Best Mealworm farm temperature solution?

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

I notice that mealworm plants tend to go on and off on my asteroid, is there solutions to keep the temperature and oxygen consistent for a mealworm farm?

If they are going on and off, it isn't temperature.  It's pressure.  Or bad gases in the base.

If it is pressure, you need more deoxydizers around the base.  If you can get a couple wheezeworts to counteract the heat they generate, that is very good too. 

If the problem is other gases, like chlorine or natural gas, then I would close off where ever they are coming from and use a CO2 lock to keep them out of your base.  Also, keep bleach stone out of your base when possible.  If it is natural gas, the cause might be a flatulent dupe.  If you have flatulent dupes, keep them out of the farms and try to keep the natural gas out of the farms too.

For temperature, one trick I've used is piping oxygen through your water source in the early game.  Radiate gas piping is cheap and the water is a good temperature.  Also, abyssalite walls.  If you don't have enough abyssalite, you can also use insulated igneous rock tiles, which are a good stop gap.  Then plant a few wheezeworts.  Also, sweep up any hot stuff on the ground.  That will slowly heat the air and cause problems.  If your plants are too hot, you can also replant them, which resets the temperature.  But some call that an exploit.

6 minutes ago, Carnis said:

Radiant pipes inside your farmitiles, that run 25-28C water, guaranteed to work.

The only problem with radiant pipes is that they take quite a bit of refined metal.  Idk about other other people, but I usually don't start producing lots of refined metals until after I get rid of mealwood. 

I do sometimes build granite normal pipes with water if I need to pipe through the area anyway.  Granite is the best conducting normal pipe in the game.  Nowhere near as good as radiant, but it isn't bad.

isolate your farm with abys walls, put some ice carrot in the room on a solid door, an automation with a temperature sensor connect the door, if the temperature is lower than X, open the door automatically. ice carrot with stop chilly breath.

5 hours ago, dallion said:

isolate your farm with abys walls, put some ice carrot in the room on a solid door, an automation with a temperature sensor connect the door, if the temperature is lower than X, open the door automatically. ice carrot with stop chilly breath.

"ice carrot"?  You mean wheezewort?

Pay attention to the temperature of the area where you build your farm in the first place and since farm tiles are not insulated pay special attention to what you build underneath your farm since heat tends to rise.  I like to build my farm near the bottom of my base in a colder area.  This is a bonus because when the farm fills with CO2 (because it's at the bottom)  I switch off to Mushrooms, which use a lot less water (zero in fact).  I usually have mushrooms replacing mealwood before my farm gets too hot for mealwood.

The worst place to build a farm is right above your water purifiers or generators.  Also remember that algae oxidizers produce a bit of heat so keep those away from your farms (I like to put them in a ladder shaft.).

1 for temperature use a pool of the starting water under the farm 2 tiles deep to fit a pump to swap out the water if it gets warm.

2 for air pressure put a deoxidizer in the farm room

3 for bad gas have an occasional gap in the floor/wall till you have mesh/gas permeable

i usualy have my starting mealwood farm turn into a plastic drecco farm by cycle 50-75 using pneumatic doors(open) to make 4 medium capacity 5-6 critter rooms for for hydrogen and the routes to the mealwood plants and still be in the farm. having 4 conjoined rooms with open doors prevents them from going overpopulation while still capable of doubling its own capacity

I assume that you're building them at the start of the game. In that case just build the farms below your main base in the start biome. The temperature will remain stable for at least a hundred cycles and the CO2 will collect there and provide a constant atmosphere.

21 minutes ago, Pyrrus said:

I assume that you're building them at the start of the game. In that case just build the farms below your main base in the start biome. The temperature will remain stable for at least a hundred cycles and the CO2 will collect there and provide a constant atmosphere.

That will depend heavily on your expansion rate and if you leave anything else near your starter biome.  100 Cycles in my games tends to be around the time I'm building the oil facility and poking at the surface if I don't crank up the difficulty ratings.  I can control the heat by putting it in a corner and using some insulated tiles for about 30-40 cycles, but at some point, either I've got to cool the Mealwood, move it, or transfer to something else.  I'm usually transferring.

7 hours ago, Pyrrus said:

In that case just build the farms below your main base in the start biome. The temperature will remain stable for at least a hundred cycles and the CO2 will collect there and provide a constant atmosphere.

I tend to build my farms close to the starting water tanks. The water will heat much slower than the rest of your base and when you use it up it will leave a space with a nice temperature.

Archived