Data Mining, Theorizing, Art Assets, Sprite Sheets, & More! (SPOILERS!)

8 hours ago, Xenologist said:

I read the encyclopedia entry in-game for the wheezewort and it turns out that it is more jellyfish than plant. And also that through speculation, the wheezewort seed would be a polyp.

It would be interesting if wheezeworts would change into some sort of animal if certain conditions are met. Like if they cool down the area low enough. A flying wheezewort jellyfish would be pretty funny.

4 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

A flying wheezewort jellyfish 

@minespatch? :wilson_curious:

12 hours ago, Xenologist said:

I read the encyclopedia entry in-game for the wheezewort and it turns out that it is more jellyfish than plant. And also that through speculation, the wheezewort seed would be a polyp.

But jellyfish aren't animals...in fact I have no idea what they even are.

I tried Googling polyps and all I get are the kind that show up in one's intestines and rectum. 

jooshthonk.thumb.png.f5b345e863e51680bbc84573e0b16523.png

Spoiler

Okay turns out there are two types of cnidarian, which is the phylum that jellyfish and others reside in: Polyp and Medusa

A polyp is the form that attaches to a surface, while a medusa is the form that is free-floating.

For example, a polyp would be something like an anemone, while a medusa would be something like a jellyfish.

I think the more accurate term for jellyfish are medusae gelatinous zooplankton, to be completely pretentious and flex my MASSIVE repertoire of words.

Spoiler

And yes, I do know what zooplankton are. I learned about them in my Oceans class.

Okay...back to wheezeworts! I found the data entry for it (because I needed a refresher hush):

The Wheezewort is best known for its ability to alter the temperature of its surrounding environment, directly absorbing heat energy to maintain its bodily processes. This environmental management also serves to enact a type of self-induced hibernation, slowing the Wheezewort's metabolism to require less nutrients over long periods of time.

Deceptive in appearance, this member of the Cnidaria phylum is in fact an animal, not a plant. Wheezewort cells contain no chloroplasts, vacuoles or cell walls, and are incapable of photosynthesis. Instead, the Wheezewort respires in a recently developed method similar to amphibians, using its membranous skin for cutaneous respiration.

A series of cream-colored capillaries pump blood throughout the animal before unused air is expired back out through the skin. Wheezeworts do not possess a brain or a skeletal structure, and are instead supported by a jelly-like mesoglea located beneath its outer respiratory membrane.

One thing keeps bugging me though... 

A series of cream-colored capillaries pump blood throughout the animal before unused air is expired back out through the skin.

Neither jellyfish nor any organism in the Cnidaria phylum have blood. This is because they have no circulatory system or hearts.

There's also a continuity error because the description for the Wheezewort describes pores, which cnidarians do not have.

Wheezeworts can be grown in flower pots and absorb heat by respiring through their porous outer membranes.

If they have pores, then they're in the phylum of Porifera instead of Cnidaria. That would make them closer to sponges than it would to anemones.

Spoiler

And it'd make more sense too, as sponges rely on on maintaining a constant water flow through their bodies to obtain food and oxygen and to remove wastes. 

But instead of water, it's heat.

And finally last time I checked, Wheezeworts don't sting. All organisms within the phylum of Cnidaria have nematocysts, or stingers.

Heck, I think we'd have a stronger case for Shockworms being related to jellyfish than wheezeworts.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

this member of the Cnidaria phylum

Wait? This is from the in game files right? Maybe those are in fact related with jellyfish but genetically modified like the other critters. Maybe they got rid of stingers so they are more usable OR they don`t have them in this form. Imagine when it gets too cold wheezeworts start floating away and stinging dupes passing by.

1 hour ago, watermelen671 said:

If they have pores, then they're in the phylum of Porifera instead of Cnidaria. That would make them closer to sponges than it would to anemones.

Maybe it`s something in between. Being partly a sponge would give it a slightly stronger outer membrane that would help it keep it`s shape. A jellyfish from could be a bit more dense as well so it`s better suited for floating in the air and a lower gravity. Jellyfish are 99% water so they can survive in extreme water pressures. Air has much lower pressure so they might have a different structure.

Uhh, i`m sitting at my pc and discussing how would a space jellyfish work in a sci-fi world and it`s easter. I need to rethink my life. Happy easter everyone.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, minespatch said:

What is this?

5 hours ago, MF99K said:

really old assets for mining explosives I believe

Wait a second...mining explosives?

jooshthonk.thumb.png.f5b345e863e51680bbc84573e0b16523.png

Spoiler

I just realized that I was taking it literally, and that you were most likely referring to explosives used for mining. :wilson_facepalm:

Spoiler

English is a weird language.

Anyways, this is the codex entry for the Burner:

public class BURNER
{
    public static LocString NAME = UI.FormatAsLink("Burner", "BURNER");

public static LocString DESC = "Burners reach incredible temperatures and can quickly melt large areas."

public static LocString EFFECT = "Produces a searing Heat Jet using Liquid Crude Oil.";
}

• Thanks 1

...so I attempted this myself, but had little luck.
Is there a direct rip of all the music for this game somewhere? I've been looking to mod ONI's music into another game with a similar style, but I'd like the original quality if possible, rather than ripping from Youtube.

I didn't happen to find any place to purchase the OST, and Google led to dead ends on obtaining it otherwise...and I'm not familiar enough with Unity to fully understand the ripping process yet.

I feel really hecking stupid right now...I just realized that most of the music tracks are segmented into different parts rather than all in one track. :wilson_facepalm:

Also! ALL OF THEM ARE DIFFERENT IN TERMS OF HOW THEY'RE SEGMENTED!!!

*Screams in Theremin*

Spoiler

For example, some segment them by calling each segment:

• Intro
  • Day
  • Night
  • Prebridge 

While others are similar, but different such as:

• Intro
  • Morning
  • Day
  • Evening

And even still:

• VAR01-VAR03

And what I find to be the most egregious:

image.png.98d38cb5b5487df212292266621e768c.png

Whatever the heck this is.

Edited by watermelen671
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@lifetheuniverse

Here are the ones I could tolerate splicing together without eating my own nipples out of frustration. 

Syncopated_81bpm.wav

DupeTheme_77bpm.wav

pedals8_75bpm.wav

techviewmap_layer1_LP.wav

ProcTrackTest_FM.wav

ProcTrackTest_Ab.wav

DaysbetweenSongs_65bpm.wav

DaytimeMusic_V4.wav

Prophet6_V1.wav

Prophet6_V2.wav

Alpha2_V2_VAR01.wav

Alpha2_V2_VAR02.wav

Alpha2_V2_VAR03.wav

Hydrophonic can eat my nipples for all I care, it's just too much for me to even bother.

SMASHH.png.218c1b1aa3b8c7db081ee632822b93bc.png

So that's why it's not there.

Edited by watermelen671
forgot to @
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, MF99K said:

w h a t is with you and nipples???

It's just become my go-to expression of frustration.

idk.png.ad4fa951a08564ab864964c11eb0395c.png

Everyone can relate to nipple pain, because everybody has nipples.

Spoiler

inb4 people start shouting at me that they don't have nipples. 

tiredsipp.png.e5ea28931cc68509332e6045575c80d7.png

• Haha 3

Oof, didn't realize that the music was so broken up in this game; I figured it worked on layering complete songs and increasing/decreasing volume of the layers to fit the situation.

...no wonder I was confused about finding it in the first place. I managed to locate and extract the music from the game I'm hoping to put these into pretty quickly now that I understand how, but ONI's assets are a hecking labyrinth xD
Well, this has helped me figure out a few things, so that's neat! Progress marches on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Oof, didn't realize that the music was so broken up in this game; I figured it worked on layering complete songs and increasing/decreasing volume of the layers to fit the situation.

...no wonder I was confused about finding it in the first place. I managed to locate and extract the music from the game I'm hoping to put these into pretty quickly now that I understand how, but ONI's assets are a hecking labyrinth xD
Well, this has helped me figure out a few things, so that's neat! Progress marches on.

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that the music is kept in "Streaming Bank.bank" and not "Master Bank.bank"

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:12 AM, lifetheuniverse said:

I've been looking to mod ONI's music into another game with a similar style [...]

Just figured I'd post the followup to this (it was for Rimworld):

PreviewSmol.png.33960f633254545d44f2bf4e18041d2d.png

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1725523235

yee

The sleepytime clip has a really rare chance of playing randomly at night because I'm a comedic genius.

Edited by lifetheuniverse
  • Like 1

Spoiler
On 4/26/2019 at 8:07 AM, watermelen671 said:

Everyone can relate to nipple pain, because everybody has nipples.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, minespatch said:

It's a sexual thing.

Technically it's biology... but I still have no idea why men have nipples when they don't need them >u>;

My off-topic blerp.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:
  Hide contents

Technically it's biology... but I still have no idea why men have nipples when they don't need them >u>;

My off-topic blerp.

Well, to continue this off-topic blep, the reason men have nipples is because of the process of gestation.

In utero all fetuses start off as female, and it's only after week 7 of gestation that the Y chromosome signals testosterone to start being produced, and male sexual characteristics to develop.

That is why men have nipples. They are fully functional nipples, and theoretically men can also breastfeed. And now you know. :wilson_goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Well, to continue this off-topic blep, the reason men have nipples is because of the process of gestation.

In utero all fetuses start off as female, and it's only after week 7 of gestation that the Y chromosome signals testosterone to start being produced, and male sexual characteristics to develop.

That is why men have nipples. They are fully functional nipples, and theoretically men can also breastfeed. And now you know. :wilson_goodjob:

I feel like I should have known that. I studied biology, I was told fetuses start as female! ^^;;

Also, seeing a male breast feed would be very interesting. I hope people don't get put off by that in public >u>;

Anyway, back on topic!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1