So, Warly will be re-"salted" for the next update ?

Hello, lads ! I was surprised that the last day Klei announced the Woodie refresh coming WITH the next beta of RoT. That's lovely and the title is clearly revealing that the content is ocean related once again.

Y'all should be aware already of the coming boss, but there is more to that and that's cool cause the seas was lacking of population right now, a new tool has been introduced during Turn Of Tides : the Fishing Net, to catch Antchovies, that spawned during a period and had been removed of the worldgen recently, so I guess this is about to come back.

But I wasn't writing this cause of that.

When Warly appeared to DST, he introduced Spices to the game, there was 3 of them, from Honey, Pepper and Garlic, and I do to believe that the most curious here did to notice this little thingy in the spice.lua file :

return MakeSpice("spice_garlic"),
    MakeSpice("spice_sugar"),
    MakeSpice("spice_chili")
--spice_salt

(The full file)

Spoiler

local assets =
{
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/spices.zip"),
}

local function MakeSpice(name)
    local function fn()
        local inst = CreateEntity()

inst.entity:AddTransform()
        inst.entity:AddAnimState()
        inst.entity:AddNetwork()

MakeInventoryPhysics(inst)

inst.AnimState:SetBank("spices")
        inst.AnimState:SetBuild("spices")
        inst.AnimState:PlayAnimation("idle")
        inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_spice", "spices", name)

inst:AddTag("spice")

MakeInventoryFloatable(inst, "med", nil, (name == "spice_garlic" and 0.85) or 0.7)

inst.entity:SetPristine()

if not TheWorld.ismastersim then
            return inst
        end

inst:AddComponent("stackable")
        inst.components.stackable.maxsize = TUNING.STACK_SIZE_SMALLITEM

inst:AddComponent("inspectable")
        inst:AddComponent("inventoryitem")

MakeHauntableLaunch(inst)

return inst
    end

return Prefab(name, fn, assets)
end

MakeSpice("spice_chili")
--spice_salt

As you can see, there is a statement on the end mentioning a last unimplemented spice : "spice_salt"

So there's nothing more to tell that : "OK ! This is a Warly update !", but what is the Salt about to do exactly ? Buffing players like other spices ? Or increasing food perish time ? Is it because it's in THIS file that IT IS Warly exclusive ? Or could any survivor use it as well ? If so, salt is something common, huh ? I wonder if it could have uses aside the spice, or if only a Warly player will have the ability to refine it. :wilson_curious:

How do you feel about it ?

7 minutes ago, Paddlefruit said:

...the new resource could be salt.

This actually makes a lot of sense

And yeah, it would definitely be used to keep food fresh longer

Tbh I think it's gonna be much more literal. Like dogs that drop salt or something. 

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Yaarctopus is a trader in shipwrecked and salt was a currency in Gorge.

Ik who Yaaarctopus is. I ask you to elaborate in your theory as to why might get introduced. I don't see it. 

Maybe some of the new Warly recipes for trade?? ... But still seems very "out there" to me

3 hours ago, ADM said:

When Warly appeared to DST, he introduced Spices to the game, there was 3 of them, from Honey, Pepper and Garlic, and I do to believe that the most curious here did to notice this little thingy in the spice.lua file :

MakeSpice("spice_chili")
--spice_salt

I am now perplexed and filled with a complex emotion.

No, I know.
I know.
This seems like nothing on the surface, but...
There are things to consider here.
The coincidences just keep building.

Wortox's file mentioning NextCharacter and making references to a small goat and slaughtering, a Gorge mechanic in exact terminology.
JoeW mentioning on the Discord server that the next new character was being worked on at a time that would've aligned with that Wortox quote being added.
Implying that that character would've originally come out right around now, at an update including the name of a Gorge mechanic...

But then it was decided that Woodie should be moved up.

5d7470a89c764_TheBilliamflyEffect.png.3ac3a2e17c6192ef9cd11c8c8ba95b25.png

Then combine this with the whole Billy/Billiam/William naming hoopla from back in the Gorge.

Just...
Now I can't shake the feeling that someone at Klei had this clever plan, with naming puns and great timing and a nice surprise for the community, maybe even more hints at the previously hinted at thing about Warly possibly passing through the Gorge...hell, even his base skin name, the Culinarian, aligns with that of the temporary character skins from the Gorge...

And this narrative jigsaw puzzle was just coming together so perfectly. Teasers building up, Billy right after Warly, 2 characters thematically made for eachother, Warly gets a minor expansion based on Billiam's release to further cement it, the update naming coinciding with it, a minor little detail but something satisfying to see when it all comes together, it's all going just as planned...

And then
BAM
derailed.
And I've been in that narrative scenario.
And it hurts even when it seems like such a minor thing.
And I can't help but feel like this neat thing just totally went sideways.

And now I'm sad.

So i became hackermanTM and practically made the salt_spice thing in game and... it does obviously crash the game and it's wobbly due to it not having any code for inventory images/etc.

20190908082829_1.thumb.jpg.38e2e4d37b36c5cd7c50eafd5dca7673.jpg 

I may be able to edit the code further to make it do the thing it's supposed to do

8 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

EDIT: it seems our dear warly will be getting even more spices, notice the odd empty spots between honey and salt and right under honey, but that's my assumption

That's not really valid evidence. Klei doesn't need to leave empty space for new future textures. The reason that image has so much empty space is because TEX files always have dimensions that are a power of 2.

7 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

So i became hackermanTM and practically made the salt_spice thing in game and... it does obviously crash the game and it's wobbly due to it not having any code for inventory images/etc.

20190908082829_1.thumb.jpg.38e2e4d37b36c5cd7c50eafd5dca7673.jpg 

I may be able to edit the code further to make it do the thing it's supposed to do

How would you know what it's supposed to do if it doesn't have any code?

51 minutes ago, Electroely said:

That's not really valid evidence. Klei doesn't need to leave empty space for new future textures. The reason that image has so much empty space is because TEX files always have dimensions that are a power of 2.

How would you know what it's supposed to do if it doesn't have any code?

1. I didn't know that, thanks

2. I didn't look at all of the code so I was thinking that there would propably be a part of the code where it would say what it's supposed to do.

If we're talking about Gorge, my guess is that since they don't want to host anymore events on their own servers for financial reasons, they can just let us host the events on our own servers. So theoretically, Gorge and Forge are both not dead.

'Cept Forged Forge might be if this actually happens :shock:

Archived