Cheating Forge

Tendarone

11 hours ago, Day One Webber said:

I know the common argument here is that if people can already do it, then there's no problem, but ask yourselves this: if there was a mod that revealed the entire map with one button, would it be okay to use it if you're a skilled player?

make it client side and it'll probably be an exploit or something, otherwise - yes, why not, not talking about obviously bad example.

see the logic: don't want to count in your head to 10?  - here's mod for cooldown timer for forge, don't want to count days in your head - here's a mod for season clock (moon state is already in base game), don't want to spend too much time placing items in line? here's a mod for geo placement, don't want to play osu! in forge? here's a mod for cheaty clicks (if you say it's inhumanly fast, i'd say it's actually slower than even i can do click), don't want to choose between armour piece, amulet and backpack, no mod for you this time, server side only

1 hour ago, Zarklord said:

so you would rather he remove the mod, and let just the elite groups with the private scripts have the autofire?

None of my business. It is he who consider script/mod to be something like plague, not me.

Just want to kindly point out that what he did exactly contradicts with what he thinks. Normal players doesn't have a single chance to challenge those so called "elites" on the leaderboard, with or without his mod. The only group who will be mad at his mod, is those who doesn't want to mess with script/mod and prefer to manually play a fair game. 

2 hours ago, Zarklord said:

i dont think you quite understand, the mouse and keyboard vs these "scripts" the game cant tell the difference, only the speed at which they are sent

I don't think you quite understood what i mean, I mean some programmer can create real bot that can do a lot better than this "mod"

• Developer
2 hours ago, adaxe said:

None of my business. It is he who consider script/mod to be something like plague, not me.

Just want to kindly point out that what he did exactly contradicts with what he thinks. Normal players doesn't have a single chance to challenge those so called "elites" on the leaderboard, with or without his mod. The only group who will be mad at his mod, is those who doesn't want to mess with script/mod and prefer to manually play a fair game. 

So let me get this straight, people are angry that a anim canceling mod got released to the public, but not angry that anim canceling scripts exist?
sounds like warped reasoning.

39 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

So let me get this straight, people are angry that a anim canceling mod got released to the public, but not angry that anim canceling scripts exist?
sounds like warped reasoning.

People are angry at cheating, and are angrier at massive cheating.

sounds more like common sense. 

• Developer
14 minutes ago, adaxe said:

People are angry at cheating, and are angrier at massive cheating.

sounds more like common sense. 

that would be like being angry that everyone got rich, instead of an elite few being rich.
and, it isn't cheating, cause klei would patch this if they had a problem with it, plus, if everyone is using scripts, any advantage had by them is lost.

1 hour ago, Zarklord said:

that would be like being angry that everyone got rich, instead of an elite few being rich.
and, it isn't cheating, cause klei would patch this if they had a problem with it, plus, if everyone is using scripts, any advantage had by them is lost.

Cheating or not, none of my business.

it is HE who considers script/mod to be something like plague, not me.

Oh, by the way, he himself named that mod "cheating forge".

And it lookes like that you are implying people deserve playing at a disadvantage if they refuse to use such mods.

19 hours ago, thistownneedsguns said:

klei should just not allow any modes in that event.. 

Whoa there.

My mod that hides the decor in the forge is invaluable to players with lower ended machines to make the game playable at an acceptable framerate.

Which I will shamelessly plug: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1558029118

These people would have a worse time playing the game mode, and in some instances be unable to play because of the latency created from lower framerates.

Not all client mods are in the gray area for cheating.

10 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

here's a mod for cheaty clicks (if you say it's inhumanly fast, i'd say it's actually slower than even i can do click)

Test it. No really, test it.

It's the difference between 20 minute rounds and shaving it down to 10. If you can't see a difference there there's something wrong with you.

6 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

getting on the forge leaderboard is STEALINg my chance at it

my wife and kids all left me please let just me have this

didnt they leave you when you didn't manage to get anything but participation reward from the groge tournamentTM

The only thing I don't understand is why people care so much about the leaderboards. Theres no real reward for doing them and most people only really get upset when people up top are using scripts. If its just the bragging rights for being "the best speedrunners" then you probably don't want to use the klei leaderboards as proof as that as many teams on the top use the same 10~ish people, a better solution would be to have speedrunning competition (most likely hosted by the community) where people running it have to verify if people are using exploits/scripts or not. 

Either way, if you're thinking that just this script alone will allow you to compete with the people at the top of the leaderboards, then it won't. It takes more than just being able to have high-consistent DPS. I'm not saying that its necessarily possible to reach the #1 spot without a good script, but theres more factors that play in a speedrun to the forge.

tl;dr, rather than getting upset about people cheating to get onto a leaderboard that doesn't mean anything and it will only have the same 10 people anyways. Why not create an actual competition where scripts are actually not allowed to have scripts at all and have it needing to be verified via video. 

It might just be me, but I don't really see it as a big issue because it doesn't matter. Theres no reward for it and it has always been a pretty poor reference to see how people compare to one another.

besides, it just helps unlocks stuff faster for everyone. Or you'd think anyways, it doesn't seemed to have contributed much to the community bar if at all.

I wonder if Klei will do a tournament this time in Forge. Like in Gorge, the winners got rewards which cant be obtained elsewhere, plus a lot of bonus stuff.

If so, then people who use scripts are rewarded and those who dont, dont even stand a chance to win.

Having a good team is one big factor to reach a good time, but adding the rapid fire to all your ranged players literally cuts the time in half as I could tell from trying.

7 minutes ago, NAVY said:

I wonder if Klei will do a tournament this time in Forge. Like in Gorge, the winners got rewards which cant be obtained elsewhere, plus a lot of bonus stuff.

I sincerely hope not. It wasn't well received the first time and I imagine that it'd be received worse in the forge, even without scripts.

I tested this mod and found it reaaally useful. You stand still and your dart/staff user automatically starts gunning every enemy at max possible distance and speed. It won't make you auto win every match (because bosses are more about teamwork) but it more than triples your ranged dps on multi targets. Sure you can do this manually but unless you're a starcraft 2 pro, you're not clicking at this speed consistently.

While this mod is basically cheating, im not surprised people use it. When the most optimal way to play a game is considered more annoying or unintuitive than fun, people will always search a lazier way to achieve the same results. This is also why people use bunny hop scripts. DST combat is very shallow and the only significant thing you can do to improve is click more times per second instead of holding F. But Forge is a coop mode and there is no tournament (maybe?) so i think its fine.

I was in a group with someone who was using this mod yesterday and they did more damage than I've ever seen anyone do, ever, and we didn't even get to the rhinos because the team was a mess.

If this was a PVP event or one of Klei's staff said something against it I'd condemn it without question, but since it's team-based PVE and they've been silent on the subject as far as I know, I feel like cheating isn't entirely horrible since it benefits the whole group and doesn't take anything away from anyone.

Archived