[Poll] Poll on the Old Bell for DST

Poll on the Old Bell for DST  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have the Old Bell on Don't Starve Together ? (and why ^^)

I wanted to make a poll to see your opinions on it :wilson_smile:

For those who only played on DST and don't know yet, Big Foot is a giant that can be summoned from the ocean with the Old Bell that you can drop its blueprint after mining the Glommer's Statue (You can still have Glommer since it is only damaged), it will stomp on the location you ringed the bell and walk forward before returning to sea. It was very useful to destroy trees planted together, or to deal a strong 1000 damages groundpound on close entities.

My opinion is that it could be a very useful way to farm wood for players that don't have a strong forager on their team like Maxwell & Woodie, maybe it could get outclassed with the use of a Reanimated Skeleton and Thurible after a certain time (only work during night).

The fact that is can deal damage have a limited uses for "fight" in DST since the giants like Deerclops, Bearger and others have an increased health. But 1000 damages is 1000 : it's big, so you will maybe find greater uses from farms like a Tallbird Fortress or when you start having to much Beefalo in a herd.

Last thing is about griefing, someone may ask if this item is not to dangerous to handle, but I'd just like to make a reminded that a torch is as dangerous when you don't light something in a safe spot, the Old Bell just work the same. Anyone can destroy a world with two cutgrass and twigs.

5 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

They would have to tweak it some way to make it possible to obtain the blueprint multiple times OR have some ritual you'd need to perform to obtain a single bell instead of having a blueprint.

Yeah actually it could be nice if there is an actual way to repair the Glommer's Statue ! So you can mine it to get another blueprint if you want it too

I use a mod to add it back, since it's such a fun addition to the game. It's a shame it didn't make it into DST; would love for it to come back :) 

Also, a new method to obtain it would be needed. Mining the Glommer Statue wouldn't really work imo with multiple people

I don't think it should be added because:

1) Havesting. While it is a good way to harvest trees, its requirment that it's carrier only spawns once a full moon, its reliance isn't really that great. Compare this to thurible+skelly bones which can be done every night and will return the materials to do it again.

2. Fighting. So I put this in same catigories as gun powder, It easily deals the most damage in a short time but that power is also really difficult to properly use. The wait time makes it so that you have to stand still for a moment to summon him and then keep the mob there just to damage them. Even with multiple mobs, they can easily walk in different directions which means that you have to either kite them in a small area or pen them up which would require more time and resources. I just don't really see its viablity as a weapon.

3) Griefing. So I am starting to get tired of the torch arugement. Due to the wide spread of it, you can plan for it. Sure it may take time to set.up proper defenses against them, . Compare that to giant foot that once summon will hit your base and will destroy it. The problem is that you prepare for fire griefing, you can easily rebuild and catch someone that tries to hammer everything, you can't stop a gigantic foot that will stomp where it was summoned. Now I not saying that all items should be taken with griefing in mind, but this one was just so perfect for the amount of chaos it can cause. Its random nature to just appear in a direction also means that you go way off to use it which or risk one of your teamates just randomly dying from its walking on the path. Sure they can see the thumps, but that doesn't really work as the direction is random and thus if they both move or stand still they have to them a equal chance of dying.

Im not saying its a bad item, its actually realitivly decent in single player. But with it's utilities being less useful then other methods, it not being strong enough, and the invetiable chaos that would insure by the right or wrong player wielding it would make it to much of a danger to other players and thus I say it shouldn't be added in. The concept of having old bell is appealing but its destructive power combined with the relative randomness makes it good for being alone but would make everyone else be scared as that bell is a medithorical loaded gun, just waiting for someone to use it.

2 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

you can't stop a gigantic foot that will stomp where it was summoned

That's a fair point, seeing as we can carry items that negate fire, like luxury feathers and water balloons. And you can't stop Bigfoot. 
I kind of wish the game would have a config option to enable it or not, so if you're playing with people you trust, you can have it enabled, or if you're on a public server, you can possibly only let admins or certain people use it. A privilege system would be pretty good for these types of situations.

I kind of disagree with your first two points, because even if it's an inaccurate harvester, it's still something the player can make and use of their own will. Plus, I think it's fine if it's not as effective in combat as it was in singleplayer. The last thing we need is an item that allows us to kill bosses with no effort.

I actually don't really use the Old Bell all that often. In my day 400 world, I have a chest full of them, and only occasionally pull one out to stomp some trees every so often. 

If it was added in DST, not only would it ofc cause a lot of base cause, both accidental and purposefully, it'd make ANOTHER contender for being a good log harvester. And as a Woodie main...

No.

Even if tweaked 1000-ish dmg is pretty minimal compared to the health that a lot of bosses have in the multiplayer version (15,000-27,500 usually). In the base game where say Deerclops has 2000 Health, it takes out half the guy's hp and is not a bad way to go. Honestly I'd rather see it replaced considering the chaos it would cause instead of being helpful (breaks my heart, but it's true).

I'd just like it if something was added that makes use of the Glommer wings and flower. They have no purpose in DST. It wouldn't have to be the bell. Just something that uses those items rather than just having them be a flammable consolation prize if your Glommer gets eaten by hounds.

Now would be the time to bring it back, if Klei is planning to ever do so. Descends from the sky, summoning item comes from a Moon-related creature...

Wall of text about why I think the item is fine:

Spoiler

I'm not terribly worried about seasonal bosses being trivialized given that they can be Telelocated away with a fairly easy to build staff to avoid the fight altogether, or brought to Dragonfly for a free kill. And where those fail, ie the more stationary bosses, Pig/Bunny/Tentacle/Gunpowder spam succeed. Even if the Bell as-was were used on most DST bosses, they'd take multiple hits before going down.
Heck, I still use those first couple tricks on Deerclopse sometimes, due to how frequently public server groups tend to sit in base, then run around in circles watching it wreck everything. Might as well just delete the problem, hah.

Griefing is a good point, and presumably is the reason for the removal in the first place. But...yea, it's ultimately an issue of trust in the group you're playing with to not use it in a bad location, or trust in the managers of the server you're playing on to perma-ban the bad apples; something that's already done on a regular basis with the server locusts who go around setting fires and hammering stuff. Public servers aren't anywhere near grief-free at present; rollbacks and repeated kicks are a constant occurrence.

Heck, I'd kind of rather Old Bell griefers; it's big, flashy, and pretty hard to hide your intentions. Make the Bell sound and ground-stomp rumble happen server-wide, and we've got a griefer detection system! We'd have to rollback if someone set a fire anyway; at least with ques like that, we'd know to go look.
Could also make it so that the Ocuvigil just...glares at the Foot if it's used nearby, scaring it into lifting back up into the sky without doing any damage. One neat little trick to block "Ooh, what does this button dooo?" incidental griefing.

Ultimately though, I think the best solution would be to let Winona reverse-engineer some of Wagstaff's tech from single-player and link it to her electrical system to make her more generally useful, and give Thumper a skin that makes the hammer portion look like Big Foot.

Archived