Show and Tell your builds, All Welcome.

Hello Everyone! I decided to create this thread to try and pool any and all builds onto one topic, @Neotuck, @Lifegrow (Sorry for anyone else I forgot to mention) have both posted a lot of useful builds on these forums which help new and old player alike, but as time goes on they get lost, become outdated etc. This thread can also help new players get ideas and inspiration, help veteran players power up to new tiers and just help people in general. 

You can post any build you like and a short or long description of how it works and what it does, and what major patch it last worked on (If it contains an exploit of any kind please let people know as this means it might be patched out one day. NO ARGUING ABOUT WHAT IS AND IS NOT A EXPLOIT), whether it be an oxygen set up, an improved SPOM or even your critter ranch, If it's something you are proud of and want others to see or want help improving it, drop a post!

All I ask is that everyone please be considerate of each other, No Flaming etc and please accept constructive criticism. Sometimes an extra pair of eyes can point out something you have missed or they have had a similar experience and want to help you before it is too late!

Tonight when I am home (About 30 mins from now) I will post my Cool Steam Geyser Cooling System, Natural Gas Geyser Collection and Hydrogen Gas Geyser Collection (Just in case someone looks and sees that nothing is here! Also if anyone could find the post or recreate the post for mechanical filters I think that would be great to have here as well.

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

Nerd :p I'll dig out some links for you if you want bud.x

It would be appreciated! everyone benefits

3 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Dang, it will be Wensday before I have internet on my computer again and all my screenshots are there

Don't worry, Hopefully this thread will still be active XD my luck sucks with these things

My Fire and Forget Natural Gas Geyser System.

Once this system is ready I leave it running and it will pump gas to my base as and when it is available, Does not require any maintenance once it is up and running unless you somehow melt the Generator.

The automation inside with the geyser makes sure that the pressure doesn't drop too low as this will raise the temperature risking the pump overheating, the temperature sensor is also there just in-case the room is too hot even if the pressure is right. It isn't mandatory but I prefer it. The Natural Gas is fed to my bases storage which is starting to back up. The Liquid pump is set so that if there is any liquid on the top Hydro Sensor the pump will activate and sent any water to my base for processing, All Co2 is also planned to be processed in my base to feed slicksters.

1. The Pros to this build IMO are that you can just build it and leave it.
  2. It's simple.
  3. After the system has been running for a while, most of the gas coming out of it will be -50/-70 degrees so you can use it to provide some cooling on its journey.
  4. Since it will consume some of the gas to keep the battery charged you will lose some of the gas going to your base, but since it does not count towards your base energy load it means less wiring to your base.

20180702182244_1.jpg

20180702182303_1.jpg

20180702182311_1.jpg

20180702182322_1.jpg

20180702182352_1.jpg

My Fire and Forget Hydrogen Geyser System.

This is a replica of my Natural Gas Geyser System, It follow the same concept, but it is a bit more temper mental, Sometimes the pump might overheat until the pressure picks up, once it does as long as the pressure does not dip below 2k it should keep up with the heat from the geyser.

20180702190626_1.jpg

My simple, somewhat automated hatch ranch: 38367B459FC637B7ED5CAFD50C766A75FC8ACF82

Also can be used as storage too. All the hatches in the main room are stuck on the two floating mechanical doors. This speeds up grooming and also lets me open the doors to drop any eggs. Any living critters (except bagged ones) can stand on an open mechanical door and not fall, but the debris and eggs will fall into the room below. The clock sensors open the four main mechanical doors two times a cycle, one at night (long) and one midday (very short). Eggs naturally incubate in the room below until they hatch and become babies, when they become adults the autowrangling will kick in and a dupe will pick them up and send them to a room to drown. Then my dupes get some nice BBQ.

I have wanted to share some of my more basic designs for awhile, but couldn't decide on a format, so thank you @BlueLance :)

I'll start with what I believe is fundamental and core to my bases, which I can run on very little water and power, while supporting 16 dupes near indefinitely.

First is my bathroom plumbing, yes it is that important, and make sure ALL PIPES ARE ABYSSALITE, or you will cook your crops to death, and then starve.  Ceramic is a good substitute at first if you are slow on digging, but you still want abyssalite ASAP.  With this setup, the bathroom will not need more than 100kg water to start(10 pipe sections), and then it will produce polluted water for you to use as you want, and the way I use it is to feed my electrolyzers, which is why I have my Pwater tank set up to pump back into my bathroom plumbing to pass by the sieve again when my electrolyzer feed pipe is empty.  This build also showcases the uses of pipe input/output priority.

Screenshot (225).png

Spoiler

5b3a80a6b9f78_Screenshot(209).thumb.png.f35321f391301daffdcf709c940c3bc6.png5b3a8098a53d3_Screenshot(208).thumb.png.d4a2d8439365783eaddae4b9fe300f89.png

I realized after upload that there should, but doesn't HAVE to be, another liquid valve after the auto shutoff, set to 4kG, so help ensure you don't back up your plumbing, and that I have my electrolyzer and Pwater tank swapped compared to the sieve XD(fixed the plumbing overlay pic, just ignore the problem on the rest pls).  Also, if you run out of power, you will eventually drain the water out of the system, in that case just snip the line to the Pwater tank, and the Pwater will patiently wait for the sieve to filter all of it, just make sure there is a water output SOMEWHERE, or the pipes will clog.

Second is my most recent electrolyzer system, which changed radically with cosmic, because of the door pump nerf, and the removal of the light gasses left, heavy gasses right mechanic.  I used the age old, (and not too commonly understood) mechanical filter, with the newer radiant piping to give myself a constant stream of cool O2, and cheap hydrogen.

Now I know this is gonna look intimidating, and while it can be a bit obnoxious to set up, it's actually really cheap, simple, and can sustain ~17 dupes, while providing enough hydrogen to give you a minor energy surplus.  Note, you don't need more than 4 wheezeworts, but more is helpful.

5b3a85ddbeaa7_Screenshot(210).thumb.png.fd76770b1181388e50c048bba947a05a.png

This system is feeding 18 atmo suits in addition to the 16 dupes in base, and is typically my only source of hydrogen on the map.  I'm proud to say that neither electrolyzer EVER hits max gas pressure unless the gas pumps back up, for which I have safeguards to ensure never happens.

Spoiler

5b3a85e72ba67_Screenshot(211).thumb.png.99325a9c6db10d0ff45425f5843bda80.png5b3a85ee9fd65_Screenshot(212).thumb.png.4f359e91a27f450ef9b603d478892e94.png5b3a85f580d58_Screenshot(213).thumb.png.0d63fc245f1bc42499fbce506439c338.png

Provided are deconstructions of the two very dense piping setups, just move the bridges back over onto the pipes. All valves are set to 1g

Third is something I believe is a bit controversial to the anti-exploit crowd, and I do consider it an exploit, but I use it anyway as I believe it is simply working around incomplete content, and I will puzzle out a more honest method eventually.  For now, this infinite gas sorting and storage is an essential part of my base, and is a real chore to set up.  Again, using mechanical filters, in conjunction with permanently under-pressurized vents, to sort and store all gas I collect from across the entire map.  It does back up at times, but scaled down versions of this could prove useful in a multitude of various systems, either to manage waste product, or to ensure pipelines always stay flowing.

5b3a8a3ba30db_Screenshot(217).thumb.png.65bde596a529efc70cf601fbdb762049.png

Spoiler

5b3a8a310fc19_Screenshot(216).thumb.png.bd10410dfa5983e71c58d1b19d3a8e33.png

The tiles of the gas tanks and all piping is abyssalite, otherwise this ends up being a major heat source.  Yes, it needs to stay permanently sealed once it's operational, unless you are willing to have a major gas leak, and I do mean MAJOR.  I have gotten these tanks up to thousands of Kg, so even a few seconds breach would expand to take up a large swath of the map.  The gas valves closest to the tanks are mechanical filters, and are set to 1g, then every input passes through a valve set to 990g, which are connected to a loop that includes every filter, so if a gas is not accepted by the closest filter, it will simply move on past all of them until it is either accepted by one of them, or is pushed out of the overflow vent at the bottom by a blockage.

Fourth is my power grid, which I try to keep clean, simple, efficient, and minimal.  I am considering focusing on the tileable nature to expand it to generate 20kW, but for now I don't need that kind of power.

5b3a8c0306717_Screenshot(218).thumb.png.bea95cdb1b69854cd756a1d640dedb64.png

Spoiler

5b3a8c0d9a702_Screenshot(219).thumb.png.5fb7bcc754f3cba2d559310a87d6f5c3.png5b3a8c3350cfd_Screenshot(222).thumb.png.5b93efced28c10acb7f154e5fefd6dff.png5b3a8c171e88f_Screenshot(220).thumb.png.a77ca9038aaeaceacf7b952b1efc5f8c.png5b3a8c29496ac_Screenshot(221).thumb.png.44f80c3a4fe97962c81af09c423bf112.png

Every generator, save the solar panels and hamster wheels, are controlled by a single smart battery set to 25 on-75 off, Which ensures that no generator ever generates wasted power.  Every transformer has a smart battery on the small side controlling it set to 10 on-100 off.  With this setup, transformers are only on long enough to charge its battery, then turns off until it needs to charge again, so they are off more than on, saving power, and preventing heat generation.  The only waste power I ever have is the minor loss from battery storage, which is unavoidable.  When building, I recommend  starting with the generator battery, as it's the most efficiency for the lowest material cost.

Finally, Here's my most simple build, but one I think a lot of people over-complicate to their detriment, my all purpose farm.

This is one of the first things I build, it is the lowest part of my base at the time, so the dupes naturally fill it with CO2, preventing any food from rotting.  I start with mealwood, transition to mushrooms as soon as possible, and now I'm experimenting with bristle blossom in this particular base, since I have an overabundance of water on this map.

5b3a8ff083240_Screenshot(223).thumb.png.88427bacf60d1882a81ad01b62e18b6e.png

Spoiler

5b3a8ff9a37d9_Screenshot(224).thumb.png.b981b02565e04439b006c13d92150148.png

IMO, the most important thing to take away from any build is not the build, but how it works, and why it was built the way it was, and then use those principles in your own problem solving. 

I hope this has been helpful to someone, and not too confusing. n_n

43 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

I'm proud to say that neither electrolyzer EVER hits max gas pressure

That's rather irrelevant as electrolyzer is never wasting anything. The gas pumps in your setup will waste power though when they grab gas packets smaller than 500g.

That may be true, but getting max output over a set time is my concern for electrolyzers, not energy efficiency, since it's already energy positive.

Now if I could balance the pumps to keep the gas pressure exactly between 2kg and 500g, that would be nice, but even then you have pump inefficiency whenever it picks up hydrogen. 

As is, the pressure bounces radically between 1kg and 200g, less than 100 at the bottom.

6 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Hello Everyone! I decided to create this thread to try and pool any and all builds onto one topic, @Neotuck, @Lifegrow (Sorry for anyone else I forgot to mention) have both posted a lot of useful builds on these forums which help new and old player alike, but as time goes on they get lost, become outdated etc. This thread can also help new players get ideas and inspiration, help veteran players power up to new tiers and just help people in general. 

You can post any build you like and a short or long description of how it works and what it does, and what major patch it last worked on (If it contains an exploit of any kind please let people know as this means it might be patched out one day. NO ARGUING ABOUT WHAT IS AND IS NOT A EXPLOIT), whether it be an oxygen set up, an improved SPOM or even your critter ranch, If it's something you are proud of and want others to see or want help improving it, drop a post!

All I ask is that everyone please be considerate of each other, No Flaming etc and please accept constructive criticism. Sometimes an extra pair of eyes can point out something you have missed or they have had a similar experience and want to help you before it is too late!

Tonight when I am home (About 30 mins from now) I will post my Cool Steam Geyser Cooling System, Natural Gas Geyser Collection and Hydrogen Gas Geyser Collection (Just in case someone looks and sees that nothing is here! Also if anyone could find the post or recreate the post for mechanical filters I think that would be great to have here as well.

It's funny I've launch yesterday a personnal site which have the same concept as it's a pain to find a set up on the forum. Espacially if it's a little old.

I use my personnal experience (/played 1300 hours) to do some examples and also use some good ideas from others Players. If I use a set up designed from another player, I will put his name and link his post / site / Youtube channel. If a player ask me, I can delete his set up from the site.

https://www.oniarchitecte.com/

Sorry it's in French and in a early stage but maybe it could gives you some ideas to organize all the set up.

12 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

That may be true, but getting max output over a set time is my concern for electrolyzers, not energy efficiency, since it's already energy positive.

That's easily solved by adding more electrolyzers (remember they don't waste anything). 

13 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

Now if I could balance the pumps to keep the gas pressure exactly between 2kg and 500g, that would be nice, but even then you have pump inefficiency whenever it picks up hydrogen. 

You could isolate o2 and hydrogen before pumping.

That sounds like trading material, space, and output rate for a few dozen watts of energy, which while not a real loss of anything late game, just feels bad to me, and would be much harder to set up early.

Though it's from an older game update (Ranch mk2) this is the power plant design I use in my non-debug colonies. Just good'ol plain Hydrogen and Coal power (off screen below the hydrogen generators) properly automated for as little waste as possible.457140_20180517125437_1.thumb.png.3e9ebeaae79db6ad9074ffeac93fbdf5.png.

I guess I will share my "incomplete" builds here. Incomplete because I'm not happy with them yet but may inspire others to improve.

Preserve heat from 500C vents while still taking leftover

Screenshot_5.png.1082f3ccf319ba2879f02280b1852796.png

Atmo sensor (bottom) set above 4000g, upper atmo sensor above 1000g. Buffer gate from left is 3s, 6s, 9s all unpowered doors.

Spoiler

Screenshot_6.png.6e06bc22fe4ad11cdfd4fdc1ae742706.png

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that little heat, Probably boiling little PW?

Simple PW boiler with two-layer condenser, no PO2

Screenshot_7.png.4ca2de3e6230d4b08ba05e1fb75e075b.png

Feature from this builds is those condensers. Pretty simple, yet can maintain a high difference between two. While left side pretty warm, right side stays cool. Thermo sensor set above 125C and liquid pipe thermo set above 90C. It has two input PW on top, Left is from pre-boiled PW 100C or more, and right is random PW from surrounding area 20C-30C. When PW in condenser getting too hot, he will pass pipe thermo and dive into 125C oil.

Spoiler

Screenshot_8.png.550b0d8f8d07d493072d918b7f356e0e.png

Screenshot_9.png.e857225b37d9d20f1a6b4041ac9161b5.png

I didn't use this anymore because I need my iron volcano heat for boiling oil. This is used earlier in my playthrough before I build a stack of NGG.

11 hours ago, SamLogan said:

It's funny I've launch yesterday a personnal site which have the same concept as it's a pain to find a set up on the forum. Espacially if it's a little old.

Sorry it's in French and in a early stage but maybe it could gives you some ideas to organize all the set up.

Personally I believe any build posted here should be allowed to also be on your website so feel free to copy anything over. If someone does ask for you to remove it though, it would be nice if you honoured their wishes. 

15 hours ago, TOOK14 said:

(and not too commonly understood) mechanical filter

I've been following the forums for a while, and still cannot wrap my head around the mechanical filters.. Can you recommend a thread with a detailed explanation or maybe, even better, a video?

27 minutes ago, 8loop8 said:

I've been following the forums for a while, and still cannot wrap my head around the mechanical filters.. Can you recommend a thread with a detailed explanation or maybe, even better, a video?

Tonight I will post a picture and explanation for you :) I will also show you a shut off filter and the normal filter listing the pros and cons(How it breaks) of each.

1EB9C3694F28BB62E261549273C7C6761CBC6205

I'm not good at this game and this is the most complex thing I've made, and was very proud and super satisfied when I saw it working lol..
Do wish I had a more updated SS but, this Colony has since died (or rather, I quit a colony if only one dupe dies, never used tombstones lol) before I took a SS of the updated one (that ran polluted water through pincha pepper plants before it went to the polluted water tank)

What it does is simple, takes water, runs it through those farm tiles that needs water> runs it through lavatories and showers, before eventually going into the polluted water for disposal>The water sieve was not yet set up on this image but it eventually did that too.
The colony died at cycle 236, my current record, reason? Too much water was being used due the amount of plants I had going that needed water.
Which ultimately lead to my Hydrogen set up not working. (It used the same water as above, any clean water leftover went to that, but again, no SS of the updated thing)

I also quit if a dupe dies. Hits me really hard. 

If water is your achiles heel @TOOK14s build at the top would be rather useful to have early on since you will always get a little bit of extra water everytime a dupe goes to the toilet. If your store it over time it can add up to a fair amount!

2 hours ago, Kats said:

The colony died at cycle 236, my current record, reason? Too much water was being used due the amount of plants I had going that needed water.

This is why I don't like farming bristle blossom or sleet wheat until extreme late game, mushrooms only take slime, and are just as good as blossom calorie wise, and quality wise until you get pincha.

I also tended to quit if any dupe died, but I haven't had that happen in a long time now, granted I use alt+q to save dupes that teleport behind walls they just built, or fell because they stood on the dig site instead of the ladder I had purpose built.  I actually once saw a dupe dig a wall, then climb the no longer existing wall 8 tiles and entomb themselves in said wall, 8 tiles up.

Glitchy dupe pathing and the lack of high temp gas pumps are the only things in this game that honestly bug me, maybe a lack of a way to automatically clean regolith off of your bunker door setups, but I'm sure Klei will add something for that in the next patch or so. 

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

I also quit if a dupe dies. Hits me really hard. 

If water is your achiles heel @TOOK14s build at the top would be rather useful to have early on since you will always get a little bit of extra water everytime a dupe goes to the toilet. If your store it over time it can add up to a fair amount!

This is why I nearly exclusively take small bladder dupes, turn that negative quirk into their best positive!

My Puft Farm! Requires no maintenance other than your poor wee rancher!

I designed this build with the idea in mind that some people like eggs, some people like meat, so why not both! This farm stops your dupes getting to some of the eggs ensuring that your stable will always have some pufts remaining! The sweeper on the left will only pick up slime, Whilst the sweeper on the right in my design will pick up slime and all eggs except the normal puft eggs. Any normal puft eggs which do drop on the right will naturally incubate, and using the critter drop off you can get rid of any excess pufts with whatever kill method you choose! Personally I am evil and let them starve.

This is also my first ever puft farm and first ever attempt at using transit tubes...

20180703193444_1.jpg

20180703193451_1.jpg

20180703193455_1.jpg

20180703193501_1.jpg

Archived