Show and Tell your builds, All Welcome.

My humble first contribution, a small heater that will output liquid with at least a set temperature.

For context I'm using pwater from a slush geyser to cool the fresh water from a steam vent, then route the heated pwater to a pepperplant farm. But during the steam vent (long) inactivity periods there isn't enough heat left to warm the pwater up to 40C sustainably, so I added that system as a safeguard.

Spoiler

SmallWaterHeater1.jpg

SmallWaterHeater2.jpg

The thermo sensor activates the liquid shutoff when water in the pipe is at least 40C, letting it through.

The sensor is also connected to the tepidizer though a NOT gate, activating it when heating is required.

SmallWaterHeater3.jpg

On 7/22/2018 at 4:04 PM, nvzboy said:

A few weeks ago in this thread I posted a build that vents steam off into space for cooling and @BlueLance suggested dropping liquids instead, so I tried it. :p

Miles upon miles of insulated pipe and entire cycles worth of dupe labor I present to you: LEROY (Liquid Ejection Refrigeration - Oil Y).

image.thumb.png.d68f6ff18682a053e24551bdbe72fb9c.png

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.ba9512ca9a4e4d92533a0a5e5ea6979d.pngimage.thumb.png.559ae9e7d53165a9d0d0ea94ddf2206c.png

The business end of this device is simple: It is a box (Ari for scale) that is fed with crude oil coming from an oil well all the way at the bottom of the colony. A thermo sensor detects wether the oil has reached the maximum temperature of the aquatuner (175°C), opening the door when it does. The memory toggle will hold the door open until the liquid level has dropped upon which the liquid sensor will send a reset signal, closing the door. The liquid sensor will also open up the oil intake filling the box with crude once again. The liquid valve (covered by Ari) is set to 6kg/s to limit the aquatuner's output. The cooling loop is filled with Pwater for maximum power efficiency.

Now you might be thinking: why use oil? So I did some math and if we suppose we have one kg/s of water available for ejection into space it is actually more efficient if we use that water to pump crude oil from an oil reservoir and use that oil instead. The difference is not mere percentages either. The old build requires 532W of electricity and provides 272KW of cooling (assuming we use water from a cool steam vent and cool that down with the setup we build here) using one kg/s of water. This build however, requires 721W of electricity (assuming we burn the natgas from the well for power) and provides 487KW of cooling, almost 80% more!

So in short this build is high on capital invested with all the insulated pipes running literally through the entire colony. But it is very efficient on resources used and will give you the equivalent of about 40 weezeworts in hydrogen without a single use of heat-deletion through fixed outputs. As always, feedback and comments are appreciated :p.

Interesting.  But wouldn't it be better to heat the oil up,  then heat it up some more to make gas to burn for power rather than give it up to space?

Just now, Soulwind said:

Interesting.  But wouldn't it be better to hear the oil up,  then beat it up some more to make gas to burn for power rather than give it up to space?

What you are describing is an oil boiler, that's not what this is. An oil boiler needs additional cooling and provides power, this thing provides cooling and uses power.

Besides, boiling oil to natgas isn't my style, I have power to spare already.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, TOOK14 said:

I have wanted to share some of my more basic designs for awhile, but couldn't decide on a format, so thank you @BlueLance :)

I'll start with what I believe is fundamental and core to my bases, which I can run on very little water and power, while supporting 16 dupes near indefinitely.

First is my bathroom plumbing, yes it is that important, and make sure ALL PIPES ARE ABYSSALITE, or you will cook your crops to death, and then starve.  Ceramic is a good substitute at first if you are slow on digging, but you still want abyssalite ASAP.  With this setup, the bathroom will not need more than 100kg water to start(10 pipe sections), and then it will produce polluted water for you to use as you want, and the way I use it is to feed my electrolyzers, which is why I have my Pwater tank set up to pump back into my bathroom plumbing to pass by the sieve again when my electrolyzer feed pipe is empty.  This build also showcases the uses of pipe input/output priority.

Screenshot (225).png

Reveal hidden contents

5b3a80a6b9f78_Screenshot(209).thumb.png.f35321f391301daffdcf709c940c3bc6.png5b3a8098a53d3_Screenshot(208).thumb.png.d4a2d8439365783eaddae4b9fe300f89.png

I realized after upload that there should, but doesn't HAVE to be, another liquid valve after the auto shutoff, set to 4kG, so help ensure you don't back up your plumbing, and that I have my electrolyzer and Pwater tank swapped compared to the sieve XD(fixed the plumbing overlay pic, just ignore the problem on the rest pls).  Also, if you run out of power, you will eventually drain the water out of the system, in that case just snip the line to the Pwater tank, and the Pwater will patiently wait for the sieve to filter all of it, just make sure there is a water output SOMEWHERE, or the pipes will clog.

Second is my most recent electrolyzer system, which changed radically with cosmic, because of the door pump nerf, and the removal of the light gasses left, heavy gasses right mechanic.  I used the age old, (and not too commonly understood) mechanical filter, with the newer radiant piping to give myself a constant stream of cool O2, and cheap hydrogen.

Now I know this is gonna look intimidating, and while it can be a bit obnoxious to set up, it's actually really cheap, simple, and can sustain ~17 dupes, while providing enough hydrogen to give you a minor energy surplus.  Note, you don't need more than 4 wheezeworts, but more is helpful.

5b3a85ddbeaa7_Screenshot(210).thumb.png.fd76770b1181388e50c048bba947a05a.png

This system is feeding 18 atmo suits in addition to the 16 dupes in base, and is typically my only source of hydrogen on the map.  I'm proud to say that neither electrolyzer EVER hits max gas pressure unless the gas pumps back up, for which I have safeguards to ensure never happens.

Hide contents

5b3a85e72ba67_Screenshot(211).thumb.png.99325a9c6db10d0ff45425f5843bda80.png5b3a85ee9fd65_Screenshot(212).thumb.png.4f359e91a27f450ef9b603d478892e94.png5b3a85f580d58_Screenshot(213).thumb.png.0d63fc245f1bc42499fbce506439c338.png

Provided are deconstructions of the two very dense piping setups, just move the bridges back over onto the pipes. All valves are set to 1g

Third is something I believe is a bit controversial to the anti-exploit crowd, and I do consider it an exploit, but I use it anyway as I believe it is simply working around incomplete content, and I will puzzle out a more honest method eventually.  For now, this infinite gas sorting and storage is an essential part of my base, and is a real chore to set up.  Again, using mechanical filters, in conjunction with permanently under-pressurized vents, to sort and store all gas I collect from across the entire map.  It does back up at times, but scaled down versions of this could prove useful in a multitude of various systems, either to manage waste product, or to ensure pipelines always stay flowing.

5b3a8a3ba30db_Screenshot(217).thumb.png.65bde596a529efc70cf601fbdb762049.png

Reveal hidden contents

5b3a8a310fc19_Screenshot(216).thumb.png.bd10410dfa5983e71c58d1b19d3a8e33.png

The tiles of the gas tanks and all piping is abyssalite, otherwise this ends up being a major heat source.  Yes, it needs to stay permanently sealed once it's operational, unless you are willing to have a major gas leak, and I do mean MAJOR.  I have gotten these tanks up to thousands of Kg, so even a few seconds breach would expand to take up a large swath of the map.  The gas valves closest to the tanks are mechanical filters, and are set to 1g, then every input passes through a valve set to 990g, which are connected to a loop that includes every filter, so if a gas is not accepted by the closest filter, it will simply move on past all of them until it is either accepted by one of them, or is pushed out of the overflow vent at the bottom by a blockage.

Fourth is my power grid, which I try to keep clean, simple, efficient, and minimal.  I am considering focusing on the tileable nature to expand it to generate 20kW, but for now I don't need that kind of power.

5b3a8c0306717_Screenshot(218).thumb.png.bea95cdb1b69854cd756a1d640dedb64.png

Reveal hidden contents

5b3a8c0d9a702_Screenshot(219).thumb.png.5fb7bcc754f3cba2d559310a87d6f5c3.png5b3a8c3350cfd_Screenshot(222).thumb.png.5b93efced28c10acb7f154e5fefd6dff.png5b3a8c171e88f_Screenshot(220).thumb.png.a77ca9038aaeaceacf7b952b1efc5f8c.png5b3a8c29496ac_Screenshot(221).thumb.png.44f80c3a4fe97962c81af09c423bf112.png

Every generator, save the solar panels and hamster wheels, are controlled by a single smart battery set to 25 on-75 off, Which ensures that no generator ever generates wasted power.  Every transformer has a smart battery on the small side controlling it set to 10 on-100 off.  With this setup, transformers are only on long enough to charge its battery, then turns off until it needs to charge again, so they are off more than on, saving power, and preventing heat generation.  The only waste power I ever have is the minor loss from battery storage, which is unavoidable.  When building, I recommend  starting with the generator battery, as it's the most efficiency for the lowest material cost.

Finally, Here's my most simple build, but one I think a lot of people over-complicate to their detriment, my all purpose farm.

This is one of the first things I build, it is the lowest part of my base at the time, so the dupes naturally fill it with CO2, preventing any food from rotting.  I start with mealwood, transition to mushrooms as soon as possible, and now I'm experimenting with bristle blossom in this particular base, since I have an overabundance of water on this map.

5b3a8ff083240_Screenshot(223).thumb.png.88427bacf60d1882a81ad01b62e18b6e.png

Reveal hidden contents

5b3a8ff9a37d9_Screenshot(224).thumb.png.b981b02565e04439b006c13d92150148.png

IMO, the most important thing to take away from any build is not the build, but how it works, and why it was built the way it was, and then use those principles in your own problem solving. 

I hope this has been helpful to someone, and not too confusing. n_n

The electrolyzer build is remarkable. For a live build, if i read this right, 1)  build the ventilation from the mechanical filter entrances to the top room. 2) use any old cross-pipe with guaranteed hydrogen to prime all the filters, and destroy the cross-pipe when you're done. 3) build out the rest, sit back and let the good times roll. Does that sound right?

Your results look incredible. You're really getting 16 dups + 18 exosuits out of it? what temperature is the exiting oxygen with 4 wheezes vs 8?

I've been using the hybrid SPOM Mk II for oxygen for a while. (To my surprise, I can build one in my sleep.) I asked about the cooling because I normally only cool the inner base via the oxygen from the SPOM's, which once matured comes out around -15c.

I use a 24-dup base, and have three of those SPOMS running, but I am severely pressed to keep my exo-docks full. Further, this construction is, aside from the initial build, positively trivial in terms of tech. I could imagine building one almost as soon as I get stable hot water.

The truth is, this is exciting enough for me that I'm not even going to wait for an answer, I've got a cycle 35 game save where I was just about to SPOM up, and I'll try this tonight.

Thanks so much, to @BlueLance for starting the thread, and to @TOOK14 and all the folks for sharing. I've gotten a ton of ideas.

6 hours ago, GeePaw said:

The electrolyzer build is remarkable. For a live build, if i read this right, 1)  build the ventilation from the mechanical filter entrances to the top room. 2) use any old cross-pipe with guaranteed hydrogen to prime all the filters, and destroy the cross-pipe when you're done. 3) build out the rest, sit back and let the good times roll. Does that sound right?

Your results look incredible. You're really getting 16 dups + 18 exosuits out of it? what temperature is the exiting oxygen with 4 wheezes vs 8?

I've been using the hybrid SPOM Mk II for oxygen for a while. (To my surprise, I can build one in my sleep.) I asked about the cooling because I normally only cool the inner base via the oxygen from the SPOM's, which once matured comes out around -15c.

I use a 24-dup base, and have three of those SPOMS running, but I am severely pressed to keep my exo-docks full. Further, this construction is, aside from the initial build, positively trivial in terms of tech. I could imagine building one almost as soon as I get stable hot water.

The truth is, this is exciting enough for me that I'm not even going to wait for an answer, I've got a cycle 35 game save where I was just about to SPOM up, and I'll try this tonight.

Thanks so much, to @BlueLance for starting the thread, and to @TOOK14 and all the folks for sharing. I've gotten a ton of ideas.

I'm assuming you're using the SPOM as it stands in the original thread? If that's the case, it's overpressuring a lot due to the recent left/right gas interaction. Your oxygen shouldn't be coming out at -15 if you're using 4 wheezes, it should be coming out at like 10-15. What I changed when I was still using the SPOM build, is swap out the metal tile directly next to the electrolyzer with an airflow tile. I saw my oxygen output increase by almost 50% from that and my temperature increase from ~-20 to 10 degrees instead.

A single electrolyzer can output enough oxygen for 8.88 dupes. Don't forget that when dupes use exosuits, they just breath the oxygen inside the suit instead, they don't consume additional oxygen. So a single SPOM should suffice for exactly 8 dupes + 8 exosuits. 9 if atleast 1 of your dupes has diver's lungs.

The above build that uses pumps is energy efficient, yes, but it can be done even better. Why use pumps to pump out your oxygen when you can just let it flow freely into your base?

PRz067l.png

This is the main part of my base. I generate an awful lot of extra power from that setup, since all it takes is 24w to pump the water needed to power the 120w electrolyzer and 48w to pump the hydrogen. That's 192w to generate 800w of power. The system is limited by the amount of dupes that I have however. The system only generates as much oxygen as is removed from my base. The oxygen pumps are there only to feed oxygen into the exosuits. I haven't begun construction of my power room yet, but once that's up and I get engie's tuneup, that single hydrogen generator generates a positive of 1kw! It has single handedly powered my base since cycle ~30 until I ran out of starting biome water and had to start cooling water.

I just place a few wheezes around the place to lower my temperature, if needed. Reducing the temperature of oxygen is so painfully simple that all it takes is either a few wheezes or a little bit of cooled water. I'm 270 cycles into this base and have no issues with the temperatures. Look at the temperatures of my gristle farm for example which use 5.1 degrees cold water. It's way too cold in there right now.

v16ejkt.png

@Capsup -- you're certainly right it was the overpressure. the actual build i was using was a hybrid that appeared in the thread that first defined the SPOM Mk II. it has a slightly different arrangement than the Mk II, but is substantially the same, and I noticed constant overpressuring in the electrolyzer chamber. i was getting roughly 500kg o2 per cycle, which is what drove me to try this one out. i'm overpressure in the base just this minute, and still getting 1330kg (from the two).  the SPOMs self-powered but didn't load an external hydrogen generator much at all.

(aside that doesn't change the thrust of your argument, just the detail: that's 240w for each of water and hydrogen, and 120w for electrolyzer, so your net would be 200w, which is less than needed to pump o2 to the exodocks. again, still more efficient than this build, just wanted to be clear.)

with the temperature, i now see that the over-pressure was probably responsible for that, too: the oxygen was spending correspondingly longer amounts of time in the cooling chamber. this build (with all 7 wheezes) is currently emitting at about 11c, but the cooling chamber isn't matured yet.

i will certainly take your ideas seriously next pass. for now, the truth is, i'm just high on life from not having to worry even a little about oxygen for the first time ever. no doubt, efficiency will drive me to try a free-flow design next time now that i grasp the deeper problem i was having with the enclosures.

Other slow learners in the early midgame like me --  this build was not very hard, just scary to look at. once you're comfortable with mechanical filters in general, tho, it's easy to grasp. and it does solve the problem, tho bear in mind the critique offered above.

23 minutes ago, GeePaw said:

(aside that doesn't change the thrust of your argument, just the detail: that's 240w for each of water and hydrogen, and 120w for electrolyzer, so your net would be 200w, which is less than needed to pump o2 to the exodocks. again, still more efficient than this build, just wanted to be clear.)

Liquid pump takes in 10kg/s, electrolyzer consumes 1kg/s so that's indeed 24W. Similarly Gas pump takes maximum 500g/s of gas so 48W is again correct. All you have to do is make sure the pumps only operate if they can take maximum packets.

38 minutes ago, GeePaw said:

@Capsup -- you're certainly right it was the overpressure. the actual build i was using was a hybrid that appeared in the thread that first defined the SPOM Mk II. it has a slightly different arrangement than the Mk II, but is substantially the same, and I noticed constant overpressuring in the electrolyzer chamber. i was getting roughly 500kg o2 per cycle, which is what drove me to try this one out. i'm overpressure in the base just this minute, and still getting 1330kg (from the two).  the SPOMs self-powered but didn't load an external hydrogen generator much at all.

with the temperature, i now see that the over-pressure was probably responsible for that, too: the oxygen was spending correspondingly longer amounts of time in the cooling chamber. this build (with all 7 wheezes) is currently emitting at about 11c, but the cooling chamber isn't matured yet.

i will certainly take your ideas seriously next pass. for now, the truth is, i'm just high on life from not having to worry even a little about oxygen for the first time ever. no doubt, efficiency will drive me to try a free-flow design next time now that i grasp the deeper problem i was having with the enclosures.

Other slow learners in the early midgame like me --  this build was not very hard, just scary to look at. once you're comfortable with mechanical filters in general, tho, it's easy to grasp. and it does solve the problem, tho bear in mind the critique offered above.

As Grimgaw mentioned, automation is your friend when it comes to power efficiency.

Setup an atmo sensor such that it will always suck in atleast a full packet of 500g of hydrogen, resulting in a gas pump that only runs 1/5th of the time AKA a power usage of 48w instead of 240w per 100g of hydrogen.

The same is true for the liquid pump. Set up a hydro sensor such that it always sucks up a full packet of 10kg of water which runs an electrolyzer for 10 seconds, AKA a power usage of 24w instead of 240w per 1kg of water.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:40 PM, GeePaw said:

Yes, that's about right, and I find it easiest to have the filter's hydrogen loop isolate from both input and output when you prime it with hydrogen from some random stable pocket.

On average, once the temps stabilize, I find my O2 comes in around 10-20c, not as impressive as -15c, but still cool enough to keep everything happy.  I'll also point out that the initial criticism of my O2 system is valid, so if power efficiency is more important than space or material, which I assume is likely, then you should probably split the pumps 25 above/75 below the electrolyzers, and have them hooked up to atmo sensors.

I tend to power 2-3 hydro gens with this system, but I do use automation to control the gens, so they are not running 100% of the time.

25 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Improved deodoryzers:

Improved_Deodoryzer.png

Do not allow polluted oxygen to mix with oxygen. Never. Even in the case of nuclear war and the zombie apocalypse :)

What is the range of the deodorizers? Do the outer ones actually work? Also would not it be better to put them on top of gas tiles directly?

Just now, AnotherBoris said:

All 4 works. And yes, we can "put on top of gas", but it require one airflow tile (100kg raw metal) for each deodorizer. In my case - only 1 airflow tile per 4 deodoryzers.

Good to know, so it boils down to space vs material efficiency.

9 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Not so much. Tiles above deodoryzers must contain gas anyway, so in my case we spend 2*5 tiles for 4 deodorysers, in yours 2*5 for 5 deodorysers. And 100kg raw metal vs 500 :)

I meant more tile/deodorizer ratio then exact building size. Both examples can be easily stacked horizontally. Also they surely can pull gas diagonally, meaning mine would be 100 metal for 3 deo, yours 100 for 4.

A little cool thing I'm using while it works :

Recreation.jpg

A shine bugs bomb to generate continuous 720W solar power + give my dupes +12 morale from decor everything single cycle. The bonus is so high that my dupes reached the cap of 1000 for decor that I didn't know exists ^^

12 minutes ago, tove96 said:

How on earth do you feed 153 shinebugs???

Don't forget the 41 shine nymphs ^^

Each bug needs 100g of phosphorite per cycle, with ~200 bugs that's 20Kg per cycle. There's a ton of phosphorite on the map, and a full drecko farm produces more than that anyway (bugs eat dreckos poop, better not think about it to much).

Want to show how i tend to make my farms.

Sleet wheat:

image.thumb.png.b1d84d5f1aa00e63700ae7decd32b97b.png

as the water sieve put out 40 degree water i use that to my advantage, by using insulated pipes of abyssalite i can keep the temperature fixed. after passing 3 Aquatuners the water exits at -2 degrees and still wont freeze, this is usually enough to cool the farm and feed it at the same time. if the dirt is too hot you might need a wheezeworth or 2 for a bit extra cooling.

the valve limits the max amount of water to max 3kg/s so that only 1 aquatuner is running at a time. that way i can power all this with a conductive wire without it breaking.

if you have access to a slush geyser this might be a bit better:

image.thumb.png.d4d1705bd52fcd78b92aa793572e4687.png

trapping -10 degree cool p. water and using that to cool the farm.

if you want, there is also easy to automate fertilization:

image.png.d275021859dd4f0c26291f70bb85ba60.png

Pincha Pepper farm:

image.thumb.png.205fd6b28acfdb4a1294b9e292331231.png

simple system, intake on the left, let it fill entire space before closing it of. metal tiles on top to transfer heat to the room from the water. Tepidizer to heat the water if needed and a not gate to shut down tepidizer once temperature is high enough and start pumping.

on top, i have setup automatic fertilization of plants.

My simple oxygen generation:

image.png.bb5d1e5bd628ba2f4dd0b679dfa41e33.png

image.png.1947d0df9b8b6a46c3f65bd38f9bdb53.png

this system separates hydrogen and oxygen without the need for a filter.

to the left, i cool the oxygen using a room full of hydrogen and 3 wheezeworth. if the temperature is lower then 16 degrees the door under 2 of the wheezeworths open and they stop cooling, so the temperature wont become too low. the 3rd oxygen pump joins another pump for my other room and enters a similar cooling room as on the left.

the hydrogen pumps atmo sensor is set to around 500 g, but as long as the entire system is running at full pace, so will the hydrogen pump.

16 minutes ago, Xadhoom said:

the valve limits the max amount of water to max 3kg/s so that only 1 aquatuner is running at a time. that way i can power all this with a conductive wire without it breaking.

In that case you can simplify by having only 1 aquatuner and make the water loop back into it if it's not cold enough (thermo sensor + liquid shutoff for the automation).

Just now, Djoums said:

In that case you can simplify by having only 1 aquatuner and make the water loop back into it if it's not cold enough (thermo sensor + liquid shutoff for the automation).

well, its possible, but a lot more tricky to get the automation correct. as each package of water could have different temperatures. so you would need to stop a package of -2 degree water to go another round into the aquatuner. also you can not allow half packages of water to happen, as it would mess up temperatures and you would not be able to get -2 degree water out of the aquatuner.

as i said, these builds are "simple".

Right, it's hard to do when the output pipe is backed up. Since you're watering plants it's definitely the case.

It can still be done with a reservoir acting as a buffer between the aquatuner and your plants, but that adds some complexity then.

Can find in the forum my tuto for vaccuum isolation and vacuum airlock (perfect to prevent damage when dev choose to change the heat transfert law of the game)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1199057865

My old water treatment system (last version use autosweeper to move fertilizer so it's perfectly close, but since the natgasgen modif i don't know if it self sufficient anymore)

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198289043640/screenshots/

Archived