What area have you based in that works best?

So where have you been basing? Because i'm torn on basing in the home you can get or much closer to biomes so my base isnt often a mile away from them all. Sure, I don't have to come back home every single day, but it just makes it that much more tedious to never really have a base close by. Besides the house, every biome has honestly seemed a threat in one way or another so its extremely annoying. You either have pogs stealing you're ****, the squirrels stealing you're ****, enemies right around the corner, and often bad weather to top it off. So I feel like i either have to sacrifice safety in the house for readily available resources, or being out in the wild but where I have much easier access to resources faster. 

The pig town is where I always base. It’s probsbly the best place to base, the guards protect you from any bats and unwanted intruders, you can buy things you need from the various shops, it has a pre-built road system for faster travel times, nothing can get you inside of your house, and you have easy access to all of the various pigs.

I base in the village if its small. Small is better I think, I got one that had all shops within one screen but still tons of piggies to trade with.

Large pig bases are a pain.. even with the roads it can be a half a days walk just to get out of there, so in those cases I'll camp outside.

Also worth mentioning.. HAMBURGLAR STOLE MY COINS AGAIN!! 67 coins turned into 14 coins, cause he hit me while fighting 20 bats. Guards grabbed EVERYTHING they could, they even stopped fighting to steal my money.

So... -1 point for living in the town.

How I see it, no one would have to argue about where to build a base if the pig town wasn’t involved. The one thing I hate about Hamlet is that it actually DISCOURAGES conventional base building, because everyone wants to sit in their fancy house and avoid anything that even RESEMBLES danger. So you know what I say? BASE IN THE GAS FOREST!!!! But seriously, the DEVs really need to make houses and the pig town more balanced. Maybe building structures in town will make guards attack you for messing up their streets, and maybe houses shouldn’t be PERMANENTLY LIT. Building a base is one of the most satisfying aspects of this game, and Hamlet removes the need. We need to bring back the splendour of the mega base! (Or just normal base)

I just base in my pig village house, but I'm really choosy when it comes to world gen. Usually I find the pig village within a day or two and if the shack is too far away from anything else and doesn't have ample space around it for grass/gardens/drying racks, I'll just start a new world. I've had a few great worlds where that empty biome of guards and squirrels was so small and perfect.

On 11-11-2018 at 12:22 AM, orian34 said:

I just like making my base at the starting point, because it's a crossroad of biomes most of the time, and there's a ruin entrance or cave nearby most of time.

But that's because I play only Webber and pig villages suuuuck!

Aw man, Webber is a cool character but Hamlet is all about pig villages. I'm afraid the two of them don't work together very well at the moment. Just like certain shipwrecked characters are not ideally suited for a ROG game. 

On 11-11-2018 at 12:46 AM, Drewey09 said:

The pig town is where I always base. It’s probsbly the best place to base, the guards protect you from any bats and unwanted intruders, you can buy things you need from the various shops, it has a pre-built road system for faster travel times, nothing can get you inside of your house, and you have easy access to all of the various pigs.

Careful: shadow monsters will still spawn and fight you inside your house. 

9 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

Also worth mentioning.. HAMBURGLAR STOLE MY COINS AGAIN!! 67 coins turned into 14 coins, cause he hit me while fighting 20 bats. Guards grabbed EVERYTHING they could, they even stopped fighting to steal my money.

So... -1 point for living in the town.

Why are you carrying 67 coins? Put them into a chest, carry some pocket change for an impulse buy (food, healing) and the rest are planned buys. You don't walk around with your life savings in real life either, do you? (hint: stop doing that)

5 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

How I see it, no one would have to argue about where to build a base if the pig town wasn’t involved. The one thing I hate about Hamlet is that it actually DISCOURAGES conventional base building, because everyone wants to sit in their fancy house and avoid anything that even RESEMBLES danger. So you know what I say? BASE IN THE GAS FOREST!!!! But seriously, the DEVs really need to make houses and the pig town more balanced. Maybe building structures in town will make guards attack you for messing up their streets, and maybe houses shouldn’t be PERMANENTLY LIT. Building a base is one of the most satisfying aspects of this game, and Hamlet removes the need. We need to bring back the splendour of the mega base! (Or just normal base)

DS:HAM is a different game from DS and the other DLC's, why are you trying to make it the same game? They took away some of the default trouble (free light at night, you can buy food/heals, guards help out against bats) so you can spend more time on exploring, dungeons, caves and less time on "oh man I need food and light" like in the base games.

We already had 3 games focused on survival in a nature world. This is about exploring with a solid foundation in the form of a city that supports you. Just ... pick up some manure from time to time and use that to buy food. But do wash your hands, dear. 

Haven't gotten very far, but I like having a pig village base (house) and berry bushes further out towards the edge of town where there's less fire risk, and a well placed cave or ruins (that isn't clogged up with traps) as a remote base.

If you are a good player, the only factors in building a base are availability of ressource. By that I mean: What is useful and CANNOT be moved ?

Everything that can be move, you should just eventually add to your base like grass etc. In Dont starve original, you always build a base either close the the desert or close to the swamp... why ? Because they have the only 2 ressources in the game that you cannot move.

In my opinion, the starting point is almost always close to perfect, i've build my base very close to it everytime (over 15 games). You need proximity to the pig village and also proximity to the ruin entrance to the 2nd village. I also believe building close to the lake get you a lot of additional resources that are helpful (OH GOD THE LOTUS FLOWERS ARE SO GOOD !). You need to be slightly off the lake though, dont build next to it otherwise insect will attackk you or frogs every now and then.You also need the lake biome for the sprinkler, so its the only viable place to build. If you can direct your base slighty toward a direction, do it toward either the pig village or the rainforest because silk is also an immovable ressource (well it is movable but... gl)

As for protection because the bat attack go crazy after day 60+. Either run toward the village, or my personal solution: Attack the big Water beefalo dudes from the lake, only 1 hit and just run in circles. The bats will attack you and while you are moving in circle, the dude will keep jumping on the bats non stop. He does 50 damage and will 1 shot the bat. It does 50 damage if it hit you (so still wear armor in case) but the attack has a very small hitbox (even if it shows waves from the ground pound, it doesnt hurt you). If you can get 2 to jump its even better. I've fended off most of the attacks that way because 20+ bats are hard to handle even for pigsmen.

in summary:

• Close to the lake for easy access to resources that aren't movable (Lotus flower, Reeds and water for sprinkler)
  • Close to 1st ruin (Ruin with a pig on top) for easy access to 2nd pig village

Once you have these 2 points you can direct your base toward

• 1st pig village
  • Rain forest biome to get easy access to silk / Carnivorous plants (for renewal of walking cane and food)

Everything else, you can just dig and bring it to your base. Twigs, berry bushes, trees, you name it, you can bring it to your base.

I always intend to get the key to the city, so I always start my base in the first town. (As far as I can tell, you can’t build outside of town, although maybe it’s a turf issue, in which case I still wouldn’t want to move all that turf.) There a better shops and buyers on the second plateau, but there aren’t as many resources in the wilderness there, and the first plateau is basically the hub for getting to the other areas, so it just seems the most convenient to me.

6 hours ago, Konerak said:

Why are you carrying 67 coins? Put them into a chest, carry some pocket change for an impulse buy (food, healing) and the rest are planned buys. You don't walk around with your life savings in real life either, do you? (hint: stop doing that)

I was going to buy gold!! Then the flying pig wolves fell on me from the sky. I thought everything was fine as there was a lot of guards helping me, but then the damn hamburglar hit me in the back right out of nowhere. I just didn't react fast enough :(

All those guards just stopped fighting and started stealing.

I died shortly after anyways, so I have to start all over again :'(

Usually near the pig village, but at the border of teatree forest. I want it to be close enough to the pig village so I don't spend a whole morning walking to buy something nor too far away from a cave entrance (but sometimes the world gen isn't so kind). Eventually I start moving some resources near my base, when I have enough gold to build two lightning rods.

20 hours ago, BadlyBurned said:

I was going to buy gold!! Then the flying pig wolves fell on me from the sky. I thought everything was fine as there was a lot of guards helping me, but then the damn hamburglar hit me in the back right out of nowhere. I just didn't react fast enough :(

All those guards just stopped fighting and started stealing.

I died shortly after anyways, so I have to start all over again :'(

This happened to me too. Since then, I've started stashing them somewhere, or keeping them in my backpack, and dropping the backpack away from the guards (no accidental fire destroying your bag with coins) if the bats show up. The sneaky chap doesn't seem to get into the backpack (that I've seen yet anyway). I still can't seem to catch and kill him though, and I wonder if you have to carry some coins to bait him. :S

Its nice to note that the coins stay with the guards.. so if you eventually kill them (with bats or actually murdering them) you'll get your money back.

I had it happen again last night because I really wanted to kill him and get his hat. The hat burned because they used their torches to kill him, but the chest had more coins than I lost, and I really like having the option of scrambling for your money back or chasing him down to get his treasure.

You do need coins to bait him and he is much much easier to find (and apparently faster to spawn) in a smaller map. Right now I'm in a large pig town and I never see him, but in my last map the pig town was about a screen size big and he was constantly popping up all over the place. Not sure what his trigger is exactly though.

Archived