Wolfgang rework and ideas

1 hour ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Cool idea, but the last thing any character in the holy trinity (or quad now) needs is a new perk, as whatever happens to Wolfgang, I don't ever see him becoming an under-powered character.

What I think is gonna happen is that characters that are currently underleveled, like Willow, will get a pretty big buff, whereas characters that already are super strong, like the trinity, will get a smaller buff (hence my Wolfgang suggestion with a smaller buff) so everyone ends up with something new, but being about the same in power.

Keeping the strong characters exactly as they are, or nerfing them, would be boring and would make a lot of people upset. And that doesnt sell the new skins that are coming with each refresh either.

Soo, they’re making Don’t starve even easier now, I don’t quite know what to say about that.  I suppose it’s good from a business standpoint, but there are still better ways to make the game easier.  Now I kinda wish Klei could inplement a “hardmode” though idk how that could work.... :(

18 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Soo, they’re making Don’t starve even easier now, I don’t quite know what to say about that.  I suppose it’s good from a business standpoint, but there are still better ways to make the game easier.  Now I kinda wish Klei could inplement a “hardmode” though idk how that could work.... :(

The game is also getting new content, new biomes, bosses, and most likely a rebalance of whats currently in the game. Also I dont think having all the characters to be closer to the wickerbottom level would make it easier, since wickerbottom currently does exist and its not like everyone just plays her. It will make the game more fun to be experienced with different playstyles.

11 hours ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

how is this making the game easier? before the reworks the trinity was just as powerful

the only difference now there are just more playstyles to become that powerful

As someone who has given Wolfgang a lot of thought and a lot of playtime (and I even wrote a rebalance mod for him) I'm a little concerned about the direction nerfs are taking in this thread.

Wolfgang is too strong currently, but giving him even more self stuns or crippling downsides when going insane is a basic requirement for gathering nightmare fuel is less a nerf and more "smashing his kneecaps."

The best way to rebalance Wolfgang would be to reduce his absurd stat totals, remove his speed boost, but give him more utility.  For example, in my mod I have Wolfgang carry marble sculptures at dramatically increased rate and has a max of 200 health and 150 sanity (even while mighty).  Base speed carrying something heavy is 25% of normal, with my Wolfgang it's 75% of normal if he's carrying while mighty.

In a similar vein, he ignores slowdown from marble armor and a piggyback while mighty, making both of those items substantially more appealing.  With mighty not providing a speed buff but having utility, it caps at 2x hunger rate instead of 3x.  There's no reason he couldn't handle 3x, but I wanted to test with a softer nerf first.

Finally, I increased his sanity loss from darkness and monsters from a pitiful 1.1x to 1.3x which means he loses noticeably more sanity compared with previously.

I give this as a more fleshed out example as I think trading raw stats for more utility is what makes Wolfgang more fun to play.  He still has fantastic damage and his perks play more into the "strongman" theme while decreasing his overwhelming advantage relative to other characters.

Archived