[Game Update] - 353289

Ok, so I've added skimmers to my spreadsheet and here's the setup I am looking at:

8 trees
4 distillers running full time
1 generator running full time
2 compost piles running full time
1 carbon skimmer idling most of the time
1 liquid pump idling some of the time
Some sort of gas containment structure to capture CO2

Dirt: neutral or somewhat positive via compost piles, heavily positive if you add more compost piles
Pdirt: lots and lots of it left over and available for conversion to PO2 if you don't send it all to compost piles
Water: 183 g/s minimum input, more if you want more pwater
Pwater: neutral via carbon skimmer, or as much of it as you want if you use more water and more carbon skimmers
Power: around 1000W, give or take
Dupe labor: harvesting 8 trees and flipping 2 compost piles

So. This is... an interesting setup. It sort of does a lot of things at once, compared to most current designs that do one thing and do it well. It's a monstrosity that can be configured to produce dirt, pdirt, pwater, CO2 and power in various quantities depending on your colony's needs. It can also be scaled up if necessary.

I think it boils down to whether you want to commit your colony to using it. If you do, it can take you all the way to the endgame, providing your dupes with food, water and oxygen. I suppose it's not quite as bad as it seemed at the first glance, but the complexity involved is, well... intimidating.

Edited by M.C.
  • Like 5

I think to support 1 generator it need 11.2 trees now, since only 5 branch are growing at the same time?

EDIT: for the CO2 output of 4 ethanol distiller and generator, it will need 4 nos of skimmer.

Edited by Dosephshih

1 carbon skimmer idling most of the time

1 skimmer deletes 300g/s of CO2, while 4 distillers and 1 petrol gen give 1167.67 g/s of CO2, so in theory you would need 4 skimmers running full-time to get rid of all those CO2

1 minute ago, Dosephshih said:

Ummm, i think you miss the point of the input requirement of Ethanol distiller is doubled. 

Or I miss something else?

The lumber intake hasn't doubled. It's been increased from 750 g/s of lumber to 1000 (non-ethanol outputs have doubled but they don't factor into these calculations). I think you are missing the actual math:

1 generator requires 4 distillers; that hasn't changed.

These 4 distillers require 4000 g/s of lumber.

Each tree produces 5 branches * 300 kg lumber/branch = 1500 kg lumber per 4.5 cycles, or 556 g of lumber per second.

4000 / 556 = 7.2 trees per distiller.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, M.C. said:

The lumber intake hasn't doubled. It's been increased from 750 g/s of lumber to 1000 (non-ethanol outputs have doubled but they don't factor into these calculations). I think you are missing the actual math:

1 generator requires 4 distillers; that hasn't changed.

These 4 distillers require 4000 g/s of lumber.

Each tree produces 5 branches * 300 kg lumber/branch = 1500 kg lumber per 4.5 cycles, or 556 g of lumber per second.

4000 / 556 = 7.2 trees per distiller.

Oh, you are correct, I thought it was 500g/s lumber per distiller.

Thank you for the clarification~

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

These two, more than anything, are proof that you guys read the forums :D

Somebody from Klei definitely does. Would love to have the daily summaries. Probably has items like "the cooling factions still beat each other up" in it and "somebody proposed this outrageous design today".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, crbd115 said:

@Ipsquiggle
Started testing new update and couldn't figure out why my harvest overlay kept freezing up the game and lagging out until I hovered  over an arbor tree and it showed a ton of plants growing on the same branch? Assuming this is a bug and took a screenshot of the plant itself. You can see like 8 branches at different lengths on the tree in the spot where one branch should be.

image.png

This right here caused me huge amounts of lag and made me crash 2 times.I really liked the base that was being made but it had become unstable from wild growth alone!

3 hours ago, goboking said:

Carbon skimmers are 120 watts to run, not 480.

One petrol generator and 4 distilleries output near 1200 g of CO2 per second. Which requires 4 carbon skimmers. 

If you remove gas by pumping it into another chamber, 2.3X240w for gas pumps.

Easiest way is probably to just lock the rooms and ignore 1000kg co2 per cell for a while. 

I find a bug - infinite wood harvest, - one of my wild arbor tree have "immortal" branches, dupes cut them again and again.....

60t for few min....

Looks like in some cases one tree have many branches on cell, so we can harvest lumber from 10-50 branches from this "mutants"

One of tree have 151 branches...

additional - more than 2000 decor....

Edited by Zakery
Update
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, nakomaru said:

A reduction in lumber yields is a reduction in both production and dupe efficiency.

A reduction in branch growths is only a reduction in production.

It also allows you to have 100 percent efficiency even when dupes do not immediately harvest.

I would if that change would allow 100% "harvest efficiency", but if plant a tree and wait you will end up with 5 grown branches ready to harvest.

Now your tree will grow 2 additional branches till you start harvesting the already grown branches.

=> If less (or equal) than half the branches would grow at a time we would have 100%efficiency.

Spoiler

But I see that changing the amount of branches growing at a time is a better change than nefering the amount of lumber each branch yields.

=> I would love if just 3 branches (out of the 7) would grow at once, but would yield 500kg each.

[Mostly to ensure a steady and calculable wood production. If 5 branches would just turn harvest ready before downtime starts you will lose more than half of your production.]

15 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I would if that change would allow 100% "harvest efficiency", but if plant a tree and wait you will end up with 5 grown branches ready to harvest.

Now your tree will grow 2 additional branches till you start harvesting the already grown branches.

=> If less (or equal) than half the branches would grow at a time we would have 100%efficiency.

Reveal hidden contents

But I see that changing the amount of branches growing at a time is a better change than nefering the amount of lumber each branch yields.

=> I would love if just 3 branches (out of the 7) would grow at once, but would yield 500kg each.

[Mostly to ensure a steady and calculable wood production. If 5 branches would just turn harvest ready before downtime starts you will lose more than half of your production.]

You're right, not strictly true. In practice I see them becoming somewhat out of sync. It allows you at worst 3 branches to become ready before you start to lose output.

Edited by nakomaru

14 hours ago, goboking said:

This is the wrong fix, imho.  BBQ and grilled fish are too good considering the ease with which meat and pacu fillets are acquired.  Requiring us to toss in a pincha pepper when cooking them was more than fair for the calorie increase and mid-tier Morale boost they offered.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there.  It really annoyed me that I couldn't just cook meat on its own without having to go look for peppernuts.  Also BBQ got nerfed, it's no longer a soul food.  It's just a +3 now.  And considering that the only way to get meat is to kill critters (which means ranching them for sustainable purposes) I'd say that's a fair trade.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

You're right, not strictly true. In practice I see them becoming somewhat out of sync. It allows you at worst 3 branches to become ready before you start to lose output.

Point for you, they get a bit out of sync each harvest and that can allow us 100% efficiency for our tree.

[But it´s a trade-off against duplicant´s work efficiency.]

16 minutes ago, CannedSmeef said:

It really annoyed me that I couldn't just cook meat on its own without having to go look for peppernuts.

But having a +4 morale and +kcal buff for just grilling raw meat seems way off.

=> I would prefer if raw meat would be at least tier 0 (and maybe BBQ could be lowered to tier 2).

Have you guys factored in micronutrients and the accelerated plant growth into all your calculations regarding trees and pwater outputs? If not how would it affect the outcome? Do my dupes need to use micronutrient on every branch of a tree or just the main plant?

11 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

31 minutes ago, CannedSmeef said:

It really annoyed me that I couldn't just cook meat on its own without having to go look for peppernuts.

But having a +4 morale and +kcal buff for just grilling raw meat seems way off.

=> I would prefer if raw meat would be at least tier 0 (and maybe BBQ could be lowered to tier 2).

Why not? Try to eat raw and cold meat first and then grilled. Will you fell difference? +moral and kcal

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Somebody from Klei definitely does. Would love to have the daily summaries. Probably has items like "the cooling factions still beat each other up" in it and "somebody proposed this outrageous design today".

Do not want.  There's too much cliquish infighting as it is.

15 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Database now contains entries for many of the "Page Not Found" high-level concepts, like Power, Temperature, etc.

For 2 years we have had very limited tool tips and tutorials and for good reason - why spend the man hours making a perfect manual if it might all change in 2 weeks?

This one little line tucked away in yesterday's update, more than any other update or announcement from the team in the last 6 months, makes me suspect that full release is right around the corner. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Slavyanin said:

Why not? Try to eat raw and cold meat first and then grilled. Will you fell difference? +moral and kcal

I am all for a high value of cooked meat. Steak is great ;) (If BBQ was a tier 2 food it would still be superior to all "grilled vegetables"^^)

But +4 tiers for just one processing step using no additional resources seems out of balance.

40 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Mhmmm, steak. Definitely a +4 <3

A good steak with some salt and pepper seems like an awesome meal, but without any flavoring ...

• Like 2