Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

On 7/6/2018 at 11:59 AM, minreaV said:

their acting is very expressive. Webber's body language is especially adorable.

Thank you! Do you mean the character behaviors, though?
Unfortunately, looking back, I see I messed up on Webber. He's supposed to say 'Our,' 'we,' and 'Us.' I exited the image in the program though. Editing it would be a hassle, as would re-uploaded it, editing the post, ect... Hopefully I'll remember for the next comic. 

Yeah, the baby doydoys are really cute in this game!  I love Wigfrid's quotes and attitude for the species, too. 

I have more drawings I put on hold because after scanning, I wanted to edit them still or add more to the page, so they will have to be seen in the next big scanning marathon I do. (Which will be in the next ten thousand years  soon, with hope.)

Until then, here seems to be the last of what I consider suitable to put here. 

shadowwigfrid_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vci.pn
I was practicing a shadow-Wigfrid, with the weird 'functional spear' I tried to design. It's nothing unique to her, just an idea that all of Don't Starve's spears could possible be drawn glaive-like, with a single sharp edge, to help make more sense of the way characters use them. 
But it definitely fits on her the most.
And hey look, I gave them pupils for once!
The hair bun was difficult. I'm pretty sure I did it wrong. I was on a bus and had no internet access. No hair-bun-references. Sorry people. 

shadowmimesmokes_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vdt

Drew this while my family was out and about, waiting for my parents to come back from shopping, us kids waiting in the car. I started to draw a Shadow Wes and my sister, Cookie, said, 'Draw him smoking, everyone seems to think he smokes,' and so I put something like that in his hand, but then at the bottom scribbled in the story behind it.
That's Maxwell. A very inaccurate Maxwell. 
There is something off with Wes's legs. I could probably fix it if I erased them and redrew them, which I might do, so I guess, don't be surprised if this pops up again in the future with a revision. 

His face felt off at first, in the full-body illustration, but I fixed it a little.
However, the bottom where he's facing Maxwell, I feel like I got that one just right. 

I learned after drawing this that Maxwell's hair is not shaped like that. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

However, the bottom where he's facing Maxwell, I feel like I got that one just right

I agree, that one looks pretty spot-on with the hair especially.

Maxwell's hair is combed flat against his head. So it's mainly a matter of remembering what his hairline looks like, which is generally receding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Maxwell's hair is combed flat against his head. So it's mainly a matter of remembering what his hairline looks like, which is generally receding.

Yeah. I looked at references of him when drawing his stilt-heels, so I think I understand it better now. If I get time before next scanning thing, perhaps I can fix all the Maxwell's in my book.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 2:24 AM, gallusvarius said:

carrotsaregoodforyou_by_gallusvarius-dcg

Wilson hates the carrots too. Is he trying to get Webber to eat his share? >u<

On 7/8/2018 at 4:04 PM, gallusvarius said:

shadowwigfrid_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vci.pn

Oh! I love this piece! *u*

On 7/8/2018 at 4:04 PM, gallusvarius said:

shadowmimesmokes_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vdt

That Wes at the bottom looked amused. I wouldn't anger him if I were you probably-no-longer-king Maxwell ^^;

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

Wilson hates the carrots too. Is he trying to get Webber to eat his share? >u<

I was thinking of having Wendy remind him of that point, yes. Not sure if I feel that it needs to be illustrated, but might if enough people seem to mention it.
It's probably a matter of - If he takes the position of trying to get Webber to eat HIS carrot, the perhaps people are less likely to question him about whether he ate them too...

Oh! I love this piece! *u*

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with it too. 

That Wes at the bottom looked amused. I wouldn't anger him if I were you probably-no-longer-king Maxwell ^^;

Perhaps, only that I'm not sure what Wes could even do-

Wait. Now I remember. Me and my sister had them fist-fight each other and Wes won, just barely alive himself. Hmm, okay, valid point... 

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. Who made him a HAL costume?
  2. No, not even familiar with them, actually...  Don't know who that is. Can't say those look much like hyena teeth though, they're too flat.
  3. She's kind of scolding/teaching. Maxwell is probably giving her attitude about how to cook the food.
  4. webbermeetswilbur_by_gallusvarius-dcg9v2
  5. wilburandthedoydoy_by_gallusvarius-dcg9u
  6. carrotsaregoodforyou_by_gallusvarius-dcg
  1. @Ninjanemo
  2. That's from the adult manga Berserk. The artist has a teeth fetish(to the point it holds him back from releasing volumes in YEARS).
  3. As someone who waits for Mumsy to get to the point and gets annoyed when she keeps repeating the same craving,  sometimes I just want to scream at her to shut up.:wilson_ecstatic:
  4. Webber to the rescue! The hands remind me of seaweed.
  5. I wonder what would happen if a doydoy and m'Goose let their derpy children meet...?5aefdeba06b63_wilsonthonc.png.e1a6c19d47df44913f8d49249edbad85.png
  6. Wilson being team dad(Woldgang and Woodie being number two in that position).
On 7/8/2018 at 12:04 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. shadowwigfrid_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vci.pn
  2. shadowmimesmokes_by_gallusvarius-dcg9vdt
  1. Very subtle version of Wigfrid. The way you drew her here, she wouldn't look out of place in the new Klei game Griftlands.
  2. You'll eventually get MAxwell's hair right.:wilson_smile:
  • Thanks 1

On 7/9/2018 at 3:05 PM, minespatch said:

@Ninjanemo

Ah, them. I need to look longer at their stuff. I haven't had time for staring at a whole lot lately, though, other than my school and aquarium work, and then Gorge when I can.
All my drawings have been on paper lately and await the next scanning marathon.

As someone who waits for Mumsy to get to the point and gets annoyed when she keeps repeating the same craving,  sometimes I just want to scream at her to shut up

If Maxwell did that I don't think he would be able to purchase anymore milk, cookware or silver bowls and plates. Someone else would have to do it. XD

...Probably Wes, which Maxwell would hate even more. 

Webber to the rescue! The hands remind me of seaweed.

Interesting thought. I wanted to just make them all different, but seaweed is interesting, considering that people have died/drowned before because of being tangled in kelp.  I could make little thingies that protrude off the next underwater hands I do, that I could make hard to tell between tiny tentacles, or kelp leaves. 

Yeah, first time I saved Wilbur, which was on my father's account and not mine, it was Webber who saved him. My early days were filled with Webber in Shipwrecked. I need to draw stuff from that, probably. Webber is TOO CUTE in a pirate hat.

Very subtle version of Wigfrid. The way you drew her here, she wouldn't look out of place in the new Klei game Griftlands.

I think the biggest difference here for me is her eyes/eye shape being more realistic this time, and the whole feel was supposed to be a little more serene. Like some casual survival and noticing rain is about to start. 

• Like 1

I'm alive, I just haven't scanned anything.  I keep putting it off because there's so much. But the longer I wait the larger the back-load of things to scan grows. 
Meanwhile as I procrastinate, I animated some dancing spiders. It's nothing high-quality, but I figured it would be more interesting than silence.

5b55699c36f74_dancingspider2.thumb.gif.35772c9bf94854e3073463b6d7b17c72.gif

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

I love it. Especially the guy on the left.

Thanks.
I think Webber taught them to do this. Probably tried to show everyone. I'm sure they went along for it in the beginning, but after the show they probably tried to steal Wilson's shoes or something.

• Like 2

I like how you drew every frame, so it's not just the legs that are moving. Really makes the dance more energetic.

46 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Probably tried to show everyone. I'm sure they went along for it in the beginning, but after the show they probably tried to steal Wilson's shoes or something.

Heh, yeah. Check your shoes for itsy bitsy murder spiders, everyone.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

I like how you drew every frame, so it's not just the legs that are moving. Really makes the dance more energetic.

Yeah, though there are definitely some parts that could use work... It was made under an hour though, so meh.  If I had really been trying I would have given them fur and legs that weren't just lines. 

Thanks, though, for your compliments.

54 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

Heh, yeah. Check your shoes for itsy bitsy murder spiders, everyone.

Only that these are probably the size of basket balls.
I imagine they would add a hoard of shoes to their nest... Reminds me of how porcupines are sometimes reported to eat camper's shoes - The sweat contains salt and porcupines have serious salt cravings, every single one of them.    I wonder if spiders want sodium now and again too. 

:0 You've got a lot of art here! I can see the progress through your works. I see that you do animation as well - the dancing spiders are great.

I was practicing a shadow-Wigfrid, with the weird 'functional spear' I tried to design.

I like her expression and pose. I feel like the spikiness of her hair could be toned down, so that it's more thready or sort of frazzled. Your concept for the spear is also pretty cool as well. 

started to draw a Shadow Wes and my sister, Cookie, said, 'Draw him smoking, everyone seems to think he smokes,' and so I put something like that in his hand, but then at the bottom scribbled in the story behind it.

I love Shadow Wes's design. He looks pretty holier-than-thou in your drawing, aha! Again, I feel that the hair spikiness is a bit much - perhaps use a combination of smooth lines and particular placement of the spikes.

(I hope you don't mind me critiquing your work or anything, let me know if you'd rather I don't!)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Auspice said:

(I hope you don't mind me critiquing your work or anything, let me know if you'd rather I don't!)

No, I don't mind. But sometimes I agree or disagree, or that I decide for myself whether they're correct sometimes, particularly when I ask other people and the other people have entirely different ideas about what's right or wrong about the picture. 

I like her expression and pose. I feel like the spikiness of her hair could be toned down, so that it's more thready or sort of frazzled. Your concept for the spear is also pretty cool as well.

Thank you.
As for the hair spikes, I think I could have made them curl more. It looks like she has some flat spots in her hair, looking up the skin, but I frequently don't have availability to references/internet when I draw on paper, and so I didn't know this while drawing the picture...  Though, I don't feel strongly against the hair spikes myself, not too much. No one else has complained, there may be bigger problems with it than hair spikes. 
Unless you mean her hair-buns. Yeah, those things are endlessly messed up. 

I love Shadow Wes's design. He looks pretty holier-than-thou in your drawing, aha! Again, I feel that the hair spikiness is a bit much - perhaps use a combination of smooth lines and particular placement of the spikes.

Thanks.
I do know more about Shadow Wes having smoothed hair in some places. I frequently try to draw it and frequently find it feels 'wrong,' and fiddle with it until it feels 'right,' and then it ends up spiky. With hope the future drawings of him will be better as I draw more of him, or as it would go for both of them. 

You've got a lot of art here! I can see the progress through your works. I see that you do animation as well - the dancing spiders are great.

Thanks.   I do animation occasionally, it's more of something I just dabble in now and again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

No, I don't mind. But sometimes I agree or disagree, or that I decide for myself whether they're correct sometimes, particularly when I ask other people and the other people have entirely different ideas about what's right or wrong about the picture.

Ok, cool

I have a pretty similar view on critique - I'll appreciate other viewpoints but only take what I like.

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

I frequently don't have availability to references/internet when I draw on paper

Ah. I more often than not pull up references on my phone or whatever available device - I find drawing others' characters remarkably difficult without one, especially if I am mimicking their style.

Unless you mean her hair-buns.

Alas, hair is sometimes a mystery. When I made a whole bunch of OCs, they has very little hair variation since I didn't know how to draw other hairstyles. References and tutorials have helped me since, though.

I do know more about Shadow Wes having smoothed hair in some places. I frequently try to draw it and frequently find it feels 'wrong,' and fiddle with it until it feels 'right,' and then it ends up spiky. With hope the future drawings of him will be better as I draw more of him, or as it would go for both of them. 

I see... I definitely relate to that feeling of a drawing feeling "off." 

I look forward to it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Auspice said:

Ah. I more often than not pull up references on my phone or whatever available device - I find drawing others' characters remarkably difficult without one, especially if I am mimicking their style.

My phone has no SIM card, it only has internet when near our house. I usually don't take it places with me, though.  
This is why I usually don't have references when I draw on paper.

• Sad 1

Okay, okay, I finally got around to scanning. Here's some of the stuff... I'll show a few recent things real quick, actually. While I was helping my brother move and we had to wait for our mother to return for a bit,  I brought along printer paper this time and decided to see what I could do with it.

walaniportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ke.p
Well, I tried anyway. This is Walani, and I feel like something is very wrong with her eyes, I think they needed to be wider apart. Same thing for her whole face, really.  And the left hair-orb could be readjusted... But if I tried to erase and re-draw I'd leave a big smear, or a shadow where it all once was. I'll just have to try to do better next time.
There was also a little more shading on the face that the scanner sort of messed up. 

I hope people like it anyway, though it seems like Walani is a sadly underrated character. I think most of the Shipwrecked characters seem to be, don't they? 
wxportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ai.png
I messed around with WX-78's face to see if I could find an interesting way to do his eyes. The scanner also made this one fainter, you can just barely still see the chest bolts. Grr.
I was thinking, those cameras that like, have the... Spiral-y-things that open and close, maybe his eyes work like that. A camera is, after all, the closest example we have to a literal mechanical eye. 
I imagine in that sense he might have two 'eyelids.' The spiraling camera-like one that works more like how our pupils expand and contract, and a heavy-duty cover, a real eye-lid, that he can shut down over them to protect the delicate mechanisms. Basically, a robotic version of the way our own eyes works. 

wilsonsatyr_by_gallusvarius-dcid1fv.png

Sometimes our family gets together (No choice about it either) for 'family time' and they read Narnia this time. I was drawing as they read and Wilson became the victim. The result of me drawing while I listen to Narnia and it's fauns. 
He seemed hairy enough for the job, I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

This is Walani

Hey, not bad! The details in her eyes and nose are great, they look quite realistic. Realistic noses always feel weird to me in the sketch/lining phase.

On the matter of eye positioning, I think that their slant could also be reduced. I see what you mean with the hair... This is why I almost exclusively draw digitally. Too many inconveniences with traditional. 

I was thinking, those cameras that like, have the... Spiral-y-things that open and close

Oooh, that's a cool concept! I can see that. 

Wilson became the victim

This is the quality content we all deserve

(I haven't read Narnia, actually.)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Auspice said:

(I haven't read Narnia, actually.)

It's a magical world some kids find when they go through this wardrobe that literally dumps them into Narnia. Satyrs and talking animals are commonfolk in the land and humans don't exist - In Narnia, seeing a human is like seeing a unicorn, something of fable.
As a result, characters that are fauns/satyrs aren't uncommon. One primary character was. It was that character's introduction they were reading when I made Wilson into one.   I should have given him horns. 

30 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Hey, not bad! The details in her eyes and nose are great, they look quite realistic. Realistic noses always feel weird to me in the sketch/lining phase.

Thanks. I don't know how I got noses to look realistic, though... One step in the right direction for me, was to just draw  the nostrils and the nostrils only. Use faint shading to explain it's presence from there. You can sketch a weird line to help you 'see' the shape of the nose as a frame for the shading, but you'll want to remove it in completion, to leave the shading behind. 

31 minutes ago, Auspice said:

This is why I almost exclusively draw digitally. Too many inconveniences with traditional. 

Actually, I would call digital art my specialty. But I have less time right about in this time of my life, and traditional has been kinder since I can draw while in a car or on a bus or anything like that.   I had a heavy art block not long ago and Don't Starve has been dragging me out of it pretty darn well, but I'm really going out of my comfort-zone. I like to try to do realistic stuff in digital art. Granted, it's never really realistic, not like I'd like it to be, but practice makes perfect...
The Don't Starve stuff I do is much faster than the digital, it doesn't take over 8 hours like the digital stuff. On paper, it takes two at most, usually far less. And most of my Don't Starve stuff I try to do is stylized. I've spent a long time trying to 'crush' style in favor of realism, so I'm very inconsistent. But though I'm literally working in the opposite of my norm, I feel like this is a good experiment, and definitely good at keeping me drawing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

In Narnia, seeing a human is like seeing a unicorn, something of fable.

That is so interesting. Perhaps I should look into it.

I should have given him horns.

I agree. Alas, missed opportunities.

One step in the right direction for me, was to just draw the nostrils and the nostrils only.

Oooh. Perhaps that might prove helpful in resolving the mental dissonance with my realistic noses. It's definitely all the lines that get me.

I had a heavy art block not long ago and Don't Starve has been dragging me out of it pretty darn well, but I'm really going out of my comfort-zone.

It's definitely fun to step out of your comfort zone sometimes. I mean, this is the first time I've dedicated drawing to a fandom, and it's been great at providing me with inspiration and motivation.

Much time has passed since I've made work traditionally (I do doodle occasionally),  though I admit pencil sketches are faster. Ink can be stressful, though. Permanence.(Dang, I never finished my 2017 Inktober... oh well.)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Oooh. Perhaps that might prove helpful in resolving the mental dissonance with my realistic noses. It's definitely all the lines that get me.

Yes, definitely. I mean, personally I had less issue because I can feel okay drawing something that looks less than attractive if I know somehow that it's realistic... But either way just drawing the nostrils helped me. 
Nostrils can say a lot about the shape of the nose, actually. Most noses' nostrils will just be darkened, horizontal lines, when the face is looked at straight-on. Only very perky or upward noses may show their nostrils as kind of ovals when seen straight-on. Very downward noses may have even less distinguished between the natural shadows occurring under the nose and the nostrils.   Narrow noses will have more narrow, closer nostrils, and wider noses will have wider nostrils that are also wider apart.
You may find you like your noses better if you can translate them through nostrils alone.

Look at me, writing a paragraph on nostrils... 

• Thanks 1

So, anyone remember when I talked about me and Cookie taking Maxwell and Wes, turning on the PVP, and having them fistfight to the death?
I ended up drawing that around the time people had strong reactions to it, but it didn't make it up here until now. 

wesandmaxfight_by_gallusvarius-dcid1bq.p
Wendy and Webber can be seen at the bottom...
weswinsthefight_by_gallusvarius-dcid1cs.
And the smeared results. My pencil-stuff keeps getting smeared. It doesn't look smeared when I scan it, or even now, but somehow that scanner must just love emphasizing smears?
So, in me and Cookie's experiment, which we actually tested multiple times for science, Wes won each time with around 18 HP, so the winning scene here is supposed to be a Wes who is as beat-up as I knew how to make him.  Wendy and Webber are again present... I think Maxwell's dialog is visible, but in case it isn't, he's saying, 'I'm still more dapper than you....'

forgewebber_by_gallusvarius-dcid1hv.jpg
Might as well throw this in too. Not especially proud of it, I kept it around to work on it further but I never did, so I'm calling it some awkward form of 'finished.'
The hands are too small and the shading still light, but this is forge-webber. Not especially well-drawn, though. I shall have to try again next time.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

fistfight to the death

This is amazing in many ways. Maxwell is, of course, a sore loser despite science proving him to be weaker than Wes.

forge-webber

Some quality fierce expression here

I quite like Webber's Forge skin. I am sad I only started playing DST after the event was over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I quite like Webber's Forge skin. I am sad I only started playing DST after the event was over.

Yeah. Me and my family have been playing it for a fairly long time, but my getting so seriously into the characters and lore has been a recent thing.

• Like 1