Realistic Schedules for Round-The-Clock Productivity?

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to properly create different shifts for my various dupes to allow for constant activity.

Like..

Morning Shift, Mid/Day Shift, Closing/Night Shift, etc.

Any advice or guides on how to read the schedule blocks to achieve this?

2 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Just copy the default one, but shift it 1+ blocks either to the left or right.

There would be overlapping shifts, then. I'm looking for people waking up as others are going to sleep. I can't figure out which blocks to do for that.

41 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

Then just shift by 3 blocks if your dupes sleep for three blocks.

*derp* of course. haha

On a related note... Clock Sensors.. I have a hard time working with that, as well. I want to conserve energy by having lights only in areas that are in use/occupied (bedrooms, work stations, etc.)

Any advice on corresponding percentages to go with the +3 block shifts?

I make a total of 5 shifts at the start and I space them out as if they have 5 blocks of downtime before sleeping.  The "full" 5 blocks of downtime don't overlap other shift breaks, they just overlap bedtime when the shift eventually gets 5 full breaks.

No need for excessive breaks at early game (Dupes gotta work!) so I reduce the downtime accordingly.  This prevents overlap (tho once the schedules are full, there will be one block of overlap for 2 shifts...since there are 24 blocks in a cycle).

Below shows the shifts spaced out with just 2 blocks of downtime currently.  If I add 3 more blocks you can see that the break for one ends (and they will go to sleep) then the next shift will take a break.

20190206063023_1.thumb.jpg.3df5a6ba9136345706b0df2263c7265d.jpg

As I get more Dupes (going from 3 to 4) I split them up into 2-man shifts so they can socialize with their shift partner.  When I have an odd number, the odd man goes to default sched then when I get an even number I put the odd man and the new even man into a fresh schedule.  This is to make sure they get the morale bonus of socializing.

I do this until I have 10 Dupes (5x 2-man shifts) and then from Dupes #11-15 the dupes go into the 5 shifts making them 3-man shifts.

1 hour ago, ScreenNameMissing said:

Any advice on corresponding percentages to go with the +3 block shifts?

The only point of reference we have is that 0% is when the sunset.

When then have 24 hours in a day, corresponding to 24 blocks. If we want 3 hours of that 24 hours. With a cross product we have :

3/24 = x/100 -> Cross product gives -> 3 x 100 / 24 = 12.5% for a 3 hours block.

It's your choice to set it at 12 or 13 now :)

(Never forget your rudimentary math problems. They are very usefull to resolve day to day problems like this.)

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, Christophlette said:

The only point of reference we have is that 0% is when the sunset.

When then have 24 hours in a day, corresponding to 24 blocks. If we want 3 hours of that 24 hours. With a cross product we have :

3/24 = x/100 -> Cross product gives -> 3 x 100 / 24 = 12.5% for a 3 hours block.

It's your choice to set it at 12 or 13 now :)

(Never forget your rudimentary math problems. They are very usefull to resolve day to day problems like this.)

The math is correct but that's a simple equation and has nothing to do with a cross product (which is related to vectors) :) 

2 hours ago, Heremeus said:

The math is correct but that's a simple equation and has nothing to do with a cross product (which is related to vectors) :) 

I translated the term from my mother language and it didn't end the way I wanted.

It's a cross multiplication or the rule of three in english. My bad ! 

On 2/6/2019 at 6:24 AM, angrybovine said:

I make a total of 5 shifts at the start and I space them out as if they have 5 blocks of downtime before sleeping.  The "full" 5 blocks of downtime don't overlap other shift breaks, they just overlap bedtime when the shift eventually gets 5 full breaks.

No need for excessive breaks at early game (Dupes gotta work!) so I reduce the downtime accordingly.  This prevents overlap (tho once the schedules are full, there will be one block of overlap for 2 shifts...since there are 24 blocks in a cycle).

Below shows the shifts spaced out with just 2 blocks of downtime currently.  If I add 3 more blocks you can see that the break for one ends (and they will go to sleep) then the next shift will take a break.

20190206063023_1.thumb.jpg.3df5a6ba9136345706b0df2263c7265d.jpg

As I get more Dupes (going from 3 to 4) I split them up into 2-man shifts so they can socialize with their shift partner.  When I have an odd number, the odd man goes to default sched then when I get an even number I put the odd man and the new even man into a fresh schedule.  This is to make sure they get the morale bonus of socializing.

I do this until I have 10 Dupes (5x 2-man shifts) and then from Dupes #11-15 the dupes go into the 5 shifts making them 3-man shifts.

you need to have rec time after bedtime when you have showers.  dups wake up in unshowered state so showers before bed are useless.  I prefer rec time over bath time since you get a bonus and they still shower when they wake up.

1 minute ago, chemie said:

you need to have rec time after bedtime when you have showers.  dups wake up in unshowered state so showers before bed are useless.  I prefer rec time over bath time since you get a bonus and they still shower when they wake up.

Thanks, I thought that may have been the case seeing how they are always grimy, but never bothered to check since Morale was never an issue for me.

One thing I learned about schedules and their utility to keep facilities like restrooms from overcrowding was to always break downtime schedules by one work block, do not overlap unless it's prior to bed. I haven't encountered any bathroom issues in this type of schedule, but I have an extra toilet for them. I need to create another block for the extra two in SC1.

schedule_ex.thumb.png.6036778924ec248632e062dfb4d5ece2.png

SC1 is the default, renamed, so it collects new dupes.

My night schedule is an exception for the downtime overlap since there's only one night-owl. I have three toilets - Haven't built showers yet, but I'll move bathtime to somewhere relevant when I do - I make sure to spread those out also. Dupes are always working on this schedule. Even Meep cooks at night.

5 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

One thing I learned about schedules and their utility to keep facilities like restrooms from overcrowding was to always break downtime schedules by one work block, do not overlap unless it's prior to bed. I haven't encountered any issues with that in this type of schedule, but I have an extra toilet for them. I need to create another block for the extra two in SC1.

schedule_ex.thumb.png.6036778924ec248632e062dfb4d5ece2.png

SC1 is the default, renamed, so it collects new dupes.

My night schedule is an exception for the downtime overlap since there's only one night-owl. I have three toilets - Haven't built showers yet, but I make sure to spread those out also. Dupes are always working on this schedule. Even Meep cooks at night.

given the amount of time spent returning to base, I am surprised you have multiple separate blocks which trigger returning to base.  I have always put all blocks together (rec, sleep, rec)

Just now, chemie said:

given the amount of time spent returning to base, I am surprised you have multiple separate blocks which trigger returning to base.  I have always put all blocks together (rec, sleep, rec)

I read you shower info.

I don't have a spread out base at this stage - it's not an advanced base, everything is jammed together, so you could call this an early game schedule. I created these breaks in schedules as a mechanism of dealing with reduced bathroom capacity. At some point I'll look at schedules with an eye for job role rather than these basic blocks for dupes that otherwise stay in the primary base.

And yes, it absolutely becomes an issue when building at a distance - there's always two that stick around though. two coming two going, occasionally i get all of them out there at once - early morning, late afternoon. Deliveries get made in between.. and so on.

20 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

I read you shower info.

I don't have a spread out base at this stage - it's not an advanced base, everything is jammed together, so you could call this an early game schedule. I created these breaks in schedules as a mechanism of dealing with reduced bathroom capacity. At some point I'll look at schedules with an eye for job role rather than these basic blocks for dupes that otherwise stay in the primary base.

And yes, it absolutely becomes an issue when building at a distance - there's always two that stick around though. two coming two going, occasionally i get all of them out there at once - early morning, late afternoon. Deliveries get made in between.. and so on.

I only have 5 outhouses and do not have issues in staggering.  the first rec task they do is toilet, then eat, then shower  then rec entertainment.  Sleep will interrupt whenever you place it in the sequence.  So you just have to stagger each schedule by 1 or 2 blocks.  even if their travel time causes overlap, a dup would skip the full bathroom and return when open.

I personally start with a 2/2/2 setup of Downtime/Sleep/Bath.  They'll use the restrooms during downtime, the only reason for bathtime on the tail is to allow for morning showers, since as mentioned, they lose the showered buff when they wake up.  Otherwise, bathtime is the same as work time.

The reason for 2/2/2 is so in case they get to bed late, they can still catch a shower when they're done sleeping.

Once I expand vertically to the oil and space biomes, more time is needed to get the dupes to the base core.  I then switch to a 4/2/2 setup.  I typically use 10-12 shifts for near around the clock coverage, with 2 or 3 dupes in each shift.  I don't use any of the entertainment devices (besides the water cooler) so I don't need to schedule things like the jukebot for maximum coverage.

1 hour ago, WanderingKid said:

I personally start with a 2/2/2 setup of Downtime/Sleep/Bath.  They'll use the restrooms during downtime, the only reason for bathtime on the tail is to allow for morning showers, since as mentioned, they lose the showered buff when they wake up.  Otherwise, bathtime is the same as work time.

The reason for 2/2/2 is so in case they get to bed late, they can still catch a shower when they're done sleeping.

Once I expand vertically to the oil and space biomes, more time is needed to get the dupes to the base core.  I then switch to a 4/2/2 setup.  I typically use 10-12 shifts for near around the clock coverage, with 2 or 3 dupes in each shift.  I don't use any of the entertainment devices (besides the water cooler) so I don't need to schedule things like the jukebot for maximum coverage.

replace bathtime with more rec time for stress bonus; they shower during rec time right after bedtime

30 minutes ago, chemie said:

replace bathtime with more rec time for stress bonus

you can do that but your dupes will idle until the rec time is over. bathtime = worktime if the dupes do not need to use the lavatory or shower.

With 16 dupes on 8 different schedules I have no problem with just one functioning lavatory. I originally proposed splitting dupe schedules into a lot of staggered schedules just to get out of the meta of needing tons of lavatories and recreational facilities. You can really minimize base space by using schedules to limit needed infrastructure.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:54 AM, ScreenNameMissing said:

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out how to properly create different shifts for my various dupes to allow for constant activity.

Like..

Morning Shift, Mid/Day Shift, Closing/Night Shift, etc.

Any advice or guides on how to read the schedule blocks to achieve this?

I put all my breaks at the just before bed (2-4 depending on need), sleep time, followed by bathroom time (1 block)

I maintain shifts of 4 dupes, the same number of lavatories in my single washroom.

for each shift after the first I 'slide right' so that sleep on the new schedule coincides with the bathroom time on the previous then finish the schedule and repeat.

this way the dupes can interact a little between schedules, so they can get the social interactions they need and it works pretty well, keeps things humming.  i typically have 6-8 shifts running after a 100 cycles or so depending on how the printer shuffle has been treating me.  very glad to have the option to print a non dupe now in the preview :)

Natural night-owls are pretty amazing - I haven't looked at early birds lately, do their buffs rival those of night owls? does it last as long ( 3 blocks ), +3 or +2 to all skills or is it longer? This seems relevant, night owls get a +3 bonus to all skills at night, so having them work through it is most productive.

I just started a new map and lucked out within 26 cycles I have 3 regular shift dupes and 3 night owls. And just two schedules for them since they don't overrun two toilets. There was no save scumming involved - I took one that can't build, but oh well, they actually had interests that lined up with +3 bonuses in the same skills.

This go round there is no intermission breaks like that schedule I posted before. It's two break blocks + three sleep + one break + one bath time. Night schedule is offset to mid afternoon, same pattern. Lets anyone who decided to eat all night a break block and a shower block to sleep in ( because they sometimes do this ).

1 hour ago, The Plum Gate said:

Natural night-owls are pretty amazing - I haven't looked at early birds lately, do their buffs rival those of night owls?

Night owls should have a stronger buff, but the night time is just 75s of the cycle compared to the 100s of the early bird buff time.

12 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

What @nonoxyl said.  Bathtime goes right into work time once they're showered up and facing the day.

True but I have rec time in front of bedtime to account for travel back to base.  So I then have 3 rec time slots after bed time for shower, anyone who still needs to eat, and video, dance moves, cappuccino.  Since they always shower first, there is no need for bath time.

I agree that if you have zero rec time after bed time, bath might have a place. 

Archived