Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

Adding a little more and then, back to being a slowpoke about art.

mime_paddle_by_gallusvarius-dcc8pzs.png

This was an idea from quite a while ago. I illustrated it on paper but in a ridiculously small traveling notepad, so each frame was close to an inch... Drawing at such absurdly small scales is no specialty of mine.  While not horrific, the traditional one was far from legible, so I re-did it in digital. 

It was inspired with Wes and his invisible paddle in SW.  Wigfrid doesn't get it.  I think he broke her understanding of the physical laws. 

tigersharkstudy_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zn2.

Here, with no reference, I was trying to plan out the Tiger Shark... How it might swim or move about in a slightly more anatomically correct fashion. Y'know, with joints and stuff. 

With no reference, I happened to get the tail wrong, among other things. Darn. I'll have to draw another later.

I was thinking, I could have it tuck back it's limbs as it swam, like a seal or otter.  The only think confusing me is how I know that fish and reptiles and most things are most comfortable moving with side-to-side motions (This is how fish swim and how snakes slither) but mammals are most comfortable with up-and-down or curl-and-uncurl. Like how a cat arches it's back, or how dogs and the like arch their backs as they run - How dolphins swim by beating the tail up and down, that also happens to be the same fashion of locomotive for otters and seals when they swim... 

But maybe the tiger shark has a cartilage skeleton like earthly sharks do? Then it would be ultra-flexible in practically every way, and direction of spine movement would not longer be a problem. It would cut out how adapted for land it might be, though... Cartilage can't bear the weight of gravity on the muscles as easily, that's why we land creatures have calcium bones instead. 

voltgoat_study_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zla.p

I also started doing the same for a Volt-goat. The lowest one is charged. I want to draw some detailed illustrations for the animals of this game, I'm really starting to become more fond of some of them...

Volt-goats have slowly been growing on me. They're rather formidable when charged, if you don't have the proper gear. A goat in the moment of being charged could be a pretty neat scene to illustrate.
The bunnymen are also something I like a lot... They're interesting, a race that lives underground as the ancient peoples before them once did. I wonder if they'll ever advance beyond what technology they're at? I know the wild pigs in SW are able to say the most words in a single sentence, which is pretty accurate since in reality wild pigs, and pigs in general, are quite intelligent animals. But they don't form very large groups and are much more isolated, which would cut down on their chances of advancement.   The rabbits however, are closer to ancient sources of energy, evil as it may be, form larger groups, and even display some idea of a religion - Meat is 'Unclean,' any caught with it or supposed eaters of it are to be killed.    None of them show particularly high displays of advancement obviously, except maybe the unique pigs in Hamlet, though. 

Some of my favorite creatures are the Voltgoats, the bunnymen, the wild boars, the depth worms, and probably a majority of the creatures found in SW. The game has pretty cute spiders too, even if they're out to kill (Most) of us. 

• Like 3

The comic is pretty amusing. Looks like you're getting better as drawing Wigfrid and Wes :)

The tiger shark is also interesting. I know I couldn't do as well from memory.

I quite like the voltgoat illustrations. Kinda makes me with they were more animated in-game then just the bouncing around (then again, I don't spend a lot of time with voltgoats myself).

• Thanks 1

I made some silly ideas for skins for Lucy if Woodie were to ever help her with that, not that it would ever be a thing. The idea came from a pleasant discussion with ResettePlayer (I think that's how I spell it.) where I mentioned, "Hey, why doesn't Lucy ever get skins?"

I did these quickly, merely wishing to scribble down an idea before it left my mind. 

LucySkins.thumb.png.33bb9b0040c28fd0cc9bf8da671ec400.png

Here we have Forge, Shadow and Survival Lucy. 

I wanted to make the shadow etchings seem cryptic but I was too sloppy with this to really do a good job of it. 

On 5/24/2018 at 10:57 PM, minespatch said:

Wes can be a show-off, huh?

Apparently yes, with his mime-skills anyway. He has reason to be proud of those, at least, right? XD

On 5/24/2018 at 4:24 PM, DragonMage156 said:

I quite like the voltgoat illustrations. Kinda makes me with they were more animated in-game then just the bouncing around (then again, I don't spend a lot of time with voltgoats myself).

One of the ones where it's rearing up, that's how they attack in-game. They also bleat at characters if you stand in their way of a desired destination, it seems. 

• Thanks 1

Ahh, Lucy. I suppose my only critique here is that the survival skin doesn't look as worn and beat up as the rest of the characters do. Woodie cares about Lucy very much, but in going through the amount of crap that they do, he can't protect her from wear, y'know? Some of the red paint should be chipped/worn, maybe a few notches in the head, possibly some bloodstains on the wooden handle. They've been living in hell for a while now.

In regards to why Lucy and Abigail don't get skins, I think it's quite possible that they will in the future. All sorts of random items and stuff do, so it's not too broad a stretch of the imagination. Just because we haven't gotten any yet, it does not mean we won't get any in time. Maybe the reason is that the items are character-specific, and not every character has a unique item. Who knows. Like you, I'm pretty pleased with the content we do have, so it's not really worth complaining about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

Ahh, Lucy. I suppose my only critique here is that the survival skin doesn't look as worn and beat up as the rest of the characters do. Woodie cares about Lucy very much, but in going through the amount of crap that they do, he can't protect her from wear, y'know? Some of the red paint should be chipped/worn, maybe a few notches in the head, possibly some bloodstains on the wooden handle. They've been living in hell for a while now.

I agree. I sat there looking at my survival Lucy thinking, 'I should make it better.' And then I didn't. (I could probably still pull it up and work on it, but Forge Lucy also needs help, too un-detailed.)  I wasn't sure if I wanted to add blood on any of them because I've never actually seen blood in the game (Decapitated pig heads and merm heads, horrific monsters.... But no blood... Wait, except in the pouches of mosquitoes.) and wasn't sure if I should add blood when I've never seen any.
A chip in the blade or paint would have been perfect. I tried to make it look like the handle had been broken but the smears ended up hiding that petty attempt anyway. 

7 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

It's the same problem with Abigail. But I'm not complaining since Klei have already given us so much. Maybe it was too much work for them?

2 hours ago, ResettePlayer said:

In regards to why Lucy and Abigail don't get skins, I think it's quite possible that they will in the future. All sorts of random items and stuff do, so it's not too broad a stretch of the imagination. Just because we haven't gotten any yet, it does not mean we won't get any in time. Maybe the reason is that the items are character-specific, and not every character has a unique item. Who knows. Like you, I'm pretty pleased with the content we do have, so it's not really worth complaining about.

Yeah, I don't feel like complaining either, they've already given us so many wonderful things. And, Wigfrid's spear and helm, Willow's lighter, Maxwell's Codex Umbra, none of these change per skins, so they'd have to do changes for those as well as for Lucy and Abi, I think.
There was a pretty awesome concept for a 'samurai wigfrid' though, where she held a sword instead... Like, a katana. If there were a reskin for her helm and spear (Like one where you could choose between the skins before crafting, such as one does for the tragic torch) to match that I'd probably be pretty happy and at least use the sword most of the time to feel better about the animation characters use to attack with. There's probably a mod for it somewhere but I don't like getting too attached to mods, generally speaking.    
...I'm pretty attached to the season indicator, though... Once a world has gone on long enough I can't count the days to tell the next season as much anymore, and then I find this one rather useful. I could probably survive without it, but knowing how long I have left to enter the caves or to grow a certain crop before winter rolls in is much more pleasant than being surprised.  At least there is still some slow natural indicators, like birch trees loose leaves a little before winter, ect, so like I said, I could probably live without it. 

• Like 2

Just now, ResettePlayer said:

Good point about the blood. Consistency is important. Maybe. as an alternative, you could have a fairly significant chunk out of the handle--not so much that it's unusable, but enough that Lucy's general shape is changed a little.

Yeah. Something with the handle for sure. 

I had three other templates I was gonna do for her - Verdant Lucy could be made of 'living wood,' have a few twigs with live leaves on them here and there... I was gonna do Guest of Honor too but I didn't have her planned out. The other person I mentioned did and made the non-red part of the axeblade gold, which seemed like an excellent idea.
Her guest of honor would probably be polished wood handle and a golden axeblade rim, possibly. 

• Like 2

It's late over here and I should be a sleep, but I managed to pull this silly thing together some time ago. 

supersecrettoefungus_by_gallusvarius-dcd

He can't tell or speak of the secrets given to him, by fact of his nature... Not even this one... 

Don't worry, I'm sure Wickerbottom will find and treat Wolfgang's severe athlete's foot at some point, but until then...
Wes's mind remains plagued with dark secrets of which he can never tell a single soul. >_>

The dark secrets... That reside.... In Wolfgang's Boots...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Wes is the group therapist after Wickerbottom.

Heh. Well, in my interpretation, Wicker may still be heavier on the therapist, since Wes can't exactly give any imput. Can only really listen.  They go to him because secrets will never escape him, practically whether he likes it or not. In this case, something horrible is stuck with him. The horror... Under Wolfgang's Boot. 

If they don't want imput on something, they'll go to Wes.   For example, Wolfgang would have his toe forcefully cleansed if he went to Wicker, she wouldn't allow that to fester any longer, but Wes can only listen and see. 

Wigfrid probably doesn't go to him with secrets because I'm not sure she's the sort to keep many, if any. Probably her past, who she was before acting, would be one, but I don't think she's willing to share that one. Maybe someday though. It doesn't look like she'd be the sort to have an easy time keeping secrets or lying. Too loud and forward... 
WX-78 wouldn't really keep any secrets anyway, unless he was secretly constructing a super-ultra-death-ray somewhere outside camp. Might try to show off it's work-in-progress to Wes. It'd probably just be a log tied to a stone though. 
And Wes would be the one he'd show because Wes can't tell anyone about it, of course. 

Wendy is too silent on her's to go tell anyone anything, I perceive. She probably talks with Abigail and no one else for those matters. So I don't fathom all of them would go to him, long-story short. Just a handful. 
Maxwell would probably be too indigent for the most part, as an example. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, DragonMage156 said:

Do you think Wicker or Webber has their secrets?

Things slip through my fingers here, sorry for the late reply.

Probably for both. Wicker maybe less secrets that are very intense. I don't see her as being the sort to have serious secrets or to hide anything relevant to the present. 

And here's for more art as well.
Is there some better way to find my own thread than to dive into the depths of the forums for it?... 

walanieatswarlyingredients_by_gallusvari

My sisters have the credit for this idea. I might illustrate the 'sequel' we also had in mind someday. 
Basically, Walani eats whatever she finds in the fridge, where as Warly might have other plans for any given doodad hanging around in there... 

When I mention 'sibling relationships' for characters, I'd say I fathom it goes for these two as well. I imagine they lived together (For efficiency/better survival) some time before encountering any others, and that they didn't always get along during that time, usually in matters like the one above. Once introduced to any larger group, they would come with a strong background and familiarity with each other. But unlike Wendy and WX who work together better and get along pretty well, these probably had a little more on the side of petty 'sibling rivalry' going for them. 

Though as said before, these are only my own interpretations of them. I know a lot of people go into 'shipping,' there may be room for romance in interpretations for sure, but I feel like romance isn't the only thing. Maybe some of them should have 'sibling,' and 'Just really close friends' too, in addition to that.  And 'Parent-child,' or maybe that'd be more like 'Uncle/aunt-Niece/nephew' because that's a little more similar maybe. Could Woodlegs fit into that category as an 'Uncle' to some younger character, perhaps? This one is just me considering at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I know a lot of people go into 'shipping,' there may be room for romance in interpretations for sure, but I feel like romance isn't the only thing. Maybe some of them should have 'sibling,' and 'Just really close friends' too, in addition to that.  And 'Parent-child,' or maybe that'd be more like 'Uncle/aunt-Niece/nephew' because that's a little more similar maybe. Could Woodlegs fit into that category as an 'Uncle' to some younger character, perhaps? This one is just me considering at this point.

Are... are you me?

I find that pretty much no two DS characters have personalities that are relationship-compatible, at least in a romantic sense. On the other hand, I sit here scribbling in my sketchbook thinking "Yes! Power of friendship!" or "Who would make a decent father figure for Webber in these dark times?" or "Perhaps Willow is kind of big-sisterly to the younger ones". I can make the wilderness survivors a big dysfunctional family if I want, dammit.

One project on my to-do list is "Roommates", and let me tell you, it's good fun to plan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, ResettePlayer said:

I find that pretty much no two DS characters have personalities that are relationship-compatible, at least in a romantic sense.

Perhaps, but I suspect that would depend on one's view of romance and how it works. 

People can like a lot of different things, and there's no way to make sure humans don't develop 'crushes.' In fact it's usually inevitable that some will be developed, whether the person ever admits their feelings or not. 
Whether a relationship will work out if one of romantic nature ever even blossomed is reliant on personality compatibility, and even more importantly, their willingness to work things out and to communicate/cooperate. These factors are important for any relationship, romantic or not, as all relationships can see some sort of problem somewhere. 
It seems highly unlikely that in all of the cast, not a single romantic crush would ever be developed, from a perspective of realism. That in a group of people this size there would be none of that.
However we have some things for sure - I'm pretty sure Lucy and Woodie are romantically associated, or once were before their curse. Maxwell and Charlie is another obvious one, but that might be a stronger 'Once was, is no more.' So Klei does have some going on in specific lore-related examples. 
But it's always safe to pretend you don't know who's with who and never go into that as an artist or a writer or whatever one does for the game, there's no shame in that. There are those who do that, probably to please the different perspectives of a variety of viewers. 

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

I see this more as Warly's ego trying to be in control of the situation

Huh, I didn't think of it that way. Probably a little of both. I'd probably be pretty upset if I got the ingredients for a specific recipe I wanted to make and someone ate one of the ingredients. Essentially rendering the rest of my ingredients sad and pointless but to also be eaten or made into a split-second replacement recipe. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

It seems highly unlikely that in all of the cast, not a single romantic crush would ever be developed, from a perspective of realism. That in a group of people this size there would be none of that.

Well, yes, that's easy to see. Maybe I'm some sort of close-minded schlub, but I have a hard time imagining every crush being reciprocated. Like, for discussion's sake, let's say that Willow greatly admires Wilson's dedication to survival, invention of the telltale heart, confidence, whatever. What could Wilson possibly see in Willow? She's a safety hazard, aggressive, a bit childish, and way too fixated on fire.

My own opinions and biases are probably clouding my judgement here, but you see what I mean, right? There's also some characters which are most likely exempt from romantic possibilities: WX-78, Webber, and I think Wendy is a minor too. There's some communication issues with Wes, Wolfgang, and Wigfrid's whole actor thing probably causes issues as well. Maxwell and Wickerbottom are also far older than the rest of the cast, which doesn't erase possibility entirely, but probably reduces it.

You're right, of course. I'm just feebly trying to defend myself here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ResettePlayer said:

Well, yes, that's easy to see. Maybe I'm some sort of close-minded schlub, but I have a hard time imagining every crush being reciprocated. Like, for discussion's sake, let's say that Willow greatly admires Wilson's dedication to survival, invention of the telltale heart, confidence, whatever. What could Wilson possibly see in Willow? She's a safety hazard, aggressive, a bit childish, and way too fixated on fire.

My own opinions and biases are probably clouding my judgement here, but you see what I mean, right? There's also some characters which are most likely exempt from romantic possibilities: WX-78, Webber, and I think Wendy is a minor too. There's some communication issues with Wes, Wolfgang, and Wigfrid's whole actor thing probably causes issues as well. Maxwell and Wickerbottom are also far older than the rest of the cast, which doesn't erase possibility entirely, but probably reduces it.

You're right, of course. I'm just feebly trying to defend myself here.

Oh... Sorry to make you feel defensive, that was never my intention!
I do see your point and I know what you're talking about, very well. Some actually embrace those flaws for the depiction of their characters sometimes - An interpretation where Willow is childishly teasing Wilson and pulling pranks on him because deep down inside she likes him, meanwhile he's annoyed because she's interrupting his work. 
But this would have to depend on interpretation of characters too. Some see Wilson as the irresponsible one instead and wonder what Willow would see in him. (Did he really invent anything we're sure of?) Or that just both are irresponsible. 
I agree WX-78 doesn't really have a place for romance, because he's a robot. Some claim again that it's interpretation (Their backstories are for our interpretation otherwise of the backstories given, according to Klei, I think?), where some ideas follow that WX-78 was once human... Personally I just keep him as a basic, non-romantic robot, and I definitely agree with you on the matter of him. Though Klei did once draw a 'Human-ified WX' for us, so I can't shoot down the ideas of others either.
I also agree with you concerning Wicker.
Webber is still a boy in there - While he could never physically be with anyone because of his conditions, (especially because he's so young right now so even if he was human he still wouldn't,) 'Puppy love' could still be developed by a young boy at mind. I've heard that term used to describe the sort of 'crush' boys develop when they're younger and more innocent of mind.  But that's my interpretation, someone else might fathom that there's more spider in his mind too. Or even that, since unlocking him involves him jumping in and out of a grave, perhaps he's some form of 'undead.' 

I won't go through them all but my point basically is, it's for interpretation. And there is no shame in you having your own interpretation of them either.  I would agree that they're definitely focused on STAYING ALIVE and probably shouldn't be focused on with these aspects even if present. If your interpretation follows that none are romantically compatible, that's valid. Not like it's impossible, after all. 

If you dig around on my thread you'll find more giant tangents like this one, it feels a little silly. But I've got tangents on plenty of other things hanging around here too... I guess this is just what my thread is going to look like, inevitably, because of my own talkativeness. I guess I don't mind.

Hey, if you face the same problem, you can go back and edit comments and put them in 'spoilers,' to condense bodies of text and make the page less intimidating. I can go and do that for past conversations on your thread as well, and take responsibility for my own habit, if you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ResettePlayer said:

Oh, of course it's all up to interpretation. That's probably why Klei hasn't done a whole lot on the matter. Many fans have a lot of fun with their own interpretations, and granting them that "freedom" is a smart move.

Definitely. I sure appreciate the freedom, on that note. I normally never warm up to other characters than my own... Or really do any 'fan-art,' I've almost always focused on my own characters for so long, until I really got into DS. I kinda adopted the characters as my own a little...  But it's fun because, even if we all have our own interpretations, they're all still 'the same character,' allowing for a lot of discussion and interest at the least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gallusvarius said:

Definitely. I sure appreciate the freedom, on that note. I normally never warm up to other characters than my own... Or really do any 'fan-art,' I've almost always focused on my own characters for so long, until I really got into DS. I kinda adopted the characters as my own a little...  But it's fun because, even if we all have our own interpretations, they're all still 'the same character,' allowing for a lot of discussion and interest at the least. 

They're kinda tropey and shallow, but lovable. And fun to draw.

• Like 1