Allergies the only medical issue that kills dupe now

25 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Somewhere a designer is now crying, crying about not being able to give the dupes enough personality to have them be remembered by. You, you are a terrible person :wilson_cry:

Have you been chatting with my wife? Don't believe everything she tells you. :D

7 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

Namely one technically can deduct one bar (25s) of sleep since they sleep on average 30s per cycle additionally.

I do that. Narcoleptic dupe gets one bar less sleep. Works pretty well and makes them fully productive. I think I will take more of them in the future.

As to allergic, I just managed to get the bugger on a massage table in time. There is a real need for some adjustment to the new sicknesses. 

17 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I do that. Narcoleptic dupe gets one bar less sleep. Works pretty well and makes them fully productive. I think I will take more of them in the future.

They also get a morale boost for having that nap. So it might not be such a bad trait.

I'm giving a second thought about being ok with narcoleptics. The real annoying thing about this trait is when a dupe cross the map to dig, let's say a single tile, and falls sleeping right before digging it. Another dupe is sent to do the job if it's in high priority. So you have a lot of time wasted and double work force spent on a minor task.

Hm...I suppose I'm going to be the first to bring this up then.

Floral scent dies off incredibly fast in just about everything. You could probably have it set up with automation so that no dupe with Allergies enters a room with floral germs.

Just cordon them off like every other dupe. Segregation is the only way to run a colony doncha know?

gossipp.png.7e46688a7359158ec851d57177d88bf7.png

Spoiler

I only picked some up because I needed to see the animations for my thread...no I won't plug it here, I'm p sure I'll get smote for plugging again.

I know this might sound obnoxious, but what if Dupes developed allergies? It'd kinda work like how Claustrophobic, Workaholic, Vertigo Prone, Sensitive Feet, and the others work, wherein a dupe would become so accustomed to something they're unable to handle not doing what they're accustomed to, at least not without causing stress.

Spoiler

public class CLAUSTROPHOBIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Claustrophobic";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant feels suffocated in spaces less than four tiles high or three tiles wide";
		}

public class FASHIONABLE
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Fashionista";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant dies a bit inside when forced to wear unstylish clothing";
		}

public class CLIMACOPHOBIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Vertigo Prone";

public static LocString DESC = "Climbing ladders more than four tiles tall makes this Duplicant's stomach do flips";
		}

public class SOLITARYSLEEPER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Solitary Sleeper";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant prefers to sleep alone";
		}

public class PREFERSWARMER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Skinny";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant doesn't have much insulation, so they are more temperature sensitive than others";
		}

public class PREFERSCOOLER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Pudgy";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant has some extra insulation, so the room temperature affects them a little less";
		}

public class SENSITIVEFEET
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Delicate Feetsies";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant is a sensitive sole and would rather walk on tile than raw bedrock";
		}

public class WORKAHOLIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Workaholic";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant gets antsy when left idle";
		}
	}

In case people were wondering.

So in this example if a dupe is not regularly exposed to floral scent, they'll develop allergies. It can still be a rolled trait, however dupes can also gain the trait through certain circumstances.

4 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

I know this might sound obnoxious, but what if Dupes developed allergies? It'd kinda work like how Claustrophobic, Workaholic, Vertigo Prone, Sensitive Feet, and the others work, wherein a dupe would become so accustomed to something they're unable to handle not doing what they're accustomed to, at least not without causing stress.

Reveal hidden contents

public class CLAUSTROPHOBIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Claustrophobic";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant feels suffocated in spaces less than four tiles high or three tiles wide";
		}

public class FASHIONABLE
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Fashionista";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant dies a bit inside when forced to wear unstylish clothing";
		}

public class CLIMACOPHOBIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Vertigo Prone";

public static LocString DESC = "Climbing ladders more than four tiles tall makes this Duplicant's stomach do flips";
		}

public class SOLITARYSLEEPER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Solitary Sleeper";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant prefers to sleep alone";
		}

public class PREFERSWARMER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Skinny";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant doesn't have much insulation, so they are more temperature sensitive than others";
		}

public class PREFERSCOOLER
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Pudgy";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant has some extra insulation, so the room temperature affects them a little less";
		}

public class SENSITIVEFEET
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Delicate Feetsies";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant is a sensitive sole and would rather walk on tile than raw bedrock";
		}

public class WORKAHOLIC
		{
			public static LocString NAME = "Workaholic";

public static LocString DESC = "This Duplicant gets antsy when left idle";
		}
	}

In case people were wondering.

This is really interesting, is this currently in the games files or is it something you created? I really like the idea of having traits like this. 

7 hours ago, Gracefulmuse said:

This is really interesting, is this currently in the games files or is it something you created? I really like the idea of having traits like this. 

These are currently in the game files, and in fact you can add these traits in using the save editor, and they do work.

What I've found is that the highly debilitating traits like narcoleptic, no dig, no build, no cook, and squeamish (and allergies in QoL3) are very detrimental in the start of the game but become totally manageable as your colony grows and you can afford specialization. In a colony of, say, 20 dupes, if 5 of them cannot perform a task it is not a big deal because the other 15 can, and those 5 can always do something else in the meantime. If a dupe has a high starting level in a certain skill that you seek or has lots of interests (now meaning that they can take on more jobs with the same morale requirements), it could be beneficial to take them even with a debilitating negative trait. However, I find that allergies and flatulence require significantly more effort to overcome than other negative traits.

Still, allergies, narcoleptic, flatulent and anemic (and to some extent, noodle arms) are instant deal breakers for me but this is merely my playstyle. 

8 hours ago, MiroZagorsky said:

Still, allergies, narcoleptic, flatulent and anemic (and to some extent, noodle arms) are instant deal breakers for me

Oh this just gave me an idea. What if you could cure those traits like you can do with allergy. On may way to the suggestion forum. > >

On 4/15/2019 at 7:02 AM, Coolthulhu said:

It's clearly down there with narcoleptic, flatulent, no-dig, no-build, and anemic on the list of "never ever take, even if dupe has 3 good traits".

Well, with the new Skills system instead of job system, eventually you could level up your dupe until Anemia is no longer a problem, but I kinda see where your coming from, where it does take a bit to get them up to speed with normal dupes.

3 hours ago, kurzaen said:

Well, with the new Skills system instead of job system, eventually you could level up your dupe until Anemia is no longer a problem, but I kinda see where your coming from, where it does take a bit to get them up to speed with normal dupes.

They'll always have that extra lag and it will still be noticeable near the cap. Especially with a suit on.

It's not debilitating, but there is simply no reason to have to tank that. The good traits aren't all that good. By endgame, you really only care about two of them: diver's lungs (in water-starved colonies) and twinkletoes. And anemic is an opposite of one of those.

So I noticed something with the sneezing from slimelung that was a bit disturbing.  My dupes stress skyrocketed and I've seen some dupes with very low kcal counts.  Seems that when the dupe jumps in the shower they go to sneeze and it interrupts their shower and they are left grimy even though they've showered for 80-90% of the required time.  Also I've seen them eating and stop eating for a sneeze and their kcal counts are much lower.  I've not seen them sneeze their way out of the bathroom yet, so don't think that is a thing.  Just a FYI, as I saw my stress spike up to 15% when normally mine is almost always at 0-2%.

13 minutes ago, FiannaTiger said:

Just a FYI, as I saw my stress spike up to 15% when normally mine is almost always at 0-2%

For me that happens from allergy. One alregic dupe gets like 10% in an instant from an allergy reaction sometimes spiking up to 35% while other dupes don`t break 5%. The dupe also seems to ignore the allergy cure if it`s downtime leading to extra stress.

On 4/15/2019 at 6:02 AM, Coolthulhu said:

Allergy is so obviously terrible I don't see why would anyone pick a dupe with it except to check it out.

It's clearly down there with narcoleptic, flatulent, no-dig, no-build, and anemic on the list of "never ever take, even if dupe has 3 good traits".

I think I’ve got the same negative trait avoidance.  I also avoid noodle arms and the no research one. 

I aim for loud sleepers/small bladder along with no cook/care/art etc. 

Archived