Interesting Wormwood Strats?

So, since a lot of people have had the chance to play Wormwood I was wondering if anyone has found interesting strategies utilizing his abilities or specifically help Wormwood.

The only DST exclusive things that I can think of that are very nice with Wormwood is that you can intentionally rot food with Toadstool's spore cloud, he works well with Wortox, and is able to reliably get living logs for mushroom planters.

I've been trying to find a decent use for both the bramble trap and the bramble husk but cannot for the life of me find anything at all that can't be achieved through other items besides picking cacti and spiky bushes with no penalty. Anyone have any ideas?

Early game for healing, I like to pick all the reeds in the swamp (Sorry wickers, hehe) and decimate the bee population and kill berry bee benson, With all the reeds and papyrus I make honey poultices which are pretty good, Also get some bug nets and make bee boxes in your base. Regularly farm the reeds and boom you got dem poultices!

Stuff I've been doing so far:

• The husk is actually a decent armor, I was wrong in my previous posts, the thing about it is that you have to take hits to use its full potential, and to compensate getting damaged its best if you are entirely surrounded. Each time you are hit you generate damage in an AOE all around you, meaning that the more enemies you have around, the more damage you are actually dealing for every hit. The best mobs for doing this are hounds, spiders, bees, and grumble bees.
    You can kill entire late game hound waves by doing nothing, as long as you have a husk, a helmet, and enough HP. Of course this is more efficient for other characters that can tank better, like Wigfrid, Wortox, or upgraded WX, but Wormwood can do it too (as long as you have something to heal after). The husk is really good to camp at one of the deserts and keep collecting cactii every time they grow, for no penalty. I've also started making farms of spiky grass, which does not seem to get diseased, or smolder in summer.
  • Early game you can stay alive by eating red mushrooms, most people in the server will not use them at that point anyway, and they give no penalty to you, just cheap hunger restored.
  • Bramble traps deal AOE which means its about the same as the husk, the more things that are around it when triggered, the better. You can quickly make 3 or 4 and use it for early hunting, it's best to place them with some distance between one another to maximize their damage. You can then heal the damage you took from making them, with glands, or poop.
  • Sleeping has been my best friend so far: Wormwood is a foodmaking machine so if you keep planting seeds you should be flooding in food really early in the game. I use that surplus of food to get well fed, chop as many living logs off my arm as hp I have left, then go to sleep to the tent until I'm at full HP and sanity. 
  • His compost wrap instantly grows any crop regardless of the stage, but honestly I feel its quite wasteful to use it for that. Compost wrap is the least item I like of Wormwood so far, it seems quite expensive during early and mid game, specially when comparing to honey poultices and healing salves, which you can gather faster and for much less effort.
  • Since you can keep crafting living logs as long as you have how to restore HP, he is great to have mushroom planters too.
  • Jellybeans do work on him, so I expect them to become my main source of healing during late game. Bramble husks help to kill grumbles during BQ fight, it ain't much, but its something. BQ fight is quite hard for solo wormwood, since you need a lot of healing items though.

So far my game with him has been very dependent of spider stuff, mostly silk and glands, but I have yet to explore other late game strategies (I've barely reached mid game so far). I see a lot of great possible synergies with Webber (spider stuff, meat for your vegetables), Wickerbottom (make the crops super efficient), and Wortox (get hp back, feed him and give him bramble husks in return so he tanks large amount of smaller mobs and wipes them out)

Healing Salve is actually better for him. You often get tons of spider gland no one ever use, and massive amount of rots from light bulbs. Rocks are easier to get than reeds too. Reeds are very limited and a poultice cost 4 reeds, instead of 1 rock in salve case. 

Also, nitre is better used for making booster shots

So in short, leave the reeds to Wicker and make the salves

my strategy for healing is spiders mostly but i have found a way to mass produce compost wrap

you mine nitre boulders

use juicy berries / light bulbs

transform a werepig to eat most of the items for large amounts of poop leave the rest to rot then boom with little effort you have like 17 of them before winter even starts

8 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Sleeping has been my best friend so far: He is a foodmaking machine so if you keep planting seeds you should be flooding in food really early in the game. I use that surplus of food to get well fed, chop as many living logs off my arm as hp I have left, then go to sleep to the tent until I'm at full HP and sanity. 

Sleeping! I had forgotten all about this mechanic and couldn't think of an early game way to heal that wasn't annoying. Tells you how little I sleep. Thanks!

The Bramble Husk is OP against weak mobs coming en masse (Frogs during Frog rain or Killer Bees) and it grants free access to the Big Tentacles if used together with a Dark Sword (and Football Helmet): You'll take a total of 2 hits (10 damage) from the Baby Tentacles till the Big Tentacle retreats into his hole.

Characters that probably work well with Wormwood:

• Webber: Can easily create an early game Spider Farm which grants access to Monster Meat, Spider Glands and Silk
    • Spider Glands are always good for Wormwood as he can't heal himself with food and it's 4 times as effective as manure
    • Silk can be used for a Siesta or a Tent which grant access to a way too easy way to restore your health as Wormwood
      • Don't forget to craft Living Logs before sleeping because the durability of the tent does not depend on how long you use it
    • Monster Meat can be eaten by Webber or Wormwood with almost no penalty (Wormwood takes only sanity penalty which can be restored with seeds or a tent easily) and it can be used for Meatballs or Pierogies or to refresh your hunger before using the tent
  • Wigfrid:
    • The Bramble Husk has pretty low durability and requires you to tank enemies which isn't the best for Wormwood; Wigfrid takes less damage, heals herself when attacking mobs, and has access to her Battle Helmet which increases the durability of the Bramble Husk and reduces taken damage
    • Wigfrid can't eat Wormwood's vegetables but they can still be used as fillers for Meatballs or to cook Pierogi
  • Wickerbottom:
    • Wormwood can plant seeds even more dense without the need of seeds or manure and they're affected by Applied Horticulture which makes farming Dragon Fruits etc. way too easy
  • Maxwell/Woodie:
    • Can chop many trees without any effort which prevents Wormwood from gaining insanity; Maxwell can share his pinecones with Wormwood as a portable sanity source
  • Wes: Grants easily free bone shards & planted seeds grow a bit if behing haunted as ghost

Characters which probably don't work well with Wormwood:

• WX-78:
    • Spoiling Vegetables can always be converted into seeds or Crock Pot food and the easily crafted Fashion Melon isn't best for WX-78 due to the wetness he gains from wearing it

So, it has come to my attention that bramble traps are actually waaaay better at killing hound waves than tooth traps despite doing 20 less damage. The reason is that bramble traps have a noticeably larger area of effect radius compared to tooth traps.

In an experiment where I put down 20 bramble traps, and 20 tooth traps and had 10 hounds go through both trap fields the bramble traps was able to kill every single one almost every time where as the tooth traps struggled to kill more than 1/2 to 3/4 of the hounds each time. So, bramble traps are actually very good, just not for single target damage. But realistically nobody was using tooth traps for single target damage in the first place so bramble traps are pretty much better than tooth traps.

1 hour ago, ButterStuffed said:

bramble traps are actually waaaay better at killing hound waves than tooth traps

Another advantage of Bramble Traps is their cost.

For each Tooth Trap you need to chop 0.25-1 Trees, pick 3 Cut Grass and kill ~8 Hounds or 1 Fire Hound or 0.5 Ice Hounds.
For each Bramble Trap you need to kill 1.2 Bees and heal 20 health.

Bramble Traps are really early game and require almost no ressources at all, but they're hurting everyone (Players, allies, Walls, etc.).

My playstyle is completely different when playing wormwood, I find I have zero time when setting up a farm!

First time I find myself wanting a pumpkin farm for high raw food value, rather then a dragonfruit farm, since wormword does not benefit from dragonpies.

Everyone knows that Wortox massivly benefits Wormwood, But there relationship is actually both ways.

Due to it's AOE, the bramble husk is fantastic at dealing with bees. This means that a Wortox can simply equip it, run at a killer bee hive, and then let himself get attacked.

The wortox gets easy souls, he can heal himself and get living logs at the same time, spend the rest of the souls on living logs, and then rince and repeat. It's extreamly easy and cheap, and the only real issue is the bone shards.

On 6/6/2019 at 11:31 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

Early game you can stay alive by eating red mushrooms, most people in the server will not use them at that point anyway, and they give no penalty to you, just cheap hunger restored.

Oof, there goes my way of easily committing suicide in-game. :wilson_cry:

Archived