Future of the Forge

So after defeating Infernal Swineclops Pugna says

"We're not ready to give up yet" and "War rages on eternally"

These are the same like the ones after we defeat the Rihnos, so does that mean another boss is coming or… did Klei forgot to give him an actual lines after we beat him

1 minute ago, Szczuku said:

So after defeating Infernal Swineclops Pugna says

"We're not ready to give up yet" and "War rages on eternally"

Does that mean another boss is coming or… did Klei forgot to give him an actual lines after we beat him

That's the victory string for the Rhinos before Swineclops got added.

Seems like a bug.

Just now, Catteflyterpill said:

I hope there's more than those lines. It's pretty underwhelming, with all the hype Swineclops has been building as the final boss. I was really hoping for some more lore to be added.

Based on the string's file it's just the lines from last year. It might change when it gets fixed but I wouldn't be too hopeful. 

1 hour ago, axxel said:

Maybe Pugna will get some courage and hop into the ring next year.

This is honestly what should happen.

I was also hoping for something better for the final boss entrance.

This is my suggestion. Pugna says "You've defeated all my champions. You left me no choice. Prepare to die". And the portal would spawn a stupid-looking chicken. Then suddently from the lava jumps Swineclops and eats it.

That's how you create a nice boss entrance

I sincerely hope this doesn't mean that there's going to be more waves after Swineclops.

The Forge's problem is that it doesn't have that much replayability, it's mostly a grind for the items.

I'd rather see branching paths the enemy waves could spawn and new small enemies like pigs/crocommanders introduced than a single boss that takes few weeks to unlock BY REPLAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

(also there's the fact that we're getting to almost half an hour mark for a single match)

23 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

I sincerely hope this doesn't mean that there's going to be more waves after Swineclops.

The Forge's problem is that it doesn't have that much replayability, it's mostly a grind for the items.

I'd rather see branching paths the enemy waves could spawn and new small enemies like pigs/crocommanders introduced than a single boss that takes few weeks to unlock BY REPLAYING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN...

(also there's the fact that we're getting to almost half an hour mark for a single match)

Yeah, I'd love this. Forge has become a bit of a drag w/ each victory. Only problem would be newer players who are completely confused with what to do, more so than now. Maybe there could be a "Challenge Mode" or some kind of level filter to decide if this is on, and it rewards with more XP.

I was gonna say: Even MORE bosses?  Can't they be optional...please...?  I have yet.  To win.  A SINGLE.  FRIGGIN'.  VICTORY this year.  I suck at the combat part of Don't Starve.  I usually play with other people who kinda suck-ish too, or friends, so I don't get laughed at too much. 

I've never even beaten the Rhinocebros.  I didn't even SEE them in person until my most recent match.  It took me a long time last year to even beat the Boarrior, and even then I think it only happened like a grand total of four times when I was playing.  People posting montages of six wins in a row with all Wes's and such are really bringing me down.  You can only get a good amount of levels and from that, a good amount of chests, from a VICTORY, and I have never.  ever.  had one.  (In 2018).

Not everybody is HARDCORE BADASS MCGEE and I am sick and tired of feeling like a sucky loser.  Or being the one that everybody yells at and blames for said loss (the reason I was leery about playing the Forge LAST year)...and having it be true.   The match is now ALREADY so long it can wipe you out from sheer tiredness and boredom!

Please.  No more unavoidable bosses.  I'd like...to win...ONCE.  :(

...Notorious

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I was gonna say: Even MORE bosses?  Can't they be optional...please...?  I have yet.  To win.  A SINGLE.  FRIGGIN'.  VICTORY this year.  I suck at the combat part of Don't Starve.  I usually play with other people who kinda suck-ish too, or friends, so I don't get laughed at too much. 

I've never even beaten the Rhinocebros.  I didn't even SEE them in person until my most recent match.  It took me a long time last year to even beat the Boarrior, and even then I think it only happened like a grand total of four times when I was playing.  People posting montages of six wins in a row with all Wes's and such are really bringing me down.  You can only get a good amount of levels and from that, a good amount of chests, from a VICTORY, and I have never.  ever.  had one.  (In 2018).

Not everybody is HARDCORE BADASS MCGEE and I am sick and tired of feeling like a sucky loser.  Or being the one that everybody yells at and blames for said loss (the reason I was leery about playing the Forge LAST year)...and having it be true.   The match is now ALREADY so long it can wipe you out from sheer tiredness and boredom!

Please.  No more unavoidable bosses.  I'd like...to win...ONCE.  :(

...Notorious

Weeeeell...

Git gud.

If most people can beat them but you can't this doesn't mean that bosses are too hard. It means that you're not good enough at dealing with them 

The runtime is a bit long already. So please no more bosses, I beg of you. A lot of ppl I've played with are a bit snappy as it is.

I do like the community unlocks. It gives a gradual learning curve. (So it's not so steep, like it is now)

Its not an easy WIN because it depends on teamwork, and 1 noob could bring down the whole team. but once everyone knows their role its actually simple and easy. For the larger bosses, strategies are developed by the top 1% for us averages, so just wait a while and read up.

I actually prefer the GORGE over the FORGE, so Klei, you definitely have an audience there.

For the FORGE, because its a pretty steep learning curve and infinitely more dangerous. People have to devote more time, thought and communication, which makes the win so much more worthwhile. I love this game, even though I'm not good at it.

So don't get hung up about the WIN, just have fun.

11 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Git gud.

If most people can beat them..

If I remember well from last year's statistics on Forge, roughly 70% of all player-base playing Forge didn't win even 1 single match. Sure, like with any group, vast majority is comprised of purely casual players, ones that have 1-3 go-at-it-s and that's it. Also, again if my memory serves well, about 3% of all players that played Forge last year got all achievements. This year difficulty was amped up with new Rhino mini-bosses and Swine-boss. Sure, we got some new weapons to keep it up with them too, but am expecting about same results like last year if not worse - and that's natural, withing expected statistics. Thus no, most people can't beat them.

What I found new this year though was.. the effect those top billboards had on general populace, namely "speed-run mania", even in casuals. And that, for the most part, meant epic f*ck-ups on conveyor belt. People that didn't actually knew or knew not well enough the strats and exploits (plus micro-management mods) used by the try-hards, yet wanted almost desperately to be on those damn boards (oh the vanity of "10 minutes of fame"). For me this mania transformed runs otherwise pretty fun and relaxed (all-random, all-1-character, 4 tanks - 1 healer - 1 mage, tank runner-dasher, not-typical roles used in various circumstances etc) into tedious job-like compulsion insanity void of anything resembling entertainment.

4 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

If I remember well from last year's statistics on Forge, roughly 70% of all player-base playing Forge didn't win even 1 single match. Sure, like with any group, vast majority is comprised of purely casual players, ones that have 1-3 go-at-it-s and that's it. Also, again if my memory serves well, about 3% of all players that played Forge last year got all achievements. This year difficulty was amped up with new Rhino mini-bosses and Swine-boss. Sure, we got some new weapons to keep it up with them too, but am expecting about same results like last year if not worse - and that's natural, withing expected statistics. Thus no, most people can't beat them.

Huh? Didn't know about the statistics… now I feel even better about getting all the achivements :p

But for real. I don't see how Klei could make Forge bosses optional. I mean we got this community leaderboard thingy and it was clear as day that the more things we unlock it's going to get harder. So I don't udnerstand why people now complain that "it's too hard to win". And this is actually where the fun begins becasue we also have people saying that "Swineclops is easier than Rihnos".

Guess you can't please everyone, huh?

Well, I was never good at fighting (even today I have some problems dealing alone with the "bosses" in default game), so I practice to improve my ability.

With Forge I had many deaths (some were fun, others were frustrating), so I took more time to practice.

That "time" took hours and days, but finally I managed to defeat Boarilla, Boarrior & Rhinos. Swineclops still being a problem, but I'm sure I will defeat him soon too.

I think one problem with some people is: they want a fast Victory. But games are not made in that way, that's why they have challenges. Also, DST is about Cooperation, so, you need the help of others.

My small advice is:
-Take some time to practice and find good people who REALLY want play and have fun.
-Avoid those who harass and spend time insulting others.
-Be polite and ask for some help if you want learn new things.

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Huh? Didn't know about the statistics… now I feel even better about getting all the achivements :p

But for real. I don't see how Klei could make Forge bosses optional. I mean we got this community leaderboard thingy and it was clear as day that the more things we unlock it's going to get harder. So I don't udnerstand why people now complain that "it's too hard to win". And this is actually where the fun begins becasue we also have people saying that "Swineclops is easier than Rihnos".

Guess you can't please everyone, huh?

With my post (first part of it anyway) all I've underlined is..that things are as they should, roughly within normal statistical boundaries.

Maybe is just coincidence, or perhaps Klei really predicted well how and when community will gradually unlock bosses so Forge won't feel generally stale too early on (and that's why these types of events - arena ones - should stay only temporary: their game-wise repetition factor is pretty high) plus logarithmic learning won't discourage too many newbies, but all-in-all I think things are ok. Casuals, that pointed vast majority of player-base, do as one might expect - not well, precisely 'cause they are casuals. Game in general, for newbies, is hard with steep learning curve - and this is the specific of DST (events included), as survival needs to have a certain high difficulty. Don't like it? Play more and get adept at it. Still don't like it? Don't play (anymore) maybe?! It's an optional event and skins can be purchased via in-game store for example.

Adding to how Forge gets repetitive, you almost win every time. Either that, or you lose every time. There's no, new content or anything that brings new life to the Forge. I'm level 50, and I still like to play it, but its the same old same old. you grab this armor fight this fight this then bring Grand forge to the corner, then kill rhinos then just do the same thing with the swineclops. no sort of randomness, like swapping one of the bosses positions, so one comes before the other etc.

So I get what your saying.

I think what makes people lose is bickering. A good portion of matches I won were relaxed and cordinated sessions. The ones that had early losses are the ones where users yell at me for being stupid because I can't read their minds.:wilson_ecstatic:

7 hours ago, persiantsq said:

I do like the community unlocks. It gives a gradual learning curve. (So it's not so steep, like it is now)

Maybe next year we can unlock a fighting dummy?:wilson_ecstatic:

Archived