Show and Tell your builds, All Welcome.

Those are some nice liquid locks.  However,  I can pretty much guarentee that all of them will eventually fail.

The 2 high openings are being blocked by a 1 high gas block and a tiny liquid amount. 

Once the pressure differential gets large enough that gas block will be able to slip sideways.  Might still be blocking most movement, bit you're going to have some leakage. 

Also those tiny liquid locks have a tendency to let dupe travel eventually push the liquid droplet out of place, breaking the seal. 

10 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Once the pressure differential gets large enough that gas block will be able to slip sideways

500kg/tile vs vacuum is large enough? But liquid still not move.

12 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

Also those tiny liquid locks have a tendency to let dupe travel eventually push the liquid droplet out of place, breaking the seal. 

Al my bases before has improved airlocks. And duplicants never break it. Loading game break it sometimes. But only top, 30g part. 300g part always stay at place.

Anyway, this cionstruction must be tested, yes :)

On 7/14/2018 at 9:25 PM, Kabrute said:

1 sieveing pwater turns sand into pdirt
2. too many variables it could be done with as few as 12 plants per dupes roughly, less with eggs/barbeque
3. farm station works on some wild plants(pepper nuts) exploit, may be patched in the future
4. All of them..... mushrooms turn slime into a +2 food, bristles are +1, become +2 from cooking, and top out at +4 with a peppernut
5. no
6. Depends on immersion, in hydrogen and all liquids, a temp as close to 29c as possible is optimum, in most other gasses, 10 to 45c are fine
7. Trial and error, slime is the more challenging because you typically aren't using exosuits the first time you try to clear one...... these exosuits make environments trivial....

wow, they want 84 degree air..hmmm, i thought they wanted cooler...... that may help me....thnxx

On 7/18/2018 at 4:17 PM, AnotherBoris said:

500kg/tile vs vacuum is large enough? But liquid still not move.

Al my bases before has improved airlocks. And duplicants never break it. Loading game break it sometimes. But only top, 30g part. 300g part always stay at place.

Anyway, this cionstruction must be tested, yes :)

Are they for atmo-suits only?

What happens if dupe exhale standing on it? Or dupes allways exhale in top cell?

32 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

What happens if dupe exhale standing on it? Or dupes allways exhale in top cell?

Pretty sure dupes exhale in the bottom cell given how often they mess up my 1 tile deep pacu tanks when they have to go into them.

2 hours ago, Prince Mandor said:

In fact - yes :) All my duplicants wear exo-suits 100% of the time. I already forgot that they can breathe :)

1 hour ago, Sevio said:

Pretty sure dupes exhale in the bottom cell given how often they mess up my 1 tile deep pacu tanks when they have to go into them.

How do I understand the exhalation is breaking the liquid blocks? This is news to me.

@AnotherBoris When dupes can breathe (if they are in oxygen), they exhale their CO2  in the bottom tile they are standing in, displacing anything that was there. If it's oxygen it will move to another oxygen tile, if it's water it will move the water to another water tile. So then you have on the bottom layer: water, a tile of CO2, more water. On the layer above there will be oxygen. Because water is a liquid it wants to push the CO2 away but because CO2 is heavier than oxygen it can't move up to the oxygen. If another pocket of Co2 happens to float by above the water, it can fix itself but otherwise it can stay broken a long time if not forever.

11 minutes ago, Sevio said:

When dupes can breathe

I tested it right now. Pour water on the floor in the living room and locked it in the morning. Did not notice the movement of the liquid - only its destruction by exhalations :) Thanks again for the new information

P.S. I asked again - now to create this: "@AnotherBoris"?

A good way to cool water using thermo aquatuner.

Oni2.thumb.png.b1d89596119c4dbb23d31b6a45d2437b.png

I use this too cool my water from my steam geyser.  The water is around 90°C after the full geyser cycle and exit all the aquatuner at around30°C (31°C,32°C it depends)

Oni1.thumb.png.e4b5be490009f0738e4e59cc4a9d89ca.png

Oni4.thumb.png.dbc0be17944e682cd1a6cfadd5c952da.png

When all the aquatuner are working the temperature in the room is around 76-78°c. You need to place all the transit tube next to the AETN so it won't melt (Cosmic upgrade). With the transit tube next to  the AETN the plastic is around 76°c but it will never melt.  (Plastic melting point 76,9°c) The room is full of diamond tempshift and all the aquatuner are made of iron. (Gold make the aquatuner heat too much)

And when the geyser is dormant the room can go to around -45°c

1 hour ago, NaSaltCl said:

A good way to cool water using thermo aquatuner.

Erm... Khm... M-m-m...

Man, You have AETN and some Wheezewort right? They absorb heat, right? And for coolng water you heat petroleum, cool hydrogen, hydrogen cool diamond, diamond cool petroleum... And all this construction eat about 5k energy and require 16*8*800 = over 100 tonns of diamond? O_o! Where is it 'good way'? It's a *censored* *censored* way, as for me!

Why you can not just cool the water by woths and AETN? Or cool intermediate heat accumulator (like pool with oil) and let the radiator pass through it with water? The effect will be the same, but for 100 tons of diamonds and 5k of energy cheaper.

3 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Erm... Khm... M-m-m...

Man, You have AETN and some Wheezewort right? They absorb heat, right? And for coolng water you heat petroleum, cool hydrogen, hydrogen cool diamond, diamond cool petroleum... And all this construction eat about 5k energy and require 16*8*800 = over 100 tonns of diamond? O_o! Where is it 'good way'? It's a *censored* *censored* way, as for me!

Why you can not just cool the oil by woths and AETN and let the radiator pass through it with water? The effect will be the same, but for 100 tons of diamonds and 5k of energy cheaper.

Then I should have said a quick way too cool water. And there is no actual use for diamond other than tempshift, unless you want to waste it by feeding shinebug. For the 5k electricity used for this I don't mind I have a lot to waste. I have 2 rooms like this full of diamond and I still have 10K left of it.

Of course this is not a early game building. But i believe it's a good way for the late game if you need your water quickly.

36 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

if you need your water quickly.

This is not an argument. Intermediate heat buffer give us same effect.In addition, in your build, it is also there - these are the very 100 tons of diamonds that accumulate heat. And it is the capacity of this accumulator that determines how much water you can cool before the room overheats. But, I repeat, you can cool the water right away! Build a pool with water instead of diamond walls, and get the same effect. If you need water exactly 30C - build a thermoregulator from a dozen pipes and a couple of Shoutoffs.

36 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

I have 2 rooms like this full of diamond and I still have 10K left of it.

This is a very bad argument. No matter what and how much you have, it is important how much you spend on this particular building. And you spend 100 tons more than you could. If you have the courage to call your building "good", then there must be at least some advantages in it. And instead they have a large size and a huge expenditure of energy and resources for construction.

17 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

these are the very 10 tons of diamonds that accumulate heat. And it is the capacity of this accumulator that determines how much water you can cool before the room overheats.

The room never overheat it always stay at 76°c no matter what. Sometimes I cool water at 96°c the temperature stay same. I made the calcul there enough cooling with the wheezewort and the AETN to cool the room. 

For the expenditure I like to show my new dupes how rich we are in this colony. They go in the room and boom! 100t of diamond.

Like I said I never use a lot of diamondother than tempshift, I just gone crazy and put all the room in diamond. But im pretty sur if you want you could only use a quarter of what I used.

17 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

The room never overheat it always stay at 76°c no matter what.

2 hours ago, NaSaltCl said:

And when the geyser is dormant the room can go to around -45°c

I do not understand. Cooling power is not enough to absorb all the heat produced. You room heating. So why heating stops? Geyser become dormant?

Heat deletion

Screenshot_42.thumb.png.5c816e867b2d45e91a610a5b67ef5ca1.png

With overcomplicated piping

Spoiler

Screenshot_43.thumb.png.2904c7a23ffbe20fe22c25a558d3017f.png

Water version

Screenshot_44.thumb.png.bdf6e70005f0f3e5a9fd232079cdc130.png

Of course, they still using p-water as a medium for efficiency

Spoiler

Screenshot_45.thumb.png.90ce9d0721c54c7336af418436c466e4.png

Another heat deletion

Screenshot_46.thumb.png.b6772f0f39ed2daad958212e3cf82c9e.png

Granite temp shift plates and all metal from iron is fast enough to transfer -400W heat production

Spoiler

Screenshot_47.thumb.png.b899b696ca08cf70e312b8654651cd3b.png

2 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

I do not understand. Cooling power is not enough to absorb all the heat produced. You room heating. So why heating stops? Geyser become dormant?

I made the calcul, 1 AETN and 5 wheezewort if what you need to have negative heat production.

Aquatuner produce 58,5KW when they cool water at 10Kg/s. The aetn produce -200Kw. Each wheezewort produce-12Kw.

the total heat production is negative. Of course even with a negative heat production they heat up, but only to 75°c. Thats why in this case I use aquatuner made of iron because gold transfer far too much energy. Gold go to 115/125°c even with a heat production negative.

8 hours ago, AnotherBoris said:

P.S. I asked again - now to create this: "@AnotherBoris"?

You just type @ followed by some starting letters for the person's name and a list will pop up that you can choose from. If you don't see the person you're looking for keep typing more letters until you find them.

27 minutes ago, NaSaltCl said:

Aquatuner produce 58,5KW when they cool water at 10Kg/s. The aetn produce -200Kw. Each wheezewort produce-12Kw.

You're off by a factor of 10. An aquatuner cools 10000 g water by 14 degrees at a heat capacity of 4.179. So the cooling is 4.179 * 10,000 * 14 = 585060 Watts = 585,06 kW.

It gets worse if you use the more efficient liquid for this, polluted water with a heat capacity of 6. In that case an aquatuner cools 6 * 10,000 * 14 = 840000 Watts = 840 kW.

Since aquatuners only move heat, not destroy it, this is the real amount of heating done to the aquatuner's surroundings. The numbers on the tooltip are time warped and misleading.

Yes my bad on this one I checked my .txt old of 2months, I was lost. :p

42 minutes ago, Sevio said:

You're off by a factor of 10. An aquatuner cools 10000 g water by 14 degrees at a heat capacity of 4.179. So the cooling is 4.179 * 10,000 * 14 = 585060 Watts = 585,06 kW.

It gets worse if you use the more efficient liquid for this, polluted water with a heat capacity of 6. In that case an aquatuner cools 6 * 10,000 * 14 = 840000 Watts = 840 kW.

Since aquatuners only move heat, not destroy it, this is the real amount of heating done to the aquatuner's surroundings. The numbers on the tooltip are time warped and misleading.

Here's the proof.  The room was at 26°c at start and I was pumping water at 93°c.oni5.thumb.png.f9c25abfe1eec9bde9a2eebc710f7b8f.png

After 4 cycle, I didn't have a lot of water too cool.

oni6.thumb.png.775c404bc39024b02fdb92bd7068947b.png

The plastic tube never melt. The temperature stayed at 76°c during 3 cycle wand was balancing between 75,9°c and 76°c

I use this system since cycle 700 I can confirm that its working just as planned.

32 minutes ago, neoazureus said:

IIRC an AETN produces -80 kW = 6.66..67 wheezeworts in hydrogen.

I think we really need to test all of this. I always hear/ read something differrent for the AETN/wheezewort.

A few weeks ago in this thread I posted a build that vents steam off into space for cooling and @BlueLance suggested dropping liquids instead, so I tried it. :p

Miles upon miles of insulated pipe and entire cycles worth of dupe labor I present to you: LEROY (Liquid Ejection Refrigeration - Oil Y).

image.thumb.png.d68f6ff18682a053e24551bdbe72fb9c.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ba9512ca9a4e4d92533a0a5e5ea6979d.pngimage.thumb.png.559ae9e7d53165a9d0d0ea94ddf2206c.png

The business end of this device is simple: It is a box (Ari for scale) that is fed with crude oil coming from an oil well all the way at the bottom of the colony. A thermo sensor detects wether the oil has reached the maximum temperature of the aquatuner (175°C), opening the door when it does. The memory toggle will hold the door open until the liquid level has dropped upon which the liquid sensor will send a reset signal, closing the door. The liquid sensor will also open up the oil intake filling the box with crude once again. The liquid valve (covered by Ari) is set to 6kg/s to limit the aquatuner's output. The cooling loop is filled with Pwater for maximum power efficiency.

Now you might be thinking: why use oil? So I did some math and if we suppose we have one kg/s of water available for ejection into space it is actually more efficient if we use that water to pump crude oil from an oil reservoir and use that oil instead. The difference is not mere percentages either. The old build requires 532W of electricity and provides 272KW of cooling (assuming we use water from a cool steam vent and cool that down with the setup we build here) using one kg/s of water. This build however, requires 721W of electricity (assuming we burn the natgas from the well for power) and provides 487KW of cooling, almost 80% more!

So in short this build is high on capital invested with all the insulated pipes running literally through the entire colony. But it is very efficient on resources used and will give you the equivalent of about 40 weezeworts in hydrogen without a single use of heat-deletion through fixed outputs. As always, feedback and comments are appreciated :p.

Archived