All characters should eat like Warly

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

(seriously why are ice and sticks able to be a filler without ruining anything???)

Ice makes sense because a lot of real recipes require at least a small amount of water. The sticks are admittedly an odd choice though.

Not everyone should eat like Warly, but they should have their preferences. 

like Wolfgang don't like vegetable, foods without "meat" tag will be 20% less effective to him.

Wendy should prefer candy, food with "sweet" tag will 20% better for her.

Oh, mygod, if every single character wasn't able to fill up or heal as much by eating the same thing, I would never...play...AGAIN!!

First of all, I am _not_ into micromanaging.  Warly is _fiddly_.  I do not LIKE fiddly.  Some people do, I don't.  I just wanna slam something down my gullet so I can FREAKING _PLAY_.  (And in my case, that means "go back to exploring, building, and hopefully not being caught out by the next massive hound wave".)  I _do_ sometimes eat other things besides meatballs, but sometimes, it's just really nice to have something reliably filling that you can just eat and get on with things.  You don't always want to be searching through the fridge, inventory-managing, and searching up complicated ingredients when it's winter and your HP is _already_ low because you misjudged how far you could travel without having to reheat your thermal stone.  I think of meatballs less as "what I always eat, always, 'cos meatballs" and more as...nice reliable _comfort food_. 

Sure, "the common player" might abuse them to death; I'm just saying not EVERYBODY does.  Once I've got the supplies up and running for them, I quite like making, say, pierogies or honey hams/nuggets myself.  Also drying racks. when filled with GOOD meat, are amazing.  Just a few jerkies and the voices in your head quiet down and your wounds turn into mere scratches.  Froggle bunwiches & fishsticks are handy in the spring when bunnies aren't available (and more healy than meatballs!).  Etc.

Also...here's another more specific problem:  Meatballs have a LOT of different ways to make them, and yet, every single last one counts as just "meatballs".  Warly gets no variety points from it whether you used monster or good meat, poison mushrooms or healthy veggies, or even just ice (which would be water once it gets cooked in the crockpot!  Or maybe just steam?)  And that's always struck me as weird--surely, these dishes would taste WILDLY different?  So I say if you're gonna nerf/change meatballs, maybe instead of making them less EFFECTIVE, you make them more SPECIFIC.  Maybe only a _few_ of the recipes that work now for meatballs would still make them, and others would make other dishes? This'd also make picky little Warly happier, as now it'd be possible to make more recipes out of the basic ingredients.

I do like the ideas proposed here of:

--Certain crops only grow in certain seasons YES!  This'd be _perfect_ for me and my live off the land, randomise seasons, person-vs.-nature, more realistic farming for my Civilization challenge...all those things.  This'd suit my playstyle perfectly.  It's also just a neat idea.

--Not everybody is AS picky as Warly, but they have a favourite/least favourite food.  One each!  The least favourite one gives significantly, but not so much less so that you'd continue to STARVE, points as it would for someone who likes it neutrally/really likes it, and the favourite one would give a little bonus.  Both would be mild/balanced.

--There's also a mod called "Food Allergies", if you'd like to make this REALLY interesting. Maaaaybe we avoid the "instant death" level that allergies can have in real life, though, and only make them hurt you _some_, but..here's the fun part:  It's randomised for every player for every world, so you have no idea which foods do what until you try them!  Wink!

So...my proposed milder version of this takes from other stuff in the thread, and a mod:  Everyone has one favourite and least favourite food that SOMEWHAT affects what stats they get from it, allergies exist, and some crops are only available sometimes, as would be realistic in a pre-industrialised world.  This'd make preserving more important than it already is, too, since without refrigeration (or..pickling?) you wouldn't be able to HAVE, say, watermelon in the winter.

Also we can't do PROPER realism at all, really...'cos we all know the _instant_ you slap a Reality Filter on the game, Wigfrid would drop stone dead of scurvy.  : P

...Notorious

Just change the name of the game to "You Don't Starve (Together)" ;)

Starving isn't a thing, even with Warly. Food is easy to get, especially monster meat (you can cook and give to bird to get eggs). I only could see a change in the drop chance (and sources) of meat and in a change of recipes (like new, less hunger giving meals using ice as filler, as it's only frozen water).

On 29/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, mekane said:

First off, what a great character this is.

My favorite parts of this character are his negative traits, that he can only eat crock pot meals, the diminishing returns they give for eating the same one twice, and his hunger going down faster.  It means you have to learn a lot of different recipes and makes hunger is a bigger challenge in the game.

I propose extending this to other characters.  Its way too easy to feed in general, I think all characters should have faster hunger drain, diminishing returns on eating the same items, and have to rely on crock pot item cooking.  Maybe they could just nerf eating some of the other food plain and give diminishing returns on eating a bunch of raw berries / jerky / honey etc. in a row.

No.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:23 AM, minespatch said:

Wilson is a omnivore. He should be able to eat fruitcake due to his dorkiness of a omnivore.:wilson_ecstatic:

NOBODY can...but at Winter's Feast time it's one of the _very first_ foods I feed my pet.  Even if it's normally a carnivore.  Tradition!  XD

Also, as for meatballs and the crockpot...that doesn't take away the "Don't Starve" aspect from the game as quickly and completely as you might think.  All it takes--ALL it takes!--is ONE lightning strike before you've found quite enough gold for a rod...ONE fire hound somebody didn't notice in time...ONE idiot, ONE troll, ONE summer wildfire jumping further than you thought and bang!  Back to, if not Square One, than at least Square 1.5.  And, are you the type who likes to diligently dig up and take back every single berry bush you see and plant them in nice pretty rows?  SORRY, you might have just extincted an entire food source!  This is partly why I base in meadows where berry bushes already are and go to _them_.  (That, and laziness/not remembering/a "hey whatever" approach to base building.)  The regrowth mechanic does exist, but...s l  o w l y ...

It's never possible to be ACTUALLY stable in Don't Starve.  It's only possible to be _meta_-stable.  (A term I learned from Kurzgesagt!)  Meaning:  Things SEEM solid...until the right kind of _nudge_ comes along it and you realise it wasn't.  Even players who DO know what they're doing can frotch up sometimes.  Early on in Season 4, Stumpt Jas whacked a fire hound in base JUST before her brain could inform her of the slight red tint (this was also at night).  It can happen.  Meatballs don't mean Not Starving is taken care of permanently.

But I'm mainly posting on this thread again to say...I feel a bit bad for how I dissed Warly in this and the "I'm worried about Klei" threads.  What I mean is...his playstyle doesn't seem fun for ME.  But that doesn't mean it's not for _anybody_.  If you have the right mix of personalities among your DST friends, it's quite possible to find someone who _doesn't_ have to "take one for the team" to play the "boring character"--I already know some who PREFER being the "housewife"; adding "likes to make complicated recipes" to that isn't all that unlikely. 

ANYway, I don't object to the _idea_ of more complicated recipes.  I LOVE more variety.  That's why I use mods like "Pickle It" and "Birds and Berries and Trees and Flowers and Whatever with Friends"--more variety of plant resources--and "Waiter 101" (TONS of new recipes!)  One of my favourite things to do once I have a proper kitchen up and running in, say, Harvest Moon:  Friends of Mineral Town (YES I just just went all GBA on you) is to try different combinations of refrigerated crops and bought things to fill out my recipe book.  The difference is...you're not on a ticking clock!  My little 16-bit farmer ain't gonna drop DEAD if I don't perfect the Bodigizer XL in time.  : P

Mainly, I am just...ALLERGIC to anything that requires...BABYSITTING.  (Including actual babysitting!)  You know what I mean.  _Constantly_ having to keep checking on/maintaining something, rather than one good (Resource Here) and you're fine for a while.  It's not just Wolfgang's hunger or Warly's finickyness--it applies to other games too.  Pleasure Aspiration Sims in Sims 2 (yes, 2...why am I all oldschool today?) come to mind.  Anybody who's played that knows what I mean.  ("No, I am NOT gonna take up real life time to give you a meal out for only 250 points worth of happiness, SHUT UP!"  Other aspiration-based rewards are usually worth at least 1,000 points, for comparison.)

So...yeah.  Meatballs don't solve world hunger and Warly CAN be a fun character, and he's definitely interesting.  He's just not for me.  :)

...Notorious

Spoiler
On 29.07.2019 at 9:30 PM, mekane said:

First off, what a great character this is.

My favorite parts of this character are his negative traits, that he can only eat crock pot meals, the diminishing returns they give for eating the same one twice, and his hunger going down faster.  It means you have to learn a lot of different recipes and makes hunger is a bigger challenge in the game.

I propose extending this to other characters.  Its way too easy to feed in general, I think all characters should have faster hunger drain, diminishing returns on eating the same items, and have to rely on crock pot item cooking.  Maybe they could just nerf eating some of the other food plain and give diminishing returns on eating a bunch of raw berries / jerky / honey etc. in a row.

Absolutely not.

I think this is a good idea as it encourages making more stuff but...

• Characters in general should be able to eat non-crockpot foods with no penalty. As it has been stated: Warly starts with a crock pot, and a portable one that cooks faster; for him it makes sense to not eat non-crockpot foods.
  • Menu variety should be much less aggressive than Warly's currently is for the other characters. As in, a regular character remembers food they have eaten up to 1 day (instead of up to 2 like Warly does), and the decrease in stats should be a bit more forgiving (instead of being -10/20/35/50/70%, it should be something like -5/10/20/35/50%). Just in case, non-crockpot food also counts for the menu variety (so the more berries you eat, the less effective they are). This way it serves it's purpose of encouraging eating different stuff, but is not completely detrimental for the character. Maybe Wickerbottom can keep it as hard as Warly since she has the means to produce lots of different foods thanks to her books.
  • Wortox should not be affected by this since he doesn't care for food anyway and he already gets less benefits from eating them (also, his main source of food is souls). WX should also be in the same boat since he doesn't care for food and only uses it for fuel, but he is too strong already. There is just no winning with that robot...

I agree that it would be nice if more recipes were added that override current fringe meatball recipes. The dish is a bit strong for a 'catch-all' recipe.
Heck, there's still a hefty supply of extra crockpot dish graphics waiting to be ported over from the Gorge/Hamlet/SW.

Justice for Steamed Hams!

Archived