Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

On 6/23/2018 at 12:34 PM, gallusvarius said:
  1. Yeah, I feel like there are more than pirates in SW - We have Ukuleles and krampus in Hawaiian shirts.
  2. Would Maxwell be a cruise captain? 
  3. Would Wilson be a marine biologist, maybe a famous one?
  4. Perhaps. They always look concerned or alarmed when players near them, so it might be staring at them.
  5. Well, I think I was imagining - You know how you only bring so many items with you between worlds in adventure mode? That Webber happened to be frolicking through adventure mode with flowers, and didn't expect to find Maxwell. So it's kind of the scene where he first comes to see him, but it's badly-drawn. Low-effort.
  6. I appreciate that you comment pretty much everywhere on everything at these forums. It really helps people get to drawing and feel encouraged. 
  1. Definitely, there's a tropical theme. Maybe Zombie Wes could be a unlockable skin?:wilson_ecstatic:
  2. You could already do that in DST but maybe?
  3. If he came back to our realm... Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe?
  4. You'd think goats would enjoy being milked.
  5. That makes sense. The garland acting as a sanity boost.
  6. The forum is my second family to me! I'm happy to help.:wilson_smile:

Just a tad slow due to notifications going crazy during Gorge time.590458b698295_whenthemetheuspuzzlehappened.thumb.png.09129db97af1e5ed45c05bcf0797894d.png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, minespatch said:

You could already do that in DST but maybe?

His formal skin? Yeah, kinda... Something needs to fit him.

If he came back to our realm... Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe?

I'm thinking a Jacques-to skin or something. Their Victorian skins are for a more ancient time, so why not a more forward one. 

That makes sense. The garland acting as a sanity boost.

That's what I was thinking. 

Just a tad slow due to notifications going crazy during Gorge time.590458b698295_whenthemetheuspuzzlehappened.thumb.png.09129db97af1e5ed45c05bcf0797894d.png

You poor soul, I know the feeling. It's okay, I understand. Take your time.

• Haha 1

So, uh, I've drawn some stuff but haven't bothered to scan them yet. Plus my little brother just spat water on them today... I think they're okay though. 

However, I did finish up this crazy animation of a hound - in my style - breaking out of moonstone on the moon event. I posted it up over at the 'New Reign Animated,' but I decided I felt good enough about it that I wanted it here too.

HoundBreak.gif.14bab661673b73cf0190e3eaf28a2a6a.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 6/25/2018 at 1:17 AM, gallusvarius said:

So, uh, I've drawn some stuff but haven't bothered to scan them yet. Plus my little brother just spat water on them today... I think they're okay though. 

However, I did finish up this crazy animation of a hound - in my style - breaking out of moonstone on the moon event. I posted it up over at the 'New Reign Animated,' but I decided I felt good enough about it that I wanted it here too.

Oh my gosh~ I know I watched you make this and all but holy cow, I love how much effort you put into it ^^ I also for some reason love the teeth, I find teeth horrible to draw, but they look snazzy on this!~

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CoookieWizard said:

Oh my gosh~ I know I watched you make this and all but holy cow, I love how much effort you put into it ^^ I also for some reason love the teeth, I find teeth horrible to draw, but they look snazzy on this!~

Yeah, the teeth were what I was focusing on.

• Like 1

I can just imagine the shouting match that ensued.

"I CREATED YOUR 'MOTHER', RUSTY! SHE'S MINE!"

This reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day: since the survivors have the ability to reverse death, do you think that they value life less? As in, do you think someone finally snapped and killed Maxwell, or Wigfrid got a bit to eager when sparring with someone and ended up impaling them? I guess the policy there would be "You kill them, you use your own flesh to resurrect them." 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

"I CREATED YOUR 'MOTHER', RUSTY! SHE'S MINE!"

Yeah, that'd definitely get WX pretty mad. I don't know if he'd have a verbal reply though, might just start pushing Wilson away/getting physically violent in defense of his 'mother.' 

3 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

This reminds me of something I was thinking of the other day: since the survivors have the ability to reverse death, do you think that they value life less? As in, do you think someone finally snapped and killed Maxwell, or Wigfrid got a bit to eager when sparring with someone and ended up impaling them? I guess the policy there would be "You kill them, you use your own flesh to resurrect them." 

Well, fear and awareness of death seems to be pretty strongly embedded in humans. They appear to have other facets like their mental stability still in tact, so I don't see why they'd loose this aspect either. 
That and, if they ALL die at once, no one is there to revive them anymore, unless they had a meat effigy, but that's still risky. If everyone suddenly perished some way or another but Webber, Wendy, and Wes, and you have hounds coming - There's a good chance they'll be fine if they have a developed camp, but it's still risky. 
I don't think any of the basic characters would up and commit murder, not of their own intention anyway. 

However, the triumphant skins are clearly 'evil' variants of the characters, or characters when under the influence of Them as they sit on the throne. I believe they are a little different than the normal counterpart. The same as William Carter is different than Maxwell. 
Charlie inherited the same 'flame hair' when behaving 'evil,' the flame hair the others have in their triumphant as well, and Charlie has killed. So if I were to have or fathom a character killing one another (We have murder quotes, so?...) I'd want to indicate it would probably have to do with one of these more pesky variants of the characters. 

Basically, I couldn't see normal Wigfrid being that brutal to an innocent person even if fierce, but her been-sitting-on-a-throne-of-darkness-for-years-side might do such a thing. 

22 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, that'd definitely get WX pretty mad. I don't know if he'd have a verbal reply though, might just start pushing Wilson away/getting physically violent in defense of his 'mother.'

Brawl ensues. Who's going to be the mediator there?

25 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I don't think any of the basic characters would up and commit murder, not of their own intention anyway.

That wasn't what I meant to imply, sorry. However, look at WX and Wilson above--is WX going to stop at anything? Maybe. I just meant to say that it's possible that a semi-accidental murder happened at least once.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Brawl ensues. Who's going to be the mediator there?

Brawl... Or slap-fight?

(Sorry this was the only pure example of this thing animated by Klei I could find, the person's voice wouldn't be in there if it were my choice.)

I just meant to say that it's possible that a semi-accidental murder happened at least once.

I see what you're saying. Maybe, if Webber like, cooked a delicious lasagna for everyone, unaware they can't eat the same stuff he can... An innocent mistake of some kind.

hat wasn't what I meant to imply, sorry. However, look at WX and Wilson above--is WX going to stop at anything? Maybe.

I don't think WX would murder - He would stop once Wilson stopped, so if he could get him unconscious, that'd work well enough for him, which seems like a much more likely event than death. 
I mean, he COULD murder, but he'd probably need a better reason than this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ResettePlayer mentioned murder and I already had a 'Part two' in mind, it escalated quickly.   This is just a bunch of pure nonsense by the way, everyone. I'm exaggerating them for humor. 

wxsciencemachine2_by_gallusvarius-dcfqf6

It was a nice excuse to give WX's victorian skin a chance, even if this is just a bunch of doodles. I wish better things didn't take me so long, so that I could fill this thread with things more worth-while than what I do on paper and for comics.Perhaps people will still find them amusing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

(Sorry this was the only pure example of this thing animated by Klei I could find, the person's voice wouldn't be in there if it were my choice.)

Isn't there a gif on the wiki? Lemme check to see if that works.

Spoiler

latest?cb=20150416223503

Best gif

Yeah, yeah, murder is unlikely. Who gets that mad at anyone anyway?

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

fill this thread with things more worth-while than what I do on paper and for comics.Perhaps people will still find them amusing.

There's no need to make this thread precious. Take mine as an example, it's 11 pages long and 75% non-content. We like your jokes, and are glad you're making stuff at all. In this one, I especially enjoy how WX's screaming starts off so distant, and then fills up the whole panel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Yeah, yeah, murder is unlikely. Who gets that mad at anyone anyway?

I dunno, seems that some people in this world do though. 

10 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

There's no need to make this thread precious. Take mine as an example, it's 11 pages long and 75% non-content. We like your jokes, and are glad you're making stuff at all. In this one, I especially enjoy how WX's screaming starts off so distant, and then fills up the whole panel.

Thank you for the encouragement.   Your's still has a lot of content though, I don't think it's that off-topic. Plenty of Lore, and hey, this the 'Art and Lore' thread, so having a bunch of lore in there is great. 
But I don't think I was comparing mine with the statement, more like a 'Could I do better' lament, or - I feel I have better to offer but it takes me so long, that lower-quality stuff gets shot out faster.
I work especially slow because I don't have hours upon hours to be sitting and drawing. That and I go much faster if left to go at a pattern of detail for a long time, but being forced to work in chunks makes it take even longer.

Still, I appreciate the encouragement. I like your stuff too, it actually makes me laugh, for what that's worth.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 2:17 AM, gallusvarius said:

58003789b65b3_Arielshoujoweebie.png.a68c0181ffdf7001704102c4f1e7a9d1.pngOh wow! That's impressive! Congrats on your entry. I saw it here first. Haven't checked the thread yet.

On 6/28/2018 at 1:14 AM, gallusvarius said:

wxandsciencemachine1_by_gallusvarius-dcf

On 6/28/2018 at 11:21 PM, gallusvarius said:

1. wxsciencemachine2_by_gallusvarius-dcfqf6
  2. I wish better things didn't take me so long, so that I could fill this thread with things more worth-while than what I do on paper and for comics.Perhaps people will still find them amusing. 
  1. I'm really impressed with how fast you progressed. The art feels crisper than before. Though if I could suggest something, try doodling the boat two or three times based on reference and see how it looks with practice.
  2. Take all the time you need! The quality you posted shows how much you're improving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

Oh wow! That's impressive! Congrats on your entry. I saw it here first. Haven't checked the thread yet.

It's impressive?... Thanks, that means a lot. I had never thought anyone could see it that way though, I felt it looked so flat and simple compared to what some of the others seem to be entering. However, there being no skill requirement, I still joined. Probably wouldn't have if I thought there was one. 

8 hours ago, minespatch said:
  • I'm really impressed with how fast you progressed. The art feels crisper than before. Though if I could suggest something, try doodling the boat two or three times based on reference and see how it looks with practice.
  • Take all the time you need! The quality you posted shows how much you're improving.

Thanks. I don't know if it's real progression or just more effort for once, though. Maybe both? I don't remember throwing a lot of effort into these, though. 
Well either way, thank you. 
I'll try referencing a boat. I usually don't because cough cough low effort cough  But maybe it would help people understand what's going on in the comic better. 

• Like 1

Here, I did this extra bit over some time. I wanted to try smearing colors around for a rainy-look, kind of a two-part thing. Slightly more art-y than usual for what I do for this game. 

wxinrain1_by_gallusvarius-dcfvo6q.png

I accidentally saved over the layer-file before I finished both halves, so I couldn't go back and edit this one...
Otherwise, I would have wanted to add real shading, shine on those puddles and maybe some misty trees in the back-ground.
WX suffering in the rain. I made the mouth jagged because I felt it fitting to the to the glitchy-ness that water might cause for him.
wxinrain2_by_gallusvarius-dcfvrx6.png
"Greetings, WX-78."
"WHERE DID YOU GET THIS UMBRELLA, MINION?"
"Me and Abigail played with the pigs."
"ARE THEY ALL DESTROYED? IS ANYONE ELSE AROUND?"
"Not a soul other than us."
"...YOU HAVE PROVEN YOURSELF USEFUL, WENDY."

Of course he might have a hard time saying 'Thanks' directly, but maybe indirectly, and would never say it with anything else hanging around.
I started by drawing a white flowy thing that was going to be a traditional Abigail, but deciding that I definitely like 'Realistic' depictions of her better, I decided to turn that white flowy thing into weird extra long hair. Maybe we can pretend that's what Abigail's white silhouette is made of, and the rest of her is just transparent, except maybe visible to Wendy.

Anyway. He's basically saying 'Thank you.' But he's adverse to speaking the exact words. Wendy is pretty comprehensive though, I'm sure she knows that's how he feels, whether he wants her to know or not.

...I'm afraid people are gonna think this is 'Shippy' because she's doing something nice for him though. I guess all I can say in defense is that I don't see them that way, myself. I personally perceive them as good friends/Wendy is like, WX's very few who are 'friends' or are more tolerant of his rude anti-life nature. And that perhaps, when Wilson and Maxwell were paired to build the portal, that these two were also paired, that they might be like siblings. In the way that having a room-mate long enough can seem like siblings too. 

• Like 4

On 6/21/2018 at 4:12 PM, gallusvarius said:

Wes won... With 18 hp left.

This shows that Wes is truely OP ^_^ (although between every other character, he might actually loose :? )

On 6/22/2018 at 12:53 AM, ResettePlayer said:

so he should look more dry and soft

I also have a few examples you can use...

Spoiler

(Spoilered cos not even my art thread ^^; )

The first one is a redraw but it shows to different ways you can draw fur. Ok it's a mane rather than the full body but it still counts:

drawing_comparison__chragon_v2_by_dragon

And this is a more recent pic I did using the second (line/pen stroke technique)

bearded_dragon__glomglom_skin__fully_gro

These are just my methods but you're free to continue using your own style.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:08 PM, gallusvarius said:

I mean, he COULD murder, but he'd probably need a better reason than this.

I'd like to think WX's reason for not killing everyone is "WHO WILL GET ME FOOD AND OIL MY JOINTS IF THEY ARE GONE?" :p

17 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

It's impressive?... Thanks, that means a lot. I had never thought anyone could see it that way though, I felt it looked so flat and simple compared to what some of the others seem to be entering. However, there being no skill requirement, I still joined. Probably wouldn't have if I thought there was one. 

I don't usually compare artist to artist. Everyone should be treated equally and as their own person rather than part of a set. After all not everyone learned the exact same style of art with the exactly same tools.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I don't usually compare artist to artist. Everyone should be treated equally and as their own person rather than part of a set. After all not everyone learned the exact same style of art with the exactly same tools.

Preach.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

This shows that Wes is truely OP ^_^ (although between every other character, he might actually loose :? )

Yes. He would. 
Technically Maxwell is still better at surviving because he has extra help in all sorts of ways, like constantly increasing sanity. 
We just wanted to see who would win - The frail old man with a weak heart but who can still hit as hard as a 30-year-old man, or the flimsy weak mime who hits as hard as a little girl (Wendy) but is just slightly more durable than a frail old man with a weak heart.
The answer was the mime, although scarcely alive in the end. 

6 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

That is a good point.   Thing is, I don't have much experiance with animating - Which again follows just what you said - But it doesn't stop me from being conscious about it...  Like entering a soccer game free to anyone, but having never played soccer before, to the point where you may not even entirely know the rules. There's some form of nervousness about that. 
Though I see other artists as people, it's just myself that gets judged, though really, art is in some ways subject to opinion. Your point is very valid, this isn't an argument against it, just me rambling. 
Me and my sister Cookie found this out quite some time ago. Her idea of 'Hey that art is super cool' is very different than mine. I always appreciated realistic pieces more, and when she came to me for advice, it was advice on how to make it more realistic... Which apparently, was not what she wanted. She focuses on more style or making something visually appealing and dropping realism in favor for things that look good. I'd sooner drop what looks good in favor for what's realistic, and try to appreciate how things naturally are.

Though, for Don't Starve, and my doodles here, realism takes too long. I'm finding the faster I can work the more I can make, even if it's less detailed, and that style is necessary for this. It's good for trying to keep up inspiration or continuous stream of art...  But when I do try to do stylized things, there are still quite different than Cookie's. 

The artists we like and 'watch' are usually extremely different. 

In the end, though, this only means what I tried to say before - In some ways at least, art is subject to opinion. Saying one piece is better than another is really and genuinely opinion. As me and my sister likewise have alternating opinions in almost that very way.

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 1

Thing is, I don't have much experience with animating - Which again follows just what you said - But it doesn't stop me from being conscious about it

Same here. I want to be an animator and bring my characters to life but I haven't even opened Blender yet. I was hoping to take 3D animation classes to learn from an expert to get the basics down. Although school courses usually end up giving you unrelated assignments that have nothing to do with the main subject (I swear to god if I have to write some essay for 3D animation, I'mma flip a table).

*Ahem* but back to what I was saying... animating things would be pretty cool but if I wanted to make a game, coding is a completely different thing.

it's just myself that gets judged

We are our own worst critiques.

She focuses on more style or making something visually appealing and dropping realism in favor for things that look good.

Well my style is more cute and cartoony. It really depends what type of person you are or what you find easiest/most fun ^_^

Though, for Don't Starve, and my doodles here, realism takes too long.

You should still do it. I'd love to see your take on a more realistic version of the characters 0u0 I can wait. Quality takes time after all ;)

• Thanks 1

I'll respond to you soon, Dragon. Just in a hurry, me and my sister completed the Wendy cosplay. She didn't want to put it on her own forum, so it will only be featured here. Images given below are ones she selected. 

20180702_003623_by_gallusvarius-dcg12lo.

This wig was bad and cheaply made, but I fear it was all we had available. How many people have hair like Wendy, after all?
The flower clip is home-made by me. We found all the other pieces here and there.
The person in the costume is my sister, though I organized the costume into existence. 
This is my sister's room. That army of stuffed animals on the shelf over there belongs to her. I do not take responsibility for the immense ocean of fluffy cute abominations mounted up on that shelf there.

20180702_003747_by_gallusvarius-dcg12l7.

Another picture, trying to show the thickness of the ponytails we tried to achieve. We did our best.

20180702_004338_by_gallusvarius-dcg12hr.

Abigail's flower in-hand. I wish we could have found a better skirt now that I look at these. I'll grab a better one if we come across a better one.
20180702_004038_by_gallusvarius-dcg12je.
This was a 'Wow we finally finished it!' initial photo-ing so our options for backgrounds as you can see, have been limited mostly to armies of stuffed animals. However, we went outside into the back yard, at night, to try and get something that seemed more atmospheric or fitting. It didn't work. It still looks neat though. 
20180702_003440_by_gallusvarius-dcg14db.

Okay, this is the last of it. My sister didn't want a picture of her pants in the photo, and I got them in it by accident because I'm no professional photographer... Anyway, she helped me blot them out of the picture and we wrote pants on it. 

She watched me type all this too. Just so everyone knows it's entirely with her consent that these images are here.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I swear to god if I have to write some essay for 3D animation, I'mma flip a table

I hope it's not too late to say this, but you'd probably have better luck with an online course. It's kind of expensive, but Animation Mentor is still cheaper than college. http://www.animationmentor.com/ There's probably more out there.

7 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

However, we went outside into the back yard, at night, to try and get something that seemed more atmospheric or fitting. It didn't work. It still looks neat though.

Well, I do think that the outdoors shot is a little more atmospheric. Not quite as good as a graveyard, but not everyone has one of those readily available.

I think the cosplay is pretty good. The shirt could use an iron, but everything's accurate, and you even got Abigail's flower in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

*Ahem* but back to what I was saying... animating things would be pretty cool but if I wanted to make a game, coding is a completely different thing.

Ah. I've dabbled in animation and coding both, just not as much as I have drawing and writing. I have more coding practice, I've actually modded Don't Starve a little, in addition to other 3-D games (Not minecraft though.) but modifying is not the same as designing. 
I  would need a development background or development program to make a game. Which I don't have. There is one on the browser, Scratch, but it's a translated language. I still collaborated with my sister and made a cute little betta fish game in it, but they don't do anything else other than swim around. 
I can animate enough to achieve the modding things and coding things I try to do. 
Though, if I ever want to make a video game some day, I will need much more practice. However, I've had no classes for anything at all that I do - Drawing, writing, coding, animating, and other random stuff.  I do think classes can help though.  Just to say that nothing is stopping you from dabbling in it all right now.

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

You should still do it. I'd love to see your take on a more realistic version of the characters 0u0 I can wait.

I've got one going for a depth-worm. I'd be more likely to do the animals realistically, because I still don't understand human skin and clothing well enough.... But I could do Webber, probably. 
After I do this depth worm, I'm thinking of doing a volt-goat. And then maybe a bearger, all of these digital. I could try doing Webber on paper to make him happen faster so you don't have to wait 10-thousand-years, if I work on it while waiting in doctor offices and stuff. 

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, I do think that the outdoors shot is a little more atmospheric. Not quite as good as a graveyard, but not everyone has one of those readily available.

I think the cosplay is pretty good. The shirt could use an iron, but everything's accurate, and you even got Abigail's flower in there.

Thank you.   I'm hoping to get a better scene to take her to eventually, preferably with some 'Don't Starve Food' of some kind. We still have some of the ice cream in the freezer, maybe that if nothing else. Hopefully I'll have something else cooked before we plan to find a nice setting. 

Unfortunately, the grave yards here probably wouldn't be very spooky, especially with how happy and tropical the area is overall. However, I think I know a few wild-looking spots that, if we did it right at sun-set, might be just spooky enough and look a little more like the world Wendy belongs to. 

The shirt's wrinkles, yes... My sister mentioned that too. I told her they don't have irons in the wilderness. Said the same thing while we were trying to brush the wig. 'It can be a little tangly, not like wilderness is gentle on hair.'

There was no time for an iron before these pictures, but undoubtedly we want to get more in the future, better scenes most like, and then we will have option for an iron. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

The shirt's wrinkles, yes... My sister mentioned that too. I told her they don't have irons in the wilderness. Said the same thing while we were trying to brush the wig. 'It can be a little tangly, not like wilderness is gentle on hair.'

It's more of a presentation thing than anything. If you really want a wilderness look, your sister would have to roll around in some dirt.

• Haha 1