Why all Hatches produce coal?

Why all Hatches produce coal?  Aside from smooth ones that are hard to get and totally useless anyway.

Why so much coal I don't need coal I want other things like metal ores that are limited, but nah coal and poor metal refinery, aside from eggs for some food they all seem quite useless in the long run.

3 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Why all Hatches produce coal?  Aside from smooth ones that are hard to get and totally useless anyway.

Why so much coal I don't need coal I want other things like metal ores that are limited, but nah coal and poor metal refinery, aside from eggs for some food they all seem quite useless in the long run.

Having a renewable source of coal is very good because vitamin chews require coal.  Even if you don't use it for power.

Stone is about everywhere, so you can feed them that for some easy Omelette. Coal can act as a neat emergency power supply incase your Natural gas/Steam/Petrol generators were to fail.

There should be a reverse Smooth hatch though that turns it into raw Metal. That's a material thats lacking from the game

Vitamin chews is like totally optional item, I would not even notice if they removed it from the game, the whole germs got killed, and you need to try really hard now to get someone ill.

16 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

There should be a reverse Smooth hatch though that turns it into raw Metal. That's a material thats lacking from the game

Just for variety purposes they can be made to produce sand as well

11 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

I nice idea that comes up very often Would like a way to create more raw metal too^^)

But it would make the game a bit more inconsistent:

Every material (except diamond eaten by max tier shine bugs) with a continuous consumption is renewable.

(Did you ever play a map and run out of some other raw metal than copper, after you all up ?)

2 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Vitamin chews is like totally optional item, I would not even notice if they removed it from the game, the whole germs got killed, and you need to try really hard now to get someone ill.

What should I do without vitamin chews in a fatalistic world ?^^ (No immunity regen)

Just now, Lilalaunekuh said:

I nice idea that comes up very often Would like a way to create more raw metal too^^)

But it would make the game a bit more inconsistent:

Every material (except diamond eaten by max tier shine bugs) with a continuous consumption is renewable.

(Did you ever play a map and run out of some other raw metal than copper, after you all up ?)

What should I do without vitamin chews in a fatalistic world ?^^ (No immunity regen)

You don't need all hatches kind to produce coal, you can stick to one that do produce coal.

But who needs 3 kinds of animals that produce only coal.

12 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

You don't need all hatches kind to produce coal, you can stick to one that do produce coal.

But who needs 3 kinds of animals that produce only coal.

Regular hatch: Your average, it does what it does. Eats a lot of things

Stone hatch: Eats stone which basically exists anywhere, but you need a lot of them to make an efficient amount

Sage hatch: Converts what it eats to coal at a 1:1 ratio. It also only eat organic stuff, so you can use your Polluted water or whatnot for a small bit of potential power.

38 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

not in miserable difficulty

9 hours ago, Exa said:
10 hours ago, _Q_ said:

not in miserable difficulty

Yes, on Miserable Difficulty, Vitamin Chews are the only way to restore your non-germ resistant dupe's immunity.

5 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:
5 hours ago, _Q_ said:

I really like vitamins in the beginning before you can get atmo suits going, they let the dupes go pretty safely into the slime as long as you have them cleaned with a bleach dispenser or sink on the way back in. 

I like to think of it like hatches processing whatever they ate and change small amounts of organic components into coal. I actually like having smooth hatches as a source of refined metal that doesn`t produce heat and doubles up as meat ( i assume they don`t convert 1:1 right? i never did the numbers on it). Maybe in the future we will get another hatch morph that produces refined carbon more efficiently than the kiln but feeds only on normal food (i`d use it to get rid of excess mealwood from earlygame).

2 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I actually like having smooth hatches as a source of refined metal that doesn`t produce heat and doubles up as meat ( i assume they don`t convert 1:1 right?

The price to morph them in the first place is far too high.

4 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

The price to morph them in the first place is far too high.

Not if you are planning to power your base with coal for quite a while. I usually end having 6 stables with different critters pretty early on. Lately i`m breeding the shinebug morphs even tho they don`t give you actually any benefit aside of some decor bonuses so i`m not too concerned about efficiency.

btw: Anyone noticed the new walking sounds on the smooth hatches since cosmic update? They sound like robots.

21 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I actually like having smooth hatches as a source of refined metal that doesn`t produce heat and doubles up as meat ( i assume they don`t convert 1:1 right? i never did the numbers on it).

IIRC smooth Hatches are 75% efficient.  Better than the Rock Granulator but worse than the Metal Refinery.

19 minutes ago, Man in the Mist said:

IIRC smooth Hatches are 75% efficient.  Better than the Rock Granulator but worse than the Metal Refinery.

Then i`d take it as an alternative when i`m in power saving mode early game. Sometimes i can survive off of one or two coal generators for quite a long time.

Try to play on a harder difficulty than baby-mode, coal stats to get more worthwhile.

I do agree with the underlying desire though. Ranching, though everyone seems to love it, is horribly simple and limited.

Add better evolution into the game. If people want, they should be able to convert every resource into any other resource (at some conversion rate depending on animal type and quality) through animals through multiple step systems and proper breeding.

DO IT

Genetic engineering should be a thing, whereby a Geneticist (one possible branch from Tenured Scientist) can edit critter genes to give them desirable traits, such as longer lifespan, eating less/producing more, having meat with higher calorie content, or even heightened intelligence that allows the critter to perform basic tasks like powering manual generators or cleaning up debris.

11 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

Genetic engineering should be a thing, whereby a Geneticist (one possible branch from Tenured Scientist) can edit critter genes to give them desirable traits, such as longer lifespan, eating less/producing more, having meat with higher calorie content, or even heightened intelligence that allows the critter to perform basic tasks like powering manual generators or cleaning up debris.

I can't wait to start hooking up my hatches to the hamster wheels!  

When I first saw the sage hatch I thought it would defecate algae from organic materials given that's what the hatch looks like. It would have helped with early game algae production for sure, but pufts are certainly superior in that aspect later on.

Organic materials have less mass than rocks so sage hatches seem useless, especially since coal gets consumed quickly by coal generators, refined carbon for steel, and many vitamin chews for fatalistic games.

Archived