Slimelung bomb?

11 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

That the actual @#$%

Map have areas of such slimelung bombs which give it to anyone who comes in contact with it. I have 9 dupes get slimelung INSTANTLY

Gi0KusH.png

Yup. I've encountered them too. And also CO2 tiles that out of the blue grows from 2000 or so germs to several hundred million germs in less than one cycle. Seems completely random.

2 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Yeah I hit a section with 60 million gems.   Mi ma went from 100% to 0% in a matter of minutes.  She's fine,  I loom look away and boom slime lung 

Yeah. Thank the big megahatch in the sky for save scrumming. I had 13 of 14 dupes struck down with slime lung when they hit one of those. I normally don't like to resort to save/reloading but when it's an obvious bug in the game well...

On the reload the mystery slime lung bomb was gone as well.  

Made me happy the slimelung vacuum bomb I found was in an area I was clearing with a slush geyser. 

30M slimelung per tile, a dozen tiles?  No problem, I'll just chuck 300 tiles of 20F PH2O at it.

<Counterstrike voice> The bomb has been defused. </Counterstrike voice>

2 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

It's a mapgen artifact. If you expand slowly, it will die, because vacuum is always 0K and so kills 100% slimelung per cycle.

You'd think so but I'm close to being able to replicate creating vacuum tiles with germs in a survival game with near 100% accuracy. Often but not always if you corner deconstruct a solid tile with germs in them the germs will transfer to the vacuum. And if you then expand that vacuum the germs will grow at an exponential rate, easily counting in the million if not billions, in a few cycles. It will also infect other vacuum tiles.

Viewing in germ overlay you can see the germ vacuum tiles flicker around like it was regular gas tiles which leads me to conclude that unlike popular belief, vacuum tiles are treated as gas tiles by the game, and goes through all the temperature, gas exchange, germ exchange etc etc of a gas tiles.

My testing shows the engine uses vacuum as an active gas as well

so it looks like their approach was to prevent slimelung initially spawning on vacuum during world gen but not to prevent germ transference to vacuum?

or maybe I read way to much into jlk's statement

14 minutes ago, Kabrute said:

My testing shows the engine uses vacuum as an active gas as well

And that definitely wasn't always the case. Before if you'd have very low FPS, one of the best ways to improve performance again was to make big areas of vacuum. Now doing that does almost nothing to improve game performance. Instead a much better method is just building up with tiles. Lots and lots of tiles. Sure, there's still thermal calculations but tiles aren't going anywhere. They don't check with their neighbouring tiles 20 times a second if they should change places etc etc as gas tiles do.

Found another vacuum slimelung bomb. This time a 100% natural one. Viewed in germ overlay all the vacuum tiles have different amounts of slimelung and flicker around like crazy proving that vacuum must be treated like a gas.

I was going to dig into it but luckily I checked the germ overlay and found it before the dupes did.

image.thumb.png.a6c44344700f94ac8b5488cd05b001d9.png

On 9/15/2018 at 2:47 AM, Coolthulhu said:

It's a mapgen artifact. If you expand slowly, it will die, because vacuum is always 0K and so kills 100% slimelung per cycle.

That’s not necessarily true per direct observation in my case. 

I noticed the bright neon "This will kill you" sign flipflopping in the vac at the bottom of my slime biome like the germs themselves were a gas long before I cleared down far enough to actually breach the slime containing it.  I mean, I was moving at the speed of 5kg/s 15F PH2O, so arguably on par with a snail.  Figure it took me about 70-100 cycles to get down that far.  Arguably (because I don't remember the initial number), the bomb got worse as a function of time, not better... seeing as the number of infected vac tiles was larger by the time I got to it and just as bright if not brighter. 

300 tiles of sub-freezing PH2O did not give a single **** that day, and ate that slimelung like a fat kid at a buffet. 

Would not recommend clearing these bombs by normal digging without adequate precautions, to include vac suits, airlocks, and a *lot* of dead space for the bloom to peter out in. 

23 minutes ago, storm6436 said:

Would not recommend clearing these bombs by normal digging without adequate precautions, to include vac suits, airlocks, and a *lot* of dead space for the bloom to peter out in. 

Corner building them away works. They are vacuum after all.

8 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Corner building them away works. They are vacuum after all.

True, but given this isn't supposed to happen in the first place I tend to be extremely hypercautious.  I mean, when the engine decides to operate by its own rules, there's no telling how else it might decide to unexpectedly screw you.  Hence why I figured 300 tiles of cold PH2O was a good response... I mean, if all that slimelung got through that much germ-killing chill, I'm pretty sure at that point I deserved to die. :p

On 17. 9. 2018 at 9:59 PM, Sasza22 said:

The max amount of germs per tile was supposed to be tied with the mass of the tile. Vacuum has no mass so there`s no max value and they keep multiplying forever it seems.

Thats what I thought... It seems weird -  all of those baddies flying ( cause they are in gas? ) and bumping into each other xd

2 hours ago, Djoums said:

That situation is getting annoying, I now have germs in the caustic biom with no vacuum involved. They come from a morb under the screenshot and are infecting everything.

5ba2988a1b98c_Causticgerms.thumb.jpg.46cf7b46c4707107ce6319e2e17caada.jpg

That may be a result of worldgen.  There are areas of the map that will, for no apparent reason, have Slimelung or Food Poisoning germs on them when the world is generated.  But most of the time they die off from being on a solid long before I would ever reach them.

Archived