Steel production needs to change

So its almost cycle 600 and guess what? I want steel but I can't have it, cause it requires tons and tons of eggs.

I was able to make around 80 tiles from gathering almost all eggshells from wild animals, patched some holes so the world don't gets destroyed, there is still large area open to meteor showers, not a big issue, but now I just run game in background waiting for more eggs, to get some more steel so I can build something in space. I really don't want to change half of the asteroid into big ranch. So now its idle game for me.

10 minutes ago, Capsup said:

Then build several layers of sandstone tiles and keep them repaired? It's not exactly the game's fault that you didn't prepare ahead nor are you completely out of options. 

Steel production, so much fun, and sandstone tiles?

Like really? Bad joke.

I don't need a screen saver I need a game, was producing steel for more than 100 cycles, now I can't even build anything, just need to wait for more eggs, and that alone is beyond stupid.

The bunker tiles and doors are locked behind research, and on top of that they are locked by eggshells. So now instead of playing I get to egg hunting simulator.

41F044AAA4618FC023BA6DE8A18CE849B17E3A4B

00617DC6DD1F240560F1B721D399B4B6F7450AFF

535E6D6E3295439F9A3B72A771951A78272663E5

12 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

You need a fishtank. 20180730000406_1.thumb.jpg.1d7635abaad2b4d8d02c4188786413d2.jpg

So many and they don't get overcrowded, sure.

Beside the fact that I don't want to bother with ranching, farming and all that stuff.

39 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

...I don't want to bother with ranching...

Neither did I. But it turns out to be absolutely essential. I gave in and started doing it. Near as I can tell, one can no more opt out of ranching than one can opt out of managing heat.

42 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Beside the fact that I don't want to bother with ranching, farming and all that stuff.

I think you should open a bit to the other aspects of the game... Farming and ranching are two aspects that grew a lot during development. I'm almost sure you can find some satisfaction by designing a nice and uncommon farm or ranch if you start something with it.

I got fed up and spawned 20 fish to jump start.  After 100 cycles, still only had enough steel for 8 blast doors.  Steel is broken.  Forcing people to have massive ranches to make steel is dumb.  Only saving grace is space is useless right now so steel is only about saving your base from slow but eventual removal from debris 

Agree.

Ranching is an essential game mechanic and I don't object to it being intimately involved in many aspects of a successful base.

But it does feel very silly that egg production is such a huge bottleneck to steel production.

I would do some ranching but the production chains are highly ineffective.

Polluted oxygen to slime, then slime to algae then you feed fishes for polluted dirt, all cool but the amount of stuff you need to feed to various animals its just crazy.

So you guys get a solution, delivered on a silver platter, and you throw it away because what ? you don't want to ? 

Dude make 2 fish tanks, 1 for breeding 1 for keeping stock. the stock tank you fill the eggs into, the breed tank you just maintain numbers to avoid overcrowd. Now all you have to do is fish out the eggs out of breeding tank and drop them into stock tank.

This can all be done with shipping and a little bit of automation, requiring you to do ABSOLUTELY nothing. And you still complain ? xD XD XD

Once you've past 100 fish you will be working more on getting refined carbon and refined iron then shells and lime. but hey bro, don't do with ranching, don't get those Molten Slicksters, Glossy Dreckos or Stone hatches.

Heck why even grow plants ? you can just keep gathering wild plants for food, no need to grow anything.

I think, no, something tells me you have missed the point of this game... just sayin.

If you know how, you could change a biome so that it does contain lime blocks. You can also create new POIs via the ingame debug tool, which can then be added to the world generator, like in my case.a fossilized monster slug!

fossilized_monster_slezdmk.png

However. Adding unreleased content can break your game. So use it with care.

Dude, for you everything needs an urgent change, hahahaha.
In all your post it´s the same.
No offense, but you should enjoy the game and learn to play it.
If you want everything to be totally different then you better play something else.

1 minute ago, Mr.Trueba said:

Dude, for you everything needs an urgent change, hahahaha.
In all your post it´s the same.
No offense, but you should enjoy the game and learn to play it.
If you want everything to be totally different then you better play something else.

Not really, that part needs some additions, not everyone wants to spam half the asteroid with fish tanks/ranches, that are not even good for anything. This whole steel production seems to be forcing me to ranch or just wait ages for wild animals eggs, there is easy way with shine bugs ranching as well, they reproduce fast and die fast, I JUST DON'T LIKE TO DO IT.

I agree. For instance, we have a numer of ways to produce refined metal, however we have just one to produce lime. Also, lime now is the side product of ranching (just compare amount of plastic\meat\coal\refinedmetal and lime received frome one critter)
I tend to believe that devs will not fix existing way significantly, but they will develop and\or implement new one.

DarkPower playing tetris...

"Duuuude, you have to change the square-block, it toooooo hard to place it useful. And i dont want to use that long bar. Its way to complicated".

Buddy, are you sure, this is the right game for you? Its early access, its developing. We all know, everything could change tomorrow, and hours of expierence are worthless. So your problem may be gone by the time the game goes into release. But maybe you should stick to something finished to the time being.

Your hyperbole isn't particularly useful. 

Until another source of lime is introduced, steel needs eggshells, which means ranching. If you're so adamant about needing to have steel without doing the Thing You Need To Do To Get Steel, you might as well simply use debug to spawn the lime in.

But as others have pointed out, you can make a powerful meat-and-egghshell factory with two vats of water, some plastic for fish traps and any spare algae you have. Fish don't need algae to survive, only to expand, so it's a one time cost.

maybe people will stop pretending that requiring egg shells for steel production is not dumb? as a developer in my daily work i would love if all of my users would praise any change i make but if i would make dumb change i would like to hear honest opinion from users.

jesus Klei just add lime as regular resource in some far away biom and add second way of producing it which will not require ranches

9 minutes ago, Khullag said:

jesus Klei just add lime as regular resource in some far away biom and add second way of producing it which will not require ranches

I don't think anyone thinks this is not going to happen? 

I've just been assuming we'll get limestone caverns at some point. It fits the established pattern and makes sense as part of a worldgen update.

I would mirror the others, but I will be fair here and say that while I also don't believe eggs are the problem, I do feel the amount of shells you need to create steel is overwhelmingly unfair and really slows the surface game down unless you make a fish tank from the absolute start.

Having the shell requirement reduced would ease a lot of the problem and allow a smoother transition into steel when you're ready to tackle the surface. It would also help with the performance hit that 100+ fish undoubtedly have on a late-game colony.

If they make steel easier to get then they need to make bunker tiles require steel + concrete so it remains a high tier tile. Concrete made from sand, crushed rock and water.

But i agree that there should be a way to get lime without using critter eggs. Maybe even add another use for lime like fuel for the carbon skimmer.

1 hour ago, Yucie said:

I would mirror the others, but I will be fair here and say that while I also don't believe eggs are the problem, I do feel the amount of shells you need to create steel is overwhelmingly unfair and really slows the surface game down unless you make a fish tank from the absolute start.

Having the shell requirement reduced would ease a lot of the problem and allow a smoother transition into steel when you're ready to tackle the surface. It would also help with the performance hit that 100+ fish undoubtedly have on a late-game colony.

Well that highly depends. If you're only intending on keeping 10-20 fish, then sure, it will take a long time. But if you split up the tanks and overcrowd a tank to above 100, trust me lime wont be the issue.

8 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

If they make steel easier to get then they need to make bunker tiles require steel + concrete so it remains a high tier tile. Concrete made from sand, crushed rock and water.

But i agree that there should be a way to get lime without using critter eggs. Maybe even add another use for lime like fuel for the carbon skimmer.

Concrete still needs lime as the bonding agent.  

Archived