A lotta people say that you just gotta use Woodie as a runner, higher health and chucking Lucy does instant aggro. But if you’re like me and can’t spend hours learning how to aim a throw every couple seconds then here’s a guide for playing as Wes!

I’ve tried playing as Woodie but i’m just too used to simply standing around doing the chicken dance and instantly getting the aggro of enemies to sheepdog them. Woodie is very reliant on Lucy for aggro and he doesn’t keep it as long so you gotta keep chucking her, and you need great aiming too. That’s not something that can be learned quick.

I main Wes and I don’t struggle. I pretty much wear stone flint armor for protection and the feather wreath for speed, and stay in that one corner next to Pugna at player spawnpoint to not have the smaller rounds of scorpions and turtles come after me.

IMB_vk6Ujf.GIF.6760f5225105f2aa87c89e1e41b85c51.GIF

Do I worry about rolls? Not so much because I don’t let it roll me like a pin as I only hit the boarilla two or three times before it puts its shield up. I limit doing damage to it to make it less of an issue worrying about it rolling. I only gotta worry about lag. If it does start rolling I keep my chill because molten darts special can cancel the roll. Or dodge them by going in a circle but often does it come outta no where so If I do get squashed I’ll live because of my armor. Wes op fellas.

Plenty of times did I have to kite that Boarrior in the last round as my team revives each other hoo boy those are exciting moments dodging attacks. If you hug the edge of the arena, when the Boarrior does the flame attack you don’t get much damaged because I can walk out of the path if it’s at a wall!

IMB_wEan5E.GIF.f6a4c807db6272a5a3b3f7c0faae237a.GIF

I like to just wiggle around and get aggro instantly to save my team and the healer. Other bits of facts is that Wes gets revived the fastest so those extra seconds count in order to save the team! He can use any weapon besides books which is also great in case no one can cast a healing circle or bring forth a meteor!

IMB_NCYDxb.GIF.e4b1b9f4b9644c20b6985e902c4f15c5.GIF

After the Boarrior then comes the new Rhinocebros. Wes can then wear the new yellow armor that adds health and is 90% protection, the tank can wear the ab armor then everyone works together to fight the rhino bros.

When I fight off the new upcoming enemies I will then put up more info!

If you have a team you can trust and you're using the "the new yellow armor" (Steadfast Great Armor) as Wes, then you can try to play him as a good tank aswell because he can regenerate his health faster than anyone (except Maxwell):

• If you drop the Steadfast Great Armor while every enemy is sleeping then your heal will be increased by an additional 100% (Your percental health stays the same whenever you equip or unequip the armor), that might be bit risky because if the enemy wakes up then he will onehit you
  • A Wilson can revive you in 1.5 Seconds, restoring 3/5 of your max health (120 Health): That's 80 Health per Second

A way to keep the aggro on you is just to use your Fist against the enemies, that's not ranged but always available.

3 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

After that Wilson thread I was expecting this topic to be like this:

Using Wes as a Runner Guide!

1)Pick Woodie instead 

2)Profit!

Well I don't pull jokes like that because everybody can enjoy playing as any character! I'm just giving info on Wes because the DST community keeps turning up their nose at him so I like to fight for his rights. This is still a game so when folks snarl over the mime that's a lil too much. This thread is supposed to give hope!

IMG_3148.JPG

2 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed this post didn't just say "You unselect Wes and pick Woodie".

Be happy i'm not the sort of people who make jokes to put down people who like a character and wanna play as them. Yeehaw. No Bad Vibes in my threads!

18 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm not sure if I'm happy or disappointed this post didn't just say "You unselect Wes and pick Woodie".

Wes is lacking an always available ranged aggro attack & increased melee damage
Woodie is lacking double regeneration speed (he can only get +50%)

Any Character with 200 health + 90% Armor can tank the Boarrior until the next healing but won't regenerate all the taken damage. Do we really need a 2nd Tank against the Boarrior if we have Wes? Go unselect the 2nd Tank and pick another damage dealer instead!

27 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Any Character with 200 health + 90% Armor can tank the Boarrior until the next healing but won't regenerate all the taken damage. Do we really need a 2nd Tank against the Boarrior if we have Wes? Go unselect the 2nd Tank and pick another damage dealer instead!

You don't need two tanks for Boarrior. You only need a Woodie. Problem is you need a tank while Woodie is kiting the Boarillas.

Lucy allows Woodie to anim cancel Boarrior attacks so you don't even need to stop for heals. Just have him bring out the uproot and heal ontop of Woodie only, don't stop attacking. Any "DPS" Wes provides is insignificant in comparison due to this. Not to mention you do need two tanks for Rhinocebros.

Don't get me wrong you can play Wes and make it work but Woodie is simply better.

6 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Don't get me wrong you can play Wes and make it work but Woodie is simply better.

Why is there this prevailent obsession with one character being "better"? We're not competing against each other, this isn't pvp. Play whoever is fun. Wes is fun, I find Woodie dreadfully boring.

27 minutes ago, Xehanightmare said:

Why is there this prevailent obsession with one character being "better"? We're not competing against each other, this isn't pvp. Play whoever is fun. Wes is fun, I find Woodie dreadfully boring.

Well in this particular instance I'm arguing against Wes providing more DPS but in general the common goal is to win. Community progress specifically requires you to win. Winning grants more experience. Winning typically grants an overwhelming feeling of satisfaction. 

It's a bit excessive to say but picking a character which brings a lower chance of success to the team is a bit selfish. You may get your fun but it might've costed the entire team theirs. Again, that's excessive put I think the point gets across. 

3 minutes ago, Alarsin said:

On a serious note, sometimes you need to de-aggro a mob and lead it away from your team so they could res and heal. When I tried to do it as Wes, I simply couldn’t aggro the mob. How do you even do it with Wes?

I just go around in a circle in front of whoever's aggroed on, throwing myself in front of the enemy and quickly enough i'm being chased. I don't know what the science is behind that but it works well with me, It's less of hitting it and more of being right next to it which perhaps is more of a better thing for enemies to hit than chasing a player.

For example, with scorpions and snortisious they attack of a player is next to them, that attack would then have them focused on whoever was just next to them, getting aggroed. With speed feather wreath I just zip by them

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

It's a bit excessive to say but picking a character which brings a lower chance of success to the team is a bit selfish. You may get your fun but it might've costed the entire team theirs. Again, that's excessive put I think the point gets across. 

Riiiight...

WesOP.png

Just now, Xehanightmare said:

Riiiight...

That's irrelevant to my point.

If the entire team's goal is to fool around then go for it. Playing Maxwell tank is ridiculously fun, but I'm not going to play them in a legit comp.

1 minute ago, Xehanightmare said:

How? Your "point" was that playing Wes would cost the team a win. That's just untrue.

"Lowering chance" and I quote, doesn't equal "guaranteed loss".

All Maxwell was possible last Forge (though I doubt it is now with Rhinos), however most people aren't going to be able to do that. Your chances of winning as all Maxwell is significantly lower than a good team comp.

THAT is my point. If you wanna argue against it use the actual argument instead of a strawman. 

Just now, Zeklo said:

"Lowering chance" and I quote, doesn't equal "guaranteed loss".

All Maxwell was possible last Forge (though I doubt it is now with Rhinos), however most people aren't going to be able to do that. Your chances of winning as all Maxwell is significantly lower than a good team comp.

THAT is my point. If you wanna argue against it use the actual argument instead of a strawman. 

Alright, fine.

Wins come down to player skill. That's it. You can have a Woodie, and that won't matter if they're terrible with him. If someone is better with Wes their chances are higher with Wes. It's that simple.

Yeah for veteran Wes players playing rounds was just fine! It's just that once Forge 2018 came out and especially the new enemies, i've seen so many folks are just simply Down With Wes and just don't know how to use him, and don't wanna bother having him around.

The point of this thread was to give good info on using Wes. Like how there can be various choices on characters who can be mages and healers and tanks.

1 hour ago, SDragonhead said:

Yeah for veteran Wes players playing rounds was just fine! It's just that once Forge 2018 came out and especially the new enemies, i've seen so many folks are just simply Down With Wes and just don't know how to use him, and don't wanna bother having him around.

The problem isn't with Wes, it's with Woodie. He can just sit in a corner and stunlock or lead Boarrior in circles forever. I don't often call for nerfs but Lucy's aggro pull might actually need one.

Honestly this game mode is full of tryhards. I mean, yeah, everyone want to win, but you are probably gonna loose 70% of your games if you play with random people. So, just have fun! pick whatever you want if you do your job right then what's the matter with someone picking wes over woodie. I enjoy every character so i find boring play the same over and over. Nice guide by the way! I definitely learned a new tip today (the roll thing! ughh)

Archived