No Water Sources

All the games I've started since the last update have been failures because the only water source I could find was a steam geyser. While these are usable late in the game, you don't have the ability to deal with steam that is 500 degrees celsius as your first source of water for an electrolyzer. I've never had bases fail because I couldn't find water until this last update. Is anybody else having similar problems?

its only 110 degrees...

They generate far more of steam than water gayser. I had 2 in my previous game one had 6.5kg/s and another 11.5kg/s. Thats far more water that i could use.

Plus electrolyzer does not really care what water you give it. its still 70C output for both oxygen and hydrogen.

My tip is just dig around the steam geyser as big as you can, so steam would expand 5kg as much as it can, and cooled down by natural surroundings. When you have stable colony then you can think about proper cooling, storage of steam and whatnot.

25 minutes ago, Scorpio King said:

its only 110 degrees...

You're wrong, there's two kinds of geysers :

- Cool Steam vent : 110°C Steam

- Steam Vent : 500°C Steam

@Moondrake you should visit more your map, you will find water. Before that you can use the polluted water pool and clean them with the water sieve.

22 minutes ago, ShadowOfALegend said:

If you don't see a water or steam geyser near your vicinity, just make sure you lean away from it unless you truly need it. (like having a liquid bathroom over a primitive dirt version)

Having a liquid toilet would be a good idea, once you start it you get net gain of water, if you use a sieve then you are gaining clean water. Germy but clean. I was surprised at the difference having toilets ASAP was, I had so much polluted water after a few hundred cycles. 

1 minute ago, BlueLance said:

Having a liquid toilet would be a good idea, once you start it you get net gain of water, if you use a sieve then you are gaining clean water. Germy but clean. I was surprised at the difference having toilets ASAP was, I had so much polluted water after a few hundred cycles. 

my current see has 4 cool steam vents, a slush geyser and a PH2O vent and I'm strongly considering on a SPOM in space while dumping the rest of my hot water to oil tapping and maybe i might entertain the idea of actually growing bristle blossoms

3 hours ago, Moondrake said:

All the games I've started since the last update have been failures because the only water source I could find was a steam geyser. While these are usable late in the game, you don't have the ability to deal with steam that is 500 degrees celsius as your first source of water for an electrolyzer. I've never had bases fail because I couldn't find water until this last update. Is anybody else having similar problems?

It's a bit weird what you say. All worlds usually have enough initial water, either clean or polluted.
Make an attempt with this seed:image.png.68f7b584a3088503601d1a07a247a803.png
I leave you a screenshot so you can see that in this world you can survive comfortably. I have 18 dupes and I have never had water problems. in fact the initial water lasted me until the 150 cycle approx, if you know how to save it.
Good luck. : D

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a29055086e75c44499db4cb9e396418f.png

I usually do the following: 

1. Enlarge water storage directly at the geyser, The steam is only 110C and even hot water will cool most of it down to condensation.

2. Produce Oxygen and Hydrogen from the hot water

3. Find the nearest ATEN and use it to cool the steam geyser 

This has worked every time so far. Of course, I do this with 3...6 dupes not more.

Pretty much every map should give you a good supply of cool, clean water just sitting there when you begin the game. I've always found it to be enough water to keep me going until I want to get into the more hardcore stuff like electrolysers.

Use world seed 1288490173, there is a strong slush geyser at the bottom of the starting base (slightly to the left at the bottom.) Get down there fairly early in your game and you will have more very cold Ph2o than you need for a long time. I had to dig the pit I dug for it out three times to keep containing all it.   It has very good starting water too, so I let the cold polluted water cool everything down nice and cold while waiting on the starting water to run out.  Nice about it too is the cold kills the slime lung in the surrounding slime so I started with mushrooms really early too. Has a very large frozen biome, a total of three slush, two cool steam, one hot steam, a hot O2, a minor volcano, a chlorine, an iron and a NatGas with two oil wells.  The NatGas/Oil/one Slush are very very close to each other making it ideal to put in a oil boiler later.  The third slush is right next to the volcano. 

6 hours ago, BlueLance said:

You should still have your two guarenteed Cool Steam vents, just gotta go looking for them, also the Hot Steam Vent is probably better used to build up pressure and run a steam turbine briefly etc.

The Hot Steam Vent I've run across have been worthless for anything. They produce grams of output that it would take a human lifetime of playing to build up anything useful for a steam turbine. If they've not fixed it, I personally think they should be removed from circulation. A geyser or whatever should output something productive so that they're exciting to find. Not a huge letdown.

I am surprised when I see so many people talk about cooling steam geysers.  I have never had the need.  You get 80c water usually which works fine for electros.  As pointed out the slime or caustic biomes have a huge cooling mass to passively cool.  Done.

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

The steam is only 110C and even hot water will cool most of it down to condensation.

You are talking about a cool steam vent, which releases steam at 110C, not a steam geyser which spits out steam at 500C. That's the problem... cooling down something that is 500C to 100C to make the steam condense into water. That's too complicated to get up and running as your first water source.

You are talking about a cool steam vent, which releases steam at 110C, not a steam geyser which spits out steam at 500C. That's the problem... cooling down something that is 500C to 100C to make the steam condense into water. That's too complicated to get up and running as your first water source.

Yes thats the wrong geyser, as said every map has 2 cool steam vents, you'll have to use them as your first water source - go and look for them that will solve your problem.

12 hours ago, Moondrake said:

only 1 geyser so far or only 1 geyser at all?

That's a huge difference.

I usually had water problems in my games prior to the cosmic upgrade (1-2 steam geysers at most). Now i got a map with at least 7 water geysers/vents. So either the numbers have changed and you can still dig out some more geysers or it is mostly up to luck, in which case you can either take up the challenge (extract water from NG for example) or start over with a new seed.

Archived