[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

Ultimately we felt Warbucks was both culturally problematic and not also very interesting to play so we decided to start over. We understand some people may like aspects of him, and perhaps we will bring some of those aspects back one day. In the meantime, we've decided to move on.

In general, we throw away a lot of our work in order to make something we're happy with, but generally that's before it gets released even in Beta.

All the appropriate files are still in the game in his 'retired' state and he can be played through mods, by design. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 9

3 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Ultimately we felt Warbucks was both culturally problematic and not also very interesting to play so we decided to start over. We understand some people may like aspects of him, and perhaps we will bring some of those aspects back one day. In the meantime, we've decided to move on.

In general, we throw away a lot of our work in order to make something we're happy with, but generally that's before it gets released even in Beta.

All the appropriate files are still in the game in his 'retired' state and he can be played through mods, by design. 

I can't thank you, not for this... but, it is refreshing to finally hear Klei speak on the matter.

• Like 1

Just now, SkylordElberich said:

I can't thank you, not for this... but, it is refreshing to finally hear Klei speak on the matter.

If you think about it like this, it's not like we enjoy scrapping our work. But we do it all the time. It's part of the creative process. We do very much try to avoid inconveniencing the players with this process, but it happens. 

We've had, what 5 or 6 different characters in the DS universe that were scrapped so far? I don't recall. It might do us some good some time to kind of peel back the curtain a bit about how iterative we are as a studio. But we're always so busy that gets a tough. But, thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 5

6 minutes ago, JoeW said:

If you think about it like this, it's not like we enjoy scrapping our work. But we do it all the time. It's part of the creative process. We do very much try to avoid inconveniencing the players with this process, but it happens. 

We've had, what 5 or 6 different characters in the DS universe that were scrapped so far? I don't recall. It might do us some good some time to kind of peel back the curtain a bit about how iterative we are as a studio. But we're always so busy that gets a tough. But, thanks for the feedback. 

That’s not the same as gutting an entire character you already released that people enjoyed. Your inability to make him “interesting” by your standards doesn’t mean you should just say “welp, bye bye!”

the trailers and banners including him still are basically false advertising at this point.

• Thanks 8

13 minutes ago, JoeW said:

A shame to be honest as I believe Warbucks would have been a fine character if he had gotten a proper backstory/perk rework. He didn't have to be culturally problematic yet he was written that way.

Why do Walani and Winona both being arguably uninteresting characters to play get a pass (With Winona even getting a rework down the line) while the Ol' chap gets thrown to the trash.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SandvichSpy said:

A shame to be honest as I believe Warbucks would have been a fine character if he had gotten a proper backstory/perk rework. He didn't have to be culturally problematic yet he was written that way.

Why do Walani and Winona both being arguably uninteresting characters to play get a pass (With Winona even getting a rework down the line) while the Ol' chap gets thrown to the trash.

Probably because Walani is universally loved and Winona is lore important

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

DS also doesn’t include Werther, the fun-loving Nazi, or Wizard, the satirical KKK leader, but that doesn’t make Klei Holocaust deniers or Civil Rights revaunchists. 

Er... Maybe if Klei was doing a Don't Starve style mod of "I have no mouth and I must scream"?588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

40 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Thanks so much, sheriff Joe(not being sarcastic, you really are one to me). You brought the peace once again with a calm and leveled explanation. Maybe those scrapped characters can be in the background of Griftlands if that ever happens. Again, thanks for being such a great dev and miod!

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

Walani and the other SW characters are in a released game that does not have an active team working on it and there would be a lot of work involved in rebalancing her. Winona is in a game that already has consistent changes and would not come as a severe shock to people to be rebalanced. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Just now, JoeW said:

Walani and the other SW characters are in a released game that does not have an active team working on it and there would be a lot of work involved in rebalancing her. Winona is in a game that already has consistent changes and would not come as a severe shock to people to be rebalanced. 

And yet you let Walani stay update after update in her unbalanced form and gut Warbucks without so much as trying? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

And yet you let Walani stay update after update in her unbalanced form and gut Warbucks without so much as trying? 

Walani and the other SW characters are in a released game that does not have an active team working on it and there would be a lot of work involved in rebalancing her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SkylordElberich said:

I think what Joe's trying to get at is that they did try.

Anyways, too late now. Pack up, kid, dream's dead. Gotta let it go.

If they really won’t add him back, I want a refund tbh. I bought the DLC mostly because I thought he looked enjoyable to play. 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Hey, speaking of rebalances is WX going to be rebalanced?

Yeah, I figured as much. Thanks for putting and end to all this madness tho, I'll be looking forward for the future of Hamlet.

Just now, SuperDavid said:

Warbucks may have been abandoned by Klei, but he will not be abandoned by us true dedicated fans.

So, do not worry my fellow Warbucks supporters I'm sure there will be a modder one day who will make Warbucks better than Klei ever could and give him what he truly deserved, but for now let us let him rest in peace until such a day comes.

...There already is, I think.

1 minute ago, SuperDavid said:

I'm guessing it's because he was originally supposed to be a big game hunter and he loves money is where the name came from.

I would like to see a real war between him with an army of robots and pig society

• Like 1
  • Haha 1