[Game Update] - 351615

• Developer

Return of Them Beta Hotfix

• Overhauled performing actions, including walking, while on a boat to properly handle the moving platform and lag.
  • Improved pathfinding through water for flying and amphibious creatures (only on newly generated worlds)
  • Fixed a bug where the players could end up washing ashore on the small islands or somewhere in the ocean
  • Fixed a crash when a player leaves shortly after a Gestalt was spawned
  • Projectiles launched/thrown (eg Waterballoon, Ice Flingomatic Snowballs) while on a moving boat will now inherit the boat’s velocity
  • The Waterballoon and Ice Flingomatic’s snowballs no longer bounce off the edge of boats or the land/ocean physics boundaries
  • Fixed a bug where Lazy Explorer/Wortox teleports could miss a moving boat
  • Burned Carrats now drop Cooked Seeds instead of Ash
  • The Bearger can now charge at targets it is chasing (restored behaviour from single player Don’t Starve)
  • Change Bearger and Spider Queen AI while their target is on a boat

View full update

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Nice update, but why isn't this announcement in the RoT subforums?

Edit: I'm just tired and dumb, carry on.

Or it was moved right as I was writing this and got confused.

Anyways, can't wait to see those new boss AI's and bearger rush finally! :D

Edited by fimmatek
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:
  • The Bearger can now charge at targets it is chasing (restored behaviour from single player Don’t Starve)

Can someone show me what this stuff looks like, for the console players?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

May I have some insight?

Spider queen outright ignores you and walks away.

Bearger will walk back a few feet, stare at you, and then endlessly charge at at your boat for a minute before pounding.

Is this intended?
Was hopping for swimming to be honest.

• Like 5

On 7/11/2019 at 9:01 PM, CutChemist said:
  • Improved pathfinding through water for flying and amphibious creatures (only on newly generated world)

can someone explain this to me , I appreciate it thank you

it makes them less stupid

Edited by Lizardhiney
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sokoteur said:

Will the SP Bearger update be brought to non-beta DST? (Even if not now, but when Beta ends maybe?). Unsure how old worlds will work when RoT is finished/released. Super excited either way.

Well yeah. Once Turn of Tides/Return of Them gets merged into the main branch naturally the new bearger AI will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

You mean all this time it was bug? There is three more bugs with bearger:

* Mid-aggro, either animation doesn't register until a second later or the speed changes a second earlier (probably former) when bearger takes aggro, at least of player, looks weird.

* When Bearger regularly stomp through trees loot from them not dropping. And I know this is bug because Deerclops go through trees and loot drop just fine.

* Bearger wander behavior weird, he sometime move in one direction a step, then stop instead of doing typical wander behavior. Think it happen when you leave him near edge of empty space, like rock biome for while.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Charsis said:

You mean all this time it was bug? There is three more bugs with bearger:

* Mid-aggro, either animation doesn't register until a second later or the speed changes a second earlier (probably former) when bearger takes aggro, at least of player, looks weird.

* When Bearger regularly stomp through trees loot from them not dropping. And I know this is bug because Deerclops go through trees and loot drop just fine.

* Bearger wander behavior weird, he sometime move in one direction a step, then stop instead of doing typical wander behavior. Think it happen when you leave him near edge of empty space, like rock biome for while.

This.  I've had to opt for pigs to do my dirty work with tree farms because of this. With Bearger I never get a pine cone profit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charsis said:

This is not a bug, but was in fact an intentional change made to Bearger in DST, as per @V2C in this closed Bug Report circa April 2016.

And these are the lines that were specifically added to the bearger.lua that makes it so that trees that he walks over will drop nothing (as far as I can tell).

Keep in mind that even though the lua is saying that boulders shouldn't drop their loot in addition to trees, in my experience, that part never actually worked for whatever reason (ie. trees he walks over won't drop their loot, but all the other "boulders" in the game do).

Spoiler

if other.components.lootdropper ~= nil and (other:HasTag("tree") or other:HasTag("boulder")) then
            other.components.lootdropper:SetLoot({})
        end

12 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

The Bearger can now charge at targets it is chasing (restored behaviour from single player Don’t Starve)

Having said that, I love that this was brought back. Is it possible to go the full mile and fully re-instate Bearger's ability to chop down trees?

It's been about three years since then, and we have so many other options to farm trees, both old and new (Deerclops, Toadstool, Reanimated Skeleton breaking two trees at a time, Pigs, Maxwell via the Celestial Portal, Moon Axes, etc).

I find that the even in the late-game, the biggest grind has always been wood farming, even at day 1500 for me. I spend more time farming wood than actually playing the game, so fully bringing back the Bear would make this an even better change. Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 12/07/2019 at 1:24 PM, lakhnish said:

This is not a bug, but was in fact an intentional change made to Bearger in DST, as per @V2C in this closed Bug Report circa April 2016.

And these are the lines that were specifically added to the bearger.lua that makes it so that trees that he walks over will drop nothing (as far as I can tell).

Keep in mind that even though the lua is saying that boulders shouldn't drop their loot in addition to trees, in my experience, that part never actually worked for whatever reason (ie. trees he walks over won't drop their loot, but all the other "boulders" in the game do).

Reveal hidden contents

if other.components.lootdropper ~= nil and (other:HasTag("tree") or other:HasTag("boulder")) then
            other.components.lootdropper:SetLoot({})
        end

Having said that, I love that this was brought back. Is it possible to go the full mile and fully re-instate Bearger's ability to chop down trees?

It's been about three years since then, and we have so many other options to farm trees, both old and new (Deerclops, Toadstool, Reanimated Skeleton breaking two trees at a time, Pigs, Maxwell via the Celestial Portal, Moon Axes, etc).

I find that the even in the late-game, the biggest grind has always been wood farming, even at day 1500 for me. I spend more time farming wood than actually playing the game, so fully bringing back the Bear would make this an even better change. Thanks!

How very stupid, look like bug because he can stomp tree to get loot, deerclops go through trees and give loot and so does every other mob that break tree like shadow skeleton and charging rook. How bearger going through trees OP but his stomp not? So stupid!

Edited by Charsis

There are very large inconsistencies between Bear, Deer and Rook's stompage.

bear walk will undig berry bushes for example, while deer gets blocked off by these or even boulders. Rook touch will undo anything that can be worked on with tools (by far the best method). Bear's claw swing also apparently undoes everything in the AoE but seems rather inconsistent.

Edited by Hell-met
  • Thanks 1