Hotfix schedule after Space Industry Update

I hate to be the person making this post and i hope that you (klei) are already aware of it.

With the release of the Space Industry Update the normal release schedule was changed from 4+2 weeks to 5+3 weeks to concentrate more on polishing - and most likely to create some breathing space for DS: Hamlet and MotN: Remastered to be released out. This is all good and fine by me. You delivered solid work so far and i concur with your roadmap. However it is pretty noticable that the Space Industry Update has quite a few instabilities in it.

The game crashes alot more often than it used to. There are quite a few quirks when it comes to rockets (you want your pilot back? nope!). And some stuff is not even usable without sandbox (e.g. Super Coolant). However hotfixes stopped being released almost 3 weeks ago. I know it is a pain in the ass to maintain several branches of software, but with the changed update schedule, we have at least 1 more week to go for a preview release and another 3 (!) weeks to go for the live release.

So while some of us might get the benefit of bug fixes (which i suspect are already implemented) in the next week, quite a few might not even play the preview. Delaying the needed fixes for them for another 3 weeks.

I am not sure how the others feel about it, but it seems like a stretch for me. I started struggling with crashes ~2 weeks ago and have been waiting for a hotfix since. Now i am at a point where i am completely blocked by several bugs. I would love to continue playing, but there are just too many bumps on the road to enjoy it at the moment. And i am sure others are in a similar situation.

I am hoping that the current reluctance of releasing hotfixes will revert back to the "old days", when we would get updates until the live version was stable enough to make it to the next preview build.

Disclaimer: I write this all with the deepest respect for the development team. This EA has truly been a joy to participate in and the current difficulties can hardly make a dent in what was already accomplished.

20 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

similar..

Sorry, didnt see that poll.

I think klei deserves a bit more text though.;)

13 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

Not that I disagree.. but what's this all about?

What do you mean?

What is super coolant all about and why doesnt it work?

or

What am i (blash) all about when referring to stuff that is only halfway included? Subtext: i should be happy with stuff being forshadowed so that it can be fleshed out better.

13 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

Sorry, I meant specifically the text I quoted.  You stated that super coolant cannot be used outside sandbox mode, which is 100% false and I'm not sure where the claim originated.

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I agree with @Nitroturtle super coolant is avalable without sandbox so it's odd you used that as an example 

I thought we need mercury for that and its not available at the moment.

5 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I read it on the interweb

The best of all sources...

So to actually have up-to-date info in one place (might as well update the wikii), Mol-Fo Recipes are:

• Niobium->Thermium = 5 kg Niobium +95 kg Tungsten => 100 kg Thermium
  • Isoresin->Visco Gel = 35 kg Isoresin + 65 kg Petroleum => 100 kg Visco Gel
  • Fullerene to Super Coolant = 1 kg Fulelrene + 49.5 kg Gold + 49.5 kg Petroleum => 100 kg Super Coolant
  • Isoresin to Insulator = 15kg Isoresin + 80 kg Abyssalite + 5 kg (units) Reed Fiber => 100 kg Insulator

by the by, Thermium to Niobium = 100kg Thermium => 100 kg Niobium (Metal Refinery) or 50kg Niobium + 50kg Sand (Rock Granulator)

All hail debug mode-sama!

And regarding the topic: Impatience is NG. Even while I have my rockets error the game, this is EA and the schedule is already set and kept. Asking for more is just greedy.

2 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Fullerene to Super Coolant = 1 kg Fulelrene + 49.5 kg Gold + 49.5 kg Petroleum => 100 kg Super Coolant

Then this is definitely bugged for me. I have all those elements and no super collant recipe.

2 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

And regarding the topic: Impatience is NG. Even while I have my rockets error the game, this is EA and the schedule is already set and kept. Asking for more is just greedy.

I am not asking for more. I was patient. But after 3 weeks without a patch for crashes it has to be able to raise the topic. I think i made it pretty clear that i understand that there are other projects in the pipeline. But the bugs are starting to lock down the game.

• I have an astronaut who hasnt left his rocket for 600 cycles, because the game crashes when he leaves the rocket (by whichever mean i could think of).
  • Every few times i start/land/use a rocket or when i wrangle a shove vole or drecko, the game crashes.
  • Whenever i click my rocket, it loses all its fuel and drops it to the ground.
  • My rocket is so heavy that it can no longer take off,because it gets 2700 kg oxylite instead of the marked 500 kg.
  • I cannot produce super coolant (as mentioned above).
  • My SPOMs do not work without external power because of random gas deletion.

This is just the most prominent stuff. And in my opinion CtDs should always be hotfixed if there is more than a week towards the next release.

19 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Then this is definitely bugged for me. I have all those elements and no super collant recipe.

Are all these ingredients accessible for delivery to the molecular forge? For example, is fullerene sitting in a conveyor receptacle that does not allow for manual use? Is there a pitcher pump that can bottle up petroleum ?  Nvm it was already asked.

I expected them to hotfix the rocket related crashes and adress the buggy behaviour when loading a game with rockets in space. This is pretty gamebreaking for somebody who doesn`t know how to avoid it happening. It can break you a 1000 cycle save if you don`t have a backup.

Well i guess the casual player won`t get to rockets before the next patch hits if he started a new game with Space Industry. I just hope the most gamebreaking bugs will get fixed with the next patch.

I suspect most of the developers working on ONI have been reassigned to other projects and the skeleton crew left behind won't be able to bang out hotfixes as often as they used to.  We'll find out next Thursday how much of their time they're allocating to expanding upon existing systems and how much of it they're dedicating to polish, bug fixes, and balance.

Archived