A solution to grievers

I think a good solution to greivers is to allow for people to make a tribe. Only people within that tribe can decontruct and/or burn things. This would be a great if this was made possible, less trolls and more of a community.

Sometimes you're only playing solo on an official server or in a duo so you cannot use the kick option or roll back and sometimes it doesn't even allow you to roll back or kick because it's blacked out. Creating a tribe and having no damage or deconstructions out with the tribe would solve the issue, it's PvE not PvP.

While I understand your point, this tribe-system would limit players freedom in a way Klei most likely wouldn't want. Two tribes hardly could work together because they couldn't edit each others' buildings. 

Or just imagine the following: a tribe (maybe even made specifically by trolls) walls off the portal. Now no one can play in that world. GG.

Generally, a tribe system would just split the playerbase, the tribes would keep their bases separated to keep them protected from potential griefers from other tribes. Each tribe could slice off "their" part of the world and not letting others in there (like desert, pig village, sinkholes, ruins... heck, even beefalos, bees or such). This would just increase hate and rivalisation in DST.

So I wouldn't like such a system to be implemented.

Vast majority of pubs out there are 6-slots Survival ones. No matter how I look at your suggestion it just isn't useful or reliable (and trust me, I signed up on Klei forums and started using Steam DST ones precisely because I was looking for a solution regarding griefers - I get you haven't had to deal with Clouds' madness from 2 years ago or other pro-griefers like S@tan-senpai, Milky-Spider and the server-resetting gang or burn-hammer-burn roaming-map Saltzmah - oh the joy of human manure plaguing the game, lel). Also Klei doesn't seem to care about recurrent problem of griefers (among many others) so.. :rolleyes:

It is useful and reliable, you only add people you can trust, even playing solo they can't burn your base if you made your tribe. "Professional" base burners, funniest thing I've heard since yesterday.

13 hours ago, fimmatek said:

While I understand your point, this tribe-system would limit players freedom in a way Klei most likely wouldn't want. Two tribes hardly could work together because they couldn't edit each others' buildings. 

Or just imagine the following: a tribe (maybe even made specifically by trolls) walls off the portal. Now no one can play in that world. GG.

Generally, a tribe system would just split the playerbase, the tribes would keep their bases separated to keep them protected from potential griefers from other tribes. Each tribe could slice off "their" part of the world and not letting others in there (like desert, pig village, sinkholes, ruins... heck, even beefalos, bees or such). This would just increase hate and rivalisation in DST.

So I wouldn't like such a system to be implemented.

They could implement not being able to build around portals and cave entrances, I love your guys insight, great inspiration for improving games Kappa

I feel as if all the people that commented are base burners and professional grievers, great community, atleast what's left of it.

Sigh... so you think we're all griefers? That normal people aren't interested in methods preventing trolling and burning the base down?

I played a lot, both on moderated and unmoderated public servers, and I rarely encounter griefers. And even if I meet some, what's the worst that could happen? They make people angry, that's all. Unmoderated servers aren't even inteded for long-term plays, most of them get regenerated after the first or second year. If you plan to return to that world later, chose a moderated or a non-public one.

The method you are suggesting isn't bad, but in my opinion it would limit every players' abilities (especially regarding cooperation) way more than the problem griefers are. Many situations could happen where this system would cause more problems, not to mention it could be abused or simply avoided:

• You're at someone else's base and you're starving. The owner isn't there and you cannot eat, not even with the owner's permission. 
  • You cannot share resources with other tribes in a common base (assuming you cannot open other tribes' chests, but if that's not the cases, people could steal everything valuable).
  • You could get banned from your tribe for a misunderstanding/by mistake.
  • Apart from the portal, there are tons of specific resources that could be walled off. Pig king, cactii, volter goats, Ancient Pseudoscience station, bunnymen... it's simply impossible and makes no sense to protect everything with a "no-build" aura. It's like if kitchen knives were illegal just because one can murder with them.
  • The bases could still be burnt down, just build something in the middle of the others' base and light it... (and there could be other methods as well).
  • Edit: and what Cyberboy2000 said.

So, if your idea were implemented, how do you imagine the tribes, how would they work? Would Klei organize them, or the community? Who can decide which persons can join and which ones must be banned? How big each tribe would be? Small ones, like 5-10-20 people? Or big ones with hundreds and thousands or members? (In the latter case, I could recommend a few good servers/groups if you're interested to play ;) There are nice people and they are well moderated.)

And I didn't even mention yet that joining the community would be a pain for players who just started with DST. They do not belong to any tribe, can't play too well, cannot cooperate with other tribes... this would make a lot of newcomers just stop playing the game and look for other, more welcoming games. 

TL;DR: Tribes would generate more conflicts, troubles and toxicity when meeting other people, and after all it would do more harm to game quality and the fun people would have on public servers.

3 hours ago, Mikessnow said:

It is useful and reliable, you only add people you can trust, even playing solo they can't burn your base if you made your tribe. "Professional" base burners, funniest thing I've heard since yesterday.

Mind to elaborate on how your clan/tribe idea would be useful in 6-slots Survival pubs? (as stated, this is standard/default configuration for most of them public servers out there) You know, same pubs mostly struggling 'till first winter hits, then BillyBobRandom comes, dies as an icicle munched by catcoons, and resets?!

And "professional" base burners/destroyers are usually players with over 1k h in-game that can take on every kind of challenge DST imposes on them yet they choose for various reasons (mostly has to do with their warped personality) to troll pubs. Some of them even pose as friendly helpful players until you turn the proverbial back at them. Also yes - throwing-straws-on-fire style - a minority of these pro-griefers frequent Klei forums too, generally being sausages (with 2 eggs) here as well.

Or kingdom, in my case.  ALL HAIL STARVANIA!

But seriously.  While this is a halfway interestingish idea...there's just way too many ways it could go wrong, too many variables, and too many cases where it might do harm to innocents and/or NOT stop the original problem.  I've often thought that a big long-running server with different bases where they ACT kind of like different "civilizations" or "towns" and trade various items back and forth might be an interesting experiment?

...but NOT in a game-_rule_-enforced kinda way.  Strictly a voluntary thing that everybody involved is on board with.

So yeah, basically...the "tribe" thing can be cool, but not for stopping griefers really, and I don't think actually reworking the game code to make this a permanent, canon thing would be a good idea.  (shrug)

...Notorious

That is so stupid being grievers to join someone private server for ruining or regenerating the world, the server owner know the players steam ID number , steam name , Klei ID number and IP address , they can find grievers Klei ID number from log file and ban. If you say a solution to grievers for public server, unfortunately that is no way to solve the problem.

On 28. 4. 2018 at 7:56 PM, Mikessnow said:

I think a good solution to greivers is to allow for people to make a tribe. Only people within that tribe can decontruct and/or burn things. This would be a great if this was made possible, less trolls and more of a community.

This tribe idea = try to make everyone friends between each other even though they would stab each other...

What Mikessnow suggested is already implemented with a few mods in the workshop. Just do a quick workshop search and you will find some. Anyway, an easy 3 steps solution would be:

1. Don't play on official servers that are known for not being monitored by anyone. Never! Instead play on community dedicated servers that show signs of an administrator presence, or at least are known to take actions against a player if given some sort of fool-proof evidence to backup your claims.
2. See point above.
3. See point above.

Jokes aside, if you have solid evidence (like a good screenshot with actual burning, smashing, whatever) and would like to share that information with the community then I would gladly take those details and share them outside the forums (cos naming and shaming isn't allowed in here) with other members of the community that are interested in preventing such actions happen on their servers as well, thus ruining the fun of playing the game for more people.

@Mencken : What you are suggesting is called PvP where griefing is allowed. ;)

There is no solution, it is important to allow people to grieve after experiencing a great loss. Honestly? Can't believe you'd post such an insensitive thread. Once again for the people in the back:

G aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 

r aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa s aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa b

e aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa o  aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a

f aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa d

is this loss?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa n

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa e

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa v

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa e

g aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa s aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa r ever, a bad thing, end of story.

FINALLY!  I was so waiting for someone to take the actual spelling of the thread's title literally and make a joke about it...someone other than me.  I've been The Arsehole Spelling Nazi way too many times in my day, so...thanks for taking that bullet, Ressayez.  (thumbs up)

A GRIEFER is someone who messes up your game for fun.

A GRIEVER is someone who is sad over a loss, such as someone they know dying.

English is annoying, I know.  :\  ONE LETTER different and...yeah.

...Notorious

Archived