Don't starve wikia virus?

I was on the don't starve wikia, and I got a popup saying to "click here" or all my files were going to be deleted. It said my operating system was damaged. It seems like a virus or a really, really shady attempt at clickbait. I thought wikia was a somewhat trustworthy website, this kind of surprised me. Has anyone else got this?

@Daxterr This is highly concerning, thanks for your report! We had another report about embedded malware yesterday, so there's definitely something going on. I'm not sure if we wiki admins can do something about it, certainly not if it's related to ads. I have contacted Fandom staff and am waiting for a reply.

For now, please make sure to have some sort of adblocker enabled while browsing the wiki. Logging in also removes a lot of ads.

4 hours ago, Mueck said:

I'm not sure if we wiki admins can do something about it, certainly not if it's related to ads.

Not topic related did the image posting get changed? I can now copy the image from the top right instead of having to use Firefox's "inspect page" section. It's been helpful to me as a artist, so I was just curious.

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

Install ublock origin on your browser and then check the site.

There's your meal ticket. I was just about to say that. :wilson_ecstatic:

It's always good to have an adblocker, and ublock is one of the few left that haven't become shills.

Spoiler

adblock and adblock pro are literally in the pockets of advertising agencies. They charge a premium to have ads be added to an adblocking whitelist. :wilson_facepalm:

2 hours ago, Daxterr said:

Can we get a class action lawsuit going on or something

You can't do anything againist the wikia mega-page because the ads that are picked are highly random ( therefore could be google's ad system fault )

like one time im searching for A freaking banana values and I got an ad to a MMORPG BEST OF YEAR 2020 EDITION FOR FREE

I'm surprised the fandom wikis are still used with how intrusive their ads are. Not to mention the vast number of them could present a security risk if malware tries to sneak it's way in thru them. As others have already suggested, you might want to get an ad blocker. Not only does it help with security a bit, it also makes a lot of sites more user friendly by removing obstructive ads and auto-playing video ads (those are the worst, especially when they try to hide them).

8 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

obstructive ads and auto-playing video ads (those are the worst, especially when they try to hide them).

yeah, one time my smol bean sister wanted to watch ranpunzel ( or something )

and right when she started the film a uh... private part of a woman showed up as an AD... *awkard moment.bruh*

Honestly ads need to be somehow regulated when they are hosted on a website that host children films...

@Sinister_Fang That's why I stopped being an editor on other wikia wikis. Their ads ruin any sort of design you have going on. And take up far too much of the page. 

13 hours ago, minespatch said:

Send a tweet to fandom wikia and stick with gamepedia until they reply back.

Will that matter? I thought Gamepedia was bought by Wikia/Fandom recently?

It's quite sad. 

I liked the wiki a lot. 

I could make a wiki BUT I would need tons of things, like money(for the server), content(so much skins, items and stuff), patience etc.

It would also take extremly long time to make a new wiki from scratch. I am not great with making websites it would just end up ugly and people wouldn't be able to edit anything.

Not only that but I would just end up working less and less on it so it would be half finnished on some pages and no content in some and if I tried making one it would be quite boring after a while.

There are websites that can help in making a website. I think the cost for it is $60/month if not a lot more(if you use templates), might cost less if you make your own. It was a while since I looked at the costs of servers.

21 minutes ago, eternalLocket said:

@Sinister_Fang That's why I stopped being an editor on other wikia wikis. Their ads ruin any sort of design you have going on. And take up far too much of the page.

I hear you! It is so frustrating to invest hours of work every week, to have your efforts constantly undermined by the company that runs the servers and uses your work to attract visitors. Doesn't really help with our standing in the community either.

25 minutes ago, eternalLocket said:

Will that matter? I thought Gamepedia was bought by Wikia/Fandom recently?

You're correct. Curse basically tricked us into creating the fork on Gamepedia, then sold out to Fandom just a year later. So it really doesn't matter anymore. I'm not involved at Gamepedia, but I imagine it's only a matter of time until the notorious ads start popping up.

My dream has always been an official Klei-hosted wiki, no third parties involved that don't actually care about Don't Starve, a clear situation on copyright issues , only Klei-related tasteful ads,... but that won't happen sadly.

6 minutes ago, Mueck said:

You're correct. Curse basically tricked us into creating the fork on Gamepedia, then sold out to Fandom just a year later. So it really doesn't matter anymore. I'm not involved at Gamepedia, but I imagine it's only a matter of time until the notorious ads start popping up.

I was on Gamepedia for a short time before I had heard the news about Gamepedia. I was honestly in disbelief. The ads were also my biggest concerns. It truly felt sort of like I never got away from wikia. As it stands, it doesn't seem like the ad style has reached Gamepedia yet. And I prefer to look up info on their. My mouse isn't in the best condition, and the ads aren't overly irritating on Gamepedia.

1 hour ago, Mueck said:

My dream has always been an official Klei-hosted wiki, no third parties involved that don't actually care about Don't Starve, a clear situation on copyright issues , only Klei-related tasteful ads,... but that won't happen sadly.

Ah man, that really would be a dream come true. I sometimes fantasize about organizing or joining an effort to really clean up the don't starve wiki. Bringing it up to date, fixing any false information, making it look nicer visually, basically just anything needed to at least come close to matching the level of quality that some other wiki's have. I know that I'd only be able to help with relatively basic tasks though.

Klei would be even bigger heroes than they already are if they offered to help such an endeavour by hosting the site themselves!

22 minutes ago, Stonetribe said:

Bringing it up to date, fixing any false information, making it look nicer visually, basically just anything needed to at least come close to matching the level of quality that some other wiki's have.

Ouch. That's what we're working for everyday. :)

You should NEVER ever ever and i'm gonna repeat myself: EVER click on any ads when it comes to ANY websites no matter what they say. Even trustful websites will always be infested with these darn things and will roast your pc.

Always use ad blocks

1 hour ago, Mueck said:

Ouch. That's what we're working for everyday. :)

Aww I'm sorry! I didn't mean to imply that the people currently working on the wiki were doing a bad job! >.< I only meant to express how much I'd like to help if I could do anything meaningful.

1 hour ago, bugsmand said:

You should NEVER ever ever and i'm gonna repeat myself: EVER click on any ads when it comes to ANY websites no matter what they say. Even trustful websites will always be infested with these darn things and will roast your pc.

Always use ad blocks

Some ads will specifically redirect you without your input.

15 minutes ago, BeliarBAD said:

can someone help me pls? evrytime i go on this wiki it takes 10-15 secs to load a webside and its only because of this discord thing on the right side. 

can i disable the discord window or delete it or anything?

With ublock:

||discordapp.com/widget?id=280003871533957120

Not sure if the id changes or not, so many need a joker field at the end for any id.

Archived