How to Make Waterfalls of Any Height - The Bead Pump gone wrong

Have you ever noticed a really long vertical stream of liquid in your base? I've seen posts where people call them boogers (when it's polluted water, it kinda looks like one). However, they can be quite pretty.  Have you ever wanted to reproduce it? Using the same principles as a bead pump, you can make such a waterfall anywhere you want.  Just set your liquid valve to 200g if you're using water. 

waterfall.thumb.png.02ffa57b14a2cd3113595167ca1ae527.png

You can use these to create airlocks across many levels of your base, or just one level, or from space all the way to the magma biome.  Plant trees in the middle, block of the pumps vents, and you have a park or nature preserve that anyone passing through gets the bonus from (I used CO2 so the gas levels will never need to be adjusted). Personally, I would love to walk through a waterfall park every day on my way to work. :) Hope some of you aesthetically minded folks out there enjoy this one. 

waterfall-park.thumb.png.396a069b8dd94ce4959044995e6a1b05.png

The needed liquid is somewhere around 6-7 times the viscosity rating (how much liquid rests on a single tile). With petro, I'd set my filter to 2000g. If you don't get it high enough, then the waterfall will form, but on a save/reload you will loose your lock. 

@metallichydra, this one's not an "exploity machine" like the others.  This one uses game mechanics, not bugs, to achieve the results. 

Edit:  You can also make this off the right side (see here). For more specific details, see the ONIversity post on waterfalls

5 minutes ago, Cairath said:

Is it possible to make wider ones?

3 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

You could probably put two right next to each other with opposite side offsets.

Unfortunately, for me to recreate it consistently, the effect requires having water fall LEFT. If you have the water fall right, you will get a bead pump. 

That said, yes you can make this any width you want. The picture belows shows a 2 wide waterfall. When it starts forming, it gets a little wonky for a bit, but then stabilizes.  

doublewaterfall.thumb.png.437015a9570679032ac5640124303480.png

Just now, mathmanican said:

No problem.  Glad I could add something you'll use, as I use your stuff all the time.  Here's a 3 wide one, just for kicks. 

3waterfall.thumb.png.5e78212a62f9917433ae6f1174cf3ca0.png

Once I finally update and finish coding everything, if I'm still not dead of old age by then, my dupes will get a badass waterfall :D:D

Just now, mathmanican said:

I'd love to let them use this to shower. :)  Mabye I'll just build my showers under these (course they'd loose the buff on finishing).

That'd call for some Nudist dupes to do it in a park.. haha

Bookmarked on "Want to make" list.

I was in hiatus when you introduced that bead pump. Took me a while to understand after switching back and forth multiple times between this and bead pump post.

1 minute ago, natanstarke said:

Where can i see tje viscosity of the liquid?

Let me guess. Put liquid in a single tile, and see maximum liquid that didn't fall aside? Did I do a good job in understanding your post correctly, sensei @mathmanican?

8 minutes ago, abud said:

Did I do a good job in understanding your post correctly, sensei @mathmanican?

Very well done. :applause: 

The "viscosity" of a liquid is not published anywhere, that I know of. I've been using this word for a while to describe the "overflow" or "natural minimum" mass.  I started making a list long ago, and put the details in the original liquid bead pump post.

Here is the relevant part. 

Spoiler

Note, the "overflow" mass discussed in the previous section is important for controlling the speed of the pump. You can quickly estimate this amount by dropping liquid over a single tile and letting the excess flow away.  The amount that remains on the tile is this "overflow" or "natural minimum" or "viscosity rating". This natural minimum value depends on the type of liquid, and appears to be independent of any other factor like temperature, surrounding liquids/gases, etc.

Spoiler

I'll add a table of minimal mass values for all the liquid types eventually.  For now, here's a rough idea.

• Crude/Petro - 350g to 400g
  • Water/Pollluted Water - 35g to 40g
  • Phosphorous - 6kg - 7kg
  • Liquid metals - Above 50kg - not practical for pumping without an esher waterfall or a door pump. 

As a side note, these values above also appear to affect the speed of flow of liquids as they try to equalize pressure at the same depth, which affects the escher waterfall.

11 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

I started making a list long ago

I think you should try with Salt Water, look to be a lighter 'viscosity' than anything else.
I can actually make a Waterfall around 110g/s. And Ethanol looks to be same than Water/Super Coolant btw.

21 minutes ago, Siromatik said:

I can actually make a Waterfall around 110g/s.

Have you tried doing a save/load with it?  The 200g/s I set for water is to make sure it doesn't let gas through upon save load.  You need enough output liquid so that the single missed tick when load doesn't result in gas getting through. Salt water has 35.6g as a viscotiy rating (just checked - so same as water).  If you only use 110g/s you can make the waterfall, but upon save/load I think you'll find a small hiccup in your setup. 

22 minutes ago, Caelifera said:

Does the water have any thermal effect on the tiles it falls through?

Yes.  The bead pump can provide a thermal effect that is almost invisible, and the waterfall can do it as well. 

Pretty... *eyes unfocus, stares mesmerized*

I can never be bothered to make waterlocks, corner ones sure, but stacking liquid on top of liquid.. nah. This thing however.. I don't care about somewhat wonky physics, when I can afford the time and a bit of electricity to set this up I'm totally making one. Maybe at the entrance to my first ever arbor farm I am in the process of figuring out right now.

Thank you!

Just to make sure, falling polluted water does not offgass, right? And this thing works between 6* viscosity all the way to full pipe packets?

12 minutes ago, Darkin Coaled said:

falling polluted water does not offgass, right?

Correct. But the pool at the bottom will off gas. Cover the pool with a little water and  make it a little deeper so the pump wont get your water. Should work nicely.

8 hours ago, mathmanican said:

I'd love to let them use this to shower. :)  Mabye I'll just build my showers under these (course they'd loose the buff on finishing).

Not keeping them in stinky suits anymore? You monster.

Archived