Get a previous version of the game ?

I'm fine with playing single player, i'm also not a big fan of mods, i basically use just geometric placement and combined status, i like my game to feel authentic

And about the upcoming content, i'm not really interested, since the latest content felt like a mod with bad taste for me.

And yes, it's true, one of the reasons for this is wormwood's graphic design, but there is more to it than that.

When i first picked up this game, there was no sanity, no tree guards, and no winter. And since then, the devs added so much content that if it were to make a list, it would be longer than santa's list on christmas, and through all that content added, there wasn't one thing that felt "out of the game" or of bad taste.

But lately, i won't even comment, it's not even worth it.

5 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

Wait why do you want to avoid wormwood?

His extremely poor graphic design, and the different font on his lines, it makes me want to kms. i just feel like someone is forcing me to play with a bad taste mod installed.. 

30 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

The reason i asked for what i asked above is because i'd like to dodge the turn of tides update as well..  i know i know, i'm just a hater, just give me my candy and i'm happy with it

if you're on Steam you can try literally copy + paste (backup) the game folder and then once the update passes, paste it back.

it sounds stupid but for some games it does actually work.

I...kind of agree a bit with the original poster, here.  Not because I hate Wormwood in this case, but because, well...

--The new ocean is SUCH a big, sweeping worldwide change that I'm sure none of my previous worlds will work when "Turn of Tides" hits the main branch, regardless of what mods I was or was not using on them. It was bad enough when something in "A New Reign" made me have to give up my best world ever; now I'm betting they'll ALL crash.  And I'm definitely not the only one.

--The new ocean is freaking dull and ugly.  The Island Adventures and Tropical Experience mods' sailable ocean is way cooler looking.

--(whines) I LIKE THE CARDBOARD CUTOUT OCEAN BETTER!  Visually, I mean.  It really drives home the idea that the Don't Starve world is fake, artificial, just a "stage" that the characters are "playing" out their lives on, and it looks old-timey theater-ish, and it fits Maxwell and Charlie (and  Wigfrid!) and...I dunno, it's just so _iconic_ to the Don't Starve look to me.  I don't want that gone forever.

--Since we have a CANON sailable ocean now, bye bye Island Adventures.  Sigh.  And I never got around to playing with it much, either!

--The mods' (Shipwrecked) boats go faster.  True, you can't make bases on them...burt I've heard that you need like 20 masts to even get the boat up to walking speed?  WHAT.  Also getting caught out on the ocean during Hound Night is pretty much instant death.

--Basically, the whole deal of all the above is that this is juuuuuust enough towards Don't Sink Together to _break_ the fan interpretations, but not Shipwrecked Together enough to REPLACE them.  Except for the cardboard cut-out stage water.  I still want that to stay because it's SO Don't Starve, to me.  I like the _option_ to switch over to sailable water (especially if there's somewhere to sail TO) but I wouldn't want it all the time.

--I'm only KINDA interested in the moon stuff, but not enough to make all of the previous worth it.  And the horror hounds can go.............away.  Forever, as far as I'm concerned.

Just give Wormwood the ability to tame carrats and/or saladmanders as pets and I'm good, as far as Turn of the Tides goes.  (shrug)

...Notorious

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

--Since we have a CANON sailable ocean now, bye bye Island Adventures.  Sigh.  And I never got around to playing with it much, either!

You're aware the Devs are helping IA port SW to DST with the new ocean, correct?

Actually no, I was not aware of that.  I'm not in on the loop.  I'm not in on MOST loops, to be honest.  But I'm used to that.

Still don't want the cardboard wave oceans to be completely gone from DST, though.  Maybe I can play a REALLY heavily modded version of singleplayer, I dunno, but it definitely won't be the same.  (And, again, that only works for PC players.)

...Notorious

42 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

I really like the cardboard cutout water, and I hope that it at least gets to be an option after the new water is officially added to the game. Maybe an ocean toggle switch on the world generation menu?

Not gonna happen, unfortunately.. lately they seem to rush everything and not put much though behind actions, feels like the original DS dev team left the building.. 

1 hour ago, Deprecious said:

Not gonna happen, unfortunately.. lately they seem to rush everything and not put much though behind actions, feels like the original DS dev team left the building.. 

This... isn't true at all.

Like, c'mon, they care a lot about their community, and their own game.
What've they rushed? Sure, Hamlet was a bit wobbly, but that's a new team of new people trying their hardest, and they've fixed most of the issues.

Plus, all this new content is showing us they're still here and are willing to take their time to iron out everything.
If it were "rushed" we wouldn't even have the Beta in the first place, and just a buggy update.

1 hour ago, -Variant said:

This... isn't true at all.

Like, c'mon, they care a lot about their community, and their own game.
What've they rushed? Sure, Hamlet was a bit wobbly, but that's a new team of new people trying their hardest, and they've fixed most of the issues.

Plus, all this new content is showing us they're still here and are willing to take their time to iron out everything.
If it were "rushed" we wouldn't even have the Beta in the first place, and just a buggy update.

The reason i say that is not gonna happen is because klei stated they won't ship the new update as a DLC to not divide the player base, keeping both ocean versions is gonna do just that, divide the player base..

The latest content on DST is rushed, it can be seen from the hasty decision of implementing such massive changes to the RoG world, it can be seen from the quality of the art in the beta, it can be seen from the way wormwood was implemented to the DST rooster ( they started a beta update, then dropped a character that wasn't in the beta to the official version  ), it can be seen from how wormwood's update arrived with quite some problems ( some stuff was crashing the game )

Hamlet is as buggy mess, it should be labeled as a beta, it's riddled with issues, the game performance is atrocious ( i played shipwrecked constantly on 60 FPS without hamlet installed, with hamlet installed i get fps drops to 30 quite often, in hamlet i get drops to 20 FPS ), i can't even create a hamlet world with "large" size settings, because it get stuck loading, the new characters' (Wheeler, Wormwood, Wagstaff) art design doesn't fit at all with the other, wilba is the only active Hamlet character that fits, and she still needs a little bit of work on her color fillings, etc.

I don't doubt that Klei cares a lot about their community and their own game, in fact, i know that very well, and i think that's the problem, they stress too much about releasing new content as soon as possible, it would be better if they would take their time, i'd rather wait and have less content if that means better quality content.

I play this game since the alpha, and for seven years the dev team did a flawless job with the updates, they were always careful about what they added to the game, but in the last 6 months, they dropped the ball, they planned too much content for a short deadline

I cannot recall where I saw it, but somebody posted a screenshot a while ago with noticeable differences in quality between new and old sprites (I think it was newer skins; in a side-by-side comparison they looked technically quite better than some of the old ones). I also believe this is quite common for games that have been around a while and still receive updates. Although there might be inconsistencies at some point I'd say it for the better in the long run, before most of the updates are in place (art style-wise or otherwise). If Klei had known at the start how DST would take off they certainly would have made things a bit different from the beginning. I also kind of miss the original feeling of Don't Starve that DST had at the beginning but I am more than excited as well to see where the new direction will take DST. The fact that boats and seafaring was recently added to the beta branch is extremely exciting for me. Hopefully it will be implemented in a nice way.

There might be a mod for Wormwood's font in the future, making it more like other character's. I know Glermz wanted it to be green aswell so there might also be a mod that makes Wormwood's text green.

I think the design of wormwood is great and so does other people.

A lot of people like the ocean. I wouldn't be suprised if there will be different sea mobs added to it.

And as people have said, it won't replace the SW mod. 

Klei said something in the lines of that they will change the release date if they feel it affects several things, their team, the content and so on.

I like that DST is getting a lot more content. I like both Wormwood and Wortox. I am happy to know there will be more characters added.

I know Warly will be added, maybe 2 more characters? Since Warly is "character refresh" unlike Wormwood and Wortox.

Having looked at it properly in game now (I had to go off the beta first lol), I agree on Wormwood's font.  WHAT..._is_ that?  Geh.

On a more serious note, I also think it's a legit complaint that probably now EVERY older world with the original ocean will not work after Turn of the Tides goes official...which will be...all of them, that weren't made just recently on the beta.  Every single one.  We were given instructions about how to port over our old worlds with A New Reign, but I can't even picture HOW any of these would transfer over safely.  It's just too different, and too...everywhere. 

Now, sure, some people who are using mods that suddenly turn incompatible are always susceptible with new big changes, so sure, there's always gonna be a FEW people who lose a FEW worlds.  But this is gonna affect even those who play _totally vanilla_, are ALLERGIC to mods, hate them.  (Or are playing on console.)  _Every single last person_ is gonna lose their worlds, even if they copy and transfer the files to the correct folders and everything.

That...a bit much.  I don't think we've had a change that destructive before...

If there IS a way that they can be just magically poofed! into the new (ugly) ocean configuration, then good. Feel free to tell me about that. At the moment, however, I just picture the game trying to load entirely wrong stuff around the edges of everything, internally going --DOES NOT COMPUTE-- and crashing with a confusing "Dedicated server failed to start" message.  Not that I'm painfully familiar with that message myself, or anything... :(

...Notorious

Please don't be rude and try to at least contribute something to the thread when posting a reply.

4 hours ago, Deprecious said:

The latest content on DST is rushed, it can be seen from the hasty decision of implementing such massive changes to the RoG world, it can be seen from the quality of the art in the beta, it can be seen from the way wormwood was implemented to the DST rooster ( they started a beta update, then dropped a character that wasn't in the beta to the official version  ), it can be seen from how wormwood's update arrived with quite some problems ( some stuff was crashing the game )

I don't believe that this shows that the new content is rushed at all. You can't really judge how hasty a decision may be. You probably weren't in their office when they discussed it.

Which art in the beta would you call low quality? I think most of it looks good, other than the obviously unfinished ones like the seawreck boat fragments and seastacks. The beta shouldn't even be considered something you CAN call rushed. It's literally an unfinished update. They haven't put all the time they plan on putting into it yet. You can only call it rushed once it's been merged into the main branch, the one any player that wants a good experience out of this game is expected to go to.

Wormwood was put into the main branch first because he's DLC. People are paying for him and thus they shouldn't be forced to either play him in a potentially buggy version of the game or wait to June 20. He was already a finished Hamlet character, too.

Archived