No patch before release ? Are Klei preparing something ?

Do you guys think there won't be another patch before tomorrow's release ? What are the big bad bugs you Still see in the game ?

Is there a chance they have more exclusive content to give us ? :D

I'm getting single-digit frame rates when dupes have access to jetpacks and jobs that require them. I've been keeping the jetpack bay locked and making em use atmos suits until the full release when (I hope) removal of software instrumentation will make fps more reasonable.

Also, my voles have burrowed into the vacuum and won't come out. There's a huge regolith backup. I'm worried they know something I don't.

Game Summary crashes for me starting yesterday, there are still a lot of times where a building (in my case Doors) will just stop allowing duplicants through despite what the permissions say (seems to happen when locking and unlocking doors), which then means I have to deconstruct the door and re-construct it. I've seen it as a listed bug already.

Also, there are a lot of times where a building simply no longer generates tasks, this happens to me with Grills and Ovens fairly frequently; and I either need to restart the game (which fixes it for a little while) or delete the grill and re-add it. This seems to happen when a destructive dupe goes on a rampage, but it isn't limited to that. It just seems to me like a lot of times errands get dropped.

I'm sure we'll see post-release bug fixes.

1 hour ago, bonzaiferroni said:

At the moment my game is almost unplayable due to single digit framerates. Before the last patch it was relatively smooth. I don't see other folks complaining about the same thing so I think it must be something fairly unique to my save file.

What cycle are you at. 

18 minutes ago, BaloneyOs said:

TBH they've probably been kicking themselves for committing to a July release. There are still questionable mechanics that will be difficult to change after release without creating a PR disaster.

Honestly, I don't think ONI would've been in a proper state for release unless they initially targeted September (and pushed it back all the way to November as things developed). I like a lot of the changes they've made, but it seems a lot like they misjudged development time considering it appears they're gonna release with abyssalite still in the game (everything else isn't a huge disaster to change after release, but normally, release means map gen is locked in, and abyssalite is a huge part of map gen that should've been removed ages ago in favor of better placement so hot and cold aren't adjacent).

I think the only real actual potentially game-breaking issue present in the current build is the late game lag. And I doubt it's just an issue they'd fix by September, or November, or December. It may just be the engine or people's CPUs or something that will always limit it. No idea how it is without the diagnostic tools or whatnot running. All the other stuff can be fixed post release and I'm sure it will. The game is really feeling very playable and bugfree compared to many AAA releases.

I like that it's getting out there now. I think that it should take some pressure off the devs and they can take their time to rethink/reevaluate whatever mechanics they feel are wrong/lacking/outdated and then compile it all together with new content as a DLC. When RoG hit Don't Starve had some key features changed (like the caught creatures hunger, for instance, which made it impossible to stockpile rabbits or whatnot). It's fine, cause it's an expansion. If someone's gonna be hell-bent on keeping their old ways, they can just not use the DLC. That alone removes a lot of potential outcry from people who want XYZ unchanged because they like their builds/habits.

And even though I'm running on a tight budget in general lately (yikes) I really wouldn't mind buying a DLC for ONI and knowing Klei got some cash influx from this game. It's a cheap game compared to the regular titles nowadays and it's been in development for a long time now. And I've spent more hours having fun with it than some other more expensive games. I'll happily throw another few bucks at ONI.

I've already got over 700 hours in the game since buying it a year and a half ago, its ROI has been incredible for me. Worth the $20 I paid for it many times over. I think it's time it released though, they will continue bugfixing post release as do most game devs nowadays and I'm tired of awful beta frame rates.

2 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

What cycle are you at. 

I'm at cycle 400ish, which is usually way before I start experiencing lag. Like I said, it was also relatively smooth before the patch so I'm fairly sure it is patch related. As for potential causes of lag, I have a room with 200+ pacus and about 100 hatches, although that doesn't usually cause this kind of lag.

1 hour ago, Cookiematico said:

Still performance and long load issues at larger bases, not even mentioning some gameplay issues and such.

Well, with parallellzing pipes, they probably have done most of what can be done. The base CPU-load that is unavoidable wth a simulation this complex is pretty high. I think many people overlook that because the game does not invest a lot of CPU in its graphics. That said, this runs very well on an old FX8350, low frame rate but smooth performance and that is in testing with the extra diagnostic stuff slowing things down in addition. I am currently looking into getting a new AMD 3700X or 3900X but feel absolutely not rush from ONI. 

As to the bugs, Klei seems to be hard at work patching what they can. I would be very surprised if they implemented new features at this time and there is lots of activities on STEAM release depot. And as to gameplay issues, I don't think anything will change there, especially as there is no consensus most of them are even issues.

5 minutes ago, cpy said:

Look how No man sky launched and look at it now. Bar is pretty low if you're willing to fix your ****.

Worthwhile to play now? I cancelled a pre-order back when it came out.

1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

Worthwhile to play now? I cancelled a pre-order back when it came out.

They added lots of stuff so yeah it's pretty much game that was promised in E3 and more. But big mmo update is coming next month so I'd wait for that.

Archived