[Game Update] - 359645

23 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

(But not the other way around.)

Why not?

I understand there are cases where it's more convenient that you can't make a mistake by allowing that replacement, but there are also cases where it's more convenient to ALLOW this replacement. This seems arbitrary.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tuhljin said:

Why not?

I understand there are cases where it's more convenient that you can't make a mistake by allowing that replacement, but there are also cases where it's more convenient to ALLOW this replacement. This seems arbitrary.

I agree with the difference, but I was one of the champions of not doing this.

I (and others) have had issues where the interface has itself a moment after a save or other pauses where a click is suddenly dragged all over the screen.  It's one thing if I simply swap a few ladders with some tiles in that moment.  It's another if I miss removing *everything* and suddenly I have an access port into the vacuum chamber.  There are plenty of other scenarios where I don't want tiles to be replaced with ladders, but that's my immediate use case and concern.

Call it use error if you will, and I don't want a full OSHA system, but I do prefer a few railings at least on the cliff's edges.

2 hours ago, Tuhljin said:

Why not?

iirc when they initially rolled out the "tiles and ladders can replace each other" change, it was possible to replace tiles by ladders, but there was an issue where you could not build ladders over dry-wall. Trying to do so deconstructed the dry-wall (leading to obvious serious issues in space), so I'm assuming that plays at least a part in the changed behaviour...

46 minutes ago, xialeth said:

iirc when they initially rolled out the "tiles and ladders can replace each other" change, it was possible to replace tiles by ladders, but there was an issue where you could not build ladders over dry-wall. Trying to do so deconstructed the dry-wall (leading to obvious serious issues in space), so I'm assuming that plays at least a part in the changed behaviour...

Ladders counted as blocking space exposure (no need for drywall), which was great since drywall takes way too long to construct. But if you built-over ladders, like normal to plastic, then your dupes couldn't path through them until reload, which was pretty bad.

• Like 1

I love walls and ladders being able to replace each other. I think the biggest advantage is that the materials for the overwritten wall/ladder are supplied before the new wall/ladder is built. It's built right over the previous tile so it skips the whole deconstruction step and takes one less order to do the same action. SO MUCH time saved!

• Like 1

Anyone else getting unearned "Some Reservations" achievement ? (it's the one for having 4 reserves)

Since the update, a few seconds after loading my save I'm awarded "Some Reservations". I didn't have it before because I only have 2 reserves here.

Loading a previous autosave triggered the same buggy behaviour.

28 minutes ago, 535596_1452787942 said:

Anyone else getting unearned "Some Reservations" achievement ? (it's the one for having 4 reserves)

Since the update, a few seconds after loading my save I'm awarded "Some Reservations". I didn't have it before because I only have 2 reserves here.

Loading a previous autosave triggered the same buggy behaviour.

This has been happening for several patches without much rhyme or reason. I had it happen on my most recent base with just one nature reserve after a while during saving.

11 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Here's kind of the reason why you can't overwrite ladders with tiles. It was buggy, and still is.

Okay, that's a reason to not have a feature temporarily but surely that's not relevant to the intended design. I'm a programmer myself so I know some bugs are hard to squash but it'd be good to know if this improvement is planned.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, cblack said:

How many dupes do you have?

I feel like I'm the only person who has either never had this happened, or just never noticed/cared.  That said, I run with an extremely low number of dupes for most of the game, at 4.  Only take more when I just need to stuff them into rockets and leave them there for the rest of their lives, i.e. eternity.

I think many new players go with this philosophy but eventually realize it is just super inefficient and hurts you in the long run. No reason to not get up to at least 6-8 dupes.  Maximize the efficiency of your skills without really putting any strain on anything.  There is no upside to staying at 4 dupes other than it is just what you are used to doing which is fine I suppose.

Edited by EnderCN

3 hours ago, EnderCN said:

I think many new players go with this philosophy but eventually realize it is just super inefficient and hurts you in the long run. No reason to not get up to at least 6-8 dupes.  Maximize the efficiency of your skills without really putting any strain on anything.  There is no upside to staying at 4 dupes other than it is just what you are used to doing which is fine I suppose.

Actually when I started out I got many, many, many more dupes.  Over time I've gotten less and less, as there are upsides.  Namely, FPS, especially in late game, is better.  So I see no reason to get the 12 that the printing pod keeps asking for.

2 hours ago, cblack said:

Namely, FPS, especially in late game, is better.

How much better? In your late base could you spawn in 5, 10, 20 more dupes and tell us how many frames you've lost?

Edited by Grimgaw

It's tough to give a definitive number, because FPS is subject to so many other things.  For instance, right now I've noticed that if you don't reload your game every so often, it will tank, and after reloading, it can be smooth as butter for while.

The biggest reason I avoid lots of dupes though is plumbing.  Building/destroying plumbing will cause major FPS drops, and the more dupes that do this at the same time, the worse the spikes become.  I think it's also a problem for ventilation, conveyors, and wires, but to a lesser extent.  With less dupes, while the spikes occur over a longer period of time, they tend to have less impact with each one.  YMMV.

@Ipsquiggle Hi! I've got a 100% reproducible crash for you in the latest update. Present in the attached save file: it crashes within a couple of minutes of play after loading. Just set it to 3-times speed and you should see the crash very quickly.

Hope this helps fix the issue! Would very much like to be able to continue with this save, have put a lot of effort into it.

Starjack Citadel - 100% Crash.sav

47 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

@Ipsquiggle Hi! I've got a 100% reproducible crash for you in the latest update. Present in the attached save file: it crashes within a couple of minutes of play after loading. Just set it to 3-times speed and you should see the crash very quickly.

Hope this helps fix the issue! Would very much like to be able to continue with this save, have put a lot of effort into it.

Wrong section. Submit a bug report.

• Developer
On 8/18/2019 at 12:14 AM, QuQuasar said:

I'm not sure how this happened, but: There's two "Ruby, Astronaut" running around in this colony who are sharing the same data. One is in the rocket, and one is somewhere near your oil. They're sharing an inventory so when one of them takes off their suit, bad stuff happens....

I've attached a version of the file with the extra Ruby removed. (The one in the rocket remains.) That should let you keep playing, and we'll see if we can figure out where the extra one came from.

Starjack Citadel Fixed.sav

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank you so much for taking the time to fix it in my save file, it really means a lot to me!

That explains why I kept seeing Ruby put on exosuits without the exosuit actually appearing on her body! I figured it for a display glitch and ignored it. I'll check the oldest autosave: if fake-Ruby isn't there, I might be able to work out when exactly it happened and send you before-and-after save files.

And since I now feel sorry for the alien shapeshifter we just unpersoned, I am definitely going to be printing another Ruby in their honour.

1 hour ago, Dan_Daniel2000 said:

So you are telling us that a clone got cloned? Dupe duplication apparently is a thing now.

I'm sure the forums are already hard at work trying to figure out how to abuse duplicate dupes for cooling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan_Daniel2000 said:

So you are telling us that a clone got cloned? Dupe duplication apparently is a thing now.

We must learn the secret to Duplicant asexual reproduction.

Just now, QuQuasar said:

I'm sure the forums are already hard at work trying to figure out how to abuse duplicate dupes for cooling.

"And if you just then raise Catalina 2's temperature to 2000 C..."

Edited by Nebbie