An easy Glossy Drecko Ranch

Each pocket feeds 1 drecko, shown are 2 pockets.
image.png.2fbe8d367c4a2e31a70530e98cfc79ca.png

Dreckos seems to prefer eating from the wall, this puts every plant next to a wall, keeps the dreckos in hydrogen alot, and lets you farm the mealwood right next to the hydrogen environment.  I put an o2 vent in the top left corner an H vent in the middle, move stations to far right and add in farm plots as needed for critter count.   Allows the active farming and maintenance of glossy dreckos with their preferred meal, tested stable over 150 cycles

I was thinking something like "hey, and what if dreckos stand on doors for eating-time and on the same time dupes travelling could be faster" sort of... but i miss the holding gas pocket part :D

(Anyway you gave me ideas, have to try setups with gas pressure control and... DOORS ! I never give up ahah)

well you could use doors in that setup if you left the oxy vent running in the top left corner of the room, this would filter feed a constant supply of o2 over the plants and eventually out of the room if designed for/around it

5 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Ehhh? My drecko eats from one plant on its own. Where did you get 3 from out of curiosity.

Someone posted the math and I have confirmed it by having my dreckos start starving if I didn't make sure you keep the right mealwood farm to drecko ratio. It does take a lot of cycles depending on how much your off the right ratio, but eventually the game will start spamming critter starving warnings.

Actually, you need 2 plants per drecko.  They eat 30% of a Mealwood for 1,000 kCal.  They consume 2,000 kCal per day.  You can cut the corner for an extra 3%/plant eventually, but really that just helps deal with new drecko relocations.

5 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Actually, you need 2 plants per drecko.  They eat 30% of a Mealwood for 1,000 kCal.  They consume 2,000 kCal per day.  You can cut the corner for an extra 3%/plant eventually, but really that just helps deal with new drecko relocations.

I'm not following your math, a mealwood plant can't be eaten by a drecko when it's blow 25% and above 75%, so that would make it 3 plants.

@Miravlix It doesn't eat the entire plant.  Once it's above the needed percentage, it simply eats it 30% at a time.  You'll have to watch 'em sometime, but that's how the domestic dreckos end up working if you stare at them long enough.   Oh and they can CERTAINLY chew down a 100% plant.  Try leaving your plants in a non-harvestable setting.

It was only after I disabled autoharvest on my crops that I was able to keep 2 plants per dreck, having the plants waiting means the dreckos eat their fill a little more often, I have found my starving stopped 2 cycles after turning off autoharvest, now its just the puft prince starve spamming me.

1 minute ago, WanderingKid said:

@Miravlix It doesn't eat the entire plant.  Once it's above the needed percentage, it simply eats it 30% at a time.  You'll have to watch 'em sometime, but that's how the domestic dreckos end up working if you stare at them long enough. 

That still doesn't change that it can't eat a plant for something like 50% of it's lifespan.

Not sure if it can eat 26% from a 26% plant either or just 1%.

Hrm, I suppose my testing needed to actually include the glossy drecko!  I've been so involved in figuring out optimal setups for *getting* glossy, I don't think I ever noticed if I actually filled a ranch with them now.  I've been figuring out percentage gains for possible glossy / cycle, atmosphere setups for getting tons of reeds, etc... but now that I'm staring at it... My current game has... *4*.  A whole 4.  Glossy Dreckos.

Well, thanks @Miravlix and @PhailRaptor , I'd probably have ended up banging my head on the wall a while before I'd remembered there was a calories count difference.

Thanks for this. I've been trying to figure out a workable glossy farm ever since I randomly noticed a wild one in a caustic area. I guess a wild regular drecko hit the 2% chance for a glossy egg... lol.

Also, sheared dreckos give me the heebie jeebies. There's something vaguely icky about the look...

I am so annoyed about glossy dreckos getting stuck in the door to the stable.  Every so often I have to wrangle one of them back in.  I wish I would see it happen so I know what conditions cause this.  I thought at first it was when they were moving on the door and it opened but that's not it.  Maybe it's when they are moving from the tile in front of the door to the door and it opens before they get there. 

Archived