[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

19 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

It just never ceases to amaze me how incredibly offended some people get at the idea of other people being offended. You all have already spent 50 times as many forum posts ranting and raving about the idea that the character was removed than anyone else spent objecting to his colonialist attitudes. You’re the ones overreacting. You can’t even prove that’s why Klei got rid of him: they just said they found him uninteresting.

But if that’s why they did it, it’s probably because they made the decision for themselves that they don’t want to make a joke about something that is definitely not a joke to a portion of their player base. If I make an inadvertently racist remark and a friend tells me that it’s gross and makes them feel excluded, and I decide I don’t want to make my friend feel that way, I’m not going to change my mind because some yahoo comes along and shouts “I don’t mind racist remarks, so nobody else should! In fact, I love them because they’re Historically Accurate to what creeps like me have believed for years!” It’s just not very persuasive.

Are you equating a character that mocks and satirizes the attitudes of a time period to saying the n word?

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Are you equating a character that mocks and satirizes the attitudes of a time period to saying the n word?

No, I am not, because there is zero likelihood that I would inadvertently use that word and not know that it is racist.

Edited by Rellimarual

1 minute ago, Rellimarual said:

No, I am not, because there is zero likelihood that I would inadvertently use that word and not know that it is racist.

Perhaps my example was a bit extreme, but I still find it ridiculous. The entire setting of don't starve is rife with unfortunate implications. If anything, making an Imperalist British society (which the Hamlet towns are based off of) without acknowledging the nasty bits of such a society is disingenuous and damaging.

Wilba's dialogue would be considered completely offensive if she wasn't a non-human that can make you blissfully ignore how monarchs in tropical colonies have typically behaved.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Perhaps my example was a bit extreme, but I still find it ridiculous. The entire setting of don't starve is rife with unfortunate implications. If anything, making an Imperalist British society (which the Hamlet towns are based off of) without acknowledging the nasty bits of such a society is disingenuous and damaging.

Yeah, we all get that you don’t care about this and think people bothered by it don’t deserve to be considered. That’s super clear at this point.

• Like 1

Just now, Rellimarual said:

Yeah, we all get that you don’t care about this and think people bothered by it don’t deserve to be considered. That’s super clear at this point.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. You haven't even provided an argument. I'm wondering why you feel that being reminded of the fact that the time period this DLC was based on was nasty and brutish is somehow worse than denying it altogether.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The best way to change Warbucks would probably to make him a Archeologist with a love for ruins and bones. Remove the historical aspects and focus on what was in the trailer.

Funny thing is, back in the day British archaeologists weren't exactly respectful towards other cultures. So the poor orange grandpa will still get the slack from oversensitive virtue-signallers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Zhuzha said:

Funny thing is, back in the day British archaeologists weren't exactly respectful towards other cultures. So the poor orange grandpa will still get the slack from oversensitive virtue-signallers.

Archaeologists are pretty notorious for taking cultural artifacts from other civilizations and displaying them in their own museums. It's been a long standing debate whether or not artifacts should be returned to their home countries and be controlled and owned by their governments to preserve their own cultural heritage.

I don't see how that's a problem in Don't Starve though where you sell the artifacts to the descendants of the ancient pig civilizations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, SuperDavid said:

The same could be said that the people bothered by Warbucks don't care for the people who are bothered by Warbucks is removal and don't deserve to be considered.

Yep. I’m sure at this point, Klei heartily wishes they never introduced him to begin with, but at this point they have to weigh people who think colonialism is NBD enough to be good material for a basically goofy fun survival game vs. people descended from colonial subjects who don’t. Add to that the fact that the people in the first group just lose it when anyone suggests that the people in the second group might have a different and stronger response to that material than they do and so takes to the forums for days ranting and raving about how they should be the ones to decide whether not the second group’s feelings are legit enough to take precedence.

10 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. You haven't even provided an argument. I'm wondering why you feel that being reminded of the fact that the time period this DLC was based on was nasty and brutish is somehow worse than denying it altogether.

Yeah, pretty sure most former colonial subjects aren’t denying that.

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

Yep. I’m sure at this point, Klei heartily wishes they never introduced him to begin with, but at this point they have to weigh people who think colonialism is NBD enough to be good material for a basically goofy fun survival game vs. people descended from colonial subjects who don’t. Add to that the fact that the people in the first group just lose it when anyone suggests that the people in the second group might have a different and stronger response to that material than they do and so takes to the forums for days ranting and raving about how they should be the ones to decide whether not the second group’s feelings are legit enough to take precedence.

I do think colonialism is a big deal... that's why I'm saying it's better to satirize it and acknowledge it happened than bury it.

And as for this just being a "goofy fun survival game," need I remind you it is not only viable but encouraged to farm and murder pigmen.

Edited by Izuku_Midoriya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

DS also doesn’t include Werther, the fun-loving Nazi, or Wizard, the satirical KKK leader, but that doesn’t make Klei Holocaust deniers or Civil Rights revaunchists. 

Yeah, but we also don't have maps based off of the third reich and the reconstruction era south. We DO have a map based off of british colonies in the west indies.

Edited by Izuku_Midoriya
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

At any rate, I am poking my head up not because I think I can talk you down from this hysteria but because it seems like a good idea to let Klei know that there are players who are fine with this decision, even if some of them don’t want to get into endless arguments with you lot about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At any rate, I am poking my head up not because I think I can talk you down from this hysteria but because it seems like a good idea to let Klei know that there are players who are fine with this decision, even if some of them don’t want to get into endless arguments with you lot about it.

It's funny you should mention how you don't want a reminder of colonialism in your games when you call us hysterical, since hysteria is rooted in a fictitious disease used to oppress and belittle women.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

I don't see how that's a problem in Don't Starve though where you sell the artifacts to the descendants of the ancient pig civilizations.

One could argue that by taking the artefacts in the first place you desecrating sacred places for the pigmen, thus disrespecting their culture.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SuperDavid said:

We will do the same.

We the Warbucks supporters will let Klei know that there are many of us which are not fine with this decision!

Thankfully, we are the silent majority, but we will no longer remain quiet! We will stand loud and proud and let ourselves be heard!

I won't stand for social justice always censoring every single game I always find interesting.

Im With you! FREEDOM TO CREATIVITY!!

Edited by 4 Da LOLs
wanted it better
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

How is that a reach? You're the one who drew the false equivalency between a british colonialist in a british colonial setting and literally hitler.

And you're the one who equated killing cartoon pigmen with genocide! Seriously, listen to yourself. Even if Hamlet actually were set in the West Indies instead of Central/South America, would it be obligated to include sugar plantations and slave uprisings? I'm pretty sure that's not the game Klei wants to be developing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

And you're the one who equated killing cartoon pigmen with genocide! Seriously, listen to yourself. Even if Hamlet actually were set in the West Indies instead of Central/South America, would it be obligated to include sugar plantations and slave uprisings? I'm pretty sure that's not the game Klei wants to be developing. 

>equated killing cartoon pigmen with genocide

But... It's literally cartoon genocide. They're sapient beings in-universe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

this is abit out of nowhere but how do i revert Wilba to er normal state when she goes bore mode?

If you turned via moon then when the moon phase ends you'll turn back.

If you turned via meat then you'll revert back... eventually. Each additional (monster) meat you eat will increase the length of time.

Edited by Zeklo
  • Thanks 1