Toxic Players In Forge

I’ve had the occasional heckler while playing, usually I’ll immediatly block them in game and on steam. I know this can hurt team coordination but I have a decent grip on how to play that I’ll probably perform better without seeing anything from that player vs letting the trash talking get to me. I think the current system does a decent job at allowing players to control their forge experience but maybe allowing us to report a troublesome player could allow Klei to remove the most pervasive abusers. 

There should be a way to report someone, that gets saved to their IP address AND Klei ID. And after a certain number of reports this should happen:

1: Temporary comm ban and in-game warning.
2: Increase to the comm ban and a more explicit warning.
3: Temporary game ban and warning in-game and via email. You will be able to play regular the game, just not with other people.
4: Increase to the temporary game ban.
5: Permanent game ban from playing with people.

I think if after 4 warnings that person keeps being annoying, they should get banned from interacting with others. The IP ban would make it so that they can't just create another account. In addition, there should be a way of  implementing something to bypass their attempts of using VPN's.

7 minutes ago, MasterWolf said:

There should be a way to report someone, that gets saved to their IP address AND Klei ID. And after a certain number of reports this should happen:

1: Temporary comm ban and in-game warning.
2: Increase to the comm ban and a more explicit warning.
3: Temporary game ban and warning in-game and via email. You will be able to play regular the game, just not with other people.
4: Increase to the temporary game ban.
5: Permanent game ban from playing with people.

I think if after 4 warnings that person keeps being annoying, they should get banned from interacting with others. The IP ban would make it so that they can't just create another account. In addition, there should be a way of  implementing something to bypass their attempts of using VPN's.

Problem being that someone'd need to look over this, and also, out of context, chat logs, screenshots and videos aren't very solid evidence of wrongdoing. A system like the one you've proposed could be very easily abused.

Just now, Ressayez said:

Problem being that someone'd need to look over this, and also, out of context, chat logs, screenshots and videos aren't very solid evidence of wrongdoing. A system like the one you've proposed could be very easily abused.

Everything gets logged in their servers, so they would know what happens in-game. But you are right that they would need to hire someone to oversee it.

45 minutes ago, MasterWolf said:

Everything gets logged in their servers, so they would know what happens in-game. But you are right that they would need to hire someone to oversee it.

Hire someone to solve petty disputes that could be solved by making your own server/frequenting servers that have an active admin team. 'Kay.

10 hours ago, Lumina said:

It's not that true : in event like The Forge (and The Gorge, to a lesser extend) ping matter a lot, so you'll encounter people from the same region of the world more often. Add to this that people will usually play often during these events and it's totally possible that you'll encounter them a couple of time.

I personally can't recall one time that I've run into someone else that I remembered. Well, not in Forge pubs anyway. How often have you run into the same people with no connections to you or your friends? It seems highly unlikely that this would happen at a frequency that it's a problem (unless this specific individual was actually tying to hunt you down). And yeah, ping does matter, but the game isn't region locked so you're going to have people from other regions anyway.

7 hours ago, Xehanightmare said:

How have you not? I can't seem to get away from some of these random strangers.

Not everyone has the same experience, and people assume that if it doesn't happen to them, it doesn't exist or the person is at fault. This can be applied to every aspect of live. Being aware and understanding of this difference is called empathy, and most people lack it.

if you don't mind, I've a question which i think is related to the topic:

well, here in my home, i usually have the unfortunate experience of having a massive amount of ping (incidentally also why i dont play Woodie) and getting dc'd or getting an errand midgame. and as healer, those reasons have cost three poor random teams their games, much to their anger.

With this situation, am i considered toxic? 

26 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

if you don't mind, I've a question which i think is related to the topic:

well, here in my home, i usually have the unfortunate experience of having a massive amount of ping (incidentally also why i dont play Woodie) and getting dc'd or getting an errand midgame. and as healer, those reasons have cost three poor random teams their games, much to their anger.

I wouldn't call you toxic as long as you still try to play. If you:

• don't flame at others
  • try to reconnect as soon as possible whenever you get dc'ed
  • don't troll (pick up Items you don't need or which others need more than you; attack Boarrior whenever he's asleep or tries to sleep; keep attacking the Rhinocebro which recently revived the other one (He's on most cases the one with lower health and reducing it to 0 will only reset his health))
  • don't keep staying in lobby just because you don't want to play a role or don't like to play with somebody (it's still ok if you ask for another role, otherwise just play the game or leave)

then there's no reason to call you toxic at all! I also like to play The Forge. But I also have some problems with my ping here: It stays at 20ms and suddenly rises to 1000ms for 1 second and drops to 20ms afterwards; result: My game keeps lagging for the next 5-10 seconds then it either stops (need to reconnect) or manages to sync once again with the game.

38 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

I wouldn't call you toxic as long as you still try to play. If you:

• don't flame at others
  • try to reconnect as soon as possible whenever you get dc'ed
  • don't troll (pick up Items you don't need or which others need more than you; attack Boarrior whenever he's asleep or tries to sleep; keep attacking the Rhinocebro which recently revived the other one (He's on most cases the one with lower health and reducing it to 0 will only reset his health))
  • don't keep staying in lobby just because you don't want to play a role or don't like to play with somebody (it's still ok if you ask for another role, otherwise just play the game or leave)

then there's no reason to call you toxic at all! I also like to play The Forge. But I also have some problems with my ping here: It stays at 20ms and suddenly rises to 1000ms for 1 second and drops to 20ms afterwards; result: My game keeps lagging for the next 5-10 seconds then it either stops (need to reconnect) or manages to sync once again with the game.

Gee, thank, bruh. I'm rather relieved now XD

I did reconnect when I was dc'd. Aaaaaand i was the only one standing, managed to sleep the boarillas, but made the mistake of revving wilson instead of tank. Aaaand the flames ensue, but i get it, t'was my fault XD

I generally try to tell ppl what to do but no to the point of outright insulting their competence. I'm not *that* competent myself.

And if i stay in lobby it's because i've settled on a role or am willing to go for another one EXCEPT woodie (thanks, ping). Otherwise i'm rather willing to play :D

and lastly, trolling is just horrible to ppl who want to win and have a good experience with pubs. i don't do that in pubs.

once, more, thanks! didn't know that tidbit about the Rhinocebros, I'll keep that in mind

As if reinforcing what I posted earlier, I tried a more serious/high level server today and found some of the people there so abrasive that I decided that the EXP wasn't worth having to deal with them.  I like constructive feedback.  I don't like a group of 2-3 friends who are into min/maxing whining about how much having to play with random people sucks every time I do something they don't like.  I get that I'm not the best at Forge but my teams do win pretty often.  Oddly specific side note:  Sorry not sorry but if you immediately break my petrifications with single-target attacks every single time, I'm going to eventually give up on petrifying things.  PS:  healing has a cast time/cooldown.

If you're so good and you hate randoms so much, make a locked server and 3 man it or something.

I've mained healing classes in several MMOs over the years so I'm used to this flavor of nastiness (especially from DPS types who are too busy looking at pretty numbers to dodge things) and there is no better way to make me not want to heal you ever.

7 hours ago, Miss Maya said:

PS:  healing has a cast time/cooldown.

I never understood why people can't get a grasp on this concept. I've had a few people get mad at me cause I didn't place down a heal when I had enemies on my behind. And saying "heal" in chat won't make the cooldown go any faster.

10 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

No, it's unfortunate and could be frustrating for the players with you but this kind of stuff happens. It's not something you chose to do.

On 12/11/2018 at 8:36 AM, Sinister_Fang said:

I personally can't recall one time that I've run into someone else that I remembered. Well, not in Forge pubs anyway. How often have you run into the same people with no connections to you or your friends? It seems highly unlikely that this would happen at a frequency that it's a problem (unless this specific individual was actually tying to hunt you down). And yeah, ping does matter, but the game isn't region locked so you're going to have people from other regions anyway.

It happened to me a few times even if i can't tell a number. Also, some people could be in the circle of people that play with my friends and still be toxic and someone i want to avoid.

Anyway, the fact that you didn't encountered such cases isn't really a sign of anything. I don't think it's useful as players to reject an option because it seems useless for our personal case : Klei can have a better and global view, what we can do is explaining what problems we encountered and suggesting ideas, not really rejecting others because they don't solve our specific cases. Except, of course, when the option is creating issue, which isn't the case here.

In the same way, we don't need to save Klei resources or stuff like this : if a solution is too costly (like the report system usually is, for example), they can tell themselves. But listing the problems so they can have feedback is important here.

I will not post anymore in this topic, but i hope this discussion will not happen for next event or next year.

Toxic players are more annoying when they're calling out the healer/kiter. This goes for anyone really, those roles are the most important to the team so it shouldn't be a surprise that they're the most difficult. Give them some slack.

3 hours ago, Lumina said:

No, it's unfortunate and could be frustrating for the players with you but this kind of stuff happens. It's not something you chose to do.

It happened to me a few times even if i can't tell a number. Also, some people could be in the circle of people that play with my friends and still be toxic and someone i want to avoid.

Anyway, the fact that you didn't encountered such cases isn't really a sign of anything. I don't think it's useful as players to reject an option because it seems useless for our personal case : Klei can have a better and global view, what we can do is explaining what problems we encountered and suggesting ideas, not really rejecting others because they don't solve our specific cases. Except, of course, when the option is creating issue, which isn't the case here.

In the same way, we don't need to save Klei resources or stuff like this : if a solution is too costly (like the report system usually is, for example), they can tell themselves. But listing the problems so they can have feedback is important here.

I will not post anymore in this topic, but i hope this discussion will not happen for next event or next year.

Yeah, if they can't even get rid of the toxic ones in their forums, I don't see it happening in their games. I really wish they could at least add a kick button for the person that creates the lobby or a vote kick option. Almost every online game has this option.

I mildly disagree with "you control your experience". When you can't fully block someone in the game, just leaving the server to make another/join another isn't exactly a solution when there's VERY dedicated trolls that will follow you from server to server only to call you names. There's also the situation where people spread untrue rumors about you when joining other servers so they'll be vary of you when they join your server - for no reason. I'm not saying it's something that happens daily or even often, but saying that it's rare or barely happens doesn't in my eyes make it any less of a problem. 

However, I am 110% on boat with leaving the server if someone is harassing you, instead of starting a fight in the chat. Don't stay if someone is bothering you. Being a victim of harassment is one thing, but continuing to be the victim and demanding others help in the situation when the solution is right there in the shape of the "Disconnect" button that only YOU can press. That's a choice. What the troll chooses to do after that is beyond your control, though. 

What comes to bossy people and people who are in a game full of +30 levels and are trying to tell the healer when to heal - don't. Friendly tips when someone messes up and doesn't acknowledge it themselves is a good place to point stuff out, but constantly going "HEAL NOW" or "WOODIE GET THE BOARILLA" are about as useful as "REMEMBER TO BREATHE" and "SWALLOW EXTRA SALIVA TO AVOID CHOKING". There's good bossy and bad bossy. 

On 11/15/2018 at 4:52 PM, Zeklo said:

Toxic players are more annoying when they're calling out the healer/kiter. This goes for anyone really, those roles are the most important to the team so it shouldn't be a surprise that they're the most difficult. Give them some slack.

I got that a hour or two ago. Wasn't really a fun experience that way.

Archived