After a while, forums are more fun than game

After a while, I found that reading forums about the game is more fun than actually playing the game. I wonder if there is a problem somewhere. Is it because the game became "mature", or because the enthusiast community has outgrown the original design? Or maybe this is an expectations issue? I don't know, really. But I don't enjoy, for sure, the new map generation engine, and the crap about so called "insanity". The landmasses were simplistic, but became ugly. The game was "easy", but became "crazy". The choices became very RPG-ish : perks vs. disadvantages. Folks are all discussing the items, the numbers and benefits coming from that. Again, isn't there a problem?

I really like how the game has evolved while I was away, but... if I'm being completely honest.... I agree about the maps. I actually liked it "back in the day" when the maps were circular islands interconnected by bridges. It made the world seem more surreal than natural. Like it was a different place and time. Also, I'm kind of OCD and it was easier to systematically explore: find the edge, make a big loop-dee-loop, fill in the middle, then follow the bridges. Exploration is more chaotic now.Other than that, though, I really like the new content (note that "new" for me is a huge portion of the current game).

I like how Don't Starve evolved, unlike Minecraft, which I hate now.The winter update will be lots of fun, it seems.If the game is too easy, play as Wes.

Playing as Wes now, and I don't see any rise in difficulty.

I agree about the landmasses, I'm not a fan of how the worlds now look. They're kinda messy and we often get wee bits of swamp or savannah that look out of place and force me to get out my pitchfork and tidy things up. I wish the minimal brush for biomes was bigger so they don't look like swiss cheese.

I agree about the landmasses, I'm not a fan of how the worlds now look. They're kinda messy and we often get wee bits of swamp or savannah that look out of place and force me to get out my pitchfork and tidy things up. I wish the minimal brush for biomes was bigger so they don't look like swiss cheese.

Pretty much this.Otherwise, I can't wait for what's next.

Yeah, exactly... The new generator (shape wise) is more realistic than cirles with bridges but the constant splotches of biome really seem messy. Hopefully the map person tweaks it some more.

Minecraft, which I hate now.

WHYYYYYYYYYY!!!Mah god,so many haters,if you don't like the comunity fine,play singleplayer or with friends but don't hate the gameBut to be onest minecraft(like don't starve)has an amazing comunity except the every now and then douchbags.

Yeah, exactly... The new generator (shape wise) is more realistic than cirles with bridges but the constant splotches of biome really seem messy. Hopefully the map person tweaks it some more.

See, I like it less realistic though :) This is some kinda crazy nightmare island, right? I liked the circles w/bridges. Just my opinion, though, doubt it'll ever be back :(

I hang around here because people still keep finding interesting little tidbits between updates. I was lurking this forum ever since I bought the game, I now kinda regret not joining the forum back then, but sadly I had no time... :c

Sirmentlegen started the church and was being threatened with ban if he didn't tone it down so I organized the bacon. Bugs Bunny was right, if you build it, they will come. Our thread is Toaster approved.

Yeah, i was there. Kinda. Well, it was back in my lurker-days.But i should kinda do more for the church.

Well, to the original point, it really depends on the person playing the game. I come from an MMO background where people spend several hours a day playing, and run low on content and come to the forums. Don't Starve isn't really something that is going to hold up on playing 5 hours a day every day. I suspect that Don't Starve serves as an alternate game for many people. So, if you want to play Don't Starve for several hours a day, every day; you're naturally going to hit some content walls. I believe that is one reason we have such a vibrant and creative forum community. I think Don't Starve inspires people to want to stay in that world, and around it. So, we have a lot of people who are happy to share ideas and express themselves. I have worked on a lot games, and I have never worked on a game that inspires so much creativity and enthusiasm from it's players as Don't Starve. I don't think this is a problem with the game, as much as it is a statement for the interest it generates.