Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

On 5/13/2018 at 10:10 PM, minespatch said:

I wish there was a "wow" react. This is quite the improvement from the other pieces you've done so far. The colors are well chosen and I love the shading. Which paint program did you use?

Odd. I feel like it's nothing compared to the stuff I do seriously.
It may be off-topic, but for sake of comparison, maybe I should link some here. 
In this dropdown.

Spoiler

the_sky_is_crying_oil_by_gallusvarius-dc

Here's one of my works. 
That's no particular species though. Just some weird beast-thing with a mask.

voiceless_by_gallusvarius-daugpo4.png

The village is in no danger, just your everyday enormous skeleton taking a walk. 

You can find more of this on my deviantart, but to be honest, I have yet to do my best for a DS illustration. I just have a bunch of doodles for the game.   I believe these will be the only of the off-topic things displayed and, I may go back and remove them later. 

I made these with GIMP 2.8.  A low-grade digital program used for photo-manipulation. I use it because it lets me export to many file types and modify games with ease, though.
And I drew those with my mouse, too.

Getting used to the wacom tablet. We'll see how it works and how it affects my illustrations. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

These are really detailed! You might want to make a art thread in off topic for pieces like these.

That's what my DA is for. I suppose if people don't want to bother looking there, perhaps I would.

I mentioned to you longer ago I was working on a depth worm. I still am. It's going to be like one of these, so people will also have the option to see that.

But I can't express how much what I do for DS is just my spare-time scribbles. Really, it is. The cosplays and such aren't, but the drawings are.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2018 at 6:31 AM, gallusvarius said:

That big black thing was supposed to be a crab-hole but it clearly doesn't look like one and I didn't want to go back and fix it.

Well maybe next time you can try some other techniques like drawing a crater or indented hole. I tried drawing some ideas in Paint:

hole.png.c79eae4b2ab9d2a8139b54da199b9f02.png

Not the best but I hope it helps. Drawing simple circles work too though so dw ^_^

They didn't pair two female characters together on any card. 

But they may have paired two males if we consider Maxwell's shadow minions and WX as such.

He's never had someone his age to be friends with before, but is too afraid to approach at first, worried his monstrous appearance might disturb her.

Aw that's adorable ^_^

On 5/14/2018 at 6:47 AM, gallusvarius said:

The perspective was a new thing for me too, so all sorts of things could be off here.

I didn't notice the proportions until I took a good look at the image. It's still good for your first time though ^_^

Edit: Woops, missed the new page ^^;

Edited by DragonMage156
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

But they may have paired two males if we consider Maxwell's shadow minions and WX as such.

Agreed. I count Wx-78 as such, but I don't think he's pair romantically...
They would have to pair a male with a male.
There's no other way because there aren't enough female characters to have every female with a male. Regardless of any romantic intentions, they'd have to pair a male with a male somewhere.

But while I could see Klei hinting at romance between Wilson and Willow (They walk together on the screen of DST these days, look at each other in Forge trailer, ect.) who were paired together as 'Matches and Theories.' I don't think Woodie and Wx-78 are supposed to be as such, for an example. It seem pretty clearly implied, for that much, that Woodie is, if with anyone at all, associated with Lucy, who won't even let you pick up another Lucy if you have two people playing Woodie.   Wx-78 I'd consider 'Male,' for personality and for ease (It's easier to call someone he or she, it's embedded in our grammar. ) but far from any position of having a romantic association. 
They had to pair males with males any way they went, unless they made more female characters (Which they did, added Winona) and then re-did the cards to pair her with someone... But they could have chosen to pair two females on the cards as well, and just had more male-on-male pairs as well, but instead opted for every female paired with a male. 
The meaning of this is for our interpretation. I don't think Klei would want, or that it would even be realistic - For all to have romantic associations. Wicker and Wolfgang are paired on the cards, but I don't think it's romantic. 

Well maybe next time you can try some other techniques like drawing a crater or indented hole. I tried drawing some ideas in Paint:

hole.png.c79eae4b2ab9d2a8139b54da199b9f02.png

I was in church while drawing it and would have otherwise had references... ^^' Thanks for the attempts, top one looks best. Though, I've seen real crab holes before and could have easily gone back and referenced the in-game crab dens and such, to be honest...  I just had my main focus on Warly, I think, and was less interested in developing the back-ground beyond some scribbles. 

Aw that's adorable ^_^

Glad someone else likes me and my sisters' silly ideas. 

I didn't notice the proportions until I took a good like at the image. It's still good for your first time though ^_^

Yeah, I've never really been able to get perspectives like that down. I don't think I know how to draw the shapes for the body/imagine them 3-D like I need to. Everything it flat in my brain. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

But while I could see Klei hinting at romance between Wilson and Willow (They walk together on the screen of DST these days, look at each other in Forge trailer, ect.) who were paired together as 'Matches and Theories.'

It's really how you look at them. A lot of people joke about how this ship is canon due to all the official art Klei have of Willow and Wilson but it's really how you interpret it. They just happen to be the two first characters in the game/character select screen.

They actually confirmed their age to be about 10 years apart (Wilson in mid 30s and Willow in mid 20s) and that may put off some people who take age into consideration. But every shipper either adjusts their age or doesn't mind/care :p (kinda went on a tangent there ^^; but I could talk about this all day XD )

Wx-78 I'd consider 'Male,' for personality and for ease

Technically speaking he's a 'they' (robot) but everyone refers to him as 'he' anyway cos it's easier as you said.

I was in church while drawing it and would have otherwise had references... ^^' Thanks for the attempts, top one looks best.

There's many ways to draw a hole >u< I mean it could be a crater with a rounded top...

Spoiler

...which is actually what they look like

latest?cb=20151217014718

I looked it up ^^;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

It's really how you look at them. A lot of people joke about how this ship is canon due to all the official art Klei have of Willow and Wilson but it's really how you interpret it. They just happen to be the two first characters in the game/character select screen.

True, they could be siblings/cousins for all I know.
I would agree is entirely how we interpret it.
There are marriages I know even within my own family with 10-year age differences though, so it's not madness. 
I would never say a romantic association is 'agreed to' by Klei, or that they would openly claim any to be official. But they have hints and pairings and character quotes regarding each other that clearly show some kind of friendship between different characters, whether that relationship be romantic or merely friendly. 

kinda went on a tangent there ^^; but I could talk about this all day XD )

I went on even more of one, and so could I. No worries. 
I worry. Maybe I'll do it after you've read it all, but maybe, since this is an ART thread, I should go back and hide my rambles so people don't have to scroll so much. 
A giant ramble can be found inside this spoiler. 

Spoiler

For me, I like 'evidence' for things, I'd say. Like, I take Wigfrid as being small because of having a smaller hunger rate, and we all know Wolfgang is supposed to be big and he eats more/has more max hunger.  While hunger isn't a surefire way to tell anything (Surely there must be size difference between Wilson, Wendy, Wicker, Willow, and all the others with normal hunger rate?) It's the closest thing I have to any kind of indicator, so if I'm going to assume anything, I like to try and decide from evidences found.
(For example, Wes, like Wolfgang, eats more than the other characters, despite having a smaller hunger limit. To be fed each day he needs about 4 large meats, where as normal characters need 3.   4 large meats is a whole beefalo a day, which is a little crazy, but 3/4 of a beefalo a day is crazy too. Either way, I take him as being taller for this, or to say it's where my interpretation for him comes from. For me, drain matters more than limit, but if there is no difference in drain than I take limit. And if you have two characters who seem mostly the same (Ex:Wilson and Wicker) in hunger, I assume there must not be very drastic difference.   There's also always excuses - For example, Webber has to feed a spider AND himself, perhaps? Does this mean he's smaller than what I would have otherwise determined?)

That being said, I would find it respectable if someone said, 'I don't think these people have romance going on.' I could agree, they seem to have a lot more on their minds and trying to stay alive and all, so anything physical or time put into relationship may be questionable. However, it can't stop emotions from appearing for each other, whether said emotions are admitted or not. It's still respectable if someone thinks a certain character doesn't develop such feelings,  but if I were to assume how they would develop feelings - I'd look for 'evidence.' Webber and Wendy, aside of being paired on the cards I mentioned, have a lot of quotes regarding each other, and it's the same story for Willow and Wilson. I don't exactly think about Willow and Wilson a whole lot or really draw them that much, but if asked, I would predict, Willow and Wilson being romantically associated is more likely and more hinted at than Wilson and someone else. It's not saying they are for-sure together, maybe Wilson isn't with anyone at all, and that could make sense too. But it's definitely for interpretation, and that's part of why these characters are so enjoyed by so many people.

I myself am in favor with the idea of different dimensions, supposedly according to lore Charlie connected many with the florid postern. I would be willing to say my interpretation of the characters are, in, say, a 'different universe' to that of others. Then we can have fun joking about how said different interpretations might respond to each other, and no one has to feel any competition or rivalry over disagreements, perhaps? I don't mind people having other ideas to my interpretations. I understand mine are very different to some. They may have reasons the same as I do, too, for all I know.
I do like challenging reasons against reasons (AKA, debate.), but it's not to say I want to eliminate other interpretations. Game mechanics aren't NECESSARILY supposed to be solid evidence for anything, it's just the only indicators I know of, after all. 

Technically speaking he's a 'they' (robot) but everyone refers to him as 'he' anyway cos it's easier as you said.

Yeah, technically speaking 'They.' A non-throned WX-78 refers to a throned Wx-78 as 'WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU, BROTHER,' (That being his official quote, I believe?) which is why I infer male instead of anything else. But yeah, only 'he' because that's easier when it boils down to it.
Another ramble on my opinions shoved into a spoiler.

Spoiler

Some seem to pair Wx-78 'romantically' with Walani or other characters. I wouldn't call any association with him 'romantic,' per-say, but he does look like he needs a friend, or at least someone who annoys him all the time, as would be what he would call it. It might be amusing to let him develop a close friendship, but that's not really the same. Nor verified. So it'd only be for amusement, or some form of story-line purpose.
(For example of purely non-verified and only-story-line purpose, In my interpretation, Wx-78 and Wendy actually meet some time before the rest of the group finds them, and live together. At first, for the sake of ease and efficiency, as it was easier to work together. Having lived together gives their interactions a sort of sibling-feel in my interpretation. So sometimes 'sibling rivalry,' that is, disagreements of sorts, but he talks less about destroying her and the two work together pretty well... Me and my sister have some funny little doodles about them.  Like his formal skin - We fathomed Wendy drew that mustache on him and told him he looked 'Superior.' Afterwards, he probably went around claiming it to everyone with them stifling their snickers. )

They did a pretty good job of depicting crab-holes unlike my half-hearted attempts, yeah. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 1

Aside of my giant blocks of text... 

anotherscan_by_gallusvarius-dcbn770.png

A new scanning method. Not sure if I like it or not but I have to put up with it now. 
This was done around 30 minutes while waiting for pies to finish baking. I had prepared 8 pies, 5 cherry and 3 raspberry, made a huge mess and exhausted myself cleaning it all and fixing it all, and in the end as the last four pies were baking, I did this while finally having a small break. 

Walani appears to be insulting him, uh, at least indirectly. If you can't read the dialog because my handwriting is too horrible. I'll write it here. 

"You seem to be the sort who's single..."
"No I'm not, I have someone."
"WHAT?!"
"She's right here. Cooking is my love."

Here we have another low-quality scribble, done under an hour. 
Sorry but, as far as drawings go, I don't really try on all of these. At least there should be an identifiable difference between me trying and me not trying. (The shadow skins have, so far, been real attempts. These however, are not.) I already know they're full of anatomical flaws and such, but I guess I don't feel like perfection is their goal. My sisters were the ones who encouraged me to even show these, as otherwise I was going to keep them to myself because of their low quality. 

potluck_by_gallusvarius-dcbn81d.png

The inspiration for this is difficult to explain. The chances any of this is legible are also very low. There's notes to the side describing future revision - I may move some of these to digital art soon, or basically re-do them, for clarity and improved quality, and maybe better execution. But only if the idea is worth it... I get the feeling that these might not be. 

To describe. There is a pot luck - A soup or stew, everyone adds their own unique ingredient to the soup. An example is Wigfrid adding meat. (Which would be obvious.) WX-78 reluctantly decides he wants to add as well, but I feel his motives should be concealed, as well as whatever it was he added. Later on, Wilson and others try the soup, it happens to be heavenly. They go about asking to find out the cause of why, everyone added pretty normal stuff. Eventually it boiled down to WX-78 who, when questioned, answered, 'I added that which I most hate to eat.' Whether he's lying to conceal some actual desire to participate or actually honest (Maybe he added sweet-potatoes, I read in his quotes that he doesn't like them.) isn't supposed to be known, but the comic implies that he added bananas and is lying. I may, as said before, revise this implication if I ever re-do this one. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

The first one fits Warly. He's really intense about cooking.

WX is just a robotic tsundere. He doesn't want to show that he likes their praise.

That's more or less why it's drawn out.

Some people see WX as being truly aloof and apathetic, not even faking... I think I lean more towards the side of him having some inkling of care but that's only my personal view. I would like it to be more for interpretation if I ever re-do it. (So I would merely hide his thoughts and the first explanatory panel.) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

True, they could be siblings/cousins for all I know.

They could but if it were the case, she would have more lore or atleast they'd both have quotes indicating they were siblings (much like Winona's hints to Charlie being her sister).

But they have hints and pairings and character quotes regarding each other that clearly show some kind of friendship between different characters, whether that relationship be romantic or merely friendly.

All of them being friends is pretty much canon at this point (except maybe WX and Maxwell but WX accepts everyone while the others are still forgiving Maxwell).

While hunger isn't a surefire way to tell anything (Surely there must be size difference between Wilson, Wendy, Wicker, Willow, and all the others with normal hunger rate?) It's the closest thing I have to any kind of indicator

There's official screenshots and in-game gifs (title screen and that one bit in the Forge trailer) that could be used as an indicator but they aren't always consistent. Atleast I'd like to believe Willow is slightly taller than Wilson (not including his hair XD )

I understand mine are very different to some.

Yeah. I mean some peoples don't ship characters at all while others think Willow is Wilson's niece (I enjoyed that little comic. A shame it was never finished. It stopped on a really good bit too :< )

But yeah, only 'he' because that's easier when it boils down to it.

Also "They" are the evil entities Maxwell and the fuel weaver keep referring to (and it ain't the insanity shadow creatures either. They could be controlled by said entities).

Some seem to pair Wx-78 'romantically' with Walani

Submarine. Yeah I think people think of "opposites attract" but I can't see WX being romantic towards anyone. He's just not the lovey type.

Fun fact: I did consider a Walani/Warly ship but... eh, not a lot of people shipped them so I kinda just forgot about them being a thing. Not that I see either of them being a dating type either. Plus lazy and chef is an odd combination :p

but he talks less about destroying her and the two work together pretty well

I don't think Wendy would mind if he vaporized her though, all that talk of death and joining her sister ^^;

I went on even more of one, and so could I. No worries. 

I'll be honest, I was a bit surprised to see the long post and even questioned it a little but I still read it all -u-; so it's no biggie.

• Thanks 1

They could but if it were the case, she would have more lore or atleast they'd both have quotes indicating they were siblings (much like Winona's hints to Charlie being her sister).

True, and also as Wendy quotes about Maxwell. 
Rather, they have quotes like Wilson's remark on Willows Lighter: "It's her lucky lighter!" I believe there are more than that but, such as they hint at family relations in characters, there are quotes about this stuff too. 

All of them being friends is pretty much canon at this point (except maybe WX and Maxwell but WX accepts everyone while the others are still forgiving Maxwell).

Agreed, they're all friends. Only mean't that, however, some seem to get along more than others or mention each other more. (EX: Wendy remarks on the candy spiders around halloween time, "Don't worry Webber, it's just candy." - My memory may be foggy, but it was something along those lines. My sister kept spamming Wendy's examination quote at me in-game because she's really into Webber and Wendy. It was when our world was during Halloween, of course. )

There's official screenshots and in-game gifs (title screen and that one bit in the Forge trailer) that could be used as an indicator but they aren't always consistent. Atleast I'd like to believe Willow is slightly taller than Wilson (not including his hair XD )

Agreed, Willow is tall, but not sure those are sure-fire either as they don't really show much difference otherwise between that of Wolfgang and others, and maybe Wigfrid looking slightly smaller. I think they're deliberately keeping sizes even because they're mostly equal in-game as well, and Klei tends to keep their character's giant heads and general body sizes/proportions in the trailers.  It's a minor indicator, but not a full one - Were I to guess some realistic sizes for the charcaters, I'd have to guess there was some difference between Maxwell, Wilson, Winona, Wendy, Wickerbottom, Woodie, Willow, Non-upgraded-WX and the others - To have this many all be the same exact size seems very unlikely. But Klei shows them that away because, otherwise some obvious ones (Like Wolfgang), they probably want it to have a little bit of interpretation, or they wanna stay close to the game's style. 
I do think they verified that Willow is a little tall and Wilson is a little short, though? But that doesn't speak of Wicker and Winona and Woodie and all the others with normal hunger drain and 150 max hunger. 

Also "They" are the evil entities Maxwell and the fuel weaver keep referring to (and it ain't the insanity shadow creatures either. They could be controlled by said entities).

Yeah, I never saw the insanity creatures as being Them. More like minions of whatever Them happen to be... Or something like that.  The shadow creatures just don't seem, uh, intelligent enough. (I watch them run into a wall trying to chase me, slowly smear their faces across it until at last, they find the door, I smack them and they just teleport outside the wall and repeat the process... ) 

Calling WX 'They' would indeed cause some confusion. 

Submarine. Yeah I think people think of "opposites attract" but I can't see WX being romantic towards anyone. He's just not the lovey type.

Fun fact: I did consider a Walani/Warly ship but... eh, not a lot of people shipped them so I kinda just forgot about them being a thing. Not that I see either of them being a dating type either. Plus lazy and chef is an odd combination

They don't seem like opposites to me  but I understand why they associate them, the interaction of the personalities is interesting. But it doesn't have to be romantic to have personalities interact.

Further details on that here. 

Spoiler

My idea for them is that Walani is the sort to try and make friends with people, wants everyone to be at peace with each other and such/friends. Would encourage people to be forgiving to Maxwell, for example, but also - Is one who's really trying to reach out to WX-78 in my interpretation. But not romantically. Just friends. So essentially, by his terms, she's that person who's always bugging him all the time, but in my interpretation - Deep down inside, there's some part of him that's thankful for it.
Further into personal interpretation that isn't verified at all, as the two, Wx-78 and Wendy, meet and join the new group, Webber and Wendy slowly become more friendly and interactive with each other because they're around the same age and kids want to play with other kids. Prior, Wendy had been the only person with anything even like a 'relationship' with WX-78, and he feels kind of rejected by the whole group. (They're not rejecting him, but his... Behavior, can make people avoid talking to him about, say, they're feelings and such, so he sees everyone else having these 'friendships' and, regardless if he wants real relationship or not, there's a little bit of 'If they have it then I want it too' going on for him.) This causes him to turn to Webber with a little bit of... Jealousy? Envy? Some aggression towards Webber, because Wendy is spending more time with him, because of them being close of age. Causes Webber to become very confused but, in accordance to his innocent nature, he tries to be friendly with WX-78 whenever he can to try and say 'sorry' for whatever it is he did. He doesn't know what has caused this, because WX-78 isn't being honest about his jealousy over his 'little sister,' because he doesn't want everyone to know that deep down inside some part of him wanted a friend of some sort.

When Walani comes around and starts trying really hard to be his friend, his jealous calms down and becomes less antagonistic, and the group thinks maybe Walani's teachings about 'friendship and love' must be having some effect, so they encourage their friendship. But friendship is all it is. He's a robot, a non-biological, non-organic, robot.
It makes sense to me that she'd try to be his friend and such, not exactly that they would be romantic though. Just friends, really. I suppose people could implement appealing ideas like protectiveness and comforting, but even that doesn't need a romantic reason. We want to protect our friends too, after all. 

8 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I don't think Wendy would mind if he vaporized her though, all that talk of death and joining her sister ^^;

That too.  She's probably less put-off when he DOES talk about destroying the world, part of why friendship had a slightly better chance between the two in my interpretation. Only friendship though, but one that developed because they also lived in the same camp for a while, so that's why it has a sibling-like nature to it. (Occasional disagreements, usually working together to do things though, and comfortable working together/used to being around each other, so not surprised or shocked by each other's nature or the way each other might act. She won't question it when he says he wants to destroy the world and he doesn't question it when she says she wants to die, is sort of an "Oh, that's just (WX-78/Wendy) being themselves.")

8 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I'll be honest, I was a bit surprised to see the long post and even questioned it a little but I still read it all -u-; so it's no biggie.

I'll put this next one into a spoiler then. Probably need to go up and start doing that anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

Yeah, I never saw the insanity creatures as being Them. More like minions of whatever Them happen to be...

That's what I was thinking. In Metheus, the "minions" are obviously the previous crab-people  that served under the previous throne sitter.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

hat's what I was thinking. In Metheus, the "minions" are obviously the previous crab-people  that served under the previous throne sitter.

Oh? I've never done Methus, so that's interesting to know.   Very interesting indeed... So Terrorbeaks and such are the spirits of the ancient peoples who once inhabited the caves? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Oh? I've never done Methus, so that's interesting to know.   Very interesting indeed... So Terrorbeaks and such are the spirits of the ancient peoples who once inhabited the caves? 

Here's the thread.

Pyr0mrcow

• Pyr0mrcow
  •  
  • 661 posts
On 4/6/2017 at 6:34 PM, Mezukie said:

Staffsalot

this is his name now

LONG THING BELOW REGARDING RIVERS AND SYMBOLS AND SUCH

Hide contents

Alright, I know the panels have been shown a lot now, but that thing about 'rivers' got me thinking.

At first I passed it off as just a stylistic thing, but...

1.png.f3a5267ceb5d7bf2ae394f5c9c298bd3.p

Those 'rivers' sprouting out from the 'gateway'. They're in every panel, but there are only white ones in the first. Definite theme of corruption there. Good call.
In the second third...

2.png.8fda972d9f5945d0eb31b10f1ea29bc1.p

They're all corrupted, and the Thulecite 'frames' have seemingly closed up? Or spread, or...something.
The Shadows have seemingly started to expand into every aspect of life. And now the Fuelweaver (or something similar) pops up?
The missing second mural is definitely important. Arrival of the Fuelweaver/a related being, and suddenly everything is corrupted.
But, now there are white spikes around the 'gate'. They're not quite the same in the next mural, but...

3.png.296bd4c55b3b325eb0f86a1f1807291d.p

The spikes and the dark rivers combined? Runes of some sort enter the rivers. Maybe as a result of Torchy's actions. Either way, I'd really like to know what those runes mean...
Dark and light on both sides of Torchy in a number of fashions, and in a few, they're combined...Could Torchy not only be a sacrifice, but become something very similar to Charlie?
Now the portal is overloading or something. Coming alive in its own right?
The bottom of the torchbearer's torch is becoming corrupted. Tragic indeed.

Sidenote, along with all the blackened gems/everything...there's a corrupted carrot.
MERPMERPMERPMERP

IT WAS ALL THE MANDRAKES

Moving on. Last mural.

4.png.9831e1c1f96918e8b8654416ede43adf.p

...well. Pretty clear what happened there.
I notice that there's a little bit of light under the 'gate, as well as making up some parts of Sir Staffalot's body, and a little coming out of that staff?
I do wonder what happened to the king. I guess we'll find out in an indirect way with Max.

...I REALLY want to know what the rune near the center of the portal in this last mural means, though. Have we seen it anywhere else?

You don't need to play the game to see the heiroglyphs.

They don't seem like opposites to me

It's the water thing. WX can't touch it while Walani could literally live in it.

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

usually working together to do things though, and comfortable working together/used to being around each other

I can imaging if they ever paired WX with another survivor, he's complain about it in a subtle way.

"YOU REALLY WANT TO PAIR ME WITH THAT FLESHY? IT IS A FACT THAT WE ARE INCOMPATIBLE AND PAIRING US WOULD RESULT IN AN UNSUCCESSFUL TREK."

"Fine! Go with Wendy."

"THAT IS BETTER. GLAD YOU SAW IT MY WAY."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back from the trip. Here's the bounty of art that came from it. These were all done without reference. Not going to put them here all at once though.

follow_your_dreams_by_gallusvarius-dcc6z
A normal, healthy sibling relationship in all it's glory. 

doydoy_cuddle_by_gallusvarius-dcc6z6w.pn
Cuddling a doydoy, essentially the chicken-replacement for the Constant, I guess. 

who_are_you_smiling_at_by_gallusvarius-d
"What are you smiling at?" 
Wilson doesn't like this Jellyfish's attitude. It's too smug. Too smug about him being stranded in the middle of the ocean with rising waves and nothing else but a torch.

I'll just leave these three for now. 

• Like 1

Wendy becomes "Find the flag" Labeouf, I hope she understands what she's saying.

The doydoy piece is really cute. Shame it isn't cropped. It's a simple piece but yeah.

The sea looks hasty on this one but with the way Wilson is standing, I guess the jellyfish is smug about feeling safe compared to poor landlubber scientist.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, minespatch said:

Wendy becomes "Find the flag" Labeouf, I hope she understands what she's saying.

I don't know that reference, but she may very well know what she's saying.  Either that or she doesn't care enough either way. 

The doydoy piece is really cute. Shame it isn't cropped. It's a simple piece but yeah.

Cropped? You mean to digitally cut off the extra space and such?

The sea looks hasty on this one but with the way Wilson is standing, I guess the jellyfish is smug about feeling safe compared to poor landlubber scientist.

The sea was done quickly, yes. The whole thing was, while waiting for 40 minutes for my father to finish his allergist's appointment. Pieces with effort take me longer. 
With these, I feel mere illustration of the idea is enough to satisfy me. I was originally only doing that - Illustrating ideas that I never expected anyone to see. But once I had enough for this game, I figured it was about time I started putting them somewhere, even if the quality is poor. 

The waves look the way they do because they're intended to have some reminiscence of how they look in-game a little. You can see one is sort of about to crash into him, for that cause. 

Gonna add a few more now as well. 

mononoke_wigfrid_hime_by_gallusvarius-dc
Mononoke-Wigfrid-Hime?? I showed my sister a picture of a Wendy-Mononoke-Hime mix, and she said I should do one for Wiggy because the personality fit better.
Maybe I could do Princess Kaguya for Wendy to make up for it. Closest match along the lines that I can think of. 

The spear looks broken past her hair. Bleh. But changing things - and then re-scanning them, too - is troublesome.

I had no reference for this, or for any of them really. No internet or phone available at the time it was drawn. 

haireverywhere_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zg1.p
Now this one, I'm kind of proud of. The idea is WX, after watching the other survivors talk about hair quality/compliment each other's hair both upon scalp and face, he decided hair determined some form of superiority. And then realized, as far as hair went, he had none.
He covered himself in beefalo wool. 

If you can't read the dialog because my scanner makes everything lighter and evil and because my handwriting is terrible, I'll quote the dialog down here. 
"You have such lovely hair, Dear." - "It could never return Abigail." (I should have put it as 'It could never console my losses' or something.)
"Wonderful beard, good sir." - "Thanks. You too, eh?"

I think the dialog beyond that is legible. 

And then there's this that I also did. No references or anything, as usual.

Spoiler

I put this one in a spoiler because I felt like it was too weird and awkward. I still kinda do. But everything I'm putting here isn't great so far so I probably shouldn't be so insecure.
So here I am putting it up here anyway. 
comfort_by_gallusvarius-dcc6z8f.png
The words there say:
For whatever reason,
We can't be happy all the time.
At least not every day.

Surely even the mighty,
Can miss or mourn for those they love,
And those they loved?

Bleh, I should have kept this cheesy thing to myself. But too late now! Now you can all suffer severe cheese overdose. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:
  1. I don't know that reference, but she may very well know what she's saying.  Either that or she doesn't care enough either way.
  2. Cropped? You mean to digitally cut off the extra space and such?
  3. mononoke_wigfrid_hime_by_gallusvarius-dcMononoke-Wigfrid-Hime
  4. Maybe I could do Princess Kaguya for Wendy to make up for it. Closest match along the lines that I can think of. 
  5. haireverywhere_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zg1.p
  6. comfort_by_gallusvarius-dcc6z8f.png
  1. Shia Labeouf is the guy who did that video with the greenscreen "Follow your dreams"
  2. PRetty much.
  3. That's basically what Wigfrid's Verdant skin is.
  4. Wendy the bamboo princess. Imagine how tiny Abigail could be.:wilson_ecstatic:
  5. Beefalo hair Wx is too adorable.
  6. It's not cheesy. The words could be Wes's internal thoughts.
  • Thanks 1

On 5/22/2018 at 3:18 PM, gallusvarius said:

Wilson doesn't like this Jellyfish

Then Eva would hate his guts (Eva is a character from To the Moon/Finding Paradise who seems to be obsessed with jellyfish. Though I don't think TtM's jellyfishes are the same as the Constant's :p )

17 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

comfort_by_gallusvarius-dcc6z8f.png

Seems shippy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems shippy, correct me if I'm wrong.

Probably seems that way because it's fully of gooey feelings. While my mind goes in that direction while drawing this because there's clearly comfort going on, it doesn't technically need to be seen that way. Webber or Walani could be just as viable for comforting someone or put in Wes's position, I think. 
But this is born of my personal idea for them, yeah. 

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

It's not cheesy. The words could be Wes's internal thoughts.

I didn't think of it that way, but now I look back, that's a really neat idea. Probably most fitting too, I like it.
I always imagined that, since Wes can't speak, the other survivors probably go to him with their secret feelings and emotions and such - He can't tell anyone, after all. 
There was a funny idea about that too that I want to illustrate sometime. 

Thanks for this interpretation though, I really appreciate it.

That's basically what Wigfrid's Verdant skin is.

Heh, your absolutely right. 

Wendy the bamboo princess. Imagine how tiny Abigail could be.:wilson_ecstatic:

I had figured Abi would have been some form of Japanese spirit...  Might be kind of fun to draw Wendy in a kimono, pondering existence in a bamboo garden. I can probably factor in Abigail watching from somewhere as all good guardian spirits would, or even just as a ghostly copy of Wendy peeking out from somewhere.

Beefalo hair Wx is too adorable.

Thanks, I had aimed for that. Perhaps he will feature again some day. 

I bet he'd start overheating in summer, they'd tell him just to take it off and he'd refuse. Same joke has probably been made with Wilson but it seems like it'd make sense in this context too. 

Aand, here's some more stuff. 

sweet_temptation_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zpp

The idea and most of the dialog comes from a joke I saw on the wiki that I thought was really funny. So I don't take credit for this idea. I don't know how to credit an anonymous wiki person either. But in case it isn't legible, here's the dialog:

"Eh, I'm a pretty content gal, your offerings seem lame. Sorry dude."
"Power?"
"Nah."
"Fortune?"
"Nu-uh."
"How about this sweet potato?"
"YEAH!! WICKED!"

The idea was, 'How did Walani get into the Constant?" They mentioned she seemed pretty content and that it didn't seem like there was anything that could bargain her into it, and then someone made this joke.
In reality and aside of humor, I think it could have been something more serious. I like giving serious backstories to people I guess. She mentions a 'boss' when she examines the sailor hat, and some theorize she could have been a pirate. Maybe she was told she could find someone, or maybe she was told she could escape some kind of debt she was in. A debt to pirates seems epic enough.

The file is named 'Sweet temptation'... 

sweet_redemption_by_gallusvarius-dcc6ztb

Here's a tiny continuation of what's above. 

sickexpressions_by_gallusvarius-dcc6zw9.

Sadly, I'm sure this one isn't legible. But it was also my first time drawing Woodlegs. And with no references, as usual for these, so forgive me if anything is wrong.

The basics of what's going on here is, they shot and killed the whale, with the following dialog,
'Dude, sick!' and 'We got 'em!' from Woodlegs and Walani respectively.
Then Woodlegs becomes saddened because he does not understand Walani's slang and took it literally.
'Aww... Me new matey thinks me aim is sick...'
And then, 
'It's just an expression, it means 'Great.'' As a reassurance from Walani. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1