Some Content of the Artistic Form That I Do

Okay, this time I went and scanned the drawing right after drawing it, so now this won't add on to a horrible stack of DOOM. 

warlyportrait_by_gallusvarius-dciho76.pn
Drew this while being dragged out and about after working at the aquarium. It's Warly, drawn off memory because, as usual, no references. Though with the attempt at realism here, or more of it anyway, there's not a whole lot of specifics to remember. 
I feel like his nose could have done without that dark outline on the ridge of it, and the hair-bun-thing isn't as loose as I'd like it, but otherwise of that, I'm unusually happy with this one....
Well, I also tried to make his skin darker and still shade, and that this was a new thing for me to try and that therefore it's not the best, but I'm still oddly satisfied besides all the flaws I continuously mark out the longer I look at it. 

Warly always seemed like a sort of indigent character to me, but also, I find his hair interesting to draw. I like how some of the SW characters appear to be racially different than the others, I like it.
With his curls, I suspect some form of African blood or, Jamaican? Aborigine? Some group with curly hair... He also has the darkest skin of all the characters, it would appear. 
His hair is grey but he doesn't look super old otherwise. Maybe he's just had a stressful life and got grey a little earlier. 

walanieatsasweetpotato_by_gallusvarius-d

Sadly, I am less proud of this one. If nothing else, her head is too big.    The scene is a little awkward but she's eating a sweetpotato. I wanted to capture that awkward moment when one is eating something and they suddenly turn around, the food still in their mouth as they turn to look. She's supposed to be a bit shocked or surprised here. I think I may of failed at conveying the moment how I wanted, though.
I might feel more okay with this if the head weren't definitely too big. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

It's Warly

Looks great! I like the texture from the way you draw his curls. His face has good dimensionality, as well. Nicely done, especially for being drawn from memory.

she's eating a sweetpotato.

Heh. Caught stuffing her face.

I think that body language could contribute to the expression. Her body looks fairly relaxed, maybe she'd look more caught off guard if it looked like she was frozen mid-action while eating, or if she looked more tense/curled up? Hmm, not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Auspice said:

I think that body language could contribute to the expression. Her body looks fairly relaxed, maybe she'd look more caught off guard if it looked like she was frozen mid-action while eating, or if she looked more tense/curled up? Hmm, not sure.

You're probably right. I had different plans for her body as I was drawing the face, than what I ended up doing... I was gonna have her rowing a boat and do the 'freeze mid-action' when one is caught... I ended up doing a spear-in-hand and basic survival stuff because it was easier to manage the arms into, so now she's kind of walking to the mangrove and suddenly turning around, caught red-handed. Well, if eating sweet potatos were to be called a crime, anyway. 
Perhaps to those so concerned with efficiency that sweet potatoes and carrots must left in the ground except in emergencies - To those it may be a crime. 

Okay, so, I have more art, but I also don't want to drown everyone who hasn't caught up yet.... Oh well, throwing art anyway. 

woodlegscolored_by_gallusvarius-dciiubd.
This is actually a collaboration I did. Some of you may be familiar with them, they seem to call themselves 'Woodlegs the Pirate' or 'Pirate' on a discord server that Minespatch is also found on. On Deviant Art, they are werebearviking.  They drew the line-art and I did the colors and other random stuff. 
He's sort of in a sea cave, I took the liberty to do that when they told me I could color it. I hope they're alright with that. 
The original can be found here.

Lines and stuff: werebeaverviking
Colors and stuff: Me. 

I really love his idea for a 'Triumphant Woodlegs,'  it's really cool. If none of you are familiar with them, I suggest taking a look at their work at least. 

creaturesketches_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ix
I also did  some sketchy things as another one of my first tries with non-lined paper. I am most pleased with the volt goat and the grass gecko. There are a couple of awkward water-beefalo and a very faint rabbit who can stay faint because I did them wrong. 
Also, those are Dragoons. I wanted to play with their design a little. You see, I remember thinking - and I still think - of all the extra wildlife or creatures Shipwrecked could add. I really love SW and it's partly because I love it's kind of habitat and the ocean.  One thing I thought once was, 'Oh man! They forgot komodo dragons!! How could they forget the world's largest lizard, intimidating, venomous, hunts water buffalo, lives on a tropical island surrounded by water!!' Then I thought, 'Oh wait. So that's where the dragoons came from...'   I tried to tweak them to fashion them in a slightly more komodo-dragon like manner. 

As usual though, no reference. I would like to reference the dragoons sometime and work more on influencing komodo-dragon-like qualities in them.

Also, there was some nonsense over on my sister Cookie's thread, of which I drew this solely for the sake of it. 
She drew a shadow Webber who somehow stole Maxwell's cigars and probably someone else's because he had two, and I figured he had to be holding them just to look cool because he certainly wasn't inhaling on them, and then she said, 

"Yeah, just to look cool. No one needs two cigars, not even Maxwell."

MaxwellSmokesTwoCigars.thumb.jpg.0af58ae93e4d206751bcf797209d019d.jpg

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

Perhaps to those so concerned with efficiency that sweet potatoes and carrots must left in the ground except in emergencies - To those it may be a crime.

I always feel a little bad about picking carrots/potatoes. Then the ones I don't just sit there. Forever.

This is actually a collaboration I did.

I love it! The texturing is very cool. Perhaps some hard shadows in addition to the soft shading could help with the starkness of the light?

I just checked out some of werebeaverviking's stuff, I agree that their triumphant Woodlegs is pretty cool.

I also did  some sketchy things

YES GRASS GEKKOS HHHHHHHHHHHHH so cute my heart kuh

Ahem.

The electricity running through the volt goat's horns is pretty cool. The water beefalo and rabbit are not bad for not having a reference. 

Ah, dragoons. What a time. I like your komodo-fied take on them! Their original forms were too blobby for my liking.

6 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

"Yeah, just to look cool. No one needs two cigars, not even Maxwell."

... Well.

Well, Maxwell. To each their own, I suppose.

(On another note, his hair looks great!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:34 PM, Auspice said:

I always feel a little bad about picking carrots/potatoes. Then the ones I don't just sit there. Forever.

I know how that is. I have a world with more than 400 days, I'm sure there are still carrots in the ground. I'm Wigfrid on that one, it would be hard to need them for an emergency. 

I love it! The texturing is very cool. Perhaps some hard shadows in addition to the soft shading could help with the starkness of the light?

Thanks.
I did experiment with that, there is a layer for such I could have emphasized. I wanted to make sure the original line-work was entirely visible though, and not to try and out-shine the person I was working with. I could have made that darker still, but everything's already been posted up in places, and I don't want to go back and edit them all. I'd rather keep it in mind for next time. 

The electricity running through the volt goat's horns is pretty cool.

Thanks, though I think I got his horns wrongly shaped... But this is kind of preparation for a digital piece I want to do soon, to put my all into. You guys can see it when it comes, since I'm still finishing the depth worm... 

Ah, dragoons. What a time. I like your komodo-fied take on them! Their original forms were too blobby for my liking.

Yeah, I'm really interested in making my interpretation for them komodo-dragon-y. There's gotta be komodos somewhere, I wouldn't want SW to miss out on komodo dragons. They're just too perfect for it, they live on tropical islands with bamboo and water buffalo. Nothing is entirely accurate in Don't Starve, so of course they're in the volcano instead, but whatever works. 

Also, as usual, here's a bit more art from what I drew during that long silence not long ago... 

Spoiler

mermheadscharacters_by_gallusvarius-dcid

I guess I'll start with this scruffy thing. Ideas for everyone as merms from the Gorge. They could stand to look a little more like actual merms for sure, though this is definitely some of my more scrappy stuff to show.
The bottom-right is Maxwell. He's not taking the whole 'Mermified' thing very well at all. 
Woodie, I needed to move his eyes lower and fix his face. Merm Webber and Wes were inspired by other drawings for them.
doydoysitsonface_by_gallusvarius-dciobl1
I wish this weren't so faint... Oh well, I guess the important part is visible. 
I used to have a chicken who was so insistent on cuddling me, that if you stood, she would sit on your foot. If you sat down, on your lap. If you lied down, on your face.
She'd have her feet on the ground and rest her chest on your face as if your head was an egg, as if to try and suffocate you in her chestfluff. 
I'm sure Wigfrid is okay, she seems to be trying to say something but it's muffled by her pet.  Minespatch and I may have affirmed earlier that Doydoys are probably chickens for the Constant.
Baby doydoys are cuddling up under her arm right there.

Also, last but not least, my attempt at merging Wes's Gorge skin and his Shadow skin. You can find the main series on Auspice's thread, to anyone who is curious - They do an excellent job with these. I'm just drawing out my own ideas. 
shadowgorgewesmix_by_gallusvarius-dcioaz
I used colored pencils for once... You can't see it sadly, but I colored those pants. I really did. I made them red. I chose color this time because the amount of color was so limited, and it was only red.

To merge them, I basically kept the color scheme of the Triumphant form (Red and blacks/greys/that stuff,) but tried to also introduce a lot of soot and ash. Let the ash replace the usual make-up same as it does in the Gorge skin.  Much of the Gorge skin's costume remains as it was except for color, and the shirt being more of the Triumphant's. Scuffy hair like his sweep's skin but hair shape and glasses like the Triumphant. Well, the list of exactly how the fusion was preformed goes on. I didn't do as good with pose or expression as Auspice, so I definitely suggest taking a look at their work if you haven't already. 

• Like 4

Auspice, I replied to you and then added new content afterwards and the two comments merged, after you reacted to the post. You may not have seen it as a result, but my attempt at merging Wes' gorge and triumphant skin are found above this. 

I'll be leaving out of town on another trip in a few days from now. Going to try and post all the old stuff here before then. 

wigfridinpajamas_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ec
There was a 'draw your primary character in your usual wear' prompt thing that a few engaged in, I decided to join, although I usually wear pajamas. So here's Wigfrid in pajamas, I guess.   I did the head first and struggled to fit the body in from there, and the head is too big again.  The expression was originally different and the pose re-drawn multiple times as the original position didn't work so well....
So if this entire thing is just awkward and off, then that's why.

walaniinshorts_by_gallusvarius-dcid1p2.p
This one returns as I show Walani in loose shorts and sandals, the thing I'm wearing when I'm not wearing pajamas, basically. I drew it on that old picture with Wigfrid and the doydoy, I hope none mind. Conserving paper space. 
I know Walani doesn't shave her legs, apparently. (Look at her quote for the razor.) Neither do I, seemed like a good match. I play Walani a lot in Shipwrecked. 
rosewigfrid_by_gallusvarius-dcid1rq.png
Another portrait thing, though there is more than just a face in this one. This is Wigfrid's rose skin, I drew this a while back while sitting on a bus. The hair was very different originally because I had no reference, and then I fixed it when I got to a computer again. 
She seems to be indigent about something. 

Curious though - I'm guessing that drawings on not-lined paper are preferred to drawings on lined paper? And do people here prefer the method I use for drawing the characters more 'realistically' as much as I can manage, or more like the way I used more in the past on this thread when I drew them more true to the game's original style, as can also be seen in the other drawings of this post? 

• Like 5

On 7/30/2018 at 1:39 AM, gallusvarius said:

Also, last but not least, my attempt at merging Wes's Gorge skin and his Shadow skin.

Eyyy

Yeah, I didn't see it until now.

I like how you added more aspects of the triumphant skin to his outfit. I agree that the slight smile is a more suitable in-between of the sooty's smile and the shadow's serious demeanor. 

Glad we could exchange ideas for this!

There was a 'draw your primary character in your usual wear' prompt thing that a few engaged in, I decided to join, although I usually wear pajamas. So here's Wigfrid in pajamas, I guess.

That sounds... quite fun. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Spending all day in pajamas is very relatable. 

I like the dragons on her shirt!

This one returns as I show Walani in loose shorts and sandals, the thing I'm wearing when I'm not wearing pajamas, basically.

She does seem to be a good match. She looks very chill.

This is Wigfrid's rose skin

Oooh! I actually didn't know what her rose skin looked like. Nice pose. Perhaps you could use some sharper angles for her shoulders and fingers, and flatter lines for her neck cloth thing? 

Curious though - I'm guessing that drawings on not-lined paper are preferred to drawings on lined paper? And do people here prefer the method I use for drawing the characters more 'realistically' as much as I can manage, or more like the way I used more in the past on this thread when I drew them more true to the game's original style, as can also be seen in the other drawings of this post? 

Yeah, I would prefer non-lined paper for drawings.

I think you should draw whatever you feel like drawing - I enjoy seeing either.

I'll be leaving out of town on another trip in a few days from now.

Oh! Have fun! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Perhaps you could use some sharper angles for her shoulders and fingers, and flatter lines for her neck cloth thing? 

I see what you mean for the shoulders. I think I was trying to make it look like clothing or clothing wrinkles, with no success. 
The neck cloth thing? Do you mean that thing hanging from her next? What would 'flat lines' be?

33 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I agree that the slight smile is a more suitable in-between of the sooty's smile and the shadow's serious demeanor. 

I still think you did a better job with that in your first drawing of the merge. I just consider my doodle here as a way to express an idea for his actual clothing.

35 minutes ago, Auspice said:

hat sounds... quite fun. Hmmmmmmmmm

Minespatch and a few of the more popular artists like Nightwonder and others have done it too. It was a chain thingy where a lot of them did it actually, I think. 

37 minutes ago, Auspice said:

I like the dragons on her shirt!

Thanks. I have a lot of shirts with dragons. I'm not obsessed with dragons (When I was young I was, but I'm into world-building and once the right amount of dragon was carefully added in I simmered down and thought 'what about the chimeras and griffons'... ) but they sure look cool, so they end up on a lot of my shirts and stuff.

39 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Yeah, I would prefer non-lined paper for drawings.

I think you should draw whatever you feel like drawing - I enjoy seeing either.

Thanks for your imput. I'll have to wait and see what everyone else says, but I'm predicting they probably don't want my notebook paper. I find it strange because I never minded the lines, but I guess everyone's eyes work differently. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I see what you mean for the shoulders. I think I was trying to make it look like clothing or clothing wrinkles, with no success. 
The neck cloth thing? Do you mean that thing hanging from her next? What would 'flat lines' be?

I see...

I suppose I more meant "horizontal" and having fewer folds; flat isn't very descriptive! In her portrait, the bottom of the cloth is more or less composed of three mostly straight lines.

wathgrithr.thumb.png.5e6061a47dc0803c280

8 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I still think you did a better job with that in your first drawing of the merge. I just consider my doodle here as a way to express an idea for his actual clothing.

Ah, thank you! Alright haha

4 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Thanks. I have a lot of shirts with dragons. I'm not obsessed with dragons (When I was young I was, but I'm into world-building and once the right amount of dragon was carefully added in I simmered down and thought 'what about the chimeras and griffons'... ) but they sure look cool, so they end up on a lot of my shirts and stuff.

Dragons are actually My Thing That I Drew Most before coming into Don't Starve, haha. When I created a fantasy world, dragons were definitely the centerpoint. It wasn't until much, much later that I thought about other creatures. I'm actually more the type to wear plain shirts (especially high-necked, long sleeve ones) and express my love for dragons elsewhere.

Anyways, I might do a doodle for that chain thingy...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Auspice said:

I suppose I more meant "horizontal" and having fewer folds; flat isn't very descriptive! In her portrait, the bottom of the cloth is more or less composed of three mostly straight lines.

Ohhh, I see now, looking at that portrait. I didn't think to reference her clothing better, but yes, I see that weird collar thing extends outward, where as mine is just two flat triangles. 

4 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Dragons are actually My Thing That I Drew Most before coming into Don't Starve, haha. When I created a fantasy world, dragons were definitely the centerpoint. It wasn't until much, much later that I thought about other creatures. I'm actually more the type to wear plain shirts (especially high-necked, long sleeve ones) and express my love for dragons elsewhere.

Yeah, I noticed when I checked your DA!
Don't get me wrong, I still love dragons. I just also found other ideas that soon came into competition with them, so they were no longer the spotlight. 
I definitely wear a lot of them on my shirts though. That and a lot of fox faces and wolves, random animals, honey badgers... 

Those are the kinds of shirt my sister Cookie likes to wear, long sleeved and 'long'-necked. I believe they are called 'Turtle neck' sweaters? 
I always wear stuff with short sleeves. I mentioned hairy legs, well I have hairy arms too, and some sleeved stuff brushes up against my arm-hairs and feel weird and uncomfortable. 

10 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Anyways, I might do a doodle for that chain thingy...

I would definitely suggest it. Think about who you could force to wear a turtle neck sweater... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Don't get me wrong, I still love dragons. I just also found other ideas that soon came into competition with them, so they were no longer the spotlight. 
I definitely wear a lot of them on my shirts though. That and a lot of fox faces and wolves, random animals, honey badgers... 

Of course.

So much variety :0

18 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Those are the kinds of shirt my sister Cookie likes to wear, long sleeved and 'long'-necked. I believe they are called 'Turtle neck' sweaters? 
I always wear stuff with short sleeves. I mentioned hairy legs, well I have hairy arms too, and some sleeved stuff brushes up against my arm-hairs and feel weird and uncomfortable. 

Ooh, interesting! The ones I usually wear are very thin, though. It's curious; most people think I mean a sweater when I say turtleneck, but it really is a thin shirt with a turtleneck.

That is unfortunate. I struggle with comfort vs. aesthetic. Especially when I'm feeling my black turtleneck on a hot summer day.

20 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

I would definitely suggest it. Think about who you could force to wear a turtle neck sweater... 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Was there ever any doubt?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

That is unfortunate. I struggle with comfort vs. aesthetic. Especially when I'm feeling my black turtleneck on a hot summer day.

Heh.
I can't say I struggle with 'comfort vs. aesthetic.' I almost always go straight for comfort and throw 'fashion norms' into the wind. I do like costumes though, but costumes with ancient fashions or form of dress, so cosplays or real costumes, that sort. Then the aesthetic and the comfort engage in war. 
I don't know if you saw them yet, but my two sisters cosplayed Walani and Wendy respectively here on this thread. You might have to jump around on the pages. The Walani one is on the very first page of the thread. 
I made the costumes for them and they wore them. Once I finish a Wigfrid costume, we're gonna go to this comicon-ish-thing around here together. I'm not sure anyone will recognize us as Don't Starve, but we can hope. 

1 hour ago, Auspice said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

(Was there ever any doubt?)

Honestly, I'm excited to see who you choose as victim for this!

2 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

I almost always go straight for comfort and throw 'fashion norms' into the wind.

Interesting! I actually have a lot of trouble buying clothing that I'm actually going to wear, since I strongly dislike the most-commonly-seen revealing clothing of modern fashion. If I can cover more skin, I'll cover it. (Except for my head/face, I guess.) Hardly anyone sells plain turtleneck long-sleeves! Maybe I should buy 10 black turtlenecks and wear them every day. 

my two sisters cosplayed Walani and Wendy

I saw your sister who played as Walani earlier, and I just found the pictures of your other sister as Wendy. They look great! I didn't get too much into cosplay, since it's very costly and time consuming, but I'd quite like to dress as Wilson one day...

Honestly, I'm excited to see who you choose as victim for this!

Heh. Well, I might do different people to represent some of my different moods.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Auspice said:

Interesting! I actually have a lot of trouble buying clothing that I'm actually going to wear, since I strongly dislike the most-commonly-seen revealing clothing of modern fashion. If I can cover more skin, I'll cover it. (Except for my head/face, I guess.) Hardly anyone sells plain turtleneck long-sleeves! Maybe I should buy 10 black turtlenecks and wear them every day. 

Interesting. I do understand how you feel about coverage. I only have one pair of black shorts, because I don't like shorts that are above my knees. And whatever I wear, looseness is important to me. I don't like things that cling to me a whole lot if I can help it. 

I also strongly dislike the revealing clothing of modern fashion, basically.

Heh. Maybe.  I kinda do that with pajama pants, buying a whole bunch. I have several pairs torn beyond recovery. They get torn because I'm kind of all-over-the-place, even at home. 
Any pair of clothing I own long enough, if it isn't formal, gets torn or has holes eventually. It's stuff like that little wild spot I like to march into at the park and all, branches catch on my clothing. But I like climbing trees and that whatnot too. 

19 hours ago, Auspice said:

Heh. Well, I might do different people to represent some of my different moods.

Yeah, that's what I did, sorta. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

whatever I wear, looseness is important to me. I don't like things that cling to me a whole lot if I can help it.

I agree wholeheartedly. Though in addition to the issue of comfort, I prefer an androgynous appearance as opposed to showing my figure.

9 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

It's stuff like that little wild spot I like to march into at the park and all, branches catch on my clothing. But I like climbing trees and that whatnot too. 

So.... so wild! I'm a recluse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auspice said:

So.... so wild! I'm a recluse.

Yeah, well - I'm gonna be cosplaying Wigfrid for a reason, eh? 

Also, throwing some more stuff on here. I leave tomorrow morning but will also check on during that time to add more before I go, probably to add whatever I have left even if it's more than three. 

Spoiler

willowwalks_by_gallusvarius-dcid1lb.png
The scanner made it much lighter.... A dramatic doodle of Willow while sitting on the bus. I'm pleased with her hair dimensions. I was originally going to try and do her rose skin, but I didn't know how it looked, and now... Now it's not a very good Willow, or at least the hair is much too frizzy, but oh well. I think I like how it looks anyway. 

Her torso was not originally floating. The scanner did that. I blame the scanner for all my problems. 

mightyburger_by_gallusvarius-dcid1h6.png

Some little doodles. Maybe if I draw Wolfgang cute enough people will appreciate him as a character more.   I notice a lot of overrating for him in the gameplay area, almost aggressively, and then almost as consequence, underrating in the art community. Anyone who draws all the cast eventually draws him, but does anyone draw him as their 'Main?' 
Anyway, you probably want an explanation for why he's surrounded by hamburgers, at any rate... My sister saw a restaurant called 'MIGHTY BURGER' while we were on a roadtrip once and told me Wolfgang would eat there. 
Also WX-78 in a bunny costume, no context. Other than that he is very very cross about it. 
The scanner made it too light again. The words to the right of WX and Wolfgang's shirt stripes are gone. 

Willow's hand is off entirely. But her hair is better in this one, at least. She used to have lips. But then the scanner came... 

shadowwessquints_by_gallusvarius-dcid1v0
I think this is the last of my portrait work. I hid his hand behind his hair-flop, in part because I didn't want to erase my hard-worked hairflop. 
Head size is probably wrong again. 
And the scanner also made this one lighter than I wanted. Even after I told it to be darker, it disobeyed me, 
Well anyway. Here's Shadow Wes, doubting you and subsequently squinting in your direction. 

• Like 6

Okay, here's the last of the pile up now.    I'll try to scan and post things as I finish them from now on, though I'll probably be drawing while on this trip and will probably have another series of things to show after that.

shadoweschops_by_gallusvarius-dcid1q5.pn
Everyone draws Triumphant Wes doing cool snazzy poses or things of like nature, but really, I suppose all the skins are subject to the same wilderness and survival.  
I decided to draw them doing some survival. Normal tree-chopping.   The backround was made lighter by the scanner - Sometimes my scanner just likes to do that, it gets in this mood were it won't let me control the brightness. Usually I can. 

survivalwendy_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ml.pn
Survival Wendy and some Generic Shadow Monsters. 
I think she can get out of this, don't worry. They're just dangerous concepts in her mind, she just needs to find her axe. 

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, gallusvarius said:

A dramatic doodle of Willow

You've really captured the dimension of her hair here.

Also: rip scanner, I didn't see the fire for a bit but it is a good touch

Some little doodles.

I haven't tried Wolfgang yet! I've also not drawn him, except for a little project I'm thinking of that doesn't really count as drawing him... It's probably since he's less of a match for my personal aesthetics. 

He could be the poster man of Mighty Burger. It's be perfect.

I'm amazed they managed to slip that bunny costume on WX at all. Or maybe it was Charlie's doing.

The frizziness of Willow's hair is indeed better. Her expression looks. Concerningly gleeful.

Here's Shadow Wes, doubting you and subsequently squinting in your direction.

There he is

Not wanting to erase your hard work is very relatable. I've changed poses (arm placement usually) often enough because I didn't want to cover some detail I've drawn. The expression is great. Though I think the thumb is on the wrong side of the hand? 

32 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Normal tree-chopping.

Aha! I suppose you are right. Nicely done, especially the hair! 

I'm not sure why, but I really like the foreshortening of his foot. 

35 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

Survival Wendy and some Generic Shadow Monsters. 

Ah, I love edgy art. I can feel her tension in the way she holds herself.

36 minutes ago, gallusvarius said:

scanner

Hmm... Have you heard of the phone app CamScanner? It's a much simpler method of scanning, I think. Though I actually just take photos with my phone and do some cropping and editing. If you have an iPhone, I just increase brilliance (this mostly removes the gradient shadows), highlights, brightness, and contrast, and sometimes lower or increase shadows or black point to get what I want. I prefer this since A) it's faster B) it's more convenient since I don't have to get a scanner and C) I have more control over the settings. The downside is that you have to get a decent photo with decent lighting first.

I guess if you'd like an example, I recently finished a traditional drawing. Here's the sketch before and after editing + final before editing, and here's the final result. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Or maybe it was Charlie's doing.

Very likely. That or, a panflute was used on him. 

31 minutes ago, Auspice said:

He could be the poster man of Mighty Burger. It's be perfect

Definitely.

Also: rip scanner, I didn't see the fire for a bit but it is a good touch

I had so many details in all of these that my scanner DESTROYED...
Thanks for managing to notice anyway. 

I haven't tried Wolfgang yet! I've also not drawn him, except for a little project I'm thinking of that doesn't really count as drawing him... It's probably since he's less of a match for my personal aesthetics. 

He is tricky, yes. Perhaps try dabbling with him a little. I made the back of his head dark as if it were just shaven off at the back instead of lacking hair at the back of his head - My own personal change to his design.
It's because I've never heard of anyone who had hair on top of their head, but failed to have any at the back of the scalp. There are people who go the opposite direction and loose hair at the top of their head, and retain the hair on the sides. But I've never heard of the other way around.

That's why I give the sides/back of his head the appearance of being shaven.

I'm sure there's room for tweak when you draw him, too? 

35 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Her expression looks. Concerningly gleeful.

Fortunately all she has is a single match.
But that's probably still enough for her to find a way to burn down an office building. 

36 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Not wanting to erase your hard work is very relatable. I've changed poses (arm placement usually) often enough because I didn't want to cover some detail I've drawn. The expression is great. Though I think the thumb is on the wrong side of the hand?

Yeah, I do that too, definitely as seen here.
I think you're confused by which finger is his thumb. That's okay, I probably didn't do a very good job... The lower finger is his thumb. Or it's supposed to be, anyway. I held my hand up to my own glasses to determine how I pushed up my own glasses, and then tried to replicate it. 

38 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Ah, I love edgy art. I can feel her tension in the way she holds herself.

Yeah. Though her expression remains pretty blank, as usual, as Wendy doesn't seem to give much facial expression.
Tense and probably about to get herself out, but I suspect panic isn't her thing. 

42 minutes ago, Auspice said:

Have you heard of the phone app CamScanner?

Hmm. I tried to take photos of my drawings earlier on and it didn't do too well.    Never heard of that program, but I think I'll stick with the scanner. It usually works very well when it doesn't disobey me and make pictures brighter when I told it to make them darker.

Like, I'll change the brightness setting, set it lower, take a preview scan - The preview scan will successfully be darker and all details visible... Then, satisfied with the settings, I'll do the actual scan, and then... Nope, the scanner dropped all the settings and made it way too bright when I specifically told it to be less bright and faint.

It doesn't always do this, just sometimes. 

1 hour ago, gallusvarius said:

I'm sure there's room for tweak when you draw him, too?

I may just do so (when I'm not emulating the official artstyle, at least). It'll certainly be... interesting.

The lower finger is his thumb.

Oh! Yeah, I did think the finger below was the thumb. I mean to say that his right hand looks a bit more like a left hand, since the thumb of a right hand would be farthest from the viewer. I feel that it might benefit from drawing the other three "free" fingers in front of the thumb? 

It doesn't always do this, just sometimes. 

Alas. Of course, use whatever you like best!

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2018 at 4:33 PM, gallusvarius said:

There was a 'draw your primary character in your usual wear' prompt thing that a few engaged in, I decided to join, although I usually wear pajamas. So here's Wigfrid in pajamas, I guess.

Same! I drew Wigfrid in my cat onesie I was wearing at the time. You may have seen it on the Tumblr chain :p

On 8/1/2018 at 2:09 AM, gallusvarius said:

I have a lot of shirts with dragons.

Lucky! I wish I had some.

I must a agree there are a lot of cool mythical beasts out there ^_^

On 8/1/2018 at 2:19 AM, Auspice said:

Dragons are actually My Thing That I Drew Most before coming into Don't Starve, haha.

Same here. Though I did try to draw more humans in 2015 (I think it was) to expand on my style.

(I got lazy with reading, sorry. Man I really got to check this thread more often ^^; )

• Like 2

On 7/23/2018 at 1:36 AM, gallusvarius said:

I5b55699c36f74_dancingspider2.thumb.gif.35772c9bf94854e3073463b6d7b17c72.gif

Webber's babies from the Forge?

On 7/26/2018 at 5:20 PM, gallusvarius said:

1. walaniportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ke.p
  2. wxportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ai.png
  3. wilsonsatyr_by_gallusvarius-dcid1fv.png
  1. There are times I wish this site had a wow react.
  2. The camera shutter eyes gives more definition to WX. IF it can work in the movie 9, why not here?
  3. Wilson's catchphrase.:wilson_sneaky:
On 7/27/2018 at 10:31 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. wesandmaxfight_by_gallusvarius-dcid1bq.pweswinsthefight_by_gallusvarius-dcid1cs.
  2. . It doesn't look smeared when I scan it, or even now, but somehow that scanner must just love emphasizing smears?
  3. forgewebber_by_gallusvarius-dcid1hv.jpg
  1. I feel like the way Wendy and Webber are in this, they're acting like how I see them. Bratty pranksters and they're enjoying the violence.:wilson_ecstatic:
  2. If I scan, the tiny particles from behind the paper are emphasized a lot....
  3. Even when he's a deadly gladiator, Webber's the game's poofywoofer. This one is a wolverine claw poofywoofer.
On 7/28/2018 at 1:30 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. warlyportrait_by_gallusvarius-dciho76.pn
  2. walanieatsasweetpotato_by_gallusvarius-d
  1. This piece has a handsome quality to it. Nice work with the pencil smearing. You might want to try charcoal in the future and experiment.
  2. This piece comes across as relaxed. For a hard game, it's nice to see a character take in the environment.
On 7/28/2018 at 6:26 PM, gallusvarius said:
  1. woodlegscolored_by_gallusvarius-dciiubd.
  2. creaturesketches_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ix
  3. MaxwellSmokesTwoCigars.thumb.jpg.0af58ae93e4d206751bcf797209d019d.jpg
  1. IMPRESSIVE! You went all out on this piece. Love the lighting and ominous background.
  2. So many cute animals in this one.
  3. um.thumb.png.79a05546de4e5db831aaa8b6e1721c55.pngThat explains the deepness of his trumpet.:wilson_sneaky:
On 7/30/2018 at 1:39 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. mermheadscharacters_by_gallusvarius-dcid
  2. doydoysitsonface_by_gallusvarius-dciobl1
  3. shadowgorgewesmix_by_gallusvarius-dcioaz
  1. Thank you, I needed ref of wendy and wicker as merms and I'll be able to print this out for ref. I need to figure out how to repay you.:wilson_dorky:
  2. I wish Cosmic was that friendly. She does it when I sleep but it would be nicer if she could ninja-glomp me. Your story sounds adorable.:wilson_smile:
  3. Victorian Wes is giving into his inner David Bowie/Japanese popstar. I would what kind of silent singing performance he could get out of that broom?5aefdeba06b63_wilsonthonc.png.e1a6c19d47df44913f8d49249edbad85.png
On 7/31/2018 at 12:33 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. wigfridinpajamas_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ec
  2. walaniinshorts_by_gallusvarius-dcid1p2.p
  3. rosewigfrid_by_gallusvarius-dcid1rq.png
  4. Curious though - I'm guessing that drawings on not-lined paper are preferred to drawings on lined paper? And do people here prefer the method I use for drawing the characters more 'realistically' as much as I can manage, or more like the way I used more in the past on this thread when I drew them more true to the game's original style, as can also be seen in the other drawings of this post? 
  1. You gave into the temptation too. Looks like she's giving attitude in this one.
  2. This piece screams you. A little snapshot of comfort.
  3. Okay, who offended Wigfrid? Did a religious bunnyman try to push her into the cult of veganism?
  4. If you know how to do leveling with your lineart on a paintprogram, you can remove those lines, thouuuuugh, you might want to ink your drawings before you do that.
On 8/2/2018 at 12:15 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. willowwalks_by_gallusvarius-dcid1lb.png
  2. mightyburger_by_gallusvarius-dcid1h6.png
  3. shadowwessquints_by_gallusvarius-dcid1v0
  1. With some chosen colors, this could be a atmospheric piece. Otherwise, a nice study on Willow.
  2. You might want to revisit the logo and bunnywx again in the future. They're funny concepts.
  3. judgingyourgroove.thumb.png.71212c6466131674df938a1cff7713d6.png
On 8/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, gallusvarius said:
  1. shadoweschops_by_gallusvarius-dcid1q5.pn
  2. survivalwendy_by_gallusvarius-dcid1ml.pn
  1. Wes might be jealous over how good Woodie and MAx are at chopping and wanted to vent his jealousy?588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png
  2. It might be a generic shadow monster piece, but you captured the quiet anguish of Wendy. Almost as though she's inches away from the throne.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, minespatch said:

All the things that they said

Before I answer everything in detail, just want to give a foremost THANKS for coming over to reply to literal pages of art. Well, a page an a half, but that's still a lot. 

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

Webber's babies from the Forge?

Not necessarily, but they can be. I think they're mostly normal spiders, though. 
But if they are the forge spiders... Then this must be their victory dance. 

• There are times I wish this site had a wow react.
  • The camera shutter eyes gives more definition to WX. IF it can work in the movie 9, why not here?
  • Wilson's catchphrase.:wilson_sneaky:

Glad you like my drawing of Walani. Hoping to give more in the future. 
I don't know the movie 9 or what it is. Does it have camera eyes somewhere?
And yes. Clearly his catchphrase but also a lie because he did agree to get knowledge from Maxwell. Probably how he feels, though. 

• I feel like the way Wendy and Webber are in this, they're acting like how I see them. Bratty pranksters and they're enjoying the violence.:wilson_ecstatic:
  • If I scan, the tiny particles from behind the paper are emphasized a lot....
  • Even when he's a deadly gladiator, Webber's the game's poofywoofer. This one is a wolverine claw poofywoofer.

I kinda see them doing that sort of thing too. Though I tend to see a lot of the cast as mischievous in their moments. Surely Wilson and Willow both pester now and again. I'm sure WX-78 likes mocking others if nothing else. Wigfrid is more indirect - Hitting people with backscratchers to 'spar' with them, but close enough to mischief for sure... Wendy is smiling in the 'results' of the battle because she finds Maxwell's defeat to be amusing. 
I think I noticed that, yeah. I think the extra 'smear' might actually be the drawing on  the other side of the paper... I'll experiment next time I scan. 

• This piece has a handsome quality to it. Nice work with the pencil smearing. You might want to try charcoal in the future and experiment.
  • This piece comes across as relaxed. For a hard game, it's nice to see a character take in the environment.

Charcoal? I don't have any artist's charcoal. I suppose I could look under our family's outdoor grill for scraps of literal charcoal, though... 
Seems like it would be a lot darker. I'd have to be careful with it. 

It is, but mostly also intended to be goofy.  Thanks for your compliments.

• IMPRESSIVE! You went all out on this piece. Love the lighting and ominous background.
  • So many cute animals in this one.
  • um.thumb.png.79a05546de4e5db831aaa8b6e1721c55.pngThat explains the deepness of his trumpet.:wilson_sneaky:

Thanks. It didn't take me as long as most digital stuff I do, though - I usually put in more details and the like, but working over a sketch is a little different.
Yeah, I was thinking of a sea-cave; Those things that start with C...  Ugh, I completely forgot their name. They fill up with water as the tide rises and then drain out again when it lowers. They usually have two ways to get in - A small entrance from above, on land, a dropdown into the cave system, and then another entrance out in the ocean...
Klei probably won't since we already have the volcano as our 'Shipwrecked Caves,' but I'd be pretty happy if they added in these kinds of things. Instead of a nightmare cycle, there would be a 'tide cycle' down there. 
Yeah, mostly an animal sketch page. But the 'komodo-dragoons' will probably return in the future, maybe done better when they return. 
Funny, a friend of mine sent a meme like that when I showed them this drawing. I was thinking of giving him more cigars like that to make it more amusing, but did't want to over-do it. 

• hank you, I needed ref of wendy and wicker as merms and I'll be able to print this out for ref. I need to figure out how to repay you.:wilson_dorky:
  • I wish Cosmic was that friendly. She does it when I sleep but it would be nicer if she could ninja-glomp me. Your story sounds adorable.:wilson_smile:
  • Victorian Wes is giving into his inner David Bowie/Japanese popstar. I would what kind of silent singing performance he could get out of that broom?5aefdeba06b63_wilsonthonc.png.e1a6c19d47df44913f8d49249edbad85.png

I'm honestly surprised you found a use out of this scrappy thing - No need to repay me. Glad someone got something out of it. 
Is Cosmic your cat?    The chickens here sit on humans every chance they get. We have a different group now. We had someone come over to visit and one of the chickens was trying to clean his boot all the time. 
I didn't know he looked anything like something of those categories.   Maybe if the broom were his microphone.

• You gave into the temptation too. Looks like she's giving attitude in this one.
  • This piece screams you. A little snapshot of comfort.
  • Okay, who offended Wigfrid? Did a religious bunnyman try to push her into the cult of veganism?
  • If you know how to do leveling with your lineart on a paintprogram, you can remove those lines, thouuuuugh, you might want to ink your drawings before you do that.

Maybe Wigfrid isn't happy I put her in pajamas? The pose and attitude ended up happening because I couldn't get anything else to work, unfortunately. It's not really any expression I often portray myself.
Yes, the one with Walani is definitely more like me, or is carrying an attitude I would show. 

Perhaps. Or perhaps someone told her to just drop the act already. Maybe you feared being skewered on a spear, but I think you'll find the wordy  epic poem she recites in explanation for her act will be far more unbearable. 

Well, yes, that could likely affect the drawings themselves. I probably wouldn't go back to remove the lines. But do you all want me to draw more on lineless paper? And do you prefer my style where I keep the blank don't starve eyes, or prefer the style with more realistic eyes that have definable pupils? I doubt I'd ever stop doing one or the other completely, especially since I rely on the less-realistic style for comics and scenes, but I'm just looking for some kind of input. 

• With some chosen colors, this could be a atmospheric piece. Otherwise, a nice study on Willow.
  • You might want to revisit the logo and bunnywx again in the future. They're funny concepts.
  • judgingyourgroove.thumb.png.71212c6466131674df938a1cff7713d6.png

Yeah, it could have been. Perhaps I can do something digital for her someday, it could be easy with her focus on fire... We shall see. 
Interesting. I didn't think either of those would be valued. I'll keep it in mind, thanks for your input. 
...Oh- Heh, yes. That's kind of his expression, isn't it? The words anyway, would describe it perfectly.    He looks like he's about to turn someone into stone with those red eyes. Or maybe shoot a laser out of them. Maybe that's why he wears the shades... 

• Wes might be jealous over how good Woodie and MAx are at chopping and wanted to vent his jealousy?588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png
  • It might be a generic shadow monster piece, but you captured the quiet anguish of Wendy. Almost as though she's inches away from the throne.

Well, I had intended that he was merely chopping wood to make a fire to cook some food with. Normal survival stuff.  The unique skins seldom get shown doing typical survival things, excluding the survival skins. 
Ah, yes, thank you.   Indeed, maybe she was. It started out as a 'study' of her survival skin, and then I just threw in a bunch of stuff, so it's very much subject to interpretation. That seems a fitting enough explanation for the scene, at any rate. 

Okay, back from my trip, as everyone probably noticed. I did draw a lot but nothing actually finished except something I started before I left. 
I'll still be working on all the other stuff. 
For now... I tried experimenting with my scanner since it was misbehaving again, and found another setting, 'black and white.' I'll be putting several versions of the same drawing down below for comparison. 

Spoiler

verdantwigfridlight_by_gallusvarius-dcje
This is how it normally is, with the scanner refusing to go darker.
verdantwigfriddark_by_gallusvarius-dcje6
This is the black-and-white option. The details I did are a little more visible but on entirely...
verdantwigfriddarkest_by_gallusvarius-dc
This is back and white with full darkness. My details are finally more visible (And I now regret not shading that boulder),  but it also did something HORRIBLE to Wigfrid's right hand, the one on the tree. 

Tell me which one you guys like the best, I guess?
Anyway, as for the picture itself - Verdant Wigfrid wandering about grassy fields and lush forests under the rising full moon. I added a little stream in there. Streams don't exactly seem to exist in-game, but I imagine all the creatures must drink somewhere, and it seemed like a neat thing to add. 

Also, I forgot to add this back a while ago. It doesn't feel as good as the rest of my stuff, but I didn't come here to be picky about what I show.
trappedmime_by_gallusvarius-dcje81r.png
Just kind of supposed to be a dramatic little tidbit for Wes. It can't have been any fun trapped in that box - Not in a place like the Constant, anyway. With two Maxwell Statues constantly staring you down and mocking you.

I don't know if it's easy to tell or not, but he's hands-and-knees on the ground.

Edited by gallusvarius
  • Like 3

Finished this when I should have been in bed. 

wigfridportrait_by_gallusvarius-dcjfkdh.
One of these things, but for Wigfrid. I had some trouble with the helmet. There was some better shading on it too, this time not the scanner's fault. It obeyed this time but no setting could lower brightness enough to show my helmet shading, so I did it too lightly. It doesn't look so light in person, but oh well. 

Tried to see how I could possibly make her more 'realistic.' I probably could have done better and may do better for her in the future. 
Trying my hand at these portraits is fun and I think I am improving each time. Does anyone want to suggest a character they might be excited to see drawn in this way? You can suggest a character I've already done like this - I imagine I have flaws in all of them, a chance to try and redeem myself and to try a new expression might be entertaining. 

• Like 3