Space Industry Testing Branch now open! - 288237

I do hate none of these materials can be applied on more simple machinery like pumps. Because you know, that's the only thing those materials would now be handy for. I get you want to move super insulating stuff to extremely high tech. But why aren't we getting this for a liquid pump to pump up magma, or why aren't we getting this stuff for the thermo aqua tuners.

Edited by ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Draquila said:

Oh, I actually like this. Abyssalite was always kind of ridiculously strong for how easily you can get it. Ceramic is a good substitute for most applications, isn't it?

I agree. I hope Klei take the same approach to the whole raw material group and encourage more manufacturing chains.

7 minutes ago, Draquila said:

Oh, I actually like this. Abyssalite was always kind of ridiculously strong for how easily you can get it. Ceramic is a good substitute for most applications, isn't it?

Not very well suited for Iron volcanoes - the iron is usually hotter than ceramic melting point

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiPhemyst said:

Obsidian Insulated tile has conductivity of 0.02 while Ceramic Insulated 0.006 - quite a difference

But since insulated tiles use a different way to calculate temperature exchange I don't think in practice it makes a noticeable difference.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:48 PM, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I do hate none of these materials can be applied on more simple machinery like pumps. Because you know, that's the only thing those materials would now be handy for. I get you want to move super insulating stuff to extremely high tech. But why aren't we getting this for a liquid pump to pump up magma, or why aren't we getting this stuff for the thermo aqua tuners.

use mods https://github.com/javisar/ONI-Modloader

Edited by Rainbowdesign
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KiPhemyst said:

Obsidian Insulated tile has conductivity of 0.02 while Ceramic Insulated 0.006 - quite a difference

I think the point was that the melting point of obsidian pipes is higher. Obsidian is 2700c+. Ceramic is 1500+.

Edited by Moggles
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Moggles said:

I think the point was that the melting point of obsidian pipes is higher. Obsidian is 2700c+. Ceramic is 1500+.

Yes, it won't melt, but it will leak heat. I did some testing in debug mode, as I have not used insulated tiles ever, since abyssalite 'was' superior - after two cycles ceramic tile gained 0.1c and some obsidian tiles gained up to 1c. Oddly not all tiles of my tank are the same temperature...

Did some 'heat gunning' - I think we'll be fine unless we go above 10,000c :D

1 minute ago, KiPhemyst said:

Just double checked - does not go above ~9,700, but does not crash either - had heatgun setting at 99999

Pretty much what I said.

Since 10000K is the limit, it would crash if you could make it 10000C.

Edited by Saturnus

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I think you will need to generate a new colony to get the shove vole. The tooltip mentions it burrows at the surface, and it does eat regolith!

Poops out 500% of it too :D

Edit: they might have added one too many zeroes...

Edited by KiPhemyst
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I think you will need to generate a new colony to get the shove vole. The tooltip mentions it burrows at the surface, and it does eat regolith!

Shove Vole is a meteor eater, and is not currently spawning on the map outside of getting it via rockets... which I can't do because my current map that can actually launch a rocket is running at 0.5 FPS.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Shove Vole is a meteor eater, and is not currently spawning on the map outside of getting it via rockets... which I can't do because my current map that can actually launch a rocket is running at 0.5 FPS.

I always supported Klei for using the logging tools. They need that data.

But... It's not playable this way. I think Klei will get little data if people refrain from running the update. Aside a very quick run with debug tools, I will not do a lot of testing myself. I simply cannot because the extremely low fps makes me unable to test out the features in any reasonable way. I'm sorry to the developers for saying that, but I think they consider either doing something to boost FPS while running the logging tools, or disabling the logging tools. But the current situations makes me, and probably the vast majority, unable to test out this preview branch in proper.

• Like 5