Solar pannels are weak.

15 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Most people appear to have some mindset that electrolyzers have to be in sealed cooled rooms far away from their main base.

If you use an open bottom design and let them go overpressure which is just fine you can get away with a lot less pumps.  I use 2 electrolyzers per 1 pump in 2 separate rooms that feed in to the same pipe network.  Since they spend a lot of time overpressure I may be able to get away with just 1:1.  Either way 1 pump 2 electrolyzers is only 480 watts.  Two of those rooms easily supply more than enough hydrogen to feed a generator with extra left over.

Can i have your oxygen production model, mine is quite expensive in energy

3 hours ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Just a theory but I think the solar power will be supplemented by helium generators. And the helium will be produced by melting regolith(the surface material or meteor material) so cleaning debris from the blastdoors will make sense 

Helium generators? Helium is inert. I'm confused.

30 minutes ago, avc15 said:

You are right. Helium is inert. But "inertia"  is a chemical property. Meaning it chemically does not like to react with other elements.

Helium-3 is an isotope of helium chemically the same but with an extra neutron in it's core.

Helium-3 generators are a kind of fission reactors "aneutronic" as they are called. Meaning in opposition to an uranium reactors they don't release neutrons that keep a chainreaction going. Please don't quote me on that but I think they fuse he3  with deuterium 2h (heavy water, an isotope of hydrogen with an extra neutron) only releasing a proton(energy) and becoming "normal"helium in the process. 

Edit. For game purpose I think the only way of implementing this would be for a generator that takes h2o and he and deletes them both to generate power

3 hours ago, calibayzone said:

Open-air electroayzers surrounded with a cold loop of radiant hydrogen pipe from AETN/wheezeworts with gas shutoff thermostats takes almost no extra energy.

I use granite pipes with petroleum but the idea is the same.

TBH, I'd much rather the dupes find a way to fuse hydrogen into helium, releasing mass energy in the process.

Spoiler

Yes, I'm well aware that I'm asking Klei to give us the ability to make our own mini-suns.

And then I want them to give us the ability to make our own mini-asteroids.

After that I want them to give us the ability to make our own mini-dupes, and then our own mini-colony.

And further down the rabbit hole we go. How many layers deep are we already in?

On 3/6/2018 at 1:04 AM, Man in the Mist said:

The setup for Electrolyzers is a bit less than the power a hydrogen generator provides. 

Electrolyzer: 120W
Gas Filter: 120W
Two Gas Pumps: 480 W
Total: 720W

Hydrogen Generator output: 800 W

Get to the point where you can boost the generator's output with microchips and you'll be able to support other things like thermo regulators, two of which require 480 W for a total of 1200 W, exactly the amount a boosted generator provides.

You forgot the water needed for the Electrolyzer.

You don't need a gas filter (with the optimal Electrolyzer setup).

Smart Batteries is your friend, the setup doesn't actually drain anywhere near the pr. item listed usage, because they are idle, so the real problem is messing up the pipes because you have more hydrogen than the generator can use, that is simple to solve though, add another generator that is part of some other electric network.

Microchops is kinda evil, yeah sure they boost efficiency, but they use metals a mostly finite resource, so it takes some effort to control that the dupes doesn't use up all of single type of metal for making chips.

25 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

Microchops is kinda evil, yeah sure they boost efficiency, but they use metals a mostly finite resource, so it takes some effort to control that the dupes doesn't use up all of single type of metal for making chips.

Since the ranching update, I have yet to generate a map that didn't have a metal volcano of some sort somewhere.  Refined metal isn't a finite resource anymore.

10 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Since the ranching update, I have yet to generate a map that didn't have a metal volcano of some sort somewhere.  Refined metal isn't a finite resource anymore.

Plus it looks like some of the comets will contain metals so that will be another source of refined metal, though they might be ores instead.

59 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Lucky you, I've not generated one with one yet.

Even better some ruins actually erased at least one in my current map. I have two tiles of neut left and the "classic" water area to indicate I lost a cool steam geyser.

Honestly, if we are going that way we could better go through with a nuclear reactor first. Then enrich the uranium further to shoot off asteroid-threatening comets and "accidently" hit that pesky asteroid running "best dupe base of the year" for 5 years in a row.

17 hours ago, avc15 said:

Fusion baby!

11 hours ago, Man in the Mist said:

Plus it looks like some of the comets will contain metals so that will be another source of refined metal, though they might be ores instead.

Ore > metal

Some things for some strange reason need ore and not just pure metal. Wish we could replace all ore needs with metal and to make them better even!

I think power sources are very situational.

I read someone say I rarely need more than nat gas and fertilizers, other says they never struggle for water, other that do. Truth is that depends on each other playstyle and seed map. I really struggled for water early game (because vents were reaaaally unreachable and on oposite extremes of the map. And with only 1 natural gas vent with a 70 cycles dormant period, I would love to have 4 solar panels helping with a bit, even during the day. I have 32 hatches producing coal and without nat gas is draining my reserves.

Even so, it does need a bit twiking to make it not so hard to set up. Maybe not using so much flipping space in space. lol

On 02/06/2018 at 6:26 AM, Risu said:

And I'm still waiting for gas generators to be nerfed. Again they will be the reason nobody wants to try a new addition which results in it not getting the development it needs.

Now 1 NGG needs 90 g/s of Natural Gas. It was changed (before 1 NGG needs 60g/s). I didn't saw it in the patch notes (CU 271403 preview)

Spoiler

CU - 271403

image.png.fe349c67547563c50388c564b5f28e78.png

Wiki and R2 - 269773

image.png.e108dd23eed24a10b725222fcca2c1f4.png

NGG produces less carbon dioxide

Edit: Fertilizer Synthesizer produces 30g/s of Natural Gas (20g/s before) (Sum input = Sum output)

Ratio 3 Synthesizer for 1 NGG don't change but some Natural Gas Geyser could be more useless if they didn't increase their output.

Well I for one do not mind! I am in total agreement with Risu, At the moment a lot of people just use Fert Sythns to make all their power supply.

Personally I would love to see them rework the synthesizers so that instead of natural gas they produce something else, such as polluted oxygen, or ammonia or increase the power they use. Natural gas is too potent and easy to come by.

Just now, BlueLance said:

Well I for one do not mind! I am in total agreement with Risu, At the moment a lot of people just use Fert Sythns to make all their power supply.

Personally I would love to see them rework the synthesizers so that instead of natural gas they produce something else, such as polluted oxygen, or ammonia or increase the power they use. Natural gas is too potent and easy to come by.

Yes, i use a lot of Fert Synths with a polluted water geyser. And I do maths for create 5.8 kg fertilizer when a dupe use 1 lavatory + 1 sink. (energy consumption for 1 aquaturner and water sieve = energy production for excess polluted water with Fert Synths and NGG). I only need a dupe doing their business (I'm trying to chose dupes with "small bladder" trait). I will test it with debug mode

I think the fertilizer synthesizers are in a good spot right now, but I would rework the amount of polluted water a natural gas generator emitis.

=> That wouldn´t nerf early builds that utilize polluted water pockets around the map, but would make the late game generator/fertilizer synthesizer loops less efficient.

In one of the other threads, I think it was the units one about kg becoming t, it was brought up that when you chill NatGas you get liquid Methane, and that gaseous Methane is much lighter than NatGas.  Perhaps that fact could be used to rework the NatGas Generator?  Treat NatGas in a similar manner as P-H2O, in that it has a bunch of impurities in it, and doesn't burn as well as Methane would.  So for each packet of gas the NatGas Generator receives, if the packet is Methane it will produce more power, while NatGas will produce less (impure fuel).  You could then also tweak the NatGas Vents, so that they produce a small amount of Methane, and a larger amount of NatGas.  This would mirror the Cool Steam Vent producing a little Water and a lot of Steam.

This would create room for another building to refine NatGas into Methane.

2 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

You could then also tweak the NatGas Vents, so that they produce a small amount of Methane, and a larger amount of NatGas.  This would mirror the Cool Steam Vent producing a little Water and a lot of Steam.

I Like this idea too ;)

Archived