How do I clean regular water that I sieved through?

3 hours ago, tzionut said:

Here is @Neotuck septic system. For beginning i recommend his 1 version :) 

To be honest I don't like the reservoir sterilizing system. I know this is almost the only viable design so far.

But I don't think this is how doors and reservoirs were designed to do.

I hope this could be changed.

If the reservoir is supposed to be shut off, there should be a way to shut if off, not with a door beneath.

If a liquid can be disinfect with Cl2, there should be a suitable device for it, not like the current situation that contents in a container can penetrate the wall and directly contact (and also conduct heat) with its atmosphere.

17 minutes ago, DreamApart said:

To be honest I don't like the reservoir sterilizing system. I know this is almost the only viable design so far.

But I don't think this is how doors and reservoirs were designed to do.

I hope this could be changed.

If you don't like it then use the alternative method we had before reservoirs came into the game of heating the polluted water to above 75C before you sieve it. It'll kill all the germs and since the sieve resets the temperature to 40C no matter what the temperature of the polluted water input was you have exactly the same result.

I posted a build with a compact version of such a sterilizer but frankly I can't be arsed to fight the search function on this forum to find it. It's mind numbingly simple any way as it's just a tepidizer, a temp sensor, a vent and a pump in the same reservoir. It uses very little power once it's heated up as all it needs to do is heat the incoming polluted water to over 75C.

You can even combine it with loads of other functions like acting as an aquatuner cooling bath and/or a sous-vide omelette cooker.

Hell, you could even extend the function further if you heat the polluted water to over 100C instead as it can then also sterilize slime.

Btw, removing germs before the sieve have the advantage that the polluted dirt the sieve outputs is then germ free.

12 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

If you don't like it then use the alternative method we had before reservoirs came into the game of heating the polluted water to above 75C before you sieve it. It'll kill all the germs and since the sieve resets the temperature to 40C no matter what the temperature of the polluted water input was you have exactly the same result.

I posted a build with a compact version of such a sterilizer but frankly I can't be arsed to fight the search function on this forum to find it. It's mind numbingly simple any way as it's just a tepidizer, a temp sensor, a vent and a pump in the same reservoir. It uses very little power once it's heated up as all it needs to do is heat the incoming polluted water to 85C.

You can even combine it with loads of other functions like acting as an aquatuner cooling bath and/or a sous-vide omelette cooker.

Hell, you could even extend the function further if you heat the polluted water to over 100C instead as it can then also sterilize slime.

Yes, that's a way to get it done.

But talking from a perspective of balancing, this is quite expensive for early game, but kinda irrelevant for late game.

I think maybe they should make game harder living with germs, so the cost of such a design could match its benefits.

1 minute ago, DreamApart said:

Yes, that's a way to get it done.

But talking from a perspective of balancing, this is quite expensive for early game, but kinda irrelevant for late game.

I think maybe they should make game harder living with germs, so the cost of such a design could match its benefits.

Expensive? How so? It takes very little effort and materials to set up. Far less than what the reservoir version.

And it's actually my preferred late game version as I can combine it with the sous-vide omelette cooker function so you can have completely dupe effort free pacu egg omelettes pretty much forever. Omelettes are high enough food quality that with decent decor even astronauts don't need higher food quality.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Expensive? How so? It takes very little effort and materials to set up. Far less than what the reservoir version.

And it's actually my preferred late game version as I can combine it with the sous-vide omelette cooker function so you can have completely dupe effort free pacu egg omelettes pretty much forever. Omelettes are high enough food quality that with decent decor even astronauts don't need higher food quality.

Ok, I forgot about the temperature resetting.

I have a simple way of sterilize germ water in open space. Not anything tricky.

Spoiler

5c94bb9142741_Screenshot(63).thumb.png.75fb99760bf68b61a34ee2c3c9b232d8.png

The reservoir doesn't have to be fully immersed in chlorine to sterilize food poisoning. What I did was to make sure chlorine stays in the valley and pump unwanted CO2 below any chlorine. No automation needed for liquid pipe, 99% germ free.

If you wanna do it 100% germ free, just add 2 shutoff before and after liquid reservoir. The one before stop the germy water from getting into reservoir in the morning, and let germ water into reservoir in the afternoon. And the one after let germ-free water out of reservoir and stop it in the afternoon.

Get a chef, make mush bars, refine them to mush fry, store them in clorine. Mush frys are already, more or less, germ free. Stored in chlorine, the will become clean in seconds. After that, no need for germ free water anymore, if you get rid of the water cooler. 

11 hours ago, minespatch said:

I'm getting better at base making but my non-polluted water now has food poisoning. How do I clean the water so that it doesn't have those germs?

A better question would be... why do you want to remove germs in the first place?

The game makes it super easy to ignore food poisoning via any number of ways.

I personally put my cafeteria and kitchen in a chlorine flooded room, for example. How many food poisoning germs are around the base is completely academic to me.

It feels like it's actually kind of difficult to give your dupes food poisoning. It's what, lice loaves and water coolers? Dupes aren't ingesting water otherwise. The window during which you care is pretty narrow.

I've still only run the one colony, personally, but I think if I started over my early game would involve lice loaves, but I'd move to fried mushrooms ASAP for the greatly reduced overhead. That wouldn't be my long term plan - IMHO stuffed berries are really the mainstay of most of the game - but once you've learned the game you shouldn't be eating lice loaves for very long.

Of course, in my own case I completely fumbled food, sticking with lice loaves way, way too long, and almost had a colony collapse when I ran out of dirt. The only thing that saved my dupes while I worked on getting my first crop of berries in was wild sleet wheat.

If I'm reading the plumbing on that correctly, each tank recirculates water until you have outside input. Which means it doesn't output anything until all 6 tanks are full. During the period when you actually might care about sterilization, that feels like a moderate investment in water. At least, that's the way I remember it.

Still, high-speed sterilization with no timers or delays is impressive. I wouldn't have thought that would work.

While I have no current need to sterilize my water, I decided to take a stab at it for science.

Sterilizer.jpg.408afbec82a58ec25349f442c992a187.jpg5c96a6d7657c5_SterilizerPlumbing.jpg.4dd6ace7201df51e00c65e580143d6e5.jpg

It's pretty simple - infected water goes in, a mechanical filter sends any germ-free water onward, and returns infected water to the tank. The investment is pretty low, low enough to be practical for the early game, though it does require researching automation.

It's not as compact as it probably could be, because I was aiming for clarity. Note that water from the filter merges with incoming water, rather than either water from the filter having priority, or incoming water having priority. This is deliberate, since if returning water had priority it'd never accept any new water, and if incoming water had priority stuff would tend to get stuck in the filter loop. Particularly if the tank gets full.

No timing is required, and no germs ever escape. It tends to emit individual packets of germ-free water early once the tank count gets below 1 germ per 10kg. It's much slower than Shane's solution, but much faster than Neotuck's bathroom solution.

It works best with sporadic inputs of water, and poorly with a constant inflow of infected water. Note that shower water tends to have no germs.

In testing, it works reasonably well with the sort of low volume you get from toilet water. I've got 20 dupes in 4 shifts, and it did the job. It would no doubt be more effective with a single shift so all the toilet water generally came in at the same time.

3 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

It works best with sporadic inputs of water, and poorly with a constant inflow of infected water. Note that shower water tends to have no germs.

I used to like this setup up, until I realize it never stops even when all water is clean. It's not anything bad, I just feel bad when system overwork, you know  "overwork". But your analysis is quite complete.

I'm not sure what you mean, since if it eliminates all the germs from the tank, and you don't add any more infected water, it will empty the tank and stop. With very, very low initial inputs it's possible to get a 40-50kg of water circling endlessly in the filter because there's never enough to pool in the tank and get disinfected, but once it gets 200-300kg of water, it'll completely clean all of it eventually.

In practice, it's going to run forever, but only because there's always going to be more toilet water.

I've recently created a new system for dealing with fp polluted water. What I do is, I use a closed loop where the polluted water gets sieved and sent back into the toilets/sinks/showers. Just before the sieve however, I use a little branching magic, which sends the excess polluted water into a couple of reed fiber hydroponic tiles which happily grow from it and give me reed fibers.

Reed plants are ridiculously thirsty. For most of the game, I felt I simply could not afford the water, I wanted the water desperately for other things. This is particularly true if you're in the stages when you're still eating meal lice, which is the only stage when water sterilization matters.

At this point I've got a large water surplus, but it's very late in the game. Even so I can't bring myself to feed reed plants when dreckos will eat balm lillies (which have no upkeep cost at all) and give you the reed fiber for so much less.

Yes, which is an advantage here. The only water going into the reeds is polluted water with food poisoning in them, which is in surplus of the water needed to keep the showers/toilets/sinks running and the sieve turns sand/regolith into polluted dirt, another useful product, as this can be composted into dirt. So the only things required for this system are sand/regolith and 120W of power, and it produces dirt and reed fibers.

Depending on your water needs, it doesn't need to be that extreme.  This system doesn't use any automation at all to kill germs but relies on the pipes naturally backing up due to the sieve being only able to process 5Kg at a time.  New germs added have plenty of time to die off before getting out of the chlorine room.  It doesn't even need to be that big, but I'm just crazy.  Normally 3 reservoirs is enough.

Archived