Don't Starve Update Trailer: Insanity.

Similarily, I find myself speeding through the first 2 days and running as far and wide as I can so that I find a perfect base spot and start building it no later than 3-4 ingame days in. Before I would wander around for days on end, but those days are long past. Still, I am hoping there will be some update that focuses on encouraging exploration (kind of like the koalaphant, I liked that addition a lot) instead of punishing staying in one place.Don't get me wrong, I like building bases, but I used to like exploring too. Now it seems that comes only after the base is fully ready.

I like exploring and I like a challenge, but I can't seem to stay alive for a month. I wonder if Klei will eventually incorporate difficulty levels, so those who love the adrenaline rush of monsters can play the difficult level and those who wish to explore and discover are able to do that. I have started trying to build bases on more than one island so I don't have to stay in one spot.

I like exploring and I like a challenge, but I can't seem to stay alive for a month. I wonder if Klei will eventually incorporate difficulty levels, so those who love the adrenaline rush of monsters can play the difficult level and those who wish to explore and discover are able to do that. I have started trying to build bases on more than one island so I don't have to stay in one spot.

Why is that? (I mean the dieing part) - what kills you the most? For me my No.1 cause of death is EXPLORING while not paying attention:I die in stupid ways that are always my fault it seems - or rather, my ADVENTUROUS soul. If I turtle up in the base near beefalo I can survive easily (I usually just kill the character on purpose after day 60-70 because I'm already bored), but if I go out to adventue a bit I get killed by random tentacle whilst commiting a cardinal sin of NOT PAYING ATTENTION WHILE I AM CHASING THAT DAMN GOBBLER. Needless to say I feel like the game rewards sitting on your ass in a comfortable spot a bit too much. The hounds aren't a big enough threat, but tbh I don't think adding threats is going to change it. rl;dr: I'd like there to be more things that encourage exploring (like gravedigging unique items, koalaphant <- BIG yes) Edited by Silvi
freaking typos

Why is that? (I mean the dieing part) - what kills you the most?

I die for stupid reasons. I won't notice that my heart is down below 50% and will attempt to kill spiders. Or, like you said, being in the swamp. I will be gathering reeds and chasing frogs for their legs (yum!) and the next thing I know, I'm dead. The written cue that the hounds are coming has saved my life many times. Maybe if I took less risks I wouldn't die so much, but that would be less interesting... and I am so wanting to make discoveries about what happens when you are alive for a long time. For example, I have never seen a spider queen.ETA: Okay, now that I read that, it seems it is my fault I die so much. I mean, like you said, PAY ATTENTION. It is also true that I am impatient. If I keep a weapon in my hand while gathering poop, I may accidentally attack and beefalo and they kill me. You know what I really want? To be able to carry more stuff around. Edited by ucw

I wonder how you will make taffy. Perhaps with honey and some new ingredients? Least to say, this new update will be very interesting, though I have never understood how dapperness can keep one "sane". Of course, we're talking about Don't Starve, the Tallbird and the Krampus aren't really the most logical creatures that have existed, so maybe we should just let that slide.

I wonder how you will make taffy.

I found a stick of butter after burning down a forest. (Found morsel, red feather, and a stick of butter. Sounds like a shopping list.) Maybe butter will be included in a taffy recipe?

not sure if late but i see that there is a new date system in game. it now shows the day, not how many days you survived. thats cool since you can say you survived for certain months then days. just now noticed why they put that in. oh boy now i have to make a vest/clothing if i can survive that long

Maybe butter will be included in a taffy recipe?

Ahh, yes, most likely will taffy need butter, it's a drop from killing a butterfly, but it's unusual, at least for me. Out of 15 butterflies that I have killed in my latest run (in search of butter to make waffles), only 1 of them dropped butter for me, the rest gave me their wings.

not sure if late but i see that there is a new date system in game. it now shows the day, not how many days you survived. thats cool since you can say you survived for certain months then days. just now noticed why they put that in

I'm pretty sure that the first number is what world number you are on on that play through being that you can just go through the metal potato portal to a harder world.

I'm pretty sure that the first number is what world number you are on on that play through being that you can just go through the metal potato portal to a harder world.

well the devs said they are adding seasons so i thought that was a date system. i will watch it again while i wait

Why is that? (I mean the dieing part) - what kills you the most?

For me my No.1 cause of death is EXPLORING while not paying attention:

I die in stupid ways that are always my fault it seems - or rather, my ADVENTUROUS soul. If I turtle up in the base near beefalo I can survive easily (I usually just kill the character on purpose after day 60-70 because I'm already bored), but if I go out to adventue a bit I get killed by random tentacle whilst commiting a cardinal sin of NOT PAYING ATTENTION WHILE I AM CHASING THAT DAMN GOBBLER. Needless to say I feel like the game rewards sitting on your ass in a comfortable spot a bit too much. The hounds aren't a big enough threat, but tbh I don't think adding threats is going to change it.

rl;dr: I'd like there to be more things that encourage exploring (like gravedigging unique items, koalaphant <- BIG yes)

On the whole topic of "Camping out". The developers are STILL adding things to fix this big issue , they are adding things to keep you in a sustainable base , but are Soon going to add things that MAKE you leave your base or else you will die in seconds.

E.g. sanity is affected when you fight/see scary things , seeing a spider will probably take down your sanity a tiny bit , you need approximately 30 silk to get a top hat and a dapper vest. By the time you've got 20 of them , you can build a top hat , but your sanity will most likely be at around 10-0. your sanity will need rising , meaning that you will need to stay in your base for quite a bit of time.

Then , before you know it , Seasons will come , and there will be snow , and winter. Cold weather means you will freeze to death , meaning you will have to find a constant source of heat. You can't stray away from your camp , but you need to find a heating source or hot clothing to venture out. This may be a way of keeping you in your base , but you need food sinse most of your sources of food will not be obtainable at this time. You also need to get MORE silk to get warm clothing , meaning that you will have to lose MORE sanity... This basically means you will have to be in and out of your base constantly , and you won't be able to live long without putting your life in danger : what is more important? Not freezing to death , or Dying of the satanic shadows that will kill you.

On the whole topic of "Camping out". The developers are STILL adding things to fix this big issue , they are adding things to keep you in a sustainable base , but are Soon going to add things that MAKE you leave your base or else you will die in seconds.

E.g. sanity is affected when you fight/see scary things , seeing a spider will probably take down your sanity a tiny bit , you need approximately 30 silk to get a top hat and a dapper vest. By the time you've got 20 of them , you can build a top hat , but your sanity will most likely be at around 10-0. your sanity will need rising , meaning that you will need to stay in your base for quite a bit of time.

Then , before you know it , Seasons will come , and there will be snow , and winter. Cold weather means you will freeze to death , meaning you will have to find a constant source of heat. You can't stray away from your camp , but you need to find a heating source or hot clothing to venture out. This may be a way of keeping you in your base , but you need food sinse most of your sources of food will not be obtainable at this time. You also need to get MORE silk to get warm clothing , meaning that you will have to lose MORE sanity... This basically means you will have to be in and out of your base constantly , and you won't be able to live long without putting your life in danger : what is more important? Not freezing to death , or Dying of the satanic shadows that will kill you.

I dunno how the sanity will work since we haven't really played it yet, neither do we know much about seasons by this time (at least I haven't seen any real info on it). But anything that forces me out of by base to stretch me legs is a welcomed thing. I just don't know if I like the idea of seasons, because it sounds like it'll encourage camping even more. You can plant trees very close to your base, so fire isn't an issue, you can even burn little bundles of trees so that's not an issue either. Ah well, it's really too early to talk about that.

I dunno how the sanity will work since we haven't really played it yet, neither do we know much about seasons by this time (at least I haven't seen any real info on it). But anything that forces me out of by base to stretch me legs is a welcomed thing. I just don't know if I like the idea of seasons, because it sounds like it'll encourage camping even more. You can plant trees very close to your base, so fire isn't an issue, you can even burn little bundles of trees so that's not an issue either. Ah well, it's really too early to talk about that.

Well I think the general consensus is that everyone is aware that camping is an issue and the Devs are working to resolve it. As forum members we share in the responsibility by posting suggestions on ways to get players to explore or travel more often. For example, I personally like how whenever I want reeds I need to travel to the swamp to harvest them rather than simply dig up the plant and replant it back at my base camp.I've also suggested, along with other players, to include "points of interest" that could randomly spawn on maps, from Cthulian ruins/obelisks to lakes which accept gifts in exchange for a sword (think "Lady of the Lake", only greedier). Also we could have larger and more diversified biomes, like a lava or desert biome with their own unique resources and creatures that only inhabit those locations.Anyway, feel free to make suggestions for the Devs and who knows, maybe they'll add your suggestions to the game. :)

Well I think the general consensus is that everyone is aware that camping is an issue and the Devs are working to resolve it. As forum members we share in the responsibility by posting suggestions on ways to get players to explore or travel more often. For example, I personally like how whenever I want reeds I need to travel to the swamp to harvest them rather than simply dig up the plant and replant it back at my base camp.I've also suggested, along with other players, to include "points of interest" that could randomly spawn on maps, from Cthulian ruins/obelisks to lakes which accept gifts in exchange for a sword (think "Lady of the Lake", only greedier). Also we could have larger and more diversified biomes, like a lava or desert biome with their own unique resources and creatures that only inhabit those locations.Anyway, feel free to make suggestions for the Devs and who knows, maybe they'll add your suggestions to the game. :)

Agreed on the reeds. In fact I never use the replanting system just because I want a reason to leave my base, but then I feel like I'm wasting potential and I hate that feeling.Points of interest, random hunts, unique items only available if you go out into the world, that's all really good and it's what I'm after. Rather than punishing camping, I'd prefer to see rewarding exploration - as it is now, exploration is actually more of a risk than anything. I know it's supposed to be a survival game, but it seems like even the spiders rarely swing by if I don't go out of my way to hunt for them. I feel like we need a new mob/monster that would travel and set up 'spawn points' close to bases (and would be harder to take care of unless you go out to find them before they grow into a threat, track them down - maybe in the system the koalaphant works - and dispose of them).

I feel like we need a new mob/monster that would travel and set up 'spawn points' close to bases (and would be harder to take care of unless you go out to find them before they grow into a threat, track them down - maybe in the system the koalaphant works - and dispose of them).

Maybe Deerclops will be that type of enemy? Who knows?

Agreed on the reeds. In fact I never use the replanting system just because I want a reason to leave my base, but then I feel like I'm wasting potential and I hate that feeling.

Exactly. One of the more "radical" ideas I suggested was the shovels shouldn't be allowed to dig-up resources and players should be forced to travel outside of their camps to collect them rather than hoarding them all in one location. I mean, we already have farm plots, so do we really need to also collect berry bushes?In a recent interview Kevin mentioned adding fruit trees were still on his "To Do" list, however if he does add them it will likely be after the game's release. However, I'm hopeful these trees will not be replantable or plantable (as seeds).

Rather than punishing camping, I'd prefer to see rewarding exploration - as it is now, exploration is actually more of a risk than anything.

There is no reason to punish camping (or "turtling"), as it's a logical behavior given the circumstances, and as I've stated many times before, "turtling" isn't the problem, it's a symptom. The problem is players need more reasons to explore beyond the edge of their base camp and until they have a reason most players won't risk their lives without a good reason.

I feel like we need a new mob/monster that would travel and set up 'spawn points' close to bases (and would be harder to take care of unless you go out to find them before they grow into a threat, track them down - maybe in the system the koalaphant works - and dispose of them).

Maybe, but that sounds like a suggestion... you should start a thread over in Suggestions & Feedback. :)

I really like Mobius187's idea about the points of interest and rewarding exploration more. I'm still running into creatures i've not seen before and that keeps me going but actual objects would add to the scenery and continue that excitement of discovery. Perhaps discovering more strange objects would help the player get used to what this strange land is all about and provide a slight resistance to insanity? Enjoying insanity at the moment though, despite just dieing twice in a row to strange shadow creatures....i reckon reviving with the same level of insanity is pretty cruel - killed me right after I revived! Loving the blinking eyes in the night and strange wobbling effects it brings. Also, I had a pet bird(: prisoner) in a cage but it didn't seem to slow down my insanity loss. I wonder if that will be changed, I thought talking to my bird would help, maybe I was too far gone at that point.

Edited by Not Jim Smith
accidental irritating smiling face icon