Good bathroom designs?

5 minutes ago, jfc said:

I've been using a simple 16x4 room for the bathroom and wondering if someone would like to share a design where you make use of every tile

Build sink, build lavatory, surround with tiles, add doors to each side. Alternatively add 2lavs. Does it need a design?

Sizes 3x4 or 3x6 inside, 5x6, 5x8 with walls included.

I have a new design I'll use next build where I combine my bathrooms with my great hall design as I typically go for 16 dupe bases. Only two dupes can use the bathroom at any one time as the dupes are in 2 man crews on 8 different shift each 3 hours apart (early morning, late morning, early afternoon, etc). So that means I only need two lavatories total, apart from the one in the med bay.

Like this and then mirror across the main middle ladder shaft

image.thumb.png.db72ae58275937b5e88603c0c2ad156f.png

18 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I have a new design I'll use next build where I combine my bathrooms with my great hall design as I typically go for 16 dupe bases. Only two dupes can use the bathroom at any one time as the dupes are in 2 man crews on 8 different shift each 3 hours apart (early morning, late morning, early afternoon, etc). So that means I only need two lavatories total, apart from the one in the med bay.

Like this and then mirror across the main middle ladder shaft

image.thumb.png.db72ae58275937b5e88603c0c2ad156f.png

That is pretty unique and ingenious IMO, literally eliminated the need for large bathrooms, its almost like a public toilet XD

Wouldn't a  STSTSTST  setup be better than SSSSTTTT  ( S-Sink T-Toilet) travel wise? 

@OP, It really depends on your goal. On my first play-through I made large toilet for each dorm. This time around I building vertically, using smaller dorms and smaller bathrooms on multiple floors to optimize travel time.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I have a single shower in the med bay. Plenty to give 16 dupes the showered buff.

I have two rooms with 8 showers, 1 for each dupe... i'm not a monster to make them to share the shower. hehehe

And I change the statue for gold floor, so you can have a bathroom with 4 latrine and 4 sink(maybe we can use a some automation for only jave 1 sink...)

Here is my 4x12 bathroom design, there are 7 tiles un-used. If you don't want lights you can just make the room 1 shorter and use statues, then you will get 100% use of all space and have about all the same decor. it fits 1 decor item per building, and if you don't need the wheezewort your decor will be better.

image.thumb.png.fa15c393ca4ac3d3c6a4382f7028a3fb.png

Lowest decor in mine is +84 at the middle sink but some of that comes from above/below so another pair of airflow tiles would help even more.

You could adapt the same concept to 16x4 pretty easily. Get either more decor or another lavatory/sink pair. But there's no great way to use the last couple tiles on the top row. Also, I think paintings used to be better decor than statues but they seem to be identical now. Hummmm....

image.png

3 hours ago, jfc said:

I've been using a simple 16x4 room for the bathroom and wondering if someone would like to share a design where you make use of every tile

I think the most important important with showers it's not the room size but their location. Given Duplicants take a shower after they wake up, I think it's smart to put the showers after the room exist as well they can directly take it.

chamber.png.6eb5454b496bdb00db10e75149cec727.png

I only keep one sink in the bathroom so I get the room buff, I'm able to fit 9 Lavs in a single room this way.

Reason I do this is I always end up needing to put sinks in front of the mess halls anyway as dupes pick up germs from other locations like pdirt from the sieve, compost pile, digging slime, digging anything else in the swamp biomes 

So I figure as long as the dupes wash their hands before they eat then there shouldn't be any problems20180903141602_1.thumb.jpg.f15594356976118aff147945ac0d8d59.jpg 

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Here's another bathroom design.  (Washroom / Great Hall combo) 

Can support 8 dupes in one shift

The problem with that is you don't need to have many dupes eating at the same time. Two is fine. And then you just plan the shifts so their dining times never overlap. At least that's what I finally realized.

Just now, Saturnus said:

The problem with that is you don't need to have many dupes eating at the same time. Two is fine. And then you just plan the shifts so they never overlap. At least that's what I finally realized.

true but this is for when you got a mess of dupes like over 60 or something

7 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

Wouldn't a  STSTSTST  setup be better than SSSSTTTT  ( S-Sink T-Toilet) travel wise? 

@OP, It really depends on your goal. On my first play-through I made large toilet for each dorm. This time around I building vertically, using smaller dorms and smaller bathrooms on multiple floors to optimize travel time.

It depends on whether you have 1 or 2 doors to said Latrine.  If you only use a single door, there is no difference between the 2 configurations.  It doesn't matter where the Sink is in relation to the Lavatory, because all the same tiles will have to be traveled regardless of whether they are between the Sink and Lavatory, or between the Sink and the next task.

1 hour ago, PhailRaptor said:

It doesn't matter where the Sink is in relation to the Lavatory, because all the same tiles will have to be traveled regardless of whether they are between the Sink and Lavatory, or between the Sink and the next task.

How so?

In the STSTSTST  setup one dupe would only have to travel 2 tiles in, while in the SSSSTTTT  setup same dupe will travel 4 tiles in. With two dupes entering at the same time it would be 2/4 tiles vs 4/5 tiles, with three 2/4/6 vs 4/5/6 etc  ( the difference is more extreme if you use decor padding)

Clearly the first variant is superior, particularly since dupes usually don't arrive exactly at the same time.

Edit: Also decor wise, lavatories has negative value, so if you are using decor it only make sense to spread lavatories around to have nice green across the board.

Archived