Wolfgang rework and ideas

Wolfgang is one of my favorite characters, I wonder what his new attributes will be. I hope he'll be next after Willow gets reworked, because he has nothing but his transformation from Wimpy to Mighty and his declining mental health. It would be nice if Wolfgang got a natural defense of 20% damage for example.20190405_172551.jpg.2e75d3f8ff816cf8f20ac619232f6bd7.jpg

I think sanity impact is kinda weak for Wolfgang .. He is not affected by monsters as much to make it a thing... A higher sanity loss while fighting monsters would be on theme 

as for natural armor? Not really. With his huge health pool he can walk around with no armor most of the time. Natural armor would be OP. 

I hope the devs can give him something to help with his Co stant need of food... Maybe dome structure related to food or farming... 

4 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

I don’t know how the devs could go about nerfing him without making him boring though, what fun would he be if he didn’t get that strong at full hunger?

I agree.. Joe mentioned before that his intent is not nerf but expand the experience.. And that's a cool place for rebalance 

I like the idea of Wolfgang having "panic attacks" when insane or near insane. Panic Attacks could basically stun Wolfgang for one to three seconds with increasing severity as sanity drops, with him flailing his current tool around in the air or something. It'd be a downside that is *actually* a downside, and his other perk of increased sanity drain would put more emphasis on this.

27 minutes ago, Canis said:

stun 

Downsides, optimally, should be fun to play around. Players should be able to develop strategies to circumvent them (for example wendy crafting multiple flowers, woodie planning out full moons, webber destroying all the pig houses in the base).

Stuns aren't fun. Especially when they activate with insanity, which is basically required to trigger if you want to gather NM fuel.

Just now, FloomRide said:

Downsides, optimally, should be fun to play around. Players should be able to develop strategies to circumvent them (for example wendy crafting multiple flowers, woodie planning out full moons, webber destroying all the pig houses in the base).

Stuns aren't fun. Especially when they activate with insanity, which is basically required to trigger if you want to gather NM fuel.

Maybe add onto the stun with the added mechanic that nearby mobs will get hit because Wolfgang is flailing around, acting like an AoE attack. It's still something to look out for because there might be times where you don't want to stop running from something, but viola, the downside is now semi-decently-okayish and now kind of fun.

39 minutes ago, Canis said:

I like the idea of Wolfgang having "panic attacks" when insane or near insane. Panic Attacks could basically stun Wolfgang for one to three seconds with increasing severity as sanity drops, with him flailing his current tool around in the air or something. It'd be a downside that is *actually* a downside, and his other perk of increased sanity drain would put more emphasis on this.

The problem guys with a stun is that wolfy could potentially get stunned to death if one stun from hunger follows another from sanity... That's too much... A bigger sanity effect around monsters is much more fitting and least annoying... Stuns sound fun in paper but not so much in-game. 

Wolfy is a good character as he is and tbh a deep nerf would kill the fun of his character... I hope the devs work around something that complements him and focus on help others to reinforce the togetherness aspect of the game.

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

The problem guys with a stun is that wolfy could potentially get stunned to death if one stun from hunger follows another from sanity... That's too much... A bigger sanity effect around monsters is much more fitting and least annoying... Stuns sound fun in paper but not so much in-game. 

Wolfy is a good character as he is and tbh a deep nerf would kill the fun of his character... I hope the devs work around something that complements him and focus on help others to reinforce the togetherness aspect of the game.

Did you just say the same thing twice you silly Goose

I personally love the idea of “panic attacks” or super hard to fight in sanity for Wolfgang, as he would still be powerful, just with a powerful downside.  Perhaps insanity could be dangerous enough to the point where it should be almost always avoided as Wolfgang.  This would give him an interesting playstyle focused around sanity and hunger management for extreme power, and encourage his Tankey fighting style even more, as he wants to end the fight as quick as possible.  While I’m not sure how dangerous insanity should be for him, it seems to have lots of potential to make him a balanced, and even more interesting character.

29 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

I personally love the idea of “panic attacks” or super hard to fight in sanity for Wolfgang, as he would still be powerful, just with a powerful downside.  Perhaps insanity could be dangerous enough to the point where it should be almost always avoided as Wolfgang.  This would give him an interesting playstyle focused around sanity and hunger management for extreme power, and encourage his Tankey fighting style even more, as he wants to end the fight as quick as possible.  While I’m not sure how dangerous insanity should be for him, it seems to have lots of potential to make him a balanced, and even more interesting character.

2 stuns one for hunger and one for sanity isn't as "fun" as it sounds. Increased negative sanity from monsters does. And it would make farming for NF with him kinda impossible if he had 2 stuns.

moreover, he would have a stronger reason to have queen crowns around.

No, I don’t think the stuns are a good idea, but sanity would be a wonderful threat to him if done right, like if the shadow creatures were more powerful.  I may be getting ahead of myself, as he is far from nerfed yet, but if he is balanced enough Klei may be able to remove his “hunger” stun, which I find more of an annoying than interesting mechanic.

I don't think boosted power with his bare hands would even matter, as weapons are so easy to make, literally combine flint with a stick to make an Axe, and that 'perk' is negated.

As for him being 'stoopid' I kind of like that, perhaps it only applies to 'complex' items though, like ones made on the Alchemy Engine.  While I think an insanity nerf would be better, it's hard to say that wouldn't fit with his character.

i personally think just an increase to his sanity modifier would be enough on him, since he already needs to be eating a lot. if thats not enough, he could deal x0.75 damage while insane, regardless of hunger state. it makes sense to the character (you know, hes too scared to swing the weapon at full force) and covers his lack of downsides without being unfun and unpredictable, as you can avoid and control it easily

3 hours ago, sosiskaKi said:

Wolfgang is stoopid: can't prototype more than one item per day.

i think wolfgang is not actually stupid, he just doesnt know english very well. that might as well be the case for wes but we will never know

On 4/5/2019 at 7:45 PM, Datanon said:

i think wolfgang is not actually stupid, he just doesnt know english very well. that might as well be the case for wes but we will never know

Darn, I was going to make a joke along those lines but you already beat me to it. I do kind of like him having some sort of intelligence perk, but I'm afraid that limiting the amount of items he can prototype might be incredibly tedious and unfun. Maybe instead he simply wouldn't gain the 15 sanity from prototyping an item for the first time, explained as him having a hard figuring it out and the struggle is just frustrating for him. I don't think that he's "stoopid" by any means, but her certainly seems like the kind of guy who would have a bit of trouble using brains over brawns.

I think his sanity issue should be stronger in the dark and near negative auras.

But regardless of that, as a new thing I've been thinking that he could have a new perk based on that of the forge (but not the same):

Once every 3 minutes when his hp is below 50% he has a chance to turn to "rage mighty" when he gets hit. Let me explain a bit further.

Rage mighty is a special type of mighty form which deals 2.5 damage, makes him faster (0.5 speed) and gives him a small damage resistance, but it only lasts 5 seconds, then has a 3 minutes cooldown to trigger again. This mighty form can trigger regardless of your hunger state, as long as you are below 50% of your max hp, and after it ends, you will go back to whatever form is fitting to your hunger value.

The point: Its just a fun all or nothing new thing for him, basically a fight or flight perk that will give you a new tool to either finish off a fight or run away. It can also technically give you one last chance even if you were in wimpy state, as this form does not work related to your hunger. After the 5 seconds end you can't trigger this perk anymore for 3 minutes so you shouldn't be able to abuse it so easily.

I like how (in)sanity is junctioned to attack power but this should be a perk for a Don Quichotte-esque character ;). A berserk/rage ability would be really nice.

Because I am on the side of team-oriented perks how about a war cry that increase the defense or offense for some seconds (like Wig's battle cry in The Forge)?

Archived