Don't Starve Together leaving Early Access!

• Developer

promodst.png

Hello folks!

It’s finally time to announce that we are going out of Early Access. Our official launch day is April 21, just 2 weeks away!

As we discussed in our last update in December, we are finally at content parity with the base game. Maxwell is on his way, the mandrake is in, caves are hostable without jumping through fiery hoops -- we now feel the game is ready for the general public and we’re ready to tell everyone.

This has been our longest Early Access yet (and we’ve done 3 full games and 2 expansions through early access). Both integrating Reign of Giants and Caves were undertakings, and we really appreciate the patience you’ve had with us. Thank you!

Through the Ages

Many moons ago, we discussed launching Through the Ages, and it got waylaid by getting to content parity. We felt strongly that getting to parity at our quality standard was the most important priority, and it took much longer than expected. We’re finally here, and we are now actively working on new content. The team is breathing a sigh of relief that we get to build brand new content again.

I’m going to leave Ipsquiggle to talk about Through the Ages as it evolves, but the first step of it is coming to you at Launch: we’re putting in small variations to the basic biomes so that every generation feels a bit different, and these will transition over time as you play through the seasons.

As a refresher, the focus of TTA is the evolution of your world over a longer period of time, and more variation between worlds. This will take time to develop, and we will keep you in the loop both in beta branches and through our Rhymes With Play twitch stream, and of course right here in the forums. I’d say this is going to take about 6 months to develop, but uh, I’ve been off before.

And that’s a (Early Access) wrap!

Thank you all so much for joining us on this Early Access journey. It’s always an adventure to evolve a game with the players, and we have a ton of fun doing so. For Don’t Starve Together, launch is just signalling that we’ve achieved that first step of bringing Don’t Starve to be a full-fledged multiplayer experience.

We get that there’s still a lot more to develop -- from longer play sessions, to better modding tools, to improving the state of PvP and exploring the lore -- there’s always more to do than we have hands, but thankfully we’re here for the long haul, as long as you are, too.

Thanks!

Background Wallpaper: here

F.A.Q.

What about Shipwrecked for DST?

We don’t have any concrete plans right now. Shipwrecked was built without DST in mind, and we’re going to need to evaluate how much is needed if we were going to do this. We would all love to go sailing with our friends!

What about PS4?

It's in the works! Console development often takes longer than one would hope, but the good news is that we’ve been continually merging in the changes from PC, and the game is coming along well. We'll update you the moment we have more info.

• Developer

This. This announcement makes me feel good. I like this announcement.

I'm looking forward for today's stream and April 21! This will be one heck of a year for DST!

On 06/04/2016 at 6:09 PM, Bigfoot said:

exploring the lore

200w.gif

So, new puzzles? Please say new puzzles...

As long as you're here... I'm here.  <3

Also, Maxwell, more skins, TtA, etc.. the bit about the basic biomes made my fiance squee (and she does NOT squee....), so it sounds like you're definitely on the right track!

5 minutes ago, MenaAthena said:

So... will everyone who participated in the Alpha/Beta get a badge?

I want the badge.

2 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

That'd certainly be a nice thing to have. These forums lacks badges, it needs some more...

Does your steam need to be connected to your klei account in case they do make a badge for playing the beta?

7 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

Does your steam need to be connected to your klei account in case they do make a badge for playing the beta?

They don't mean a Steam badge, just a forum badge. Like those cogs on the left (just ignore the fact that their link was broken with the forum upgrade).

18 minutes ago, simplex said:

They don't mean a Steam badge, just a forum badge. Like those cogs on the left (just ignore the fact that their link was broken with the forum upgrade).

I know they were talking about a forum badge, but I was asking how do you get it?

2 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

I know they were talking about a forum badge, but I was asking how do you get it?

Legend has it there's a fairy lurking these forums, which will grant you a forum badge in exchange for the sacrifice of your firstborn.

Other than that, badges were either awarded on an individual basis (like my modder badge) or, in the case of the Don't Starve beta badges, given to anyone who was a member* of the forums before DS's beta ended.

* It's possible you were required to be an active member of the DS subforums, actually posting in it, to get the forum badge. This was before my time.

• Developer
On 07/04/2016 at 10:01 PM, Zeklo said:

That has me curious actually, how does one rank up exactly? I joined in 2012, granted I did go inactive for a while, but I'm still stuck as junior member.

100 posts - Member

300 posts - Senior Member

Your member title could've gotten stuck because of the update, making that your title forever. Try PM-ing JoeW about it.

Anyway, we're going a bit off-topic here, aren't we?

Can any of the devs tell if Maxwell will be changed in any way? Considering WX stat increase to 150 and telltale heart costs i don't see him staying with 75 hp, but that's his only weakness so will he get another nerf? We can't order followers to attack in DST so his shadows are already bad enough.

BTW, why can't we give attack orders in DST? I really hope we can do it by release.

2 hours ago, Serph said:

Can any of the devs tell if Maxwell will be changed in any way? Considering WX stat increase to 150 and telltale heart costs i don't see him staying with 75 hp, but that's his only weakness so will he get another nerf? We can't order followers to attack in DST so his shadows are already bad enough.

BTW, why can't we give attack orders in DST? I really hope we can do it by release.

I've seen Maxwell and how he has been changed. If you wish to not know of the changes, please do not click this:

Spoiler

Maxwell's Codex Umbra now becomes a crafting station for Nightmare helpers, which must be placed on the ground for usage, which include each of the following; The crafting recipe involves siphoning your sanity, 2 fuel and the tool needed for said helper.

Shovel Helper

2 nightmare fuel, shovel

Logger Helper

2 nightmare fuel, Axe

Fighter Help (Unique too! They can kite like pigs and regain 15 hp every 2 seconds.) 

2 nightmare fuel, spear

Only 2 Fighters can be created.

Miner helper

2 nightmare fuel, pickaxe

Maxwell's sanity gain is now that of a Tam o' Shanter. (6.7/min)

Maxwell no longer starts with a purple gem, Dark Sword, or Armor. And still retains his Book and 4 nightmare fuel on spawn.

Maxwell can STILL read Wickerbottom's books.

The Codex Umbra is Craftable, 2 fuel, 2 papyrus and 50 health. 

Maxwell's max health is still 75hp.

All of these mechanics are subject to change before the official release soon.

Archived