A list of counter-intuitive mechanics that would be good to know?

I haven't played ONI in a while, but I'm slowly warming up for a return :) I never check any ready setups or solutions other folks come up with cause that's huge part of the fun for me to figure stuff out myself. But to be able to really do it right I'd love to have a list of all the counter-intuitive mechanics I just wouldn't guess.

What I mean is stuff like:

1. What machines delete heat (like water sieve etc.)

2. What deletes gases (like doors do, I'd have never guessed that myself)

Any other unusual interactions etc. that might get in the way of trying to logic around things. I know I had some issues setting up a closed Hydrogen contraption, despite the electrolyzers producing, in theory, more hydrogen than the generators needed and having a pipe sucking out excess gasses. I feel like I might've gotten trolled by some such trick. When I return, I'd love to know such ins and outs so I can plan accordingly :)

Well, there is:

and of course the glove:

On 30.3.2019 at 1:22 AM, mathmanican said:

Just in case you guys missed these important bug reports, here is the current infinity exploit race. 

Counter intuitive...  Hmmm..

How about the fact that the most efficient oxygen production in the game is to use Algae Terrariums ... and don't clean up the polluted water bottles after.  Just put a deoderizer near the bottles to turn polluted O2 into clean O2.

Yes, I'm aware that you were looking for heat deletion or actual bugs, but.. when I was originally playing around with this, it really blew my mind.  

6 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

How about the fact that the most efficient oxygen production in the game is to use Algae Terrariums ... and don't clean up the polluted water bottles after.  Just put a deoderizer near the bottles to turn polluted O2 into clean O2.

I believe I have something to say about that :p

On 4/2/2019 at 5:52 PM, Ellilea said:

What deletes gases (like doors do, I'd have never guessed that myself)

There hasn't been a need to delete gases since the surface biome was added.  Just vent unwanted gases out to space.

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

I believe I have something to say about that :p

I'll take credit for that as well.  Before I made my post about early O2 farming, most players thought terrariums was a useless building

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I'll take credit for that as well.  Before I made my post about early O2 farming, most players thought terrariums was a useless building

Pish posh. I've always thought they were good.

Of course I never played before they produced pwater, and never realised how good they are until your post but, um...

LOOK OVER THERE!

Some interesting bits here, thanks folks!

When it comes to door gas deletion I was more baffled by gases disappearing sometimes :D never had a problem with too much gas, i liked building max density gas boxes and sorting them out before reservoirs were a thing :9

4 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Some interesting bits here, thanks folks!

When it comes to door gas deletion I was more baffled by gases disappearing sometimes :D never had a problem with too much gas, i liked building max density gas boxes and sorting them out before reservoirs were a thing :9

It's possible to build unlimited gas boxes by partially submerging a vent in liquid to trick it into thinking it's below the 2kg limit

An exploit for sure but a popular one 

I don't know, I might be weird but I just don't feel satisfaction when using exploits at all :< I remember someone told me I was being a noob for not using a noria exploit in ANNO 1404 for my achievement run but it just wouldn't feel like an achievement to me if I did lol.

I used the 20kg plastic vents for my swag ONI gas boxes :)

Nothing wrong with that, being a beta released game is the only reason I allow myself to use exploits 

I even document and submit bug reports whenever I find a new exploit so the devs can decide if they need to fix it or not

For example: I had discovered a stiffed plant will still grow so I was able to make berry and mushroom farms that didn't use any water/slime simply by having a light automated with a clock, I submitted the bug with screenshots and the exploit was fixed in a patch a week later

2 hours ago, Ellilea said:

I don't know, I might be weird but I just don't feel satisfaction when using exploits at all :< I remember someone told me I was being a noob for not using a noria exploit in ANNO 1404 for my achievement run but it just wouldn't feel like an achievement to me if I did lol.

I used the 20kg plastic vents for my swag ONI gas boxes :)

My thoughts are: This is a single-person sandbox type game.  If you don't want to use a certain mechanic, then don't.  You don't have to rationalize your choices to others -- its your sandbox.  Also, others shouldn't claim you're "wrong" for not using a particular method.

On 02/04/2019 at 7:37 PM, JohnFrancis said:

A sheet with all the output temps of buildings. It's been out a while but I don't think anything major has changed.

F4qHzi6.png

Man i think a table like that could be added in game for new players, they will love it im sure  :).

3 hours ago, Neotuck said:

It's possible to build unlimited gas boxes by partially submerging a vent in liquid to trick it into thinking it's below the 2kg limit

An exploit for sure but a popular one 

I dont like to use this but just personal preference, i also likes to store gases as much as i can only co2 and chlorine on the lower parts of the living area i send to space until i have a good infrastructure to send them to slicks :).

23 hours ago, Pan_opticon said:

Liquid cannot be displaced by gas even of the much higher pressure.

Sadly, there's no such thing as pressure in this game,

And they just call density "pressure".:?

While pressure means the force applied to a surface per unit area
... there's no force in this game.

13 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Those things where in the forum long before you joined..

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

link?

Was not meant as insult, i searched some minutes, but it's impossible for me, to find archieved topics, when i do not know exact title (counts for my own threads too).
Not your fault when you think you are first, when forum search gives you no results.
Archieve mechanics sucks very much for me..

Just now, Oozinator said:

Was not meant as insult, i searched some minutes, but it's impossible for me, to find archieved topics, when i do not know exact title (counts for my own threads too).
Not your fault when you think you are first, when forrum search gives you no results.
Archieve mechanics sucks very much for me..

You might be right however, when I joined it was before terrariums produced PW

Ever since the change the only mention of terrariums that I saw in the forums was people being disappointed with the change and declared it a useless building or a "noob trap"

So what ever post you are thinking about (If it's before my time) most likely dealt with terrariums that didn't produce PW

Archived