When's the Last Time You've Used a Bee Mine?

When's the last time you used a bee mine, or a fur roll, or a bat bat, or a dapper vest, or a grass suit, or a marble suit, or a night light, or a garland, or a rain hat, or a cat cap, or... the list goes on. There are a lot of items in DST (and DS) that are pretty much useless. That's not a bad thing, of course, learning what is and isn't a good idea to craft is part of the learning process that makes the game fun, but they're still useless after that.

26 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

When's the last time you used a bee mine, or a fur roll, or a bat bat, or a dapper vest, or a grass suit, or a marble suit, or a night light, or a garland, or a rain hat, or a cat cap, or... the list goes on. There are a lot of items in DST (and DS) that are pretty much useless. That's not a bad thing, of course, learning what is and isn't a good idea to craft is part of the learning process that makes the game fun, but they're still useless after that.

The grass suit has some limited uses, and the garland is sorta useful for newer players.

I'd say learning how make full use out of things is much much better than learning what not to use.

9 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

That's not a bad thing, of course, learning what is and isn't a good idea to craft is part of the learning process that makes the game fun, but they're still useless after that.

Never said it was a bad thing.

Also, Grass Suits are one of the of first things you craft when you are new to a PVP server.

18 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Marble suits for Dragon Fly and clearing damaged clockworks in the ruins

The marble suit is good if you don’t have the thulecite for a thulecite suit and dont mind the speed penalty when you really just want to value damage dealt over taken. The grass suit does a swell job of being campfire fuel.

The bee mine is helpful, however, going out and getting the resources (bees) for it is ususlly why people don’t make it. Otherwise, bee mines are quite useful for... almost any fight, really. I could see why you wouldnt want to use them against bee queen.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:17 AM, JellyUltra said:

When's the last time you used a bee mine, or a fur roll, or a bat bat, or a dapper vest, or a grass suit, or a marble suit, or a night light, or a garland, or a rain hat, or a cat cap

Just because an item isn't optimal doesn't mean it can't be fun to use :) 

fur roll: you're right. I rarely even sleep in this game. Winter's Feast is forcing me to. Completely pointless if you can just carry a prefabbed tent around, too.

bat bat: most people never craft them because of the materials. I have a cave entrance right by my main base and the bunny guard I've posted occasionally leaves me enough wings at once to make one. Could be nice to have on hand as your casual weapon while doing random stuff and not carrying around many healing items. bat bat + wigfred + jelly beans also makes for some silliness.

dapper vest: fashion? idk.

grass suit: pvp probably? helps protect newer players who don't know how to avoid taking hits? football helmets and wood armor are a ways down the line, having something available to keep people alive early in the learning curve is important to keeping them from getting discouraged.

marble suit: another item that is a bit more burdensome to get materials for. once you've done a couple harvests of a marble forest, though, you can get a few stacks of marble in seconds with a monster that can trample the trees for you. not like you need it often, but dragonfly, krampus, ruins clockworks are just what I've personally used them for recently. most stuff is better kited than facetanked, but some people prefer that playstyle and there's nothing necessarily wrong with it if that works for them.

night light: *edit* I'd been wanting to see if bee queen hat + night light = sanity battery but unfortunately its aura isn't even enough to counteract the effects of night. Very unfortunate. It also makes a super annoying sound. Standing next to the ruins ones with the hat on is pretty satisfying, though. Their aura is far more substantial and you gain sanity quite rapidly. sleep is for the weak, just stare into the void in the deep pits of the earth! I can see it being used for decoration or by later game players who want to have a large base light without having to mess with flammable junk when they already have stacks of nightmare fuel in their inventory (could be nice later in a no fire challenge run... hehe). Put one in a summer base to have a light source that doesn't bother flingos.

garland: early game item. not everything has to be useful during your entire playthrough. skins make this worth wearing for style points.

rain hat: in DST you get one deerclops eye a year for everyone to share. If I don't get the eyebrella, I wear the rain hat whenever I need to put the umbrella away to have a tool in hand, which is most of the time.

cat cap: this is literally my favorite item in the game it is beautiful you shut your mouth.

1 hour ago, trarex said:

Used once for solo Ancient Guardian

Only thing I've ever used it for. Packed like 5 of em just in case there wasn't terrain to block the guardian on. There was. As shown in the old Klaus video, one of them combined with stacks of captured bees can be used for various shenanigans just for fun (if you don't need to be on top of whatever they're fighting a single killer bee can work fine though). The only fights I can think they'd be much use in are moosegoose, ruins clockworks, and maybe depth worms and new moon shadow pieces. Actually kinda interested to see what magic bees could wreak against a tier 3 shadow knight...

Archived