Workshop Cleansing

The workshop is so ****** like, here is a list of things that is wrong with the workshop.

• Huge amount of blatant stolen and re-uploaded mods with little to no changes
  • A absolute abundant amount of cringy furry OC's (or things like "Killer Sans")
  • Characters or weapons that literally break the game by being overpowered
  • (Personal peev) Mods that include art that either, doesnt try to mimic the games art style or just does not care at all (like the one mod that is literally a minecraft rocket launcher)
  • (Not a peev of mine but of others) Extreme amount of Asian language stuff (again not something that particularly bothers me)
  • The main reason why im making this is because some mods are literally so awful, like there is a mod that literally lets wendy slit her "hand" which I honestly think should be removed from the workshop

Alot of these things are purely opinion based like the one about furry oc's but I just thought Id see what other people think of the mess that is the DST workshop

Just now, CrimsonEcho said:

"creative"...

Not everyone is born with a pen in their hand. Talents must be polished other years. In other words you have to start somewhere. It's not wrong with sharing works with others. 

While I agree with others that people should be allowed to make mods they desire, there's no denying that the workshop is cluttered with thousands of mods nobody uses, making navigation very hard unless you know what you're looking for. Perhaps the "Recommended mods" tab in the mods menu in game can be expanded upon, allowing you to display the community's favorite, most useful mods and even developpers' choice picks. I had found Gesture Wheel, an essential mod from the old "mod od the week" recommendations but now it's no longer there, making many new players miss out on such an essential mod to be able to use taunts instead of memorizing and writing codes.

People create what they want or can. You don't have to use them, I don't really see the problem here... (OP mods are a thing in every game:god mode, one shot weapon...). 

You are literally saying:

"Modders! I don't like these mods! Make better ones because I don't like your ideas! Also Asian people exist! *LOUD NOISES*". 

Just now, Misa22 said:

I am writing from my phone and i cannot get rid of this box LOL

3 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Really steam just needs to add a filter to the workshop.

I'd filter out the character tag so hard.

I think you got the right idea here.

Now in general to this thread:

The Workshop is not managed by Klei but by Steam and telling people what to do with mods or in which language they should upload content is just silly. 

Half I agree, Half not. Workshop is really good but as you wrote is enough NSFW mods or just "hey its reupload without permission". Its hard to find good content - only "the best mods" tab is really helpful. But a lot of mods - good mods - is lose between mass ****s.

Workshop is magic place. Without any problems you can share mods that can do the best job in game history. With this function game can be alive though years - if devs just forgot or leaved game. Eg. Terraria was hit because had amazing mods - ofc other factors were helpful but community and devs still telling about mods as hit's part. Overwatch added workshop and maked game alive, people want to make and play funny or practice game modes. You can play "Golf with your friends", "Hot Potato", "Floor is lava" in game mode or other really crazy things.

Also through last 2 years without update, DST was and is alive. Wanna new biomes? Add mods! Wanna new game mode? Add mods! Wanna new character? Add mods! Wanna new items? Add mods! Mods are like glue or bandage, can fix everything! Buy now only 2.33$! Dont waste the time its limited offer! Oh sorry its not trade thread.

1 hour ago, Thalkas said:

Overwatch added workshop and maked game alive, people want to make and play funny or practice game modes. You can play "Golf with your friends", "Hot Potato", "Floor is lava" in game mode or other really crazy things.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if that last one was modded into Don't Starve/Together, specifically? You know..."Hot Lava"...

;)

1 hour ago, Thalkas said:

Also through last 2 years without update, DST was and is alive. Wanna new biomes? Add mods! Wanna new game mode? Add mods! Wanna new character? Add mods! Wanna new items? Add mods! Mods are like glue or bandage, can fix everything! Buy now only 2.33$! Dont waste the time its limited offer! Oh sorry its not trade thread.

YES!  Some of my favourite mods are the ones that add big, solid new things--such as entire new biomes.  I LOVE the Cherry Forest.  Love the mix of old and new, surface _and_ cave, biomes you can find all together in the MultiLands/Megarandom mod(s).  (Not sure at all that that one's gonna survive the change to the new ocean. :()  Somebody from this forum made the Sugar Forest biome from the Gorge, as well as the Actual Season Randomiser.  And then there's Extra World Gen Configuration, and the Enhanced Deserts mods, which both make different configurations of already existing biomes.  I've played with a mostly-desert world a few times, and I kinda like it.  New modes?  Yeah, there's stuff like "Caveman" which makes you literally UNABLE to use a science machine.  And then there's that one where you have to learn everything from dropped blueprints.  And there's a few that give DST some RPG like mechanics...

And for singleplayer Don't Starve, there was this insanely complex, creative one called "Up and Away" that added...pretty much an entire new WORLD above the clouds!  There's also Creeps in the Deeps, which adds an entire _underwater_ area.  There is some SERIOUSLY creative stuff and effort out there, in the modding community.

And yes, there are some really DUMB mods out there.  But as said earlier in this thread, everybody's gotta start somewhere.  Do you have ANY idea  how many peoples' first fanfics were _awful_, cliche, full of spelling errors, Mary Sue stories?  But sometimes, they keep writing, get much better over time, and then the Mary Sue stuff just becomes their embarrassing _past_, rather than the ONLY thing they can do.  It's like that.  Sure, not every modder that makes an overpowered furry anime mod is gonna go on to do great things, but some of them MIGHT.  You just don't know!  And everyone's gotta start somewhere.  If nothing else, that dips your toes in the water and teaches you the basics of the coding.

Really the only ones that full-out offend me are the ones that go really violent/hateful, or rip off others' work without giving credit. The stupid ones?  I can just...not use those.  But I don't begrudge the people who WANT to use them, at all.  (shrug)

...Notorious

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think you got the right idea here. The Workshop is not managed by Klei but by Steam and telling people what to do with mods or in which language they should upload content is just silly. 

I mentioned nothing about Klei, I said Steam specifically.

Steam needs to add a tag filter. Also what does adding a tag filter have anything to do with telling people what they can and can't upload?

2 hours ago, DavePlaysDST said:

Nope. I can’t find the “furuk yu” mod after 22 pages so I’m calling it quits. I checked John Watson profile because I assumed he made it but it wasn’t there. If John did make it he removed it.

John was banned here on these forums and from Steam's DST Workshop as well 'case his trolling (mods included) was often borderline or blatant NSFW (the incest theme being a recurrent aspect with him).

As people above stated there should be useful tags in structuring better the DST Steam Workshop, plus it should also be checked somehow for NSFW content (not necessarily removed, but marked as such/placed in a special category) and duplicates (that copy-paste thingy).

24 minutes ago, Terra M Welch said:

I mentioned nothing about Klei, I said Steam specifically.

Steam needs to add a tag filter. Also what does adding a tag filter have anything to do with telling people what they can and can't upload?

I said you got the right idea... 

The rest was just in general referring to OP... Not you 

As for tags... Steam already got tags.. The problem is that not every modder uses them. Many mods have no tags at all. 

Archived