Improved Liquid Airlocks

Thanks to all the suggestions from my post yesterday I have made an improved liquid airlock that allows dupes to pass though without getting wet so they don't get stressed.  The liquid airlock is crude oil, petroleum, and water stacked at 10g each.  By having the dupe jump though the gap it avoids getting the wet debuff.  The vacuum in the middle also prevents temperature from crossing as well

NOTE: I didn't come up with the idea for this, credit goes to @Xyer and @Kasuha from my last post

20180320173645_1.thumb.jpg.34cac5ec0babbae1b9bf7f3a1cffcb70.jpg20180320173703_1.thumb.jpg.33f33a038598f2cc6abc376ed6e6521e.jpg

As you can see after Nails passed though there was no "soggy feet" or "soaking wet" stat8.png.9f9438866d023ccffc995a82543309cb.png

This water lock can also handle the extreme temperatures of volcanoes as long as you maintain a vacuum in the chamber holding the volcano.  Make sure you have exo suits too:D

20180320175200_1.thumb.jpg.45b5d84534141c7a5e2ca50904ed6bee.jpg20180320175207_1.thumb.jpg.42e5568465338745f8c61512454843cc.jpg

1 minute ago, Kasuha said:

I feel like you're joking. Just because I posted it in your thread does not mean I was helping you to grab all credit for it.

If I was trying to grab credit I wouldn't have mentioned you guys.  If I had misunderstood then I apologize

2 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Seeing as you're mentioning practical applications, how would you set it up in non-debug mode?

dripping single 10g liquids is tricky but possible if you automate liquid valves set to 10g and a shutoff so only one goes though at a time.  As for creating a vacuum use air pumps 

I guess you need to set it up like a regular liquid airlock once all liquid is poured (oil, petro, water, or polluted water), you will remove some tiles and make it look like on the picture

I saw a similar design on youtube but it was only oil and water and it was just a 2 tile high of liquid airlock

2 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

I saw a similar design on youtube but it was only oil and water and it was just a 2 tile high of liquid airlock

the reason for the gap is to make dupes jump though the waterlock, I heard the idea from @Kasuha but I think he's mad now because this post looks like I'm trying to steal credit from him which was not my intention 

Sorry @Neotuck - you know I love to get onboard with new and interesting builds - but this is just impractical faff :D 

Also, slightly more pedantically of me - the lock isn't "handling" the temperature of a volcano - it's separated from it by the wonders of vacuum :p 

46 minutes ago, Repseki said:

Does it have to be those specific liquids, or are they just the "easiest" to deal with?

There is not much else you could choose from, maybe Petroleum. So far nothing else is in stable state in normal temperature ranges.

Again I don’t see the point of these complicated liquid locks stress is not enough of an issue to warrant the hassle of getting 10 g liquid pillars.

I play on the max setting for stress and immunity i use regular liquid locks and my stress rarely goes above 5%.

5 minutes ago, TrustyFish said:

Does this setup work with 2 liquids? with 1 seperated by the other? Such as:

Water

Crude

Water

No, the crude oil sinks in the water, which would result in

Water

Water

Crude Oil

Then the water would merge and spill all over. 

You can do this with 2 liquids.  You can go

Water

Crude

Crude

But this is trickier to set up.  The bottom crude oil would need to be full and one above would have to be around 30 g (actually, it can be higher, but I don't know the value off the top of my head). 

On a related note when constructing things like this, mopping will clear liquid from the tile being mopped and the two adjacent tiles (if they are moppable).  Further tiles are not effected.  That means you can build these without being as careful if you are willing to have a gap of 3 in your airlock

All liquids apart from Naphtha (which hold up to 390g) stack to 39g until they start to flow to the sides, naphtha at 390g is "fat" enough for "exhale" bug to not happen. If you use suits they don't exhale, thus do not break the membranes.  I've been using that technique quite a while. Its easy to set up legit as well, bottle emptier drops the bottle as soon as you untick it in the list, making the hunt for 39g easy as long as you pay attention. The jump gap adds bit extra to the whole blueprint.

Plus mesh door can be placed in the membrane, further giving access control.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:26 PM, Grimgaw said:

Seeing as you're mentioning practical applications, how would you set it up in non-debug mode?

I accidentally made this setup but with pWater instead when the heat from hot biome melted some water and Pwater from the cold biome above it and mixed with oil from my Oil Well and created a vacuum in between too. 

You potentionaly can build 5-6 tiles hight liquid lock, and even more with liquid in debug
Just drop few kg/each :

Water
P. Water
Petroleum
Naphta
Crude Oil

and mop the rest. BTW take care about temps liquids range

57 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

does this still work and how do you set it up.  I think somebody tried to post images but the images are all gone.

Can't you see the pictures from @AnotherBoris? He showed it pretty well.

And if you want to make a normal water lock - just make a bottle emptier and set it to "enable auto bottling" so that dupes will empty bottles there until you have a large enough pond of water.

Archived